Seldom-used words - M to A

…lots of obsidian in all sizes…

The word "obsidian" is one of my favorites. In my "Charlie & Mindy" series (see my story page, below), Mindy often scolds Charlie, when she thinks he's being too stubborn, for being "obsidian".

Mainly to remind him that he once wrote (on a college history exam) that Braddock, the British general, was an obsidian man.

Carlus, when my immediate family visited Yellowstone, there were plenty of meadows with no paths and no obvious signs to BEWARE. We parked our car alongside the deserted road, it was mid-May (before the vacationers arrived) because we wanted to only practice casting for trout with our new pole, since the official fishing season had not started. My husband, me, our two sons and infant daughter headed out across the meadow towards the Yellowstone River. The smell of the sulfur alerted us to the whereabouts of the several hot springs nearby and we weaved our way through carefully. In retrospect, it was foolhardy. Fortunately, our only problem was on the first cast of the new trout fishing pole, I landed a trout, and we were not prepared for that. My husband sprinted back along the same route to the car to retrieve the net, knife and cooler, while I sat with the kids on the bank of the river with a hooked trout, watching it gasp for air. We were more worried about being cited for illegal fishing (a hefty fine) than the threat of hot springs. Later on, we cooked the trout at our campsite without fear, as we saw fresh trout for sale in the market. Another time, I will tell you about the encounter my mother had with a bear, when I was a child. I might have related both of these stories before, and if I have please excuse my lack of memory. And obsidian is a great word.

Handley, have a small stone of snowflake obsidian and it is very lovely.

Laodicean - adj (1633) lukewarm or indifferent in religion or politics

Handley, I never said it was a fly fishing rod, it was your basic trout pole to be used with good ole bait. This was 1988 or thereabouts. I had learned to fish on Lake Arrowhead with my grandfather and a little rowboat. He used night-crawlers and that is what we used in Yellowstone. Very effective to say the least. Because the first fish I caught was not enough to feed us all (about a 14 inch rainbow trout), I decided to cast, again, and immediately caught a 12 incher. At that point, we grabbed our stuff and ran for the car to make our getaway. It is a great memory.

Laocoön - noun (1582) a Trojan priest killed along with his sons by two serpents after warning against the acceptance of the wooden horse left at Troy by the Greeks

If you used a bespoke shoe maker they would store your last until you needed a new pair of shoes. They would check your feet again and compare with the previous last. If there was no change the shoes could be made quicker. If there were changes they would adjust the last, or make a new one, and allow for future changes.

My uncle bought his from John Lobb.

London, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0) 207 930 8089

Handley, I never said it was a fly fishing rod, it was your basic trout pole to be used with good ole bait. This was 1988 or thereabouts. I had learned to fish on Lake Arrowhead with my grandfather and a little rowboat. He used night-crawlers and that is what we used in Yellowstone. Very effective to say the least. Because the first fish I caught was not enough to feed us all (about a 14 inch rainbow trout), I decided to cast, again, and immediately caught a 12 incher. At that point, we grabbed our stuff and ran for the car to make our getaway. It is a great memory.

Laocoön - noun (1582) a Trojan priest killed along with his sons by two serpents after warning against the acceptance of the wooden horse left at Troy by the Greeks

Do I get that your term "pole" (which I'd call a 'rod') is not the same as ours ?
(Like This ?)

Hello Trysail, nice to hear from you and the very interesting fact you included.

Handley, I'm not much of a fisherwoman, so I'll do my best. In my thinking, a fishing pole, no matter the construction, uses bait to catch fish. A fly-fishing rod, on the other hand, only uses hand-tied flies to catch and usually release fish. We specifically bought a trout pole, a lighter weight pole than the usual ones, because we thought it would be easier for our boys to master the art of casting. Of course, I could be wrong about all of this. You see, even though I live next to one of the best fly-fishing spots in America, that does not make me a fly-fisher.

It's funny how certain words evolve. I recently attended Alien Con 2016 in Santa Clara, CA, and received one of these upon entry. I hung it on my bedroom mirror, when I got back home, to remind me of all the great information I received while there.

lanyard - noun (15c) 1. a piece of rope or line for fastening something in a ship; esp: one of the pieces passing through deadeyes to extend shrouds or stays 2.a. a cord or strap to hold something (as a knife or a whistle) and usually worn around the neck b. a cord worn as a symbol of a military citation 3. a strong line used to activate a system (as in firing a cannon)

Hello Trysail, nice to hear from you and the very interesting fact you included.

Handley, I'm not much of a fisherwoman, so I'll do my best. In my thinking, a fishing pole, no matter the construction, uses bait to catch fish.

