Seldom-used words - M to A

Tio, I agree with Handley, that is a very nice one sentence image. Thank you for adding your imagination with us.

Og, the Tom thumb Theater looks like a cool place to hang out. Thanks for educating me about one of the littlest of little theater.

For the card players;

little slam - noun (ca. 1897) the winning of all the tricks except one in bridge

Tio, I agree with Handley, that is a very nice one sentence image. Thank you for adding your imagination with us.

Og, the Tom thumb Theater looks like a cool place to hang out. Thanks for educating me about one of the littlest of little theater.

For the card players;

little slam - noun (ca. 1897) the winning of all the tricks except one in bridge

That was called a "small slam" back in the day.
Taking 6 not 7 tricks.

Handley, thanks for the clarification.

For some reason I feel compelled to add this;

little people - noun plural (ca. 1731) 1. tiny imaginary beings (as fairies, elves, and leprechauns) of folklore 2. CHILDREN 3. people of unusually small size 4. common people

Handley, thanks for the clarification.

For some reason I feel compelled to add this;

little people - noun plural (ca. 1731) 1. tiny imaginary beings (as fairies, elves, and leprechauns) of folklore 2. CHILDREN 3. people of unusually small size 4. common people

It was considered dangerous to refer to fairies, elves or leprechauns by those names because you could attract evil or mischievous ones.

"The Little People" was one of a number of euphemisms that were used instead, like referring to "The Scottish Play".

Others were "The Good Folk"; and "The Wee Ones".

Such euphemisms have a long history. The Greeks and Romans would not mention certain gods and demigods by name because that could tempt "The Fates" or even Destiny herself.

Eumenides (the Kindly Ones):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinyes

Last edited:
It was considered dangerous to refer to fairies, elves or leprechauns by those names because you could attract evil or mischievous ones.

"The Little People" was one of a number of euphemisms that were used instead, like referring to "The Scottish Play".

Others were "The Good Folk"; and "The Wee Ones".

Such euphemisms have a long history. The Greeks and Romans would not mention certain gods and demigods by name because that could tempt "The Fates" or even Destiny herself.

Eumenides (the Kindly Ones):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinyes

It seems to be a thread common to many religions. The ancient Hebrews were forbidden to say aloud God's Name (the Tetragrammaton "HVHJ" in transliterated Hebrew---written from right to left, as they did). In consequence, and because their writing omitted vowels, the pronunciation of the Holy Name has been lost to history. Most modern scholars believe it to have been something like "Yahweh". That Name is where the "Jehovah" in "Jehovah's Witnesses" (and other places) comes from.

Very interesting reading, Og. Once again, you have taught me more, this time about the Furies, than I knew before and I am so grateful.

Carlus, yes, and that reminds me of Voldemort in recent fantasy. J.K. was influenced by many different sources.

little magazine - noun (1900) a literary usually noncommercial magazine that features works especially of writers who are not well-known

Very interesting reading, Og. Once again, you have taught me more, this time about the Furies, than I knew before and I am so grateful.

Carlus, yes, and that reminds me of Voldemort in recent fantasy. J.K. was influenced by many different sources.

That superstition, that "names have power" gets applied to a lot of things:

"My ears are burning. Somebody must be talking about me," was a common comment by my grandmother (and others of her generation)

"Speak of the Devil and he shall appear." -- again a common saying of my grandmother's generation.

There are others, but I don't want to turn this into a list post :p

Harold, those are both great sayings and I'm glad you added them. Og has posted lists of slang words and I think that is fine, so feel free to list away, if your heart so desires.

This one is a must:

litterateur or littérateur - noun (1806) a literary person; esp: a professional writer

Harold, those are both great sayings and I'm glad you added them. Og has posted lists of slang words and I think that is fine, so feel free to list away, if your heart so desires.

