Prophecy of Ruin or Salvation (closed for heartofcourage)

Enna was glad for the excuse to be out of the negotiations for more than one reason. Certainly they would be dull and boring but she also wanted to get to know this mysterious girl who would be her Queen. Valius was one of her oldest friends and she could tell he was head over heels for the girl; so it fell to her as his friend to make sure she was worthy of that emotion.

The day was spent sharing stories and information. Enna reassured her about learning the customs and etiquette of Ithilien's court. There were books on the subject and Enna would be glad to teach her, of course.

But the real discourse was Bryn's. Her story, her apparent divine nature to her people...Enna still wasn't sure she understood how or why Bryn was supposed to be a goddess or what the people of Al'Tir expected of her. But she did understand that they did think of the girl that way. It made her worry. Despite all the signs that had occurred, and the good it would bring them, how would they react when they learned their goddess would be leaving them?

Religion. She respected and liked the gods just fine; it was whenever humans got involved in divine matters that they screwed it all up.

All in all, Enna felt a closeness to Bryn by the time it was late afternoon. The time had certainly flown by. She found herself wanting to be the girl's friend and wanting to help her be happy and safe, as much as or almost more than she wanted to do so for Valius. She was so sweet and caring and so compassionate. She charmed without even trying; utterly guileless, it seemed.

The rush of questions that came out of Bryn as her man went to inform the king of their whereabouts made her want to hug the girl. Instead she reached out and took her hands, "Take a breath, Bryn. I'll help you through it all, no need to panic, all right?" She winked, "At least not until the wedding day. Most brides panic then from what I can tell."

"There's no elaborate process you need to go through before the wedding, Bryn. I may call you Bryn, now, can't I? And please, call me Enna. You don't need to use any title with me, I insist. You two aren't officially engaged yet, but once you are, you would, of course, cease any, ah, affairs or seeing any men or women you have as love mates. Not immediately, but within a week of the announcement or the engagement could be ended."

Sex in Ithilien was not rampant or fully unrestrained but there was a lot of it. Herbs that grew there could be combined to make a tea that kept a woman from having a child while she drank it, so there was little worry of muddling lines, and the social attitude was relaxed. Unmarried men and women were expected to have lovers and love mates and even close friends would often have sex merely to express their care for one another. Bryn, judging from how she'd reacted to certain statements today, probably was not quite ready for that revelation.

"You'll wear his ring on a necklace, not on your finger until you're actually wed," she went on. "It's expected for you to give him a token to wear also but girls have more freedom in what they give. It's often something either that's either handmade or a family heirloom. Both the ring and whatever you give him must be openly worn. In our country, other unmarried men or women would try to steal the token from you, though they would give it back as soon as it was off you, but you'd have to give them a kiss to get it returned. It's more of a game than a serious tradition."

Hmm, what else? "Technically you're still part of your father's house until the marriage, so you'd obey his rules and so on. There's no taboo among us about the bride and groom to be interacting. Indeed, it's expected that you'll spend most of your time together to really get to know each other. Among the low born, that's really just for fun, but among the nobles where marriages are arranged, husband and wife may not know one another well or even at all."

Enna then leaned in and her smile was mischievous, "It's also expected that the bride and groom to be will have some "personal time" together before the wedding. To get to know one another physically as well, and to practice and learn how to, well, to pleasure one another." Oh, she was blushing! She hadn't blushed for real in ages! Maybe it was because Bryn was such a darling and so seemingly naive about sex. "But that is between the two of you, and I don't know how the people here feel about that kind of thing."

She tipped her head back, "The ceremony, well, we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves there. But I promise I'll tell you all about it and help you prepare." Enna did frown a bit, "There are parts that will be very difficult to do here, which is one reason Valius wanted to wed back home. The other reasons are political. Many of the Dukes feel that coming to Al'Tir like this and asking to wed, the bride price and so on, out of the country shows weakness. That Valius is submitting to Al'Tir or undermining our power and authority. He wanted to marry in Ithilien to shut them up; to show that it was Al'Tir marrying us as well. Unfortunately, they'll gain momentum in the Convocation when he marries here; some of the moderate nobles will see him as a weak king and they'll try to take advantage."

She sighed and waved her hands, "But don't worry about the political mess now. We'll deal with it when it comes. Now, why don't we get ready to see him, hmm? If I know my king, he'll be in a mood when he gets here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

It was good that the negotiations had been called off for the day. If they had gone on another half hour, Valius would have killed someone.

Most of it was fairly straight forward. More grains, vegetables, and seeds, and more of those that had been in the request for Charissa's hand. An increase in the number of animals of each type that had been part of the initial proposal; the question was how much more. One of the nobles had declared that every cow, sheep, and pig in Ithilien should be given to Al'Tir for Bryn's hand.

Valius had gotten angry then, but it only got worse.

One man had said that Ithilien must introduce new laws to "put women in your barbaric land on their proper level" and another had said that Ithilien would have to get Al'Tir's approval for any new law. Another had said that Ithilien would have to publicly acknowledge the spiritual superiority of Al'Tir in all matters and be governed by their religious practices. Another had said that Ithilien should disband all of it's military and navy and let Al'Tir's military serve those purposes within it's borders. Yet another had insisted that Valius forsake his children's right of inheritance and that Aldor's heirs instead would be made king of both Ithilien and Al'Tir after Valius died.

And that wasn't even the worst of it. Oh, no. The worst had come midway thought the session.

Valius had been half out of his seat to challenge the man who suggested it to the juris macto before Aldor called for a brief recess and cool wine to be served.

Those proposals were not widely acknowledged, of course, nor did any of them get put on the official list of considerations but the sheer gall and arrogance of them had made the young king furious.

After the session, he left with his face bleak and furious. Servants and the lesser nobility not part of the meeting melted out of path of the Ithilien delegation after one look at his expression.

Dax appeared at the end of the hallway and approached. Valius slowly his brisk, furious stalk to a slow walk and inclined his head to the man, "Dax."

"Your Highness. Bryn and your Countess Enna await you in the library. I can show you the way." The guard shot a glance at Masha who shook her head, her own eyes hard and angry.

Magnus cleared his throat, "Sire, I'll go and prepare our responses and recommendations for tomorrow's session, shall I?"

Valius took a deep breath. "Yes, go ahead, Magnus. And thank you. Without your cool head and presence, I may have said and done some regrettable things."

The old lord bowed, "Blameless perhaps, but, yes, regrettable, Sire." The older noble took his leave and the rest of them then followed Dax to the royal library.
 
What Enna began to tell Bryn about life in Ithelien was positively scandalous. Her face could not grow any redder as the Countess explained to her what was done in her land when a couple became betrothed.

“There…there isn’t anyone that I’m seeing.” She said in a soft voice, pressing her hand against her throat as she listened to the details. “You mean that young people in Ithelien have…relations before marriage?”

She almost gasped when she continued on with the story and she squirmed nervously in her seat. She would wear his ring and would have to give something to Valius in return and people would try to take it from her? It seemed like a strange tradition even if it was meant as a game.

“Personal time?” She whispered back to Enna, taking in the mischievous smile and blush upon the other woman’s cheeks. “You mean alone in bed? I…I don’t think I could do that.”

“Women are kept closely guarded here in Al’Tir. There are a few nomadic tribes where women are the equal of men but for the most part, we are expected to be chaste and devotional before marriage.” Her heart was racing at all of the things that might happen between herself and Valius. She had never so much as kissed a man in her life. “When a girl is born, braids are placed in her hair for each year of life. The only person that may untwine them are her husband. It is his right alone.”

She suddenly felt self conscious and nervous about the entire situation. She would have to marry in Ithelien, she knew that for certain now. She would not cause strife between Valius and his nobles when there was so much at stake. He was a young king, new to the throne, and he needed to create a legacy that was strong.

Bryn was about to speak again when the door to the library opened and a very stormy looking Valius walked in. Dax looked around the room for a moment before he shut the door, standing at his position outside with Masha, speaking gently to her to calm her down as well.

“It did not go well?” She asked Valius as she bade him to side beside her on the low couch. She took his hand in hers, rubbing her other hand in a soothing motion over the top of it. “The nobles of this land have grown spoiled with the riches they enjoy. They know nothing of the wants and needs of the peasants and think only of furthering their own position in life.”

