Positive Campaigning ? Fixing the Demon-rats!

JackLuis

Literotica Guru
Positive Campaigning is a novelty these days. Bernie was pretty good at it and is well respected for it.

The Democrats Need a New Message

After another demoralizing loss to a monstrous candidate, Democrats need a reboot

How low do you have to sink to lose an election in this country? Republicans have been trying to answer that question for years. But they've been unable to find out, because Democrats somehow keep failing to beat them.

There is now a sizable list of election results involving Republican candidates who survived seemingly unsurvivable scandals to win higher office.

Unsurprisingly, the disintegrating Trump bears a historically low approval rating. But polls also show that the Democratic Party has lost five percentage points in its own approval rating dating back to November, when it was at 45 percent.

The Democrats are now hovering around 40 percent, just a hair over the Trump-tarnished Republicans, at 39 percent. Similar surveys have shown that despite the near daily barrage of news stories pegging the president as a bumbling incompetent in the employ of a hostile foreign power, Trump, incredibly, would still beat Hillary Clinton in a rematch today, and perhaps even by a larger margin than before.:eek:

But "Republicans are bad" isn't a message or a plan, which is why the Democrats have managed the near impossible: losing ground overall during the singular catastrophe of the Trump presidency.

The party doesn't see that the largest group of potential swing voters out there doesn't need to be talked out of voting Republican. It needs to be talked out of not voting at all. The recent polls bear this out, showing that the people who have been turned off to the Democrats in recent months now say that in a do-over, they would vote for third parties or not at all.

People need a reason to be excited by politics, and not just disgusted with the other side. Until the Democrats figure that out, these improbable losses will keep piling up.

Now Matt Taibbii is a journalist., there are so few these days.:(

So what do you folks think, how do the Demon-Rats become Democrats again?

Last edited:
In this last primary season, Hillary Clinton was pretty good at it too. The fact that Sanders wasn't then (and isn't now) a Democrat, was trying to steal a party without having paid any dues to it (which naturally led to the party leadership not favoring him) and was a total dud in the job he already had--all talk, most of it pie in the sky--and nothing to show for it--and the fact that, yes, she has the "go for the jugular" personality, she was quite restrained during the primary.

That's what all of the Bernie people failed to do--they failed to look beyond the pie-in-the-sky talk and at the man's record of accomplishment (the names of two post office buildings--largely because he had no party network behind him) and a lot of them failed to vote because they were suckered by the Russians on how evil Hillary was. Dumb voters. They still don't get it. Trump is largely thanks to their naivete.

I generally like Taibbi a lot, but he seems strangely unaware that Clinton got a lot more votes than Trump last November.

That doesn't answer me though, gents.

How does the Democratic party survive? Or does a Progressive Party have to develop? Establishment Demon-rats and Rethuglicans are equally evil to the nation.

Steele is whining that the Rethuglicans have lost sight of their principles. Democrats are in a tizzy, "Russia, Russia, Russia!" but where is their plan?

Hillary is History, what is the Future? Tulsi Gabbard, or Chuck Shumer?

Bernie and Tulsi would be my ticket for '20. I'm pretty sick of the shills we've seen for the last 50 years.

Here is a link to Matt's work. Chris and Chloe should read him.

Last edited:
You folk could certainly do with a bit more participation in your electoral process. There is a good reason the US has been downgraded to a flawed democracy. The irrational fear of your own government overrides the fear of all the other boogiemen such as minorities and foreigners. You all live in such fear of your own elected representatives that you feel you must arm yourself against them. 27% of the possible voters, and a minority too, determined who sat in the OO. And electing someone like DT! Loud, bombastic and stupid is not quite the direction to be going in electing heads of state.

Voters for decades were conned into thinking they were noisome minorities whose best path to influence is to make peace with the mightier "center," which inevitably turns out to support military interventionism, fewer taxes for the rich, corporate deregulation and a ban on unrealistic "giveaway" proposals like free higher education. Those are the realistic, moderate, popular ideas, we're told.

