Prophecy of Ruin or Salvation (closed for heartofcourage)

Shame welled within Bryn when Claudius growled at her, his words making her head bow under the force of them. His job was knowing the art of war and understanding the enemy. She knew that she was in good hands, but the very thought that she might have to fight someone to the death made her physically ill.

Through his scolding, she looked straight at him, her blue eyes never leaving the old ranger as he used the fire in his voice to let her know how disappointed he was. Already she was making a bad impression and it hurt her heart to think that she was letting him down. Valius trusted her to learn and she wasn’t doing well enough.

Her lips parted to speak when the Ithiliens sprung into action. Claudius and Masha left the room to assist Dax while Enna pulled her back by the shoulders and secured her in the bedroom. Her eyes were wide, her heart pounding as she heard the sounds of a struggle outside the locked bedroom door. She gripped Enna’s hand tightly, shivering at the very thought that someone might be there to cause her harm.

Dax watched as Masha and Claudius sprung into action, throwing their knives as the other three turned to run back the way they’d come. He pushed past the two Ithiliens, sprinting down the stone corridor after their disappearing figures. Bursting into the main entrance as the meeting between councils was letting out, Dax let out a warning cry to the other Al’Tir guards.

It was mass chaos as their king was secured as well as Valius while the three men were cut off in their retreat. Dax walked forward with measured steps towards the restrained men, his gleaming deadly sword pulled from his scabbard and thrust against the throat of the man that had spoke to him first in the hallway.

“Tell me now, traitor, why you are at the apartment of Lady Bryn. You have ten seconds and if I believe that even one lie has left your lips, I will ensure that your death is slow and agonizing.”
 
The man Dax was threatening looked at the fierce guard with wide eyes. He was pale despite his desert tan and trembling visibly. From behind the king's guards, Valius frowned. If these were assassins, they were either very bad ones or they were very good actors.

"Mercy, please, lord!" His voice was frantic and nearly hysterical, "W-we were captured from one of the desert tribes and told that if we did a service, our families would be among the last to die!" He shook his head, "I-I have no hate for the Bryn Alerum, all the gods praise her."

"Then why are you here?" Valius should probably let Dax or Aldor ask the question but he wasn't the type to just stand and listen. "What serve were you told to do?"

The man was shaking even more, "T-to find the Bryn Alerum and t-tell her that she is not to have anything to do with you, Forest King, and to k-kill any of your people that we found with her. The Bryn Alerum belongs to the Superior Man and no other! He will have her and they will be the last to die when all the world is ashes! Th-that is what we were sent to say."

Using men from the desert tribes was a smart move; they'd look enough like the people of Al'Tir to move among them. How they got into the palace was an entirely different question, however.

Claudius had entered the room while the man was speaking, slipping over to where Valius was. "Two more near the lady's quarters, Sire. One dead, the other'll be lame if he lives. Masha's with Lady Bryn and Enna."

Valius nodded his acknowledgment of the ranger's update and his thanks as well. In the meantime, the man with Dax's sword at his throat had regained some composure, though he was still trembling. "M-mercy, please, lords! We harmed no one, mercy, I beg you!"

It was Aldor's decision and it was a good thing. Hearing the message the man had, Valius was furious. They were here to kill his people! To deny him Bryn! He'd have them cut down where they stood. Even if he knew they could have useful information. His hands were clenched into fists as he watched and waited for the older monarch's decision.

There was a knock on Bryn's door and then Masha's voice came through it, muted but distinct. "All's clear. One down here and another wounded. Not much fight in them. Sounds like the other three got caught quickly, Claudius went to report."
 
Bryn heard Masha’s voice through the thick door and trembled at the thought that men had died that night. She was moving towards the door before she thought about it, Enna calling to her to stop. She didn’t listen as she pulled open the portal and stared at the scene just down the hall.

It was grizzly, two men lying in pools of blood as Masha stood nearby, her gaze turning towards Bryn as she appeared. She saw the shock in the ranger’s face, the frantic energy coming to the surface to protect her at all cost. Bryn wouldn’t have any of it as she pushed past the woman and knelt at the side of the man that was still breathing.

Blood was soaking into her skirt as she reached out to touch the wound on the man’s chest, his dark eyes turning towards her. He was surprised, she could see that much. Perhaps he didn’t expect that the Bryn Alerum would be at his side in his darkest hour. Bryn gasped as he reached up and gripped her wrist tightly, pulling her hand to rest over the heart that was fluttering wildly.

“I…I…I didn’t…” The man stuttered until Bryn pressed her fingers against his lips, shaking her head.

“Shhhh….” She soothed him, her free hand stroking through his blonde hair. “Do not speak.” He looked young, perhaps around her own age, and he was incredibly frightened. “You are from Al’Tir?”

The man nodded his head, shame crossing his features as she guessed that he had stolen into the palace to do a misdeed. He was a proud man, one that had only done what he’d done to save his family.

“What’s your name?” She asked softly, his heart stuttering beneath her fingertips as his eyes drooped before she forced them open once more. She felt Enna and Masha gathering behind her, silently standing by as the watched her closely.

“Orr.” He answered simply, his name coming in a harsh rush through his lips as blood bubbled forth from his battered lungs.

“Orr.” Bryn repeated, tears welling in her blue eyes as the fear in the young man’s turned to tears. He was frightened. He was dying. He was so far from home with no one to turn to. Perhaps Enna and Masha wouldn’t understand what she was doing, but she wouldn’t let this man die alone. “I forgive you, Orr.”

With those words, she felt his body go limp. A single breath left his lips and his life slipped free from this world. Bryn sighed softly, tears trickling down her cheeks at the senseless loss of this young man’s life. She said a small prayer to the Gods to forgive them for what they had done and she soon was pulling herself to her feet.

