Fantasy Story Advice and Inpit

JohnSilver77

Virgin
Joined
Apr 20, 2019
Posts
18
Good evening here everyone,

I would like to try out a mythical-Fantasy lit piece and I need a little advice. I have not published yet, but intend to soon. What is a good starting point? What is the best way to tackle the story? Is it more common to give a bit of backstory towards the characters and certain species, or should the focus be more on the act of sex?feel free to leave examples or links to your own works. Thanks in advance!
 
Did you like the movie Star Wars (1977)? Did it start with backstory on who the princess was? Or who Darth Vader was? Or why they were fighting?

The only thing worse than starting with a backstory info dump is starting with a meandering author's apology for not writing well.
 
Good evening here everyone,

I would like to try out a mythical-Fantasy lit piece and I need a little advice. I have not published yet, but intend to soon. What is a good starting point? What is the best way to tackle the story? Is it more common to give a bit of backstory towards the characters and certain species, or should the focus be more on the act of sex?feel free to leave examples or links to your own works. Thanks in advance!

There are exceptions to everything, but unless it's a real "quickie" story it sounds like you might want to give some backstory. If it's long enough you might want to go to multiple chapters once you have established the setting.

(You might want to ask on the Author's Hangout board too; you're more likely to get advice there.)

I haven't written Fantasy, but I have written one science fiction story. It's only two Literotica pages so I only needed about a half-page of for the setup.

https://www.literotica.com/s/penitentiary-planet
 
Indeed. Depends on the scope.

If it’s just “some elves got captured and got fucked by some orcs, you don’t need to give too many details, just some character set ups and why they are in that particular locations. Benefit of fantasy genre is that many of its gripes are known so you don’t have to explain too much if it’s not a major deviation.

Sweeping epic? Yeah, you might need to lay some groundwork but don’t just load it in the front. Focus on introducing the setting or characters first and their interactions then work in the world building.

For example:

“A gift from the kingdom of Whatsit? How odd?”

The kingdom of whatsit rarely sent gifts. For over 10 years they had been embroiled in a dispute with...etc.
 
Read successful fantasy tales. Note how they're constructed. Imitate the best.
 
Back
Top