But it's a Wizard of Oz trick, just like American politics in general. There is no numerically massive center behind the curtain. What there is instead is a tiny island of wealthy donors, surrounded by a protective ring of for-sale major-party politicians (read: employees) whose job it is to castigate too-demanding voters and preach realism.

Matt calls it.

Yep it would help if people voted more. I believe you should have to vote to get a drivers license. If you want the benefits of society, you also have responsibilities.

Oh gee so are you guys FINALLY focusing on what will make Democrats electable again? Because I've only been asking that question since the 2016 Presidential Election.

Glad you're finally waking up to the harsh reality that your party needs some tweaking under the hood instead of indulging in the hatred towards Republicans.

Oh gee so are you guys FINALLY focusing on what will make Democrats electable again? Because I've only been asking that question since the 2016 Presidential Election.

Glad you're finally waking up to the harsh reality that your party needs some tweaking under the hood instead of indulging in the hatred towards Republicans.

Nooooo don't encourage them to think Chris, it's much better like this. Encourage them to maintain the course. Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes of political correctness.

That doesn't answer me though, gents.

How does the Democratic party survive? Or does a Progressive Party have to develop? Establishment Demon-rats and Rethuglicans are equally evil to the nation.

Steele is whining that the Rethuglicans have lost sight of their principles. Democrats are in a tizzy, "Russia, Russia, Russia!" but where is their plan?

Hillary is History, what is the Future? Tulsi Gabbard, or Chuck Shumer?

Bernie and Tulsi would be my ticket for '20. I'm pretty sick of the shills we've seen for the last 50 years.

Here is a link to Matt's work. Chris and Chloe should read him.

It's early days for the Democrats on a 2020 presidential run. They should let it sit for a couple of years to see who can set themselves up for a run. They should concentrate on the midterm congressional elections, chipping away at the Republicans for not supporting their constituents' needs/interests. And I don't see the Democratic Party as fragmented as much as the Republican Party is. The Bernie faction isn't in the party and never was and won't be there in 2020 either. The factions in the Republican Party are actually there and not going away anytime soon.

It's early days for the Democrats on a 2020 presidential run. They should let it sit for a couple of years to see who can set themselves up for a run. They should concentrate on the midterm congressional elections, chipping away at the Republicans for not supporting their constituents' needs/interests. And I don't see the Democratic Party as fragmented as much as the Republican Party is. The Bernie faction isn't in the party and never was and won't be there in 2020 either. The factions in the Republican Party are actually there and not going away anytime soon.

SO the establishment doesn't want to set the narrative for 2018? Let the Rethuglicans set the terms of the debates? How did that work out in '16? If the Demon-rats just set back to let the Rethuglicans fail, which they will in spectacular fashion, there will be no Democrats to oppose our swirling down the shitter of history.

You may not see the Democrats as splintered, but the independents they depend upon to actually win election view the Democrats as shills for the establishment. Nancy and Chuck are plotting to 'stay the course' doing the same old, same old that has lost them 66% of the Governorships and most of the leg's across the country. So that plan doesn't seem to be working.

New Deal Democrats and those of us in the Lewis Sinclair wing of the party are not happy with the same old shit from the Establishment Demon-Rats.

I....And I don't see the Democratic Party as fragmented as much as the Republican Party is. The Bernie faction isn't in the party and never was and won't be there in 2020 either. The factions in the Republican Party are actually there and not going away anytime soon.

Yes, and those Republican factions need to learn to work together. So far they haven't done much of that too well and you're right, those factions aren't going away either. What's going to make or break the Republicans over the next few years is (1) whether they can get their act together and (2) realize where their voting support is coming from and act on the platform that those voters support. Guess we'll see, coz I don't have a lot of confidence in the RINO's at all.

The same way it always works.