“Do not let it bother you, Valius.” She said in a softly soothing tone. “You are the better man.” What she was saying was a kind of treason to many of the men that held rank and title in Al’Tir, but she was speaking the truth. She believed that her future husband was better than all of them combined.

“Enna was just telling me all about the…interesting traditions that you have in Ithilein.” She gave him a smile even as that tell tale blush crept back upon her cheeks. “I must say that you are a much more liberated society. It will be refreshing to live and learn in your court.”

She talked about the negotiations as if they were a certainty. She could accept no other outcome except that she would be leaving with Valius. Letting go of his hand, she turned to the tea service and poured him a cup of tea, offering him the fine piece of pottery and then offering to fill Enna’s cup as well.

“Might I offer you a suggestion, my lord?” She asked, looking at Valius as she saw the tensions starting to leave his body. “My father’s court is a very vain operation. They love to be flattered and complimented and appeased. Might I suggest that you offer to raise any children that we might have in the religion of Al’Tir? It certainly can’t be much different from the religion in your country. Tell them that the great dragon showed you that you make small changes for big changes might create an environment that could be detrimental to the Bryn Alerum.”

She smiled at the mention of that. They would do anything to protect her as they saw her as a Goddess. They wouldn’t dare do anything to draw her displeasure for she might see it fit to take away all of their good fortune.

“Surely continued trade and good will has its merits.” Her voice was innocent, but held a fire that was burning just beneath. She wanted this man and she would have him, even if it meant playing to the weaknesses of her own country.
 
Valius rage did not evaporate as he saw Enna and Bryn, but it pulled back from it's immediacy. The young king came in, nodding to his friend and bowing to Bryn before he sat beside her. "It went...well enough at first." He shook his head, "They made some extensive demands of our crops and beasts, but nothing too untoward. At first. It was what came later that was egregious."

His hands tightened into fists, "If my own nobles said such things, I'd challenge them to the juris macto," he paused, "it's an honor duel, it can be used for legal disputes also in some cases. But these pampered groundhogs think-"

Then her hand touched his and he lost his train of thought. Despite the difference in strength between them she opened his fist and held his hand, stroking it with the other and he felt his anger slip away even more. Her words were an even greater balm. He leaned back against the low couch. "You are kind, My Lady Bryn," he said after a moment. "And wise." He smiled at her, "Already you're taking care of me."

At her smile and blush, he looked over at Enna, who simply smiled impishly and then gave him a wide eyed, innocent stare. What had she told Bryn exactly? "We like to think of ourselves that way, I suppose." He shook his head, "We value personal choice and freedom highly, and, well, given how hard we all work, we value play too." She was talking about living in his land, learning their ways.

Gods, he wanted to kiss her so much right now.

He took the offered tea and listened to her speak. Her input was crucial, he realized. She gave him the insight into Al'Tir and its' peoples that he needed. It also spoke even more of her willingness to do this. She wanted it. She really wanted to be with him.

"To hell with decorum," he said firmly and set the tea cup down. His hands took hers and he leaned forward, dipping his head. He saw her eyes widen as she realized what he was doing before his own closed and then-

Gods. His lips met hers and he kissed her. It was amazing. Her lips were soft and so warm, trembling just a bit, and tasted like...he didn't know what, but it was good. So very good. He held the kiss for a magnificent span of heart beats, an eternity of sensation and delight that over too soon.

He broke the kiss and smiled at her. "I hope that I haven't upset you, Bryn. But I really had to do that." His stormy eyes gazed into her shining blue orbs for long seconds before he spoke again. "And we can do it again whenever you'd like. For now, perhaps we could go elsewhere for a time and learn more about each other and our people. A walk in the garden, archery practice...I could introduce you to my darter, and you to yours."
 
Bryn looked towards her handsome suitor as she heard him say something about not following decorum. Her gaze was confused but as he leaned forward and dipped his head, her eyes grew wide and her body trembled. He was going to kiss her. She was suddenly nervous, her lips trembling at their first contact.

She whimpered, her eyes closing as the magical sensation of his firm lips pressed against hers. She had no idea what to do with her hands and somehow they found themselves pressed against the fine fabric of his shirt, her fingers curling into the material as she clung to him like he was a rock in the middle of a raging river.

He tasted of something exotic, something unknown and he smelled like the rains that fell over the desert. It was clean, fresh, unique to Valius and it made her belly tremble in the most unusual way. He held the kiss beyond what was probably proper, but as he finally pulled away, Bryn tried to follow, gasping as her lips were suddenly empty and her eyes slowly opened.

He was smiling at her, a pleased look on his face and she smiled back in a gentle way, her cheeks stained with a blush as he said that he really had to do that. “I think, my lord, that I would enjoy doing that again.” She said in a hushed tone, very aware that Enna was sitting right across from them.

“Our gardens are fine, but probably pale in comparison to yours, my lord.” She answered in complete honesty, her brow creasing when he mentioned his darter…and hers as well. “You brought one just for me? One of those birds? I would very much like to see them, Valius.”

She was suddenly curious and she nodded as they all rose and went to exit the room. She glanced at Dax and noticed the grin on his face as he regarded Masha and the flush to her face as Valius gave her a long, hard look. “We are going to walk outside for some fresh air. Perhaps you both would like to join us?” Bryn asked, watching as they both nodded and took up position just behind the two of them.

She took Valius’s arm and let him led the way, her lips still tingling from the kiss that he had give her just moments before. “I thank you for your…gift, my lord. No other man has ever bestowed something as precious as that upon me.” She had to be careful with her words lest someone her what she said and report it back to her father. “Is it improper to say that I am eager to explore more with you?”
 
Valius would have to speak to Masha about being more discreet. If he read things right, she and Dax had been at least making out while "guarding" the door. He didn't begrudge her the good time and understood Dax may have employed it as a way to get around the ranger's own anger, but really, there was a time and a place!

He and Bryn walked arm in arm, and he found himself thinking how very pleasant it was. Her closeness, the feel of that slender, feminine arm in his own. He could smell a distinct scent; like the sea but not quite, an aroma uniquely her own from her fiery hair.

At her comment, he smiled and inclined his head, "It was a gift well deserved, my lady, and I have others to give you. Though I will, of course, be guided by your good taste and thoughts on the matter. I do not wish to seem over-hasty or indecorous." Valius grinned at her, "It may be a bit improper, but I enjoy things that way."

He didn't want to rush her. And he certainly didn't want to break and taboos or get them into trouble. His will was strong and it was a good thing; he wanted more of her kisses and more of her.

They walked far to the to the stables where the darters were being housed. The structures had not been built with the great birds in mind and they looked odd in the large, open stalls of the stables. As they drew close, the darters all turned to look and raised their great feathered heads over the walls of the stable stalls. Most of them were a mustard yellow, though a few were a reddish brown. Except for one stall where two very different colored birds were.

Valius walked Bryn up to it. "They're large and can be dangerous but so long as you're firm and respectful, they won't hurt you. They're very well trained." He let her go so that he could open the stall up and go in. After a moment, he led the two darters out. One was the large, black feathered beast he had ridden into the city on. "This is Blackavar, my friend through many years and adventures." The great bird tilted his head to one side, regarding Bryn. "And this is Rubido."

The second darter was every bit as tall and grand as Blackavar but her feathers were a brilliant red. Her large eyes blinked as she took in the two humans and then she took a step towards Bryn. The enormous bird made a soft cooing sound and lowered it's head.
 
Bryn watched as Valius entered the stable and guided two beautiful birds out. They were huge, taller than her by quite a bit. The black bird was an awesome specimen with glossy feathers and a large head. She smiled as Valius introduced both birds to her and they looked at her as if they didn’t know what to make of her.

“She’s beautiful, Valius.” Bryn said with a voice full of awe as the bird lowered its head towards her and cooed. “Such a beautiful girl.” She murmured as she reached out and stroked the beasts smooth, feathered head. She laughed as the bird nudged against her, sending her stumbling back a few steps as she laughed. “And spirited, too. Where did you ever find one with such brilliant coloring?”

She looked over at Valius with a wide grin, obviously pleased with his surprise. What she had once seen as strange, she now looked upon with obvious appreciation. The birds were beautiful, elegant, strong, and appealing.