She didn’t get far down the hallway when Masha grabbed her by the upper arm. She turned her gaze to the young woman and squared her shoulders. “I will not let those other men die like him as well.”

Jerking her arm free, she hurried down the hall, the sounds of footsteps following close behind her as they made their way towards the commotion that had gathered in the great hall. As Bryn entered through a corridor, she saw Dax’s sword raised to strike the killing blow to the three before him. Valius was red with anger and her father was watching stoickly from the side.

“Stop!” She called out over the commotion, all eyes turning towards her as Dax stayed his sword. “You cannot kill those men.”

The entire hall seemed to erupt in a flurry of voices. Perhaps it was the blood on her gown or the force behind her words, but the men of Al’Tir wanted to avenge their Goddess. She moved towards Dax, placing herself between his blade and the men that he had meant to kill.

“Who are we to shed the blood of innocent men? Our country is under attack by a force that needs to be dealt with and all we can do is think of killing our own? These men are not to blame for anything. Look at them! They‘re boys!” She said in a soft voice, her information gathered from the simple actions of the dying man. “I know why they’re here.”

Her father’s gaze turned towards Valius and then back towards her, his eyes softening as he let out a defeated sigh. He hadn’t wanted her to know, but there was a strength in this knowledge. She didn’t want to run and hide for the rest of her life. Her life with Valius would be glorious but only if she stopped the civil war that was threatening to erupt right there in her own home.

“I beseech you all to think about what you would do to save the ones you love. Is it worth killing over?”
 
Gods, what force of personality she had! To those of Al'Tir, of course, she had the force of religion behind her and it made her objection and her clear, pure voice carry weight and authority beyond her legal and physical station. But even to Valius and his people, Masha and Enna having run into the hall after the redhaired girl, the conviction and earnest truth of her words rang like a bell struck true.

Valius frowned. It was worth killing over. These men had come here to kill his people and if they got carried away, they might have hurt Bryn too. But they hadn't. Did that make a difference?

He wasn't sure if it did, in his heart. But it did in Bryn's. There was also the matter that these men had been forced to come here. What would he do if his family were threatened? If she were threatened?

"It is," he said into the silence that had fallen at Bryn's question, broken only by the whimpering of the men she protected. "It is worth killing for, but not these men."

He turned to Aldor. The older man would know now that he'd told Bryn. He hoped it wouldn't sour their relationship but he would stand by his decision. "Your Majesty, if I may make a suggestion. These men have seen our enemy's camps at least in part and may have a great deal of useful intelligence. More than they think themselves, no doubt. Let them be fully debriefed and treated fairly."

"But!" His voice rang out as he turned to look at the captives, "As they came here to do murder and are traitors to your nation, no matter the motive, there must be consequences. When the fight against these marauders comes, let these three be among the first to fight them, to stand in the front lines of the conflict while it lasts. Should they die, they will have redeemed their honor. Should they live, then clearly the gods have forgiven them."

He inclined his head, "It is only a suggestion, Your Majesty, as this is your land and justice is yours to mete out." But it should satisfy all those involved and get them some information about their enemy. "All will abide by you ruling, I am sure." His eyes moved to King Aldor and then to the trio of boys and Bryn standing before them. As did most of the gazes in the room.

What would she think of his solution? Would she think him cruel still? Whichever way her thoughts went on it, he had no doubt she would tell him. And that was both a pleasing and intimidating thought, but he liked it that way.
 
Bryn winced as Valius frowned at her words and said that it was worth killing over. She thought that her lungs might burst from the held breath that she had taken while she was protecting those men behind her. She knew it was only a matter of moments before Dax shoved her aside and struck the killing bow and she only prayed that he be swift with his justice.

Then came the rest of Valius’s statement and she turned her surprised blue eyes towards her beloved. A small smile curled the corners of her lips. He was young, an untried king, but he had a good sense of justice and he was backing up her proclamation without hesitation.

He was defending men that weren’t even from his kingdom, providing a just way that they could prove their worth to her father and the kingdom of Al’Tir. Her father was thinking over his options. He was a man that carefully considered every angle of a situation and it seemed that this time would be no different. She was sure that these men were not cold blooded assassins and she simply hoped that he thought the same.

“You have committed treason against the crown.” Aldor’s voice finally sounded as he stepped forward, every inch the imposing king that he was. “And even more egregious you have committed treason again the Gods themselves by daring to do harm to the Bryn Alerum. However, it seems that she is quicker to forgive then myself. You shall prove your worth to this kingdom by serving in the front lines of battle against this common enemy. Should you fall, you will be honored for your courage. Should you survive, you shall return to your families. Should you commit treason again, no one on this earth will save you.”

With that, he nodded and Dax sheathed his sword, more guards stepping forward to take the men away from the great hall amid the commotion. Bryn smiled in relief as she moved towards Valius and wrapped her arms tightly around his warm body. It did much for her nerves to hold him, decorum be damned.
 
Valius had no doubt of Aldor's judgment or the last word he had spoken. The men who had been given reprieve looked both grateful and terrified as they were taken away by palace guards. He watched them go and wondered if this attack would actually be a mistake by their enemy. They knew almost nothing about them so far. The prisoners would be able to increase their knowledge by quite a bit.

Bryn came to him then, the hem of her skirt bloody and a similar smear on one hand. It looked as though it was not hers but still, it made his heart ache with worry and his fury surge again.

Whoever was behind this...Valius would see him dead.

Then she embraced him and all those dark and vicious thoughts were pushed away by the simple wonder of the moment. From what he knew of Al'Tir's customs, this might be scandalous...but their customs could rot in hell.