The Rs get in power by having no positive policy other than sliming Ds.

Trump got elected on having NO specific policy positions at all. He just led hate rallies against Clinton, immigrants, Muslims, etc. That's always how Rs win.

And its always how Rs fall out of power, because they have no idea how to run government and always end up with massive failures.

I'd like to D's go nuclear on Rs for once. But they'll fall for the same trap--articulate policy--the RS will attack it, and the same cycle repeats again.

SO the establishment doesn't want to set the narrative for 2018? Let the Rethuglicans set the terms of the debates? How did that work out in '16? If the Demon-rats just set back to let the Rethuglicans fail, which they will in spectacular fashion, there will be no Democrats to oppose our swirling down the shitter of history.

You may not see the Democrats as splintered, but the independents they depend upon to actually win election view the Democrats as shills for the establishment. Nancy and Chuck are plotting to 'stay the course' doing the same old, same old that has lost them 66% of the Governorships and most of the leg's across the country. So that plan doesn't seem to be working.

New Deal Democrats and those of us in the Lewis Sinclair wing of the party are not happy with the same old shit from the Establishment Demon-Rats.

Nooooo don't encourage them to think Chris, it's much better like this. Encourage them to maintain the course. Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes of political correctness.

Chloe, we all know that there is nothing I'd love more for a Liberal to think rationally and question the way our Democrats are running their party.

Because then these rational individuals will get bombarded with allegations that they are Nazi White Supremacists and sexist, homophobic, and transphobic. :D

SO the establishment doesn't want to set the narrative for 2018?

The narrative for the 2018 is in the congressional elections. Why do you think someone has to step out this soon for the presidential elections? I don't see the need for that--give the various options more time to gel--and I don't see that that is where the DP emphasis should be. It should be on gaining more control in the Congress and the Republican Congress representatives are on the run with their constituents. I don't see why you are focusing on the White House run this early. The Democrats should have focused more on the congressional elections last time, I think. (And again, this is where Bernie was more a distraction than a candidate. He's not a Democrat. He did zilch for the Democrats in the congressional campaigns. Didn't get any Bernie people elected either, did he?)

America and Earth desperately need an alien invasion to instill senses of national and human solidarity and unity. Otherwise it's the same old shit. SPOILER: It'll be the same old shit.

The narrative for the 2018 is in the congressional elections. Why do you think someone has to step out this soon for the presidential elections? I don't see the need for that--give the various options more time to gel--and I don't see that that is where the DP emphasis should be. It should be on gaining more control in the Congress and the Republican Congress representatives are on the run with their constituents. I don't see why you are focusing on the White House run this early. The Democrats should have focused more on the congressional elections last time, I think. (And again, this is where Bernie was more a distraction than a candidate. He's not a Democrat. He did zilch for the Democrats in the congressional campaigns. Didn't get any Bernie people elected either, did he?)

I agree '18 is the key, but that doesn't mean the Demo's can't start evaluating the candidates for '20 as well. Use '18 to set the narrative for '20.

So Bernie wasn't a Democrat, he still scared the hell out of Hillary and probably would have sunk her if the DNC hadn't put their 'thumb on the scales'. But that is the past.

So how do the Demo's secure the Senate in '18? Or the House. They won't do it by "Russia, Russia, Russia, Trump is bad, Elect me and I'll make sure the 1% is covered." That just infuriates the ~50% of the electorate that has no vested interest in 'More of the Same."

The Rethuglicans have a similar problem, they had ~18 candidates from the Party and let a outsider kick the asses of the Party insiders. How does the Republican party regain control of the party from the Philistines that have usurped their party?

Last edited:
How Did Democrats Become the Party of Elites?

Somehow Democrats have to come up with their own jujitsu maneuver to once again show that theirs is the party that fights entrenched power on behalf of the little people. Liberals have to figure out how to merge their diversity voice with the larger imperative of representing all of America’s underdogs. These are not mutually exclusive messages.