“We should go for a ride.” She said, her eyes suddenly wide with excitement. She turned towards Dax and pleaded with him. “Please, Dax, can we go for a ride?”

Dax paused and his a strange look suddenly passed over his face. He looked over at Masha and then back at the woman that he was in charge of protecting. There had been reports of outlander activity in recent months, although it had died off in the past few weeks, and he had limited Bryn’s activities outside of the palace. He had explained to Masha what a serious issue this was and he was certain that the woman shared his concern.

“Perhaps briefly if we stay close to the palace.” Was his final decision as he entered into the stable to ready his own mount.

The spider like creature that he rode was intimidating to look at but Bryn knew that Xand, as the creature was know, was really a push over. A nice scratch behind his legs and he would shiver and click in pleasure. Dax took his time to prepare the beast, arming himself for their journey and he pulled the creature out into the sunlight, letting the Ithilein’s get their first good look at what a warrior of Al’Tir rode.

“This is Xand.” Dax introduced him to those gathered, stroking the coarse hair on the back of the spider. The creature made a strange clicking noise, its dark black eyes turning to look at Dax as he patted it. “He looks frightening, but he’s just a big baby.”

Bryn laughed at the look of shock on the delegation’s faces and then she gasped as she felt strong hands wrap around her waist and place her on the back of the darter. She looked down at Valius and blushed, a wide smile on her face as he helped to position her and told her how to control the beast.
 
Valius couldn't help but smile as Bryn laughed and petted Rubido's head. "She's a rare color; the red ones don't usually get that bright, they stay darker in color." As he spoke he pointed to a few of the other birds who were watching from their stalls. "She's been bred for her coloration, and other qualities, of course. Rubido's a very rare darter." Expensive too, not that he'd say that. She cost more than even Blackavar.

Masha had sent off a runner after she and Dax exchanged looks. She went to ready her own mount. Valius would probably be annoyed with her for this, but as long as he was alive to be annoyed, she wouldn't care.

Valius had gotten Rubido's tack on her, showing Bryn how it was done, when he looked up and saw Dax bringing his mount over. Color fled the king's face and his eyes widened just a hair. It was a well kept secret but Valius did not like spiders. Not even a little. And this one was...huge...and hideous...and those legs...those fangs, the clicking, grasping mandibles, and the coarse, ugly hair!

He look a deep breath, clearing his throat and steadying himself. He was not going to show his fear to the others, certainly not to the beast itself. Valius knew about how one faced don predators. "He's a fine looking beast," he said, "though I know nothing of his breed or their quality."

Bryn laughed again, at the reactions of himself and Enna most likely, and the young king smiled despite his guts still being clenched over the beast before him. Her reached down and grabbed Bryn by the waist, loving the feel of her this way, and lifted her up on to Rubido's back.

"Now, you use the reins as you would for a horse, but darters are a lighter touch. They're smarter than horses, for one thing, and better tempered for the most part. She'll respond far more than a horse will, so use a light touch or you'll oversteer." He guided her feet into the stirrups, resisting the urge to caress her legs, "You can use your legs too to guide her, a squeeze and lean is usually enough for a light turn." He looked at how she was sitting and leaned down to adjust a few of the straps. "Later I'll teach you her whistle. Thoroughbreds like Rubido and Blackavar are taught to come to certain whistles; it can be very handy in an emergency."

He heard a noise then, several sets of feet behind them, and turned his head. Sir Claudius had arrived with two buds of rangers; the forest soldiers set into the stables getting their own mounts. Claudius approached, carrying his own arms but also Valius' bow, quiver, and sword. "Fine day for a ride, Sire. Thanks for inviting us."

"...Sir Claudius." He looked back at Masha with a sour look. "I'm sure the lads and lasses have better things to do than accompany us."

Masha was leading her darter as well as Claudius' as she walked up, her face a study of false innocence, "Not at all, Sire! There's little to do here since you want us keeping away from the Al'Tirans until we're sure we'll be welcome. I think it'll do them good to get out and get some air."

"And even if it wouldn't, they and I'd be coming," Claudius growled. "I'm your singulare, Sire, and I take it seriously. Gods know what some religious loon might take into his head with all that's happened, seeing you out riding with Her Ladyship. Begging your pardon, my lady."

Valius sighed. "All right, Claudius." It wouldn't be the semi-private ride he'd wanted with another ten people along, but this wasn't worth arguing over. "Let's get mounted up then," he said as he took his weapons from Claudius and slid them into their places on Blackavar's tack.

In took only a few minutes, as the rangers were well practiced in preparing and mounting quickly. The small group made their way out of the palace and out one of the broad lanes that led to the city wall.
 
Bryn saw Valius’s reaction to Xand and she had to keep herself from laughing. It was apparent that her betrothed did not like the hairy arachnid. Perhaps he’d find comfort in the fact that Xand was just a baby, but she kept her tongue and didn’t mention that he would only be getting bigger.

The stirrups that her feet had been slipped into were cinched shorter than a horse. The reigns in her hands were held loosely and she tested the bird’s sensitivity by squeezing with her heels and was rewarded with a slight movement. It seemed that what Valius had said about the darter was true. It was like a horse, but more sensitive to touch.

She was about to open her mouth to say something when she saw over his head that Sir Claudius had arrived with a contingency of Ithelien guards. She frowned slightly, her thoughts for a nice private ride with Valius dashed as they all began to get their mounts readied and armed. So much for thinking that she were free to move about as she wished. Just as Dax and her father’s guards kept her in a pretty cage, Valius’s men and women would do the same.

Bryn’s heart ached as she heard Claudius’s words about her people being religious fanatics that would do harm to anyone because of the signs that they’d seen. They were certainly religious people, but they wouldn’t harm anyone just for the fun of it. Sure men and women guarding and working together was a foreign concept to most in Al’Tir but it was nothing to kill over.

She turned her head from Valius’s guard and bit her lip, wondering if they all thought that. It wasn’t exactly the beginning that she’d hoped for when it came to her betrothal to the forest king. She waited patiently for the others to mount their birds, Dax coming along side her on Xand and looking over her saddened features with a deep sigh.

“I’m sorry, Bryn. I didn’t know she’d send for more guards.” He said in a soft voice, letting her know that it wasn’t all entirely his fault. “I promise you time alone with your king if I can give it.”

Bryn said nothing, her silence stony and hard as she saw the Ithelien’s begin to push their darters forward. She followed them, another line falling in behind herself and Valius as they made their way out of the palace and onto a trade lane that lead towards the city wall and the rolling desert.

Once they were out on the sparkling white sand, Bryn itched to see what her darter could do. She was fearless when it came to riding even if she didn’t get to do it often and she loved the excitement of a chase. She glanced behind her at Dax and saw the look upon his face, almost warning her to get the thought out of her mind. She turned back to look at Valius and gave him a sly smile.

“Race you.” She whispered to him, giving Rubido a sharp kick in the side that sent the bird skittering over the sand out of the line of the guards. A broad smile to Valius was the last thing she did before she kicked the bird into a frenzy and went on a wild ride across the dunes.
 
Something had Bryn upset. He wasn't sure if it was his reaction to that Xand beast, or the arrival of the extra rangers, or what Claudius had said. Maybe all of them. It wasn't the tone he wanted to have for their first ride together, however.

As they got out onto the desert sands, he took a few moments to admire the sight of the rising dunes and the clean, bare sands. There was a certain stark beauty to the land here; he didn't think he'd ever want to make it home but he could appreciate it.

And then there was his desert rose. Or was she a product of her sea island birthplace? Both, he supposed.

She looked back at her bodyguard and there was a somewhat naughty smile on her lips, her eyes bright. Then her gaze met his. "Race you." Rubido let out a cry and bolted forward; shooting past the line of guards out front and rocketing over the sands. Bryn looked back, beaming, and her laughter carried back to him.

"If it's a race you want," he called back, "you'll have it!"

"Sire!" Claudius and Masha both called out at once, but the young monarch had already launched Blackavar into motion. The black feathered bird shot over the moving sands before Valius jerked up and tapped his heels in, the beast letting out a falcon-like cry and leaping into the air, his wings beating. The jump was long and high, Valius aiming him to cut just ahead of where Bryn's scarlet darter was sprinting through the sands.