Valius arms went about her and he held her close and tight, feeling her warmth, the softness of her slender form pressing to him in a way that would be delightful if it had happened for any other reason. "I'm glad you're all right," he said. "More than anything, I'm glad for that."

He looked down at her, stroking her flaming hair. "I've good news, if surprising, as well. Perhaps we should go somewhere a little less, ah, public to discuss it." He'd say back to her chambers but the bodies of the attackers there would need to be retrieved yet and the blood cleaned up. "I'd suggest my suite but I would not want to risk your reputation or cause more of a scandal that we already have," he said with a fond smile.
 
The moment that his arms wrapped around her, Bryn felt like she was home. It felt right to be hugged by the handsome man before her. He was concerned for her. She knew that he was probably furious with her for what she’d done, but she wouldn’t have changed anything.

He was watching her with those handsome dark eyes and she smiled as he stroked through her red hair, telling her that he had news. She felt her heart squeeze tightly, wondering what the outcome of the negotiations had been. She shivered and nodded her head, suggesting that they retire to the library for their talk.

She took his hand as he smiled down at her and let him lead the way. She was nervous, wondering just what he was going to tell her. Once they were inside the library and the door was closed to all but the both of them, she turned toward to the man that she was falling for and gave him a soft smile.

“Val, before you begin, I want you to know that I didn’t do what I did this evening because of any rebellion within me. The man in the hall…” She paused and gathered her thoughts. “HE was young and he was frightened. I couldn’t let him die alone. I could only hope that if that man were you…someone would do the same.”

She moved forward and hugged him warmly again, her lips pressing to his in a soothing kiss. She was still trembling from what she had seen and heard that evening, but being with Valius did her heart and soul a world of good.
 
It wasn't the first time he'd kissed a pretty girl in a library. It was, however, the best by far. Her kiss was eloquent in a way words couldn't be; speaking of her fear and grief, her relief and care, her boundless mercy and her love. He answered her lips with his own passionate relief at her safety and his regret that she had to lose a bit of her innocence this day.

He held her after the kiss broke, holding her close to him and just enjoying the feel of her being near and the smell of her hair. "You are beautiful, my Bryn," he said with a gentle sigh, "in soul and body. Your father was quite right at first; you are more than any man deserves."

Valius was silent for a minute or so after that, trying to put the unpleasantness that had passed out of his mind as much as he could. In truth, he wanted to know more about it and about what the prisoners could tell them. But it would have to wait.

"I have news. Unexpected and best," he said. Valius looked down at her, his eyes meeting those brilliant and shining blue orbs. "The negotiations are over; an agreement has been made. We will be married, and your father has consented that the marriage will be in Ithilien. Though we may pledge our troth here in the Temple before we take our leave home."

Home. For him, but away from the home she'd known almost all her life for her. Ithilien would become her home. His people would fall in love with Bryn as surely as those of Al'Tir had. How would anyone not? "We will be married, if you will have me as your husband."
 
“I like it when you call me your Bryn.” She said while she was nestled against his chest, his heart beating against her cheek as he was silent for a moment or two after his declaration.

Her smile was like the sun breaking through the clouds as he told her that the negotiations were over and the agreement had been made. She was his, totally and completely. She couldn’t have been more pleased. “Of course I will have you for my husband. I do not think I could find a better match then you.”

“I only hope that the negotiation did not cost you much, my lord.” Her lips turned into a teasing smile as her fingers curled into the fine fabric of his tunic. “You might well find the price too high for a woman such as me.”

She squealed as his hands gripped her tightly against him, her laughter high and light like the tinkling of a bell as she savored the young, pure love that he showered her with. Of course she also looked forward to the passion that they would share after they were wed. Her heart was near to bursting with the news that she was to go to Ithilien with him and his delegation and the wedding would take place there.

“I hope that I can be the queen you need me to be, Val. I have my fears and doubts. I shall try my best though.” She told him, a smile on her lips telling him that she was more than up to the challenge. “Claudius might be harsh in his training method, but I do feel that after this evening it will serve me well.”
 
"Oh, it was quite worth it," he grinned, winking at her. "And after we've made love for the first time, I know I'll think that I cheated Al'Tir outrageously." He'd made a very generous deal; it was more than worthy of a royal princess. He'd never have agreed to it for Charissa. But Bryn was worth it and more.

He then laughed and actually lifted her up off the ground, swinging her round in his arms and kissing her again. There would be trouble ahead for them both, he knew that, but right now everything seemed bright. She was illuminating his future for him, he knew that.

"I know you'll be a queen that my people will love, will gladly fight for. You will be an inspiration to all of us. I know you'll succeed; not that it may not be challenging at times, but you'll do well, my Bryn." He hugged her again and then sighed as she mentioned Claudius and her training.

"Claudius is, well, he is just an old man and all that entails. But he's an old fighting man and that makes a difference." Valius shook his head, "He's seen almost all of his friends his own age die in battle and many of those he's trained as well. It eats at him sometimes. I think he worries that if he's too soft or too nice, if he lets up on your training, your skills won't be as sharp as they could be and it could cost you your life."

Few people knew or even understood how much responsibility the old ranger felt for his fellow soldiers and those he directly trained even more so. Or how alone he was in so many ways.

"Bear him well, love. He's very good at what he does; one of the best. And don't take it personally, the things he says aren't meant to hurt you, they're to try and inspire you to show him up. Or to make a point about a lesson, or teach you to control your emotions. In training, he never does or says anything without a purpose to it."
 
Bryn blushed when Valius mentioned their first coupling. She had no doubt that the first time would be wonderful but it still made her quiver with nerves when she thought about it. Then he was gathering her into his arms and swinging her in a wide circle around the room. She squealed and clung to him, her laughter filling the space as his lips claimed hers in a passionate kiss.

