I'm so old that ....

I won't win any "I'm so old" contests against most of you

Still, when I joined the Internet, you had to BUY a browser (Netscape) and the two big players were either AOL or Compuserve. AOL 2.5 was brand new and my first "upgrade."

My first laptop had a whopping 40 MB hard drive. I would attach a ZIP disc to it for the incredible increase to 100 MB!

The other day, we hired a high school girl, and it occurred to me: "She's never known a world without the Internet."

Heck, it's okay to not capitalizing the word Internet now.

So how's this: "I'm so old, I can remember when seeing George Burns was a big deal on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson."

Still, when I joined the Internet, you had to BUY a browser (Netscape) and the two big players were either AOL or Compuserve. AOL 2.5 was brand new and my first "upgrade."

My first laptop had a whopping 40 MB hard drive. I would attach a ZIP disc to it for the incredible increase to 100 MB!

The other day, we hired a high school girl, and it occurred to me: "She's never known a world without the Internet."

So how's this: "I'm so old, I can remember when seeing George Burns was a big deal on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson."

Netscape was a free download...for use on Window 3.1.

The first PC I used only had two five inch floppy drives and 4k of memory.

The first computer I worked on after school was a MicroData Reality with 8k of memory and a 10mb disk drive.

I remember seeing Sid Caesar on the black and white TV in the living room.

Last edited:
Denny------------ I'm not the only one who remebers the test pattern when stations were off the air.

Do you remember when a Ford drove by and the station went fuzzy and went off the air until the Ford passed? Damned Fords!

Not really. The only guy that had a Ford on the block, never drove it because it was always broken down.

Not really. The only guy that had a Ford on the block, never drove it because it was always broken down.

When I was young, there was only one car in our road of 100+ houses. It was a pre-war Ford Eight (933cc - 57 cubic inches) that was the company car of a travelling salesman.

There was only one telephone in the road - my father's because he worked for the Ministry of Defence and could be on call 24/7. It was a party line. If the phone rang in sets of three it was for him. It was rarely used except to summon midwives for neighbours going into labour.

The next telephone was in a public call box three streets away. For most of the day there was a queue outside that telephone box.

My aunt (we were living in her house) had the only television in the whole street. It was the size of a four drawer filing cabinet and had a nine-inch screen. She had upgraded from a six inch screen. There was only one TV channel - the BBC and that started transmitting in the afternoons.

That television was expensive. In modern day terms it would be the price of a two-year-old mid-range car and had to be paid for in cash. It was my aunt's third television. She had bought one before the war for the experimental transmissions from Alexandra Palace. After the war it was useless because the Baird System had been superseded, so she bought the new six-inch one.

I remember when you could buy domain names for about $30 each....we had a brain wave of how we should buy Mcdonalds and a bunch of other popular business names...but we didn't really have money kicking around to purchase domain names that may just be "worthless" one day.

I also remember when my friend phoned me up and said that I should buy shares in this new company...it was really cool he said, you could go online and bid on items...it called Ebay. Again, no money, so no shares.

... I remember when there were only two of us. And that damn snake.

Then all the assholes came along and ruined the world with their made up bullshit about us and some 'creator' crap.

Hey there, how are you doing? What happened to Adam?
You remember me don't you? You know...kinda long and serpenty...i offered you guys an apple...;-)

Great reply, made me laugh.

I'm so old, I saw the Tragically Hip live when they still had hair!

The municipality where I grew up did not have a single traffic light and my kids have asked me, whether the dinosaurs were extinct when I was a kid.

(But we did have electricity! I still feel young compared to the gerontological wonders of this thread).

I remember...

Listening to Gunsmoke and the Lone Ranger on a Philco radio the size of a steamer trunk.

When I told my young daughter that my first cell phone was a Nokia and there was no texting she asked "Was that before dinosaurs went extinct?"

I'm so old I remember being pissed off that my landline went mandatory touch tone, and I couldn't use my 20lb rotary phone anymore. :mad:

The municipality where I grew up did not have a single traffic light and my kids have asked me, whether the dinosaurs were extinct when I was a kid.

(But we did have electricity! I still feel young compared to the gerontological wonders of this thread).