Valius and Blackavar landed beside the desert people's goddess and her steed, fine grains bursting up from the force of it in a cloud of dust and grit. The great beast raced forward to keep pace with Rubido. Valius smiled at his bride to be, her hair flying in the wind like a living, fiery banner. Gods, she was beautiful! "What are the stakes of the race?"

Behind them, the rangers and Dax had kicked into motion as well. The guards fanned out to cover a wider area. Two rangers jumped their darters to the highest nearby dunes and stopped, looking out over the sands for many miles from their high vantage points and keeping a sharp lookout.
 
Bryn laughed with glee each time Rubido crested a dune and hurtled into the unknown beyond. She heard Valius behind her shout that he would give her a race. She grinned, bending over the neck of the darter and riding it for all that she was worth.

The sound of Valius’s darter crashing down on the sand behind her caused her to look to the right, grinning as he pulled even with her. The gleam in his eye made her smile and she knew then that her soon to be husband was a man with a good sense of humor and adventure. It would be a wonderful partnership, she thought to herself.

“I guess you’ll have to beat me and find out!” She shouted over to him, her hair blowing in the swift breeze that was rushing into her face as she kicked the bird into a faster pace. “To the oasis!” She cried, a wide smile on her face as she steered Rubido towards the palm oasis a good distance away from the palace.

She had never felt so free in her life. The wind caused a rosy glow to rise on her cheeks. Her eyes were sparkling at the excitement of the chase. She was falling even more deeply in love for the man that was keeping up with her step for step. Their life together would be one of great joy and she couldn’t wait.

They raced over a high dune and the birds fluttered down the other side, passing by a mine that raised a great deal of gold for Al’Tir. The workers watched as the Bryn Alerum and the Dragon King raced passed, cheers drawing from the crowd as the darters struggled for position.

Bryn reigned in Rubido, letting Valius enter the oasis first and she trotted to his side. Rubido panted for air after their great race and the shade of the palm trees offered them a sort of privacy.

“I think, my lord, I shall have to pay you. Would a kiss suffice?” She asked him, her cheeks blushing prettily as she looked up at Valius and tilted her chin towards him, her lips offered to him.


Behind them, Dax drew Xand beside Masha and watched the two royals race off across the sand. He glanced at the ranger that was slowly worming her way into his heart and gave her a wry grin. “She’ll be the death of me one of these days. I suppose His Majesty will do the same for you.”
 
Masha stared after the twin plumes of dust and made a frustrated growl in the back of her throat. Dax's amusement nettled a bit, but she found it hard to be truly angry with him. She sighed, "Like as not, though I'd rather it was worrying over him and not an arrow in the guts meant for him. He's too cavalier! With what happened to the rest of-" She shut her mouth and frowned. "Well. Let's get after them, then, shall we?" She came Dax an arch look, "If that bug of yours can keep up."

At the oasis, Valius grinned. Bryn had such spirit! Such fire! Gods, he loved and desired her more with each moment spent in her company. Her blush was lovely and her offered lips even more so. "Mmm, we'll have to try it and see."

Rather than just lean over, he nudged Blackavar over against Rubido and reached over to take hold of Bryn and lift her off her own bird and over to his own, cradling her against him as then and only then did he take her lips in the offered kiss.

Her kiss was sweet and searing; he felt it enflaming his body and his heart. Valius' lips were gentle at first, but they grew more passionate, more insistent, as he held her. His tongue slipped past his lips to just brush against hers.

The kiss broke and he shivered, smiling, his eyes bright. "Gods, Bryn. The way you make me feel is almost frightening. I feel after that kiss...that I'm in your debt. I should repay you, I think." He kissed her again, shifting her so that her arms could move to his shoulders or about his neck if she wished.

The kiss was interrupted as Blackavar suddenly walked forward, jostling the two humans on his back. "Whoa, boy, what are you about now?" The great bird, with Rubido trailing after, walked up to the oasis pool and lowered his head, drinking.

Valius smiled at the beauty in his arms, "Alas, they're not made for this sun and heat, so I imagine they both'll want a drink." He gave her a squeeze, pressing her soft, slender body to his hard, strong one though their clothes separated them still. "Poor beasts; I've got all I could want right here."

Back along the way they had come, Masha and Dax raced until there was a strange, rising trill that rang out across the dunes. Masha pulled her darter up and wheeled it about, her eyes training immediately on one of the distant lookouts atop the tallest of the dunes. The rising trill whistled out again; a bird call, though not one ever heard here in the desert.

Behind them, Claudius raced past, "Done flirting? They've spotted something. Let's hope it's just some trading nomads but get to them in case it isn't!"
 
“Xand might be slower than that bird of yours, but he’s most definitely built for this heat.” Dax said to Masha with a grin as she unloaded her fears and concerns for her king. The loyalty that she displayed was an admirable quality and made him all the more interested in the mysterious woman.



Bryn gasped as her brought Blackavar close to Rubido and lifted her off her saddle and into his lap. He was a man of hard muscle, power radiating off his arms and legs as he held her tightly against his body. She sighed as his lips pressed against hers, taking her offered prize.

His lips were firm and warm, tasting of something that was unnamed to her. She closed her eyes and melted into his embrace, her hands pressing against the warmth of his chest. Her head was full of unfamiliar sensations, her body wanting something that she didn’t know even had a name.

She whimpered as he deepened the kiss, his tongue brushing against her lips until she parted them and gasped as he traced inside of her mouth and dueled with her own tongue. She was gasping and shivering as he broke the kiss and she opened her eyes to look up at her future husband with a look of wonder.

“I…” She started, stammering over her words before she finally got herself back under control. “I’m not sure just what you do to me, Valius. Does it even have a name?” She was so sheltered in her life at the palace that she couldn’t explain what she was feeling when he held her close and kissed her like that.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, staring up into his stormy eyes and smiled as his lips pressed against hers once more. It was brief, interrupted by Blackavar as he walked forward towards the pool that was in the center of the oasis. She giggled as Rubido followed and began drinking greedily.

“One has to be careful in the desert.” She said, looking up at the man that had captured her heart. “Before you believe something is wrong, you could already be past the point of no return.” She pressed her cheek against Valius’s chest, sighing as she listened to the soft beating of his heart. It was soothing and it made her feel warm inside to listen to him so intimately.

The strange noise of a bird calling out had Bryn snapping back, looking through the thick palms with a frown. “What was that?” She asked, struggling to look through the palms to see what had made the noise. “A darter?” She asked in a soft voice.
 
Her breathing, the way her body shivered against him, the way she held herself to his body, Gods, it made him feel hot and heady, needy, and eager. He wanted her so much right now. But it wouldn't be proper, wouldn't be right, and an innocent, pure soul like hers...

She was too good for him. He knew that. But she wanted to be with him anyway.

It was a miracle. Maybe she was a goddess after all.

"There are words for it, Bryn, but...I feel like saying them would be a disservice to you," he answered her with a low, throaty whisper. He wanted to say them; wanted to give these feelings, the hot, hungry thoughts in his mind form and shape, but...but he couldn't.

It was in his eyes though; both the desire and warring uncertainty over the rightness of it.

The darters saved him then; moving to drink. He laughed with her giggle, holding her to him and loving the feeling, savoring her soft warmth in his arms. Her head was resting against his chest. Valius looked down at her, smiling. It was just about perfect.

The faint, trilling bird call brought his head up sharply and he inhaled in a quick, shallow breath. "No. Not a darter. It's a Redwing; they only live in the forest. It's a signal. The rangers see something."

Valius slung Bryn back onto Rubido, "Bryn, ride back to Dax and Masha, now! Don't argue with me!" He kicked Blackavar into motion and pulled the reins, the great bird leaping to the top of the nearby palms. He pulled his bow from his saddle, hooking it into his tack on one end, bending the other over his right shoulder and stringing the weapon. His eyes swept over the desert as he nocked an arrow, seeking what it was that his guards had seen.

To the north, there was a strip of dark motion on the glowing sand. Men and beasts moving. Not a big band; not an army. Maybe a wandering nomad trading group? His mind drifted back to what Aldor had said.

Who else had seen the the dragon and thought it a sign?

Who was coming?

He didn't know enough of the desert people to identify those riders. He may not know until it was too late. Valius prayed Bryn had listened to him, prayed that the guards had run after them. That they weren't alone in the deadly heat.