“Claudius looks upon Enna with…interest.” Bryn commented, remembering the way that the old soldier had looked at the dress she’d been gifted with interest. “Perhaps a good woman in his life would do him a world of good. Do you think Enna is interested in Claudius?”

There she was, newly betrothed to the king of Ithilien and she was already playing matchmaker among his delegation. She was growing to adore the people that he had around him and she could see a peaceful life in Ithilien as a very real possibility.

“I do not take anything Claudius says to hear, Val. He is a good man, I see that. He simply lets his lips run sometimes and it’s hard to let it process at times. He will teach me well. I’m sure of that.”

Bryn couldn’t stop herself from kissing his handsome lips once more. She felt giddy with joy, her belly warm with the feeling that he loved her back. It was most definitely glorious to be in his arms, to be held so tightly, to be the only one in his life.

“I do have one question, Val.” She said in a whispered voice. “Do I get a big crown?” She could surprise the giggle that escaped her lips at the look she was given and soon she squealed as she was gathered close to his body once more, a look of pure joy on her face that he was allowing her to be mischievous.
 
Valius laughed, falling backwards into a chair and pulling Bryn with him onto his lap. It was as if the last ten minutes of blood and fear had never happened. "You are the most adorable thing in the world," he declared. He'd say that she'd get two big crowns, but she would likely not get the joke. "Yes, you'll get a big crown, though it's not as big as mine. We can fix that though. Maybe add a foot or so of height to it; make you look very regal indeed. Your neck would hurt like hell, but you'd have the biggest crown out there."

He leaned in and nuzzled at her neck, then kissed up the graceful arch to her ear, nibbling lightly on it. He felt like a boy in the throes in his first love. He also felt tempted, very tempted, to push the physical boundaries of their relationship but knew it was not wise.

The incident tonight proved just how dangerous things were here. Her people were firmly on her side but the Glacans were cunning and would be smart enough to try and use anything that happened against Aldor and Al'Tir. It would be hard for them both but they would have to behave until they were married.

Which would be in Ithilien.

Which meant at least a week of travel time. And then planning the wedding and getting everything together and organized. So it would end up being at least a month, most likely.

Gods. But again, she was worth it.

Valius leaned back then in the chair, just holding his fiancee in his arms. He wished Del and Vari could have met her. As usual, his heart ached when he thought of his lost siblings and all the things they would never share. But the pain was not quite as sharp as it once was. Bryn was good for him; already she was changing him for the better.

"We shouldn't stay here too long, probably," he said after a few minutes. "I don't know what to do now. Go back and prepare for the morrow. And you, my love, must make ready to move. I do not think we will be here for more than a few days. With the Glacans so close and sending infiltrators, your father will want you safely away before much more time has passed."
 
Bryn laughed as he pulled her down to sit on his lap, his nose nuzzling against her neck and ear. It made her shiver and moan softly, her body remembering the pleasure that he’d given her earlier that day. She held him close, her eyes closed as she took in his fresh, clean scent. It soothed her and centered her mind and for that she was grateful.

“I can’t imagine you wearing a crown. You’re already so regal in your bearing that there’s no doubt you’re the king.” She glanced up at him with a smile, her fingers tracing patterns over his fine tunic as he seemed far away in thought.

She wondered what he was thinking about. His family, most likely, she thought to herself. She couldn’t take away the hurt entirely, but at she could make it less painful to think back on his brother and sister with fondness instead of pain. She simply held him tighter, her cheek pressed against his shoulder before he spoke again.

“There’s so much to do in such little time.” She said as he mentioned that she needed to make ready to move. She had a million questions to ask him, like did she simply need her personal possessions or would she need to plan on bringing furnishings too. She felt silly about thinking of such things as he was thinking about her safety.

“We shall go to the Temple tomorrow and have the Mother Priestess do the hand fasting. I will have to have Enna implore the palace seamstresses to make me suitable clothing for Ithilien. It’s surely colder than Al’Tir and in the colors of your house, of course.” Her mind was spinning with everything that was happening and she was trembling with nervous energy.

She was quiet for a moment, trying to focus on the next words that would leave her lips. “I wish to make sure that everything is pleasing to you, Val. I feel overwhelmed with what to take and what to leave. Tell me of your home. What will the palace be like?”
 
He couldn't help but smile at her words. And she thought she might not be the best queen or wife. Valius leaned down and kissed her; a light, brief touch this time. "Us, my Bryn. We'll make things pleasing to us, not just me. We're in this together, even if we aren't married yet, that's how it is to me."

"But yes, it is colder in Ithilien and you'll need new clothes." He grinned, "Though I hope you'll keep the dress you wore earlier today and any others like it that you have." They couldn't do anything but he could and did want to look.

He smiled and shifted her in his arms, "Well, the palace is not the first palace of the royal family. It's only about 90 years old and was built mostly for defense but they tried to keep livability and comfort in mind too." Valius had never had to describe the palace to anyone before, it was strange to do so in a way. "There are sort of three sections to the palace, each built further up and into a mountain side. There's a main gate and wall with towers set along it at the outside; between it and the next wall are most barracks and stables, most of the animals kept there, as well as some spaces that are gardens. For vegetables mostly."