It's funny how certain words evolve. I recently attended Alien Con 2016 in Santa Clara, CA, and received one of these upon entry. I hung it on my bedroom mirror, when I got back home, to remind me of all the great information I received while there.

lanyard - noun (15c) 1. a piece of rope or line for fastening something in a ship; esp: one of the pieces passing through deadeyes to extend shrouds or stays 2.a. a cord or strap to hold something (as a knife or a whistle) and usually worn around the neck b. a cord worn as a symbol of a military citation 3. a strong line used to activate a system (as in firing a cannon)

To us, a 'pole' has the line emerging from the tin end of a long taper; they can be up to 30ft long.
A 'rod' is something similar, but nowhere near as long, but it has somewhere to put a reel (which contains the line) and a series of "eyes" through which the line is threaded. Once out of the top eye, the line is connected to whatever lure you fancy. A fly, perhaps, or a spinner, or even a float.

As a Boy Scout I wore a white cord lanyard originally attached to my sailor's knife i.e a folding knife with a marline spike for splicing rope (or for extracting stones from horses' hooves). Later I wore a leather one (a Bushman's thong) around my shoulder.

When acting as a referee for Scout football matches I wore an Acme whistle attached to a lanyard around my neck. I didn't wear it often. I was an incompetent referee, only chosen for the role because I was even more useless as a football player.

As a Boy Scout I wore a white cord lanyard originally attached to my sailor's knife i.e a folding knife with a marline spike for splicing rope (or for extracting stones from horses' hooves). Later I wore a leather one (a Bushman's thong) around my shoulder.

When acting as a referee for Scout football matches I wore an Acme whistle attached to a lanyard around my neck. I didn't wear it often. I was an incompetent referee, only chosen for the role because I was even more useless as a football player.

I preferred the whistles mounted on clips that fit over a pair of fingers. Then I didn't have to waste time trying to find the whistle at the end of its swinging lanyard. They taught us at referee school that we shouldn't carry the whistle in our mouths. That can lead to blowing the whistle when you don't mean it.

It can also lead to swallowed whistles when a player gives it all he's got 10 feet away from you and the ball catches you right in the face—which happened to me once. Knocked me flat on my ass.

My husband holds rank in The Honourable Artillery Company of The City of London, a ceremonial and charitable institution, and part of his uniform is a braided lanyard that goes around the neck and loops under the left arm, to be fastened on the right breast. According to him, it was originally meant to carry a spike for clearing debris from the touch-holes of cannons before priming them for the next shot. Now it's just a gold decorative item, with a pair of what he calls finial knots and tassels.

Handley, pole or rod, they are both used to catch fish.

Og, I was a lunch monitor at my children's school and had a whistle on a lanyard, which I used occasionally to stop some scuffle or other.

Carlus, good advice on whistle use, especially around ball players.

Lori, yes, the lanyard has many uses and decoration is one of them.

I like the sound of these;

lanugo - noun (15c) a dense cottony or downy growth hair; specif: the soft wooly hair that covers the fetus of some animals

lanuginous - adj (1575) covered with down or fine soft hair: DOWNY

I like the sound of these;

lanugo - noun (15c) a dense cottony or downy growth hair; specif: the soft wooly hair that covers the fetus of some animals

lanuginous - adj (1575) covered with down or fine soft hair: DOWNY

According to my parents I was born with lanugo. It is uncommon but not particularly rare in full term births.

My husband holds rank in The Honourable Artillery Company of The City of London, a ceremonial and charitable institution, and part of his uniform is a braided lanyard that goes around the neck and loops under the left arm, to be fastened on the right breast. According to him, it was originally meant to carry a spike for clearing debris from the touch-holes of cannons before priming them for the next shot. Now it's just a gold decorative item, with a pair of what he calls finial knots and tassels.

Congratulations to your husband for being part of a very worthy and honourable (as well as titled Honourable) organisation.

People who are serious about an activity frequently have their own jargon, in which they give their own particular meanings to commonly used words. They get upset when we mere mortals use "their" words with our commonly understood meanings.

Originally Posted by AllardChardon View Post

People who are serious about an activity frequently have their own jargon, in which they give their own particular meanings to commonly used words. They get upset when we mere mortals use "their" words with our commonly understood meanings.

Thank you.
A rod is a tapered pole which has a set of rings (to carry the line) and some where to put the reel.
A Pole does not feature such luxury. The line comes out straight the top.

Og, having lanugo at birth is very interesting. Maybe, that is some kind of a recessive gene, since it is unusual, like being an albino.

Handley, Carlus, and Og, the subject of rods and poles was a lively one. Thanks for your participation.

Friday is Ancient Alien day on the History Channel here, and today I learned about the green children of Woolpit. What a fascinating story! I had to share that.

lanthorn - noun (1587) chiefly Brit: LANTERN

Friday is Ancient Alien day on the History Channel here, and today I learned about the green children of Woolpit. What a fascinating story! I had to share that.