Valius raised the bow and drew the string back, taking aim at the lead figures. They weren't in range yet.

He breathed in and hoped some sign would be shown to him.
 
Fear, dark and heavy, weighed on her heart as Valius murmured that it wasn’t a darter and that meant that there was danger near. She frowned as she saw the way that he was moving in quick and efficient motions. He slung her onto Rubido’s back as if she weighed nothing, the reigns thrust back into her hands and his order to find Dax and Masha.

“No, Valius.” She said, shrinking back as he said not to argue. She watched as he pulled his reigns and kicked Blackavar into motion, the bird leaping to the top of the palms.

She was left alone in the oasis then and she was both concerned and afraid. She wanted to do as he said and run for safety, but she didn’t want to leave him alone. What if he died there without anyone to help him? Rubido moved with nervous energy as Bryn debated what would be the best thing to do.

With a deep sigh, Bryn offered up a prayer for Valius and turned Rubido back the direction she’d come. She hurried from the oasis and burst back into the hot sun and burning sands. She could see the distant figures of Dax and Masha with Claudius riding towards her with an alarming speed. There was danger, but from what?

No, she wasn’t going to simply stay put and wait for the danger to go away. She wanted to see what was coming their way. Bryn whipped Rubido towards a nearby dune and spurred the giant bird up the hot sand, cresting the swirling desert and looking across the wide expanse of land, squinting in the light.

She could make out figures in the distance and it wasn’t enough to be traders. They looked unfamiliar, dressed in dark garments that weren’t suited to the desert sun. Foreigners? Strange, she thought to herself. It was foolish to try to cross the desert in the heat of day as they were.

Suddenly a loud crack sounded across the empty plains, a rumbling boom sounding for miles around. Rubido reared, panicking and Bryn let out a cry, wrapping her arms around the bird’s great neck as she struggled to keep her seat. What was that noise? She saw the traveling party take up positions as if for a fight and another loud crack sounded. Bryn was taken aback as a sand dune next to her exploded in a burst of loud noise and flying sand.

What black magic was this? Rubido was spooked, dancing back and forth along the dune with wild eyes. Bryn tried to calm the bird, but there was nothing to be done as it turned and bolted away from the explosion. She screamed, holding onto the bird as it took off in wild flight, her eyes squeezed shut as it took her on a wild ride.
 
Someone among the group was waving their hands over some low slung, heavy looking thing that had been dragged along behind a lumbering auroch. The beast itself was alarming; an auroch was not an animal to bring into the desert, it would take a lot of water.

But if you weren't planning on getting out again...

Then there was a puff of smoke form the thing and thunder broke across the dunes. Blackavar started, almost losing his perch, Valius nearly loosing the arrow he had nocked, "What the-"

A sand dune exploded. The whole towering, time built mound of dirt and sand burst in all directions and rained down, some of it whirling away in the desert wind. There were a pair of screams at the same time as Valius turned to watch with wide, astonished eyes. He caught sight of something bright red shooting out of the dust cloud of the former dune and pelting madly away in the general direction of the city.

Bryn! That...that whatever it was had attacked her!

Rage blasted through his mind and he snarled. He spurred Blackavar forward; his steed, unlike Rubido, had been trained to be ridden into battle, to fight as well as bear a master. "Fight me, cowards!" The bird leaped through the air and as it did, he raised his bow, aimed, and released all in one motion. "Ithilien for Bryn!"

As he landed, the small black mote of his arrow hit in the gathered group and the figure who had been gesticulating over the magical weapon stumbled back and fell. Valius nocked another arrow, drawing his bow and lifting it high up to arc the shot over the dunes in front of him and released. He was guiding Blackavar with only his legs now; both of his arms busy feeding and firing his mighty weapon.

Xand let out a horrid screech as Dax wheeled him about, seeing the red form of Rubido fleeing towards he and the other guards, Bryn clinging to the bird desperately. "Bryn, hold on!" He could not calm the bird thing, and his mount would probably only spook it further if we went charging up, "Masha, the bird, please!"

Her face was stricken as the ranger looked where Dax pointed. Her duty was to save Valius, but if something happened to the girl-

"Go," Claudius called out. The old ranger had not stopped his rush, prodding his darter to even greater speed. "Save our queen and I'll get that young idiot king of ours!" She wheeled her darter and kicked it hard, taking off like a fired arrow on an intercept course for Bryn's mad with fear mount.

Valius rode through the ruined dune towards the dark clad people below. The arrows he'd fired unseen seemed to have caused panic, and at least one had found its' mark. But he could see them now. They were in range.

Every citizen of Ithilien, high born and low, followed a few key laws of the land that had existed since the kingdom's founding. Along with whatever trade or profession a man or woman learned from their parents, their masters, every Ithilien citizen learned to shoot a bow starting at age nine. When a person came of age at eighteen, they were given a full longbow to keep and maintain, to practice with it an hour every rest day until they died or old age made it impossible. Every person in Valius' kingdom was a practiced marksmen.

Those who served in the rangers, as every noble was required to, learned and trained even more with the powerful weapons. Valius was a better swordsman than an archer; but he had used a bow every day of his life, he had learned the ranger's secrets, and his enemy was in range with nothing between he and they but space.

He did not stop moving, Blackavar following the nudging on his knees and guidance of the king's body, the great bird crying out in animal challenge and breaking to the right of the band of strangers; across their front ranks. His hands flickered and the mighty bow thrummed like a deep, pulsing heartbeat and the dark clad attackers died with each bend and release of the bow's limbs.

They had bows too, he could see. Shorter, composite bows like the soldiers of the Fire Nation bore; less power and less range than his. He could shoot at them while they could not yet reach him.

His smile was vicious as his bow continued to sing. The strangers were mounting up, readying a charge. How many could he kill before they reached him?

There was a rush of sand and Claudius' darter landed to his right, the old knight reaching out and punching his king across the jaw as hard as he could. Valius reeled from the blow and his last arrow shot wide. "Sorry, Sire," the old ranger said, "Didn't see you there!" He grabbed Blackavar's reins and hauled the beast around, sending himself and Valius running back towards the rest of their little group.
 
The dust and sand of the desert was kicked up in a great rush as Rubido ran out of control. Bryn clung to her neck, knowing that if she let go at that speed she might be greatly hurt. Distantly she could hear Dax’s voice yelling to her to hold on. Stupid instructions, she thought to herself as she squeezed her eyes shut.

She never thought the bird would stop. It was frightened and out of control and she was unfamiliar with how to control the birds that were not native to her lands. Oh, she wished that Valius had come with her. She heard someone yell out beside her and when she opened her eyes, she saw Masha riding along side the frightened darter.

She let out a shriek as Masha darted in front of her bird and drew them both to a stop. Her arms felt like jelly and she was shaking but they were blessedly stopped. She sighed and slowly unwrapped her arms from around Rubido’s strong neck.

“Thank you.” She sighed in a breathless voice, looking at Masha as she soothed the frightened bird. “Thank the Gods you stopped her.”

Bryn glanced over her shoulder at the small group of rangers that was gathering and she strained to see Valius. He wasn’t there, which meant…

“Masha, where’s Valius?” She asked, her voice tinged with stress and fright. What if he were captured or hurt or…no, she wouldn’t think that way.



Dax kept a watchful eye over the rangers that were gathering as Claudius reappeared over the dunes with the king in tow. “Nice to have you back, your Highness.” He said, reigning Xand in as the old ranger approached and tossed the reigns to another ranger.

“Right then, I need a volunteer group of five. We will crest the dune and scout out their position. If they’re encumbered by slow moving animals then we will have the upper hand.” Dax said in a quick, precise tone. He reigned Xand towards the dune, spurring him quickly up the dune as her heard men and women fall in line behind him. “Claudius, come on.” He said over his shoulder as he watched Masha make her way back with Bryn in tow.


Bryn saw Valius sitting on Blackavar, a black look upon his face. “What’s wrong?” She asked him as Masha guided Rubido behind her darter. “Are you hurt?” She reached out and touched her betrothed, checking over his arms and chest and then his face to see if she could find any injury. “Valius, what’s wrong?”
 
Valius almost pulled away from Bryn's hands and her insistent, alarmed concern. Almost. He was furious; angrier than he had maybe ever been. But he wasn't about to take it out on the scared girl beside him. "I'm all right, Bryn. That explosion wasn't near me and I didn't get close enough for them to shoot."