The young king traced a line in the air with his fingers, "The second gate is back from that space about two miles. It's got the usual towers and defenses and beyond it is a wider green space that has more gardens, still vegetables but also herbs, flowers, and even two orchards. A lot of the palace servants and staff live in the second ring, as it's called. There's a small smithy there and a woodworking shop. Past that is the third gate, the tallest and thickest of the walls, and the palace where we will live is past there. The palace is stone, naturally, and brick. It's very sold and strong. Most rooms have a fireplace because it can get very cold in the winter but it's not drafty at all; it's very well built. The walls have paintings and tapestries to decorate them for the most part, though there are also the occasional statue. The palace has large rooms; with lots of spaces for bathing, for practicing archery or fighting, a large library, and a falconry on the highest tower for messenger hawks and hunting falcons."

He drew in a breath, "There are trees there too. Not as orchards but here and there throughout the grounds. There is an aquaduct that comes out of the mountain the palace is built into and channels of fresh water flow into certain areas."

Valius paused, scratching a bit at his head. "I'm not sure...what else to say about it right now. Does that help at all? I've never had to describe it before," he said with a soft laugh.
 
Us. It was all for us. Bryn was taken back by Valius’s words. Here in Al’Tir there were marriages for love, certainly, but the woman always deferred to the man. It was what the husband wanted and the wife was hardly considered. They were going to be a true partnership and Bryn’s smile brightened as he leaned down and kissed her with a brief touch to her lips.

He was describing their new home and she tried to imagine this green paradise in her mind. It sounded lovely and she couldn’t wait to explore her newly adopted land with her new husband at the first chance. She smiled as he looked at her with a soft laugh, scratching his head as he tried to decide if he’d given enough information.

“It’s perfect, Val. I think I shall bring a few of the possessions that I enjoy to help decorate our apartments.” She had decided that she would not live in fear of angering him. No, she would express herself and she knew he would be happy with any decision that she made. “And I shall be ready to leave in a few days time. I cannot wait to begin this journey.”

She leaned forward and pressed her full lips against her betrothed’s ear. “And I cannot wait to experience the pleasure that you gave me again. To think of that moment sets my nerves alight. It meant so much to be, Val.”

She kissed his cheek before she pulled back with a wide smile and went to stand up, holding out her hand to him. It was about time to retire for the evening. It had been a day full of hardships and first moments. She couldn’t wait for the next day where she would be joined to the man sitting before her forever.
 
He was about to tell her that she should bring whatever she wanted with her; they could arrange wagons for some furniture. The wagons might have to come after them later, so the furniture might not travel with them but it was very doable. His mouth had even opened to start to speak and then-

Then she pressed those sweet lips to his ear and said the sweetest, dirtiest thing he'd heard from her yet. Gods, it sent a pure lust right to his manhood as if one of the goddesses had struck him with a bolt.

Maybe one of them had, in a way. According to Al'Tir's religion, anyway.

"You are amazing," he said as they stood, taking her hand. "How I'm going to make it until we're wed, I've no idea." He gave her hand a squeeze before lifting it to his lips and kissing it, then slipping it through his arm as they exited the library. His entire delegation, plus Dax, was waiting for them.

"Congratulations, Sire, Your Highness," Enna curtsied to them both, smiling. "I understand we'll be going home as soon as possible and meeting a priest on the border to get you married before His Majesty's will breaks?"

The other laughed at the noblewoman's sally, even Valius smiling after he tried to give her a dirty look. She was incorrigible. Bryn was right; they needed to set her up with Claudius. "Thank you, Countess. And all of you, thank you. I am a very happy man and it could not be without any of you."

Valius looked at Dax, "I don't know if you will be coming with my fiancee, Sir Dax, but know that if you so chose, you will be welcomed and honored in my court." Then he looked at the others, "Friends, if you will accompany me as I take the Lady Bryn to her chambers for the evening."

His night would not end here. He wanted to know what the prisoners had shared with as soon as possible and see what measures were being taken to tighten security. But seeing Bryn to her rooms would be a pleasant beginning to what could be a long and grim night.
 
“I am sure, my love, that there are things you might teach me that will be beneficial to both of us and save us from the shame of an early consummation as well.” Bryn said as he kissed the back of her hand.

She might have been marrying into a more progressive society, but she was still a daughter of Al’Tir at heart. She couldn’t fathom giving herself to Valius until after their marriage even though both of them burned for the other. She was intrigued by the idea of giving each other pleasure in the way he had shown her that afternoon. It brought a smile to her lips to think of such things.

As they exited the library arm in arm, Bryn was surprised to find most of his delegation waiting. Enna’s words made her blush and smile up at her charming fiancee. He might have tried to play tough and regal, but he was a normal man that enjoyed a bawdy laugh with his friends. Bryn squeezed his arm as he smiled and laughed softly.

Bryn turned her eyes towards Dax as Valius mentioned that he would welcome at court. She hoped that Dax came with them. She couldn’t imagine her life without Dax just around the corner. He was like her brother and she prayed that he would consider the trip to Ithilien at least.

The entire party made their way to her chambers. She was glad to see that the bodies had been removed and the stone floor scrubbed. As Valius saw her safely into her room, she turned and pressed a quick kiss to his lips, blushing at the knowledge that those that had followed them had seen the action.

“Until tomorrow, my lord.” She says, turning to enter her room when she paused and looked at Enna and Masha. “Enna? Masha? Might I borrow you both for a few moments?”

A final smile at the men before the women entered the room and the door was closed tightly. “Enna, I must as for a favor from you this evening. Would you see to it that the palace seamstress starts straight away on new clothing that is in the style of what you would wear in Ithilien as well as in the colors of Valius’s house? I also must find him a ring before we go to the Temple for the hand fasting. I would be forever in your debt.”

She smiled at the woman as she nodded and then left her and Masha alone. “And you, Masha. We must discuss a matter of extreme importance.” She took the woman’s arm and pulled her to a seat. “We are to be matchmakers, Masha. How do we get Enna and Claudius together?”
 