This one is a must:

litterateur or littérateur - noun (1806) a literary person; esp: a professional writer

Presumably one of the "Literati".
Perhaps a modern version might be "Twitterateur"; one of the 'Twitterati.'
:)

little magazine - noun (1900) a literary usually noncommercial magazine that features works especially of writers who are not well-known

The 'little magazines' were the late 19th and early 20th century versions of vanity publishing. They were often full of bad poetry.

In places, they continued erratically until the third quarter of the 20th Century. I had, may still have, a publication (Number One) of new Kent Authors. As usual with such little magazines, there never was a Number Two.

Handley, how hilarious, "twitterati". Thanks for the laugh.

Og, good to know "little magazines" often only had one edition. I would hate to drive myself crazy looking for a second issue, which does not exist.

litterae humaniores - noun (1747) HUMANITIES

Thank you, Og, for posting that informative link several days ago.

litotes - noun plural (1589) understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of the contrary (as in "not a bad singer" or "not unhappy")

Thank you, Og, for posting that informative link several days ago.

litotes - noun plural (1589) understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of the contrary (as in "not a bad singer" or "not unhappy")

There's not much I can say about litotes. It is a useful technical term used even by people who have never heard of litotes.

A couple from my latest Slang dictionary to keep the thread going while I'm away for a week.

library (US) outhouse, privy, where one sits and reads.

ligby (17thC) a mistress

light frigate (17-19C) a prostitute - also frigate, land carrack, light heels, light horse, light housewife, light o' love, light skirts.

Og, I hope you have fun on your journey. Thanks for leaving us a bit of slang to hang on to in your absence.

I have a lot of this around my house.

lithophyte - noun (1895) a plant that grows on rock

Og, I hope you have fun on your journey. Thanks for leaving us a bit of slang to hang on to in your absence.

I have a lot of this around my house.

lithophyte - noun (1895) a plant that grows on rock

That was a new one.
"Lithophytes are plants that grow in or on rocks. Those that grow on rocks are also known as epipetric or epilithic plants. Lithophytes feed off nutrients from rain water and nearby decaying plants, including their own dead tissue. "

Presumably one of the "Literati".
Perhaps a modern version might be "Twitterateur"; one of the 'Twitterati.'
:)

When I moved in lesbian circles, the lesbians who were rather art-y were known as the Cliterati ;)

I'm so behind that I am going to catch up by reading backwards :) otherwise I will never get to chat with you all. I think that's in good ton for this thread, anyway?

Did you have the word ton way back when you did 'T's? Georgette Heyer uses it a lot, it means 'high society' in the Regency period, and comes from the French for 'good manners' - le bon ton.

When I moved in lesbian circles, the lesbians who were rather art-y were known as the Cliterati ;)

Did you have the word ton way back when you did 'T's? Georgette Heyer uses it a lot, it means 'high society' in the Regency period, and comes from the French for 'good manners' - le bon ton.

I think there's also the 'Glitterati.' ~
The bunch of publicity-seeking morons who are famous for being 'famous'.

I'm pleased to note that in my lifetime, 'le bon ton' is almost over (blame the TV).

:rose:

Handley, I am so glad I could introduce you to a new word.

Naoko, much thanks for the explanation of "ton". I guess it is not just 2000 pounds.

lithophane - noun (ca. 1889) porcelain impressed with figures that are made distinct by transmitted light: also: an object of this material

Handley, I am so glad I could introduce you to a new word.

Naoko, much thanks for the explanation of "ton". I guess it is not just 2000 pounds.

lithophane - noun (ca. 1889) porcelain impressed with figures that are made distinct by transmitted light: also: an object of this material

I got the impression it's more "Etched" .

Handley, Wiki says it is either etched or molded.

This next word conjures up visions of changing humans into statues, like a very funny fictional book by Thorne Smith called, "Night Life of the Gods".

lithify - verb (1877) to change into stone; PETRIFY: esp: to convert (unconsolidated sediment) into solid rock ~ vi: to become changed into stone

Back