He looked over at her and let his eyes travel over her form. She was disheveled but looked unharmed. "Are you all right? I saw Rubido spooked." He was embarrassed by that. It was hardly a good first ride for the beast. "But at least she ran the right direction."

The young king looked back where Dax, Claudius and the others had gone. "But this...I was fighting them, drawing them away, and now we're all bunched up again where you are. And my rangers are obeying the orders of a foreigner with no rank that I know of rather than their captain or their king. When the nobles back home hear about that, there'll be hell to pay. They'll say I'm weak and that our own people won't follow me."

He gestured angrily at the group of rangers who had gone after Dax, "And they'd be right, apparently!" Gods, he was so angry he was sure his skull would burst open from the pressure and heat of it. "All that military order and discipline and oaths of fealty apparently mean nothing next to a silk shirt and a giant spider!"

But that wasn't the worst of it. The worst of it was the lack of respect. He had been a ranger himself, like all nobles. He'd trained hard and diligently his whole life to be a good king when the time came. And now his own people took the orders of a foreign guardsman over his. That's how much they thought of him.

"Bryn, you should ride back to Al'Tir where it's safe. Tell your father what happened and that we're scouting it out." They might not want to follow him, might not respect him, might seek to embarrass and humiliate him, but he'd be damned if he let them accuse him of cowardice as well. He looked back at the rangers who had not yet left, "Masha, take the rest of them and go with her. Keep her safe."

With that, he spurred Blackavar into movement again, following after Dax, Claudius, and the other rangers who had gone to scout.
 
Every word from his lips was like a knife twisted in her belly. Bryn could feel her sadness and her anger growing at a rapid pace. He was insulting her guard, insulting her people, and it made Bryn see red. She watched as he spurred his darter towards the rangers and Dax, telling her to go and seek out her father. No, she thought, she wasn’t going to be the meek little girl that he thought she was.

Bryn pushed Rubido onward, stopping Valius as she cut his retreat off. She eyes were narrowed, the blue in them a stormy color and her chin set in a determined position.

“Excuse me, Your Highness.” She didn’t called him by his name or refer to him as anything but his title. “But I do believe that this is the second time in so many days that someone from your delegation has dared to insult my people.”

“First you allow your guard to speak with loose lips about my people and their religious beliefs. He makes them out to be fanatics that will mob and or kill you with the first chance that they get. Do you believe that, Your Highness? Do you believe that the people of Al’Tir wish you harm? Because I can tell you that to them you are nothing.”

“Second, you insult my own personal guard because of some imagined injustice!” Bryn was so angry that she could feel her face heat, her cheeks becoming redder by the moment. “Just because he guards a no name member of the royal household does not mean that he isn’t qualified to lead people into battle. Dax is a general in our army. He has given up his title to protect what is most important to the king, namely me.”

She pushed Rubido until she was right up next to Valius, poking his chest with an outstretched finger as her rant continued. “You even admitted to me, Your Highness, that these birds of yours are not meant for the desert heat. Who better to lead your men that a “silk shirt” on his giant spider? Are you made for the desert? When was the last time that you fought in this terrain in your heavy garments of green and brown? You don’t blend in here as you do in the forest!”

“And lastly, you are a king without an heir and without a wife and to me that sounds like reason enough to pull you from a battle!” Her voice was raised a notice, her fingers gripping the reigns tightly to keep herself from losing her nerve. “The man that has sworn to protect you has done what he promised that he would do. You are the king now! Not some low level prince that can run off into battle as expendable cattle. You are the one thing that means the most to those people are you better start acting like it.”

Bryn was tearing the brooch on her shoulder and the bracelet around her wrist off before she realized what she was doing, throwing them at a bewildered Valius as she felt tears flood her eyes.

“Take your gifts back because I do not believe I can be betrothed to a man that can think such horrible things about his beloveds own people.”

With that she wheeled Rubido back around and kicked the surprised beast back into a frenzy, wanting away from Valius before her tears fell. Her heart ached and she kept running around in her mind how silly of a girl she was to think that he really could have ever wanted her.
 
Valius was too stunned to respond at first. Bryn's anger and most of all her tears completely shocked him. As she went on, ranting at him, the shock wore away and his own anger flared up to replace it. She gave him no room to talk, and ran away when she finished, after she flung his gifts back into his face.

He sat on his mount as he heard the sound of Rubido running off. Masha cleared her throat, "Sire, perhaps we should all return."

She was partly right, and that was one of the things that infuriated him. He had no heir and no wife, and now apparently she no longer wished to be his. He was too valuable to risk in that if he died, the royal line died.

He closed his eyes and he felt a great, emptiness in his chest. He'd felt it often since his family had left him alone, since being king and becoming responsible for so much, and so alone, undermined and attacked by his own nobles, and now this...

Gods. Why couldn't he have been taken by the river too? It would have made everything so much easier.

He was useless here. His own men obeyed others rather than him. And to protect the royal line, he had to be a coward. To flee when others went into danger.

...To hell with the line. To hell with him, he hoped. Maybe he and Bryn would both get lucky, and he'd catch an arrow in the stomach. Then she wouldn't have to be bothered with his presence either.

"Sire?"

"I ordered you to go with and protect her, didn't I?" Valius voice was cold, even to his own ears. "Go and do so, if there are any rangers here loyal enough to obey their king."

"Yes, Sire!" He heard a noise as the other birds turned and ran off after Bryn, to see her safely to the city.

Not all of them had gone. "Sire, as your singulare-"

"You don't have the authority to countermand me," he snapped, cutting off Masha's words. "But stay anyway. I want to get a vantage point on the scout group and make sure they don't get into trouble. If they do, we might be able to assist or create an opening for them to break away."

The female ranger breathed a little easier. He wasn't going to go charging into the unknown, at least, or any fighting unless it looked grim. "Yes, Sire."

He looked back at her and nodded then; his face cold and composed but his eyes were withdrawn and bleak. Valius nudged Blackavar forward, stepping over the rejected gifts Bryn had thrown at him and leaving them behind in the sands.

He and Masha led their mounts behind the nearby dunes and then dismounting, climbing up the tallest of the sandy hills until they got close to the top. They got down and crawled to the crest from there, peering out to see what could be seen of the outlanders and of the scouting party Dax and Claudius had led.
 
From a vantage point across the wide desert, two men watched the scene as the reinforcements from the forest king’s kingdom made their way to the small contingency that was surrounding the rudimentary cannon. They were studying, watching, seeing what they would do faced with a weapon they had never seen before.

“Has it been successful, sir?” The smaller of the two asked the man beside him as he reigned in his sandy colored horse.

Sweat lightly covered his pale skin. Even dressed in the traditional clothing of Al’Tir, it was hot in the desert and he was not use to the beating sun. Where they were from, it was grey and cold much of the time, even as the seasons changed. His closely cropped black hair curled against his head, making his dark brown eyes seem all the blacker. He was the ruler of the Glaca and he was pleased with how their first foray into Al’Tir had gone. With their new weapon they had already conquered many smaller tribes, but he would have Al’Tir before much time had passed.

He had learned that the forest king was asking for the Bryn Alerum’s hand in marriage. That was unfortunate, he thought. If the marriage did occur it would complicate things. He would have to kill the man and punish her, but that was something to think about for the future. The thought of the unworthy forest king touching Bryn Alerum in any way made anger and rage burn deep in his belly.

“I believe it has been successful.” He said, his deep voice rough as he turned his steed back towards the direction they’d come from. “Call the others back. We shall regroup and head home.”

“Yes, sir.” His second in command said, letting loose a loud whistle that would signal to the others that a retreat was in order.

Dax was leading the charge against the men that hadn’t been killed by Valius’s arrows. There were still four left, scurrying around the strange cylinder that spouted fire like a dragon. The auroch was pawing at the ground with nervous energy as the men unhooked it and let it lumber along the sand. Before he could draw Xand up to them, another blast from the cylinder sounded, making everything around him shake.

Glancing over his shoulder, Dax noticed the way that Claudius was fanning his men out around them, cutting off retreats as best as they could. The strange men were trapped, despite their planned retreat. Dax first noticed that they were dressed in black, a strange color for Al’Tir. The cut of the clothing was very much like his, which would have made it easier to blend in save for the odd color.