Masha blinked; the woman warrior's face blankly surprised. She'd thought this would be about either more training or her thing with Dax, but...this? "Enna and...Claudius?" Bryn wanted to get those two together? How she'd even conceived of the idea was lost on Masha. Claudius was thirty years older than Enna! Not to mention he wasn't the most romantic soul in the world; the bawdy old rat. Of course, Enna was pretty earthy too. Maybe there was something to this.

"My Lady," Masha said after a few moments, slowly grinning, "I think you're going to be very interesting to have around." She tipped her head back and raised her brows, "How to get them together, huh? Well, Enna did have a crush on Claudius when she was a girl, not that you'd know that. She's been over it for years but that kind of thing never fully goes away. She admires strong wills and strong bodies; likes the male form, you might say, Enna does. And 52 or no, Claudius has an excellent form under those clothes. Scarred, yes, but he's all muscle under there...hmm." She pursed her lips, "And Enna likes to think of herself as a man hunter, likes a challenge..."

She looked over at the redhaired girl, "Your people seem pretty restrained so I don't know if this is even possible. But is there a hot springs or a public bath or anything here? If we could get her to see him without his shirt at least, ideally with nothing on but a towel, that'd revive some of those old feelings. And if we talked about how Claudius hasn't had a lover in almost a decade, that he's said no woman could ever match him again, and maybe a few comments giving him somewhat legendary prowess in the bedroom, I think that might put the idea in her head."

She shook her head, "As for as it goes for him...he's looks a lot and he jokes and banters but he hasn't had a lover in nine years. I don't know that he'd believe anyone was interested in him. Not sure how to get him into it, but if Enna goes hard enough after him we may not have to work too hard on that."

"...Is matchmaking something you do a lot?"

Valius, Magnus, and Claudius had marched back down the hall from Bryn's rooms. The three men's faces grew more serious the further they got from the angelic beauty and her radiant heart. "Magnus."

"Sire?" The old nobleman looked to his king.

"We should still have a messenger hawk or two that haven't been sent yet." Valius crossed his arms over his chest. "I want you to send a message telling the Crown Tree to mobilize and advance to the Fire Nation border. I also want the rangers and forces on the border on alert until further notice. All lords are to make sure their forces are in fighting condition and keep one Tree ready to move at my word."

Magnus nodded, "Yes, Sire. I assume you expect this enemy to attack us as well?"

He nodded. "Probably not until the official word goes out about Bryn and I after tomorrow's handfasting at the earliest. But I want our people ready for them." The old lord bowed and headed off. "Claudius, go find whoever's interrogating the prisoners and see what they've learned. I'm going to see if Aldor's still up and go over the tactical and security situation as much as he's willing to."

Valius directly couldn't help much but he had a good number of his rangers with him. They could man walls or do other tasks to free up more of Aldor's people in the short term.

Claudius saluted, "Yes, Sire. Keep your wits about you. Maybe you they send knives after next."

"To their everlasting regret if they do," Valius answered. "I'll keep sharp watch, my friend."
 
“Yes, Enna and Claudius.” Bryn said with a slight smile. She saw the surprise on Masha’s face and was surprised that she herself had not see the attraction between the two. “Oh, Masha, he’s so sad. It’s a deep sadness and Valius explained what has happened in his life. He looks upon Enna as if she’s something special and I think it would do him some good to have a love such as her.”

She laughed softly as Masha told her that she’d be interesting to have around. She wasn’t one to meddle in the business of other people, but for her friends and family she always wanted the best that could be had. The two of them together would be perfect.

“Surely there will be no greater challenge then Claudius. I think she must already have tender feelings for him. She is quick to soothe his anger. She watches him when she thinks no one’s looking.” Bryn thought about the question of a public bath or spring. “There is a bathhouse that the soldiers like to use. It’s at the back of the palace. It’s fed by a natural hot spring. There is also a secluded spot for the ladies to bathe and lounge. That would be perfect!”

The grin on her face spread as Masha seemed completely into the idea of bringing those two together. A blush spread across her cheeks as Masha asked if matchmaking was something that she was use to doing. Bryn took a seat on a low sofa and shook her head. “No, this is my first time, to be honest with you.”

“It also hasn’t escaped my notice the way that you and Dax look upon one another. Dax is a special person to me, so I ask that you please don’t break his heart. It’s already been broken so many times in the past.” It was all she would say on the casual relationship between Dax and Masha that had blossomed. Masha seemed like a woman that enjoyed the company of a man and she hoped that in the long run, Dax wouldn’t lose his heart completely to her.


Aldor was enjoying a finely distilled spirit before he retired when it had been announced that Valius was waiting to speak to him. He bade the guard to let him enter and he poured another glass, motioning to Valius to take a seat across from him in front of the roaring fire. It was scorching in the daytime but at night the weather could turn cold and brutal.

“Do not tell me that you have second thoughts already about your marriage to Bryn.” He said with a smile as he drank down the spirit and then poured himself another. “Marriage is a unsavory business for most. There is so much brutal fighting and nerves that it seems it’s never worth it. Well, in my experience, at least.”
 
Masha almost said something tart and a bit unkind when Bryn brought up her thing with Dax. What business was it of hers? Dax was a big boy, a very big boy as it turned now, and he knew what he was doing.

But she was just looking our for her friend and she could understand that. Masha sighed and smiled a bi wryly, "You must think I'm a huge slut, don't you? Well. I don't intend on breaking anyone's heart. But I'm not looking for an epic romance and settling down yet either. Dax and I are...we're having fun, and enjoying each other. He seems to have views on that more like us than your people, to be honest. Or maybe the men here are just different about that then the women," she shrugged.