My current town was once proud of having the first traffic lights in the whole county. They were operated during daylight hours by a policeman standing at the side of the road. Locals would use side streets to avoid confronting the wonders of modern technology (and the fierce policeman!). At night they were switched off.

It was at least twenty years before the traffic flow was sufficient to justify the existence of the traffic lights, and another twenty years before our town had a second set.

Denny---<-----that's me! The male half

When I first got my license, gas was around 1.00
Denny---------------- Gas in the midwest was often 19.9 duirng a gas war which seemed to be every week. I still drove a 1957 VW Beetle because I couldn't afford much gas!

My aunt on a farm some 40 miles north still had a wooden wall phone and they were on the party line.
My grandparents a block over where we watched TV had a four digit phone number for years. Later dad got a consol TV with a small round screen.

Sometimes grandpa took us kids down to the river to watch the lift bridge go up and down and the one taffic light near the court house changing now and then.

As a kid on weekends we went in the house to listen to "The Shadow", old westerns, and other radio programs. We could actually "See what was happening".
We played cops and robbers or cowboy and Indian with real capguns and BB guns.
We'd shoot the DQ spoons from our friend's hands with our trusty Daisy.
No one died or lost an eye.
We'd skinny dip in the lake a mile away. Now it's a fancy subdivison with a fancy name.

I remember parking on Lovers lane with Dollie and listening to a radio station in Del Reo, Texas and the original Grand Ole Opre' from Nashville all the way from central Ilinois. WMAQ played rock and roll and country.
Yes George Burns and Gracie, Bob Hope and Rochester, plus many more.
5 cent sodas and penny candy.

I need a nap now!

Last edited:
I don't think I'm THAT old, but here's a few. I'm so old that...

I watched black and white television, in which there were six channels to choose from. And we had to get up off our butts and turn the knob to change the channel.

It took forever to dial a number on the telephone, even though it wasn't necessary to preface local numbers with an area code. And yes, I said DIAL (a rotary telephone).

I sat in the "way back" of a station wagon, facing out the back window to see the cars behind me. My siblings and I fought over which two of us would sit back there...seat belts be damned!

I listened to my record player for hours. Just for fun, I'd play a 33 RPM record on 45...or 78. Yes, my dad owned a few 78 RPM records, which of course I'd sometimes play on 45 or 33 just to be annoying.

In my first office, in a building constructed for Henry VIII, our wall-mounted wooden telephone had no dial. We had to pick up the ear piece and wind the handle on the side to attract the operator's attention, then ask for the internal extension we wanted.

If someone wanted to call us, the operator had to stand up from her switchboard and wind a handle mounted on the wall to make our telephone ring.

We were unpopular with the telephone operators. :)

8a77cefd63651bed7b271125d9cac939.jpg

Last edited:
... I 've watched 3 Olympic Games without NBAers.

... if you wanted to buy something Made In China, you should go to China.

Last edited:
I'm so old that . . .

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Though I DO know who shot JR.

In my first office, in a building constructed for Henry VIII, our wall-mounted wooden telephone had no dial. We had to pick up the ear piece and wind the handle on the side to attract the operator's attention, then ask for the internal extension we wanted.

If someone wanted to call us, the operator had to stand up from her switchboard and wind a handle mounted on the wall to make our telephone ring.

We were unpopular with the telephone operators. :)

8a77cefd63651bed7b271125d9cac939.jpg

My wife's grandmother had one of these hanging in the living room. The year was 1979 and they still had party lines. Any time you received a call, you could bet your bottom dollar that there were at least 5 other people listening.

I remember when streetcars were common sights in American downtown cities. Not light rail ... real streetcars that stopped on the corners like buses did.

And I remember a sort of candy that consisted of sugar water in wax bottles. You'd bite the top off and suck out the sirup. Mmmm. Do they still have those?

Not everyone had a phone at home (yes really, that's one phone for an entire household in an urban area), and those who did rented it.

The television, when my parents finally got one, was black and white and rented.

Going to bed hungry was not a mark of exceptional poverty, nor were cold bedrooms.

The intercity train had dark blue and green upholstery, and there were wooden escalators in a few of the London underground stations.

Back