“Keep one alive!” Dax called out as a volley of arrows issued forth, striking the men and making Dax growl. “I said keep one alive!”

Even as the words left his lips, a fire engulfed the cylinder. They were burning their weapon! Dax leapt off Xand, hurrying through the sand as he approached the men that were scattering, leaving the dead behind. He watched as the strange weapon was completely covered in flames, burning what would have given him clues as to how it worked.

He watched the remaining men scatter and run, hunted down by the Itheliens on their quick moving darters. The men were slain, leaving one alive as they were instructed. Dax walked around the burning weapon, sighing as Claudius appeared beside him.

“We can put the fire out with sand and hook the auroch up to it again. It should make it back to Al’Tir and we can figure out what this thing is.” Dax turned to look at the badly wounded man that was left alive. “He may spend some time in the dungeon. Torture him if need be.”

Glancing at Claudius, he gave him a slight grin. “How much trouble am I in with your king? Better yet, how much trouble are you in with your king.”



Bryn raced blindly across the sand, her tears impeding her view. Rubido ran towards the white stone palace, the sounds of darters behind her spurring her faster until she reached the safety of the stables. Bryn slid off her mount when she was home, allowing the Itheliens to inform her father as to what had happened.

Bryn ran through the halls to her room, slamming the door once she was in there. She was a fool, she thought to herself as she drew the heavy curtains and threw her room into darkness. How could she ever think that Valius would want her? He didn’t want her advice. He didn’t want her guard to help in any way. He didn’t trust her people. It was all one big horrible mess.

She lay across her bed and wept at the ache in her heart. It was almost too much, she thought as fresh tears replaced the old, wringing her inside out. She barely noticed when the door to her room opened and Enna entered, trying her best to calm the girl in her sorrow. She stroked her back, brushing the red hair away from her tear stained face and listened patiently as Bryn told her what happened.

“He must hate me now!” She exclaimed, her red eyes turning towards Enna in the gloom of the room. “How could he ever want a silly girl like me? He needs a woman that can help him with his kingdom. I could never do that.”
 
Claudius didn't answer Dax right away; the old ranger had dismounted to help with hooking the abandoned and burned weapon back to the auroch that had pulled it. "You? He'll be angry and you can expect him to talk to you about it. But he'll not be too harsh. I don't think he knows it yet but he's in love with your redheaded charge and he'll not do anything to make her hate him."

He sighed, "But me?" The leathery skinned forest fighter shook his head. "If he was his father, I'd be hung for treason as soon as we got back to the palace. Valius gets his temper from the old king but he's a wiser man in other ways. He won't kill me or dismiss me yet. I'll serve out my position while we're here but once we're back...I expect he'll dismiss me from my post. Honorably, of course, full pay and medals and all, but he'll make sure I have no legal right to command the rangers in any way."

The straps tightened into place around the great bull-like beast's flanks and it was urged up, dragging the ruined cannon up and out of the sand it had sunk into. "He'll never fully trust me again," Claudius' voice was sad but resigned. "Nor should he. I should have waited a second for him to give us leave to follow you or agree but instead, to his eyes, I chose your authority over his."

"He's alone, Dax." The ranger-knight pulled his hood down and ran a hand through graying hair. "With all his kin dead, there're nobles back home who think they can make themselves king; they been pushing since the old king and all the rest died. When word of this gets back, some of them'll think that the king no longer commands the loyalty of the rangers and they'll make a move. Could be we'll leave here to walk right into a civil war back in Ithilien. And I might have made it possible. Valius'll know that and he'll have to wonder if I'm not in the pocket of one of the nobles plotting against him. So he'll push me away, Masha too most like as she's been my protege, and he'll be more alone and unguarded than ever."

"I betrayed his trust. Didn't mean to, but I did all the same." Claudius spat onto the sands. "...It's done though, and no undoing it. Let's get this unholy thing back and get out of the sun. Darters'll be starting to fold without some rest and water soon."




Valius rose and watched the men below securing the cannon and the prisoner. They'd made it without any casualties, which was good. But it was also very strange. What was the whole purpose of these strange men and their weapon? "This isn't over," he murmured. "This...was a message, a warning."

Masha nodded slowly, "I agree, Sire. There must be more of them, probably not too far away, watching to report back to the main body. We should warn King Aldor."

"We will." He turned his face away from the sight of his men obeying a foreign man's orders and half walked, half slid down the slope of the dune; his mind turning. Who were they loyal to now? Was it this group or was the whole contingent of rangers he'd brought with him in service to whoever had bought Claudius? Gods, what if all the rangers were against him?

Then he wouldn't be king, or alive, for much longer. He'd have to hope that wasn't the case.

What about Masha? Could he afford to trust her now?

"Mount up, Tribune. We'll return ahead of the men." He got onto his own black feathered bird and nudged it into motion, again moving along the backs of the dunes to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

As they passed the spot where Bryn had rebuked him, he paused and looked down at the gifts he'd given her as they gleamed on the sand. He wanted to pick them up but he should leave them. If she felt so little for him that she would throw his gifts away, not even let him speak his piece to her or refute her accusations, why should he pick up what she didn't want?

He sighed. She'd hurt him with that and that was why he wanted to leave the items there. To make it cost her something. Valius slid off of Blackavar and plucked the gleaming, sun heated pieces of jewelry out of the desert. He looked at them for a moment and was half tempted to throw them back down again. Instead he slid them into his saddle bags and re-mounted. Without a word further, he turned his steed and rode back to the palace with Masha behind him.






Enna listened and said nothing, just stroking the sobbing girl's glorious hair and feeling her heart ache for both this poor girl and her lord and friend. It was such a mess! But she shook her head at Bryn's final exclamation, "Darling Bryn, he doesn't hate you. He's pride's been stung and his feelings hurt, I'm sure, throwing the gifts at him...he'll take that personally and deeply, I'm afraid. He's more sensitive than you might think."

"But he doesn't hate you." She gave Bryn a re-assuring smile, "And he still wants you, of that I'm sure. I've never seen him this way before, the way he is with you. One tongue lashing and some hurt feelings won't change that so easily."

She gathered the girl into a hug, "It'll be all right. When he gets back, after he's met with the king and all, you'll see him. Try not to hold what happened against him and when you two have some privacy, talk to him about what you said and why you said it. Explain and let him do the same. This mess will only poison things if it's left to fester. Best to deal with it right away and clear it all up."
 
Dax listened in silent concentration as Claudius explained what would happen to him when they returned to Ithilien. That was a shame, he thought to himself as he helped to rig up the weapon to the auroch and then mounted Xand once more. His mind was running a million miles a minute as he thought over every situation and consequence. He knew what he had to do and he knew that it wouldn’t be easy.

He rode in silence next to the rangers his face a grim line. The men and women that he rode with were honorable and he didn’t doubt that they served their king with an unfailing faith. There would be no dissention in these ranks, but when he returned back to his homeland it seemed like he was facing a civil war. And that meant that Bryn would be experiencing war the moment she set foot in a foreign land.

Once they lumbered back into the palace, the order was given to take the prisoner to the dungeon and to unhook the mysterious weapon from the auroch. The poor beast was given water and food and the weapon was taken to a secured room. Driving Xand into the stables, he placed him in his stall, petting his bristly fur and giving him feed. The arachnid clicked and sighed, trembling as it began to eat.

Dax admired the darters that were being stored there for a few moments before he decided that there was nothing more he could distract himself with. He went to find the forest king. Valius still looked as if he were angry as Dax approached him. Masha was tending to their beasts as the guard stopped and bowed to the man.

“Your Highness, I ask to speak to you in private.” Dax said, glancing up at him and motioning for him to follow him towards the barracks. It would be quiet there that time of day with the other guards out on patrol on in training. His polished boots clicked on the cobblestones as he heard the other man following behind him.

He stepped inside the barracks, leading him to the small room that he called his own. It was Spartan, holding only a chest, a bed, and a small desk. He let Valius enter behind him and closed the door, turning to face the king as he thought about what he would say.

“I apologize, Your Highness, for overstepping my boundaries.” He said in a sincere voice. “You must understand that when it comes to Bryn, I must protect her at all costs. I’ve been trained to lead men into battle and it simply felt natural to call yours to order. It was unacceptable though and I apologize.”