"I don't want to hurt him. I'll talk to him tonight, okay? Make sure we're on the same page and there aren't any misunderstandings. Is that fair?" She hoped it would be. It had only been a few days but Dax was a skilled and generous playmate, she'd hate to have to stop now. But she meant it when she said she didn't want to hurt him.

She patted the girl's hand. Bryn had a tremendous heart; she'd barely met her but already Masha felt an enormous affection and respect for the girl. She'd make a Queen to be reckoned with; men and women would follow her and adore her. "As for our scheme, I'll mention the soldiers' bathing area to Claudius. I know he always takes a bath before going to bed if he can, usually 10ish." Being his protege did help her to know his habits. "If we can get Enna there at the same time, cause a little "misunderstanding" where one of them goes to the wrong area, we might get results sooner than we think."



Valius laughed, "Second thoughts? Your Majesty, I'm happier than I've been in years. Possible ever." He meant every word. He shook his head, "Even facing a war with those lunatics I'm happy."

His smile did fade a bit at the rest of Aldor's greeting. The old king had not had a pleasant marriage himself, that much was clear. He shouldn't say anything about it, but...hell with it. "Marriage takes work, even when love is there. I know that. But I am confident that ours will be a good one."

He took a breath, "Your Majesty...Aldor, as one king to another, you seem to not be very happy, my brother monarch. I don't know how things work here in Al'Tir and I apologize in advance if I'm about to say something awful, but...have you considered taking a mistress or an official royal concubine? A woman you at least like and who likes you that you can spend some time with now and then?"

Now that it was out, he plunged ahead. "I know how heavy a burden a nation can be. It ages men before their time, it did so to my father before his death. Is there not some way for you to have some happiness in your life to defray that terrible stress even a little?"

He held up a hand, "I did not come here to speak about that, in truth, and I regret it if I have overstepped, but I beg your forgiveness as I am ignorant of the ways of your people. In my land, there have been kings who had a royal concubine when their marriage was a purely political one without affection or care, so there is a precedent. I won't need that but if it would help you, my brother king and soon to be father-in-law...think on it, at least."

Valius then squared his shoulders, "I came to ask about how security will be changing in response to this latest incident. I also wished to put the troops I brought with me at your disposal while I am here. If they can ease the burden of duty on your men, or free some up to move or be used elsewhere, then it is all to the good. We are allies, after all."
 
Bryn blushed at the word slut as it left Masha’s lips. It conjured up images of women who sold themselves for money in the market. Masha most certainly wasn’t one of those women. “No…I do not think that you are a…slut.” She said the word in a whispered voice, her cheeks brightening even more.

“I believe it is very fair, Masha. I certainly didn’t mean to pry.” She said softly as she felt the other woman patting her hand. Her smile returned when she started scheming about getting Claudius and Enna together. It was a wonderful distraction from the horror that had happened that day and it made Bryn happy to think about.

“Perhaps tomorrow after the hand fasting we might speak about this with Enna. There is much to do in the planning of my move to Ithilien. We might casually mention the bath area during that conversation.” The plan was coming together and Bryn could say that she was truly happy with the way things were going.


Aldor couldn’t help but laugh as Valius spoke about taking a mistress. “We are not as conservative as you might think, Valius.” He said with a grin as he thought about on the time that he’d truly been happy.

“I had my chance at love and I lost it. Tali was a breath of fresh air, like sunlight on a darkened day. She was generous, kind, lovely, soft spoken…she should have been a queen in her own right. If I had been a more courageous man I might have pressed my suit, but my Queen had a deep distain for the serving woman that had taken my heart.”

“I had returned to from a battle with a violent tribe in the north to discover that she was gone. There was no word on where she’d gone or why, but I soon learned that Sophi had discovered our relationship and driven the girl away in fear. I only learned that she was carrying Bryn when I received news of her death.”

“I fear that I’ve lost my chance at one more great love. However, when I see you with Bryn, I have hope that at least one monarch will not be saddled with a marriage that will drive him crazy.” Aldor downed another drink before he poured one more.

He listened as Valius mentioned the new security that needed to be implemented. “I believe we might come to an agreement to protect Bryn as she travels. We will send the best of my soldiers to the border and I will entrust that you have men at the disposal. Perhaps we should consider having a mixture of both your archers and my muscle.”
 
So she didn't think Masha was a slut. That was comforting; it would have been a bit depressing if the radiant young woman had judged her so. Yet then, what did she think? She was not at all like a woman of Al'Tir as far as she could tell; a fighter, a leader of men and women, and one who went after men she liked and had sex without marriage. Valius had said that such matters were taken very seriously here; that sex before marriage was very taboo. Perhaps it was only for noblewomen or members of the royal family?

Well, it didn't really matter and certainly could wait. This matchmaking of her queen to be's was a welcome distraction. It was also more fun that she would have anticipated. "That would be a good chance to mention it," she agreed. "Perhaps tomorrow you can send Enna on a number of errands or have her doing something to get her sweaty but not give her time to bathe before the evening. That way, we can arrange it so that she goes there at the same time Claudius does. What do you think?"



Valius felt another rush of sympathy for Aldor. He understood that Tali had been the love of his life and he understood not wanting to disrespect her memory. But wasn't it better to be happy now? Surely there was some woman who would do...but perhaps there wasn't. Either way, he would not press. It was clearly not something the older man wanted or would consider.

He felt a bit guilty at taking away what seemed to be the man's one source of happiness. Aldor's kingdom would prosper with this agreement, his people would be able to eat and survive, but the man...what would this do to him?

It seemed that the lives of kings were never easy. He could only hope that this would not shorten Aldor's or that perhaps his hard Queen would soften with the daughter of her husband's lover gone from the court.