My brother and his family live in Woolpit. He helped to design and finance the village sign:

wool01_mid.jpg

The Green Children, if they existed, were possibly suffering from iron deficiency and malnutrition which can lead to a green tinge to the skin.

Og, having lanugo at birth is very interesting. Maybe, that is some kind of a recessive gene, since it is unusual, like being an albino.

Handley, Carlus, and Og, the subject of rods and poles was a lively one. Thanks for your participation.

lanthorn - noun (1587) chiefly Brit: LANTERN

1. Most foetuses have lanugo but it normally disappears a couple of weeks before birth.

2. Lanthorn - Older lanterns had windows made from thin pieces of horn flattened and shaped to fit the metal cage. The smell of the heated horn added to the stink of a crude candle.

My brother and his family live in Woolpit. He helped to design and finance the village sign:

wool01_mid.jpg

The Green Children, if they existed, were possibly suffering from iron deficiency and malnutrition which can lead to a green tinge to the skin.

When I was still a lowly 3rd Year medical student, my toxicology professor trotted this story out as a possible case of Argyria, where ingesting silver in microscopic quantities over an extended period can cause the skin to turn blue; coupled with jaundice from liver damage as a side effect of the silver ingestion, it's possible a greenish cast to the skin may have resulted. In the middle ages, it wasn't uncommon for silver coins to be thrown into wells for good luck, and also because silver has an antibacterial quality, known since ancient times. He did take pains to point out this was just a possible explanation for the Woolpit children's strange appearance, one of many, but it always stuck with me.

When I was still a lowly 3rd Year medical student, my toxicology professor trotted this story out as a possible case of Argyria, where ingesting silver in microscopic quantities over an extended period can cause the skin to turn blue; coupled with jaundice from liver damage as a side effect of the silver ingestion, it's possible a greenish cast to the skin may have resulted. In the middle ages, it wasn't uncommon for silver coins to be thrown into wells for good luck, and also because silver has an antibacterial quality, known since ancient times. He did take pains to point out this was just a possible explanation for the Woolpit children's strange appearance, one of many, but it always stuck with me.

The most obvious expanation is that they didn't exist and are a myth. Legends of The Green Man were more prevalent than Bigfoot or the Yeti.

However, if they existed, a green tinge is more likely than actually being green. But they apparently spoke no known language. If Woolpit had been closer to the sea or to a navigable river survivors of a shipwreck might have been an explanation, but Woolpit is far inland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_children_of_Woolpit

Og, I swear you have the best family connections! It is a fantastic sign. Thanks for the explanation of lanthorn. I knew there must be a reason for the difference and, of course, you would probably know all about it.

beachbum, it is an intriguing story that would not be easy to forget.

Regarding the Green Children; I found this on the Llewellyn website:
"The date was the 12th century a.d., but has been variously placed by chroniclers within the reign of King Stephen (1135-54) or King Henry II (1154-1189). The setting was the small Suffolk village of Woolpit, named after the deep trenches in which wolves were formerly captured. One day, the villagers were amazed to see two very unusual children crawling out of one of these trenches. A girl and a slightly younger boy, they were both dressed in strange clothing and spoke an unintelligible language. But by far the most striking characteristic of these children was their skin--it was green!

Unable to communicate with them, and thoroughly perplexed as to what should be done, the villagers took the girl and boy, who were weeping and very forlorn, to the home of Sir Richard de Calne, a local landowner. Here they remained, treated with great care and kindness by Sir Richard and his servants. But the boy fell ill, and in less than a year he had died. Happily, however, the girl survived, and as she grew older her skin’s green hue gradually disappeared. She eventually married a man from King’s Lynn in Norfolk, a senior ambassador of Henry II according to some sources, and became known as Agnes Barre.

During her years in Sir Richard’s household, Agnes learned English and was eventually able to reveal something about where she and her brother had come from and the manner in which they had reached Woolpit. She claimed that they were from a Christian place called St Martin’s Land, where it was always twilight (and also where, according to one medieval chronicler of this story, everything was green), and which was separated from a much sunnier place by a wide river. One day, while tending their father’s flocks in a field, Agnes and her brother had been led away by the sound of church bells into an underground realm, and then somehow found themselves in Woolpit."

The Ancient Alien episode said Agnes Barre married and had offspring, so some of her genes are still around, I would suspect.

lantern jaw - noun (1711) an undershot jaw

From the Wikipedia article about the Green Children:

The girl adjusted to her new life, but she was considered to be "rather loose and wanton in her conduct".

She sounds an ideal person for Literotica. :rolleyes:

Back