Dax sighed and kneeled before the forest king, his blonde head bowed. “I wish to accept any punishment you would bestow upon your men. They were not at fault for what happened. They are good and honorable, only wishing to protect you. I led them into a dangerous situation without your consent. I only ask that you spare them from any punishment.”

His heart was beating quickly. He hoped that the forest king would not be as cruel as his temper would lead him to think.


Bryn sobbed in Enna’s arms. It had been so long since someone had held her for comfort. It was like a dam breaking and the emotions just rushed forward. She couldn’t bear the thought that she’d spoke so sternly to Valius and she was already regretting the fact that she’d thrown her gifts in his face. She missed the golden brooch and the pretty bracelet that she’d worn ever since he’d arrived.

She felt like a child as she allowed someone else to dry her tears, murmur words of encouragement in her ear and try to make her feel better. It help a little, but her heart was still aching over what had just transpired.

“I don’t think I have the courage to speak to him.” She said in a soft voice as Enna relaxed her hold. “Would you…would you ask him to come here?” She asked, looking at the woman that she considered a dear friend now. “It makes me a coward, I know, but I don’t think I could stand his rejection if I asked.”
 
Valius followed Dax and wondered if he was a fool to do so. The guard likely did not think well of him; certainly not of his skill and may not have thought he'd be a good match for Bryn. But he was also, as far as the forest king had seen, a good man. Despite the politics back home and what had just happened...he didn't want to start doubting everyone around him.

He should, but he didn't want to. Even if it got him killed.

The quarters Dax led him to were simple and plain; those of a career soldier and a well disciplined one. Valius kept his face impassive as he listened to Dax speak and then shock was visible on his features as the man knelt before him.

It was a bold move and a smart one. Valius couldn't punish Dax in any meaningful way in Aldor's own palace and court; Dax wasn't his to punish. But he wasn't sure Dax had thought of that. He meant it openly and honestly, just as he said it.

An idea occurred and Valius smirked, drawing his sword from his belt. He lifted it and then brought it down, a light smack of the flat of the blade on Dax's left shoulder, and then his right, "There is no punishment for acting at your station, Sir Dax," Valius said. "As I have dubbed you a Ranger-Knight of Ithilien, and an honorary Captain of the Crown Tree." It just might work. If Dax had title and rank in the rangers, then his commanding them wasn't any kind of usurpation.

He sheathed his sword and held out a hand to Dax, pulling him to his feet and gripping his forearm in the traditional expression of respect and camaraderie among fighting men. "And if anyone asks, I did that last night and not just now, understand, Sir Dax?"

"Now, let's go collect Claudius and Masha and have a word with King Aldor. The Glacans are here or will be soon." The young ruler exited and almost ran into the two rangers as they were approaching Dax's door.

"Sire!" Masha shook her head, "I'm sorry, Sire, when you went off like that-"

Claudius spoke at the same time, "You've no need to direct your ire anywhere else, Sire, t'was me that-"

Valius held up his hands, "Enough, the both of you." He gestured for all of them to follow him, "Sir Dax is about to take us to King Aldor, you two should both come."

Cladius' brow furrowed. "Sir Dax?"

The younger man smiled, smirked really. "Didn't I tell you? Dax is a Ranger-Knight now, by order of the king himself...the king myself, I suppose. He's your equal in rank Claudius, though if you don't watch it I'll make you his valet."

Masha was nodding, "Very clever, Sire. That'll keep the rangers squarely on your side politically."

The old ranger was nodding now, "And with their backing, none of the trouble makers will be bold enough to jump." He let out a breath, "Gods be praised, I thought I'd started a civil war."

"Not today, Sir Knight. Though we're going to have war enough right here soon." Valius turned to Dax, "If you'll take us to the king, Sir Dax, I don't think we should delay any longer."



Enna hugged the girl again, "Oh, you silly goose!" She wondered if Bryn had ever even seen a goose, but no matter. "You're not a coward. And of course I'll go to Valius for you. It's what a lady does for her friend when she's distraught and in love."

She pulled back and patted her friend's cheek, "I'll go and wait for him. Unless I'm wrong, he'll go to talk to your father first about those strange men." Enna rose from the bed, "I'll wait for them to finish talking and deliver the message myself. You might want to wash up a bit, Bryn dear. I'll try to send someone ahead to let you know when he's coming, all right?"

The Ithilien noblewoman reached out and gave the slender beauty's shoulder a squeeze. "It will be all right, Bryn. He's quick to anger but he's a good man and you already have his heart, I'd swear to it."
 
Dax frowned as he heart the sound of a sword sliding from its sheath. He closed his eyes, praying to the Gods that this wasn’t about to be his last moments on earth. He was honestly shocked when the flat his the king’s blade smacked on his shoulders. He looked up at him and frowned slightly before he was named an honorary Captain of his army, as well as a ranger-knight. He had knighted him?

Dax was thoroughly confused as he allowed the king to pull him to his feet and he gripped his forearm in respect. “Understood, Your Highness.” He said with a slight grin on his face.

“I must tell you, Sire, that when Bryn goes to Ithilien with you, I will ask to come along. She is yours to guard and protect, I understand, but I made a promise to her brother on his death that I would follow her to the ends of the earth and back. I cannot break that promise.”

With that explained, he followed the king to the door, meeting Masha and Claudius. He listened to their exchange, giving the other man a knowing look. He had probably saved his life. He would have done it a million times over for a respectable ranger such as Claudius. Masha could pay her thanks a million times over as well, he thought with a grin in the woman’s direction before he nodded the king and led him to Aldor.



The meetings of the kings was tense. The news of the Glacans was most definitely concerning. Aldor listened to the recounting of the events from Dax, glancing towards Valius and his delegations every so often. It seemed like he had run out of time when it came to the Glacans and now they had a weapon that could cause great damage. They had little time to finish the negotiations with the Ithiliens before Bryn was in great danger.

“King Valius, I would advise that we study this new weapon and discovered how it works.” Aldor finally spoke, looking at the younger man. “And I would also advise that we resume marriage negotiations as quickly as possible. I fear that we are running out of time.”

He hoped that Valius would understand his meeting. It was no longer about getting supplies and continued trade with the other country. It was about protecting something that was so incredibly important to him.

“Have your delegation here after dinner. We have much to talk about.” With that, Aldor was finished. He stood, nodded to all gathered and move to attend to other business.


Bryn nodded at Enna’s words, knowing that she must look terrible. She watched as her new friend left and she sighed. She moved to her chest and flipped open the lid, looking at her gowns within. She wanted to wear something green and beautiful for Valius, to show him that she really was committed to him. The only green gown that she owned was a lovely dark color, one that was really only worn on very special occasions. It showed off her body to the best of its ability, cut to lie against her curves with sleek precision.

Her breasts were on display, cupped by the low cut top and the long slit up the side exposed her thigh as she walked. She buckled her black belt around her waist and strapped on delicate black sandals with it. She brushed her hair until it gleamed in the light and she left it loose. There was nothing to do for her puffy and red eyes except to pray that Valius forgave her. She didn’t know what she would do if Enna was wrong.
 
Valius nodded his agreement, "I've some of my folk looking at it now, Your Majesty. And I agree on the other count as well. Our negotiations will proceed and finish quickly." He understood well Aldor's concern. Bryn was in danger. If it could be agreed on soon, they might be able to rush her out of the Fire Nation and back to Ithilien. The mountain passes were easy to defend and if the Glacans came for Bryn through them, it would be a much harder fight, magical weapon or not. She would be far safer behind the mountains than here in the desert.

He bowed at the obvious dismissal and left Aldor's presence, the king and his counselors still talking. Claudius looked back thoughtfully, "He knows about these strangers, doesn't he, Sire?" He spoke in a low voice, only the Ithiliens and Dax close enough to hear. "And so do you."

Valius nodded, "Keep it close, Sir Claudius. But spread word among the rangers that we may have to fight soon and hurry back to Ithilien with all haste even sooner, if we're lucky."

The doors to the council chambers closed behind them. To Valius' surprise, Enna was waiting for them. She glided over and gave him a measuring look that was a bit cold before curtseying, "Sire, may it please you, but Lady Bryn requests your presence in her chambers at your earliest convenience."

Valius blinked and then looked a bit shame faced. Bryn wanted to