Democrats can preach all they want on health care and Trump and the environment. But if they don’t correct the larger narrative about who holds power in America — and who’s fighting to equalize that power on behalf of us all — then whatever small and intermittent victories they earn may still leave them short in the larger battle for the hearts and souls of American voters.

America and Earth desperately need an alien invasion to instill senses of national and human solidarity and unity. Otherwise it's the same old shit. SPOILER: It'll be the same old shit.

We already have an alien invasion. -_-

Opinion: Democrats are doubling down on the same vanilla centrism that helped give us President Trump

Last Friday evening, a diverse crowd gathered in an airless Los Angeles church for a Democratic National Committee “Resistance Summer” rally. The plan was simple: to invigorate the base with speeches, then run a phone bank to oppose the Republican healthcare bill.

Instead, Democratic Party officials quickly lost control of the event.

Less than five minutes into DNC Deputy Chair Keith Ellison’s introductory remarks, a group of people stood up and chanted vehemently, “Single payer now!” They unfurled a banner across an entire pew, and heckled the speakers so freely that an older woman made the sign of the cross, as if warding off their revolutionary spirits, and said, “Shame on you.” Ellison’s remarks about party unification were nearly inaudible because two attendees were standing and screaming at each other. California Democratic Party Chairman Eric Bauman simply stopped speaking. Halfway through the rally, two-dozen single-payer healthcare demonstrators — a fifth of the attendees — walked out, using a bullhorn to stage their own press conference on the sidewalk nearby.

Once again, the Democratic Party found itself unprepared to respond to its vocal left flank. Democratic Party handlers poked the demonstrators and begged them to sit, but the five-member security detail on hand stood at the back of the church, hands clasped. Their decision not to expel or otherwise silence the demonstrators was the right one.

It would be a good idea if the Democrats came up at least with fixes to the existing plan (if only to show where the insurance companies and lobbyists are working to sabotage it) and show that they would work on a workable plan even though the Republicans aren't including them in what the Republicans are doing in Congress. The very least they should do is point out more loudly than they are that they aren't working against a health care legislation--that they aren't being given an opportunity to work on it at all.

Even if I agree with that, which I don't, the Rs are even more corrupt with their financing by the Koch brothers, etc. and yet they're not perceived as the party of elites.

It has nothing to do with where the money is coming from, but manipulation of public perception by RW propaganda, imo

No CF, they did it to themselves, by focusing on Donor Money in the biggest chunks from the fewest sources. Bernie raise his $27 at a time. Hillary raise hers by the 10's of thousands.

No CF, they did it to themselves, by focusing on Donor Money in the biggest chunks from the fewest sources. Bernie raise his $27 at a time. Hillary raise hers by the 10's of thousands.

Sucked you in on that one, did he? :rolleyes:

Some folks are so gullible.

Basically the Democrats are damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point. If they try and move back to the center, the left wing special interest groups will go insane, and anyhow, at this point there's probably not that many Democrat centrists willing to stand up and by eaten. The left is never afraid to throw their own under the bus....

And if they move to the left, they just alienate the center even further and Trump will be all over them like a ... (supply own simile). Trouble is, they've now moved so far from the center and so into the realm of special interest groups that that's all they are. Even the MSM can't hide that, and the MSM is part of the whole Democrat special interest group clique and that's also more then evident.

Whichever way you look at it, it's good for the Republicans.

Even if I agree with that, which I don't, the Rs are even more corrupt with their financing by the Koch brothers, etc. and yet they're not perceived as the party of elites.

Oh they are. The RINO's are definitely corrupt. Assholes like McCain and Ryan and the rest of them. Where do you think the Tea Party movement came from. Many of us recognize the Republicans were in the pockets of people like the Koch's. Me for example and I never voted for Romney coz that asshole was another weak-assed RINO. Trump nailed what people like me want. That's it. Dead simple.

Last edited:
Back