"Yes, of course. I've sent a messenger hawk to have my borders on alert and my best are mobilizing now to come to your border." The rangers were more than archers, though that was their specialty but there was no need to contradict the ruler of the Fire Nation. "Once they've arrived to shore up the border, with your permission, an advance group will move ahead to scout our route and make sure it is clear." The trip would be when they were in the greatest danger. Out there on the sands, they'd be vulnerable to attack far more than they would be once they'd passed up into the mountains. "I also wonder if we shouldn't consider a decoy or some other trick to lure our enemy off the scent or even out into a place where they might be engaged. Their obsession with Bryn is dangerous to us and to her, but also to them if we can manipulate them with it."
 
“I think it is a truly devilish idea.” Bryn said, her smile turning mischievous as Masha seems completely on board with everything that she was wanting to accomplish. It was a breath of fresh air to have someone that would help her with her plotting and plans. Perhaps moving to Ithilien wouldn’t be as hard as she feared it would.

“I shall have her busy with my trousseau. I will need new clothing and who else to oversee that but a Countess of Ithilien? Perhaps we shall take a long trip to the market in the heat of the day.” Bryn clapped her hands and laughed in joy. “Oh, Masha, this is more fun than I’ve had in ages!”

She and Masha were getting along perfect. She could almost imagine that the two of them had been friends for years. Soon, she found herself in her bedroom, pulling clothing from her chest to show to Masha and get her opinion on what she should wear to the hand fasting tomorrow morning. She nearly fainted when it was suggested that she wear the green gown again. There was no way, she thought to herself. It would cause a riot if she wore it to the Temple.

No, instead they settled on a dark blue gown, one that was reflective of Valius’s colors. It was low cut in the chest, but modest in its style. Unlike the green gown, it wasn’t overt in its sexuality. Before she settled in for the night, she prayed that the ceremony went together without a hitch. It was all happening so fast, and while Bryn was scared, she couldn’t be happier.



“I will talk with my captain and see what he thinks. He knows the desert far better than even I do. Perhaps we can pull together a diversion very quickly and discretely.” Aldor consented, filling the forest king’s cup once more. “Perhaps it would be best to send a contingency out towards Alerum and make them think that you are both returning to her birth place. At the same time we can send you both to the boarder of Ithilien and Al’Tir. They cannot have as many man as we do. I know Bryn will be safe in your care. I do not fear that she’ll be taken.”

Aldor was quiet for a long moment, thinking about everything that was happening so quickly. He was losing his daughter, but he was gaining so much in return. His kingdom would be saved, the famine relieved, relationships improved. Still, there was a hollowness in the deal, but one that would have to take time to heal.

“Cherish her, Valius.” He said suddenly, his eyes locking onto the younger man’s. “I say that not as her father, but as a man. Cherish her above all your other riches. She will truly bring you happiness.”
 
As Aldor refilled his cup, Valius lifted it in silent salute and acknowledgment of his words. They would not take Bryn. He'd do anything to prevent it; expend all his resources, send his last man to his death if necessary. It was a hard and hot resolution within him formed of his love for her, his admiration for her, his pride, and his knowledge of what enemies often did to women they captured.

No. He would kill them all first.

The desert king was quiet for a time and Valius respected his silence; drinking the heady spirit with his own thoughts and enjoying the heat and beauty of the fire in the hearth. Aldor's eyes met his own and Valius could feel the tension and the mixed feelings in the older man, as well as his great sincerity.

Valius kept his eyes on Aldor's as he replied, "I will. I have always put people before treasure and with her, it is more so. Already she adds to my happiness and already I would burn all the world to keep her mine and safe if need be. I will cherish her and celebrate her every day of my life."

Especially once they were wed. He had never so desired a woman so fully. Though he knew her body was the least of her, it was her mind and spirit that had truly captured and ensnared him, he ached for her to be his nonetheless.

Not that he'd be dumb enough to say anything even hinting at that to her father.

"I never thought to find happiness in my marriage, but now that it is there, I will seize it with both hands and cherish and revere Bryn such that stories will be told of our love." He meant every word. He wanted that for her; after all the uncertainty she'd had in her life, the losses, the being minimized.

Valius drained his cup and rose to his feet. "Be assured in that, at the least, my friend and brother king. I will leave you to your evening undisturbed now, for tomorrow will be an eventful day."
 
The next morning brought more rain. The heavy dark clouds hung low and swollen over the desert, many saying that it was a good omen to the betrothal of the Forest King and the Bryn Alerum. It did nothing to soothe Bryn’s nerves though. She was shaking like a leaf as Masha and Enna help attend her.

“There will be so many people there.” She said in a whispered voice as she allowed Enna to lace her into her blue gown. “I had hoped for something small, but I suppose it’s just wishful thinking.”

The gown was modest in style, hanging in loose folds. It was cinched beneath her breasts with a green ribbon that Enna had brought that morning, showing off her tiny waist and the gentle swell of her breasts. The neckline of the dress was cut low. Much lower and she would be banned from the Temple, she thought to herself. She wore soft slippers on her feet, her veil pinned to her red hair with golden pins. She’d placed Valius’s bracelet upon her wrist as well as his brooch over her heart. She looked and felt beautiful, but it still didn’t stop her nerves.

She stared at all the jewels spread out before her. Her sister had actually had a moment of charity and sent her the wide selection to choose from, but everything looked so gaudy and unnecessary. She sighed, beside herself with the nerves that were coursing through her body as she tried to decide what she wanted.

“You did get a ring, right?” Bryn asked, looking in the vanity mirror at Enna as the woman smiled and nodded her head. “Am I forgetting anything?”
 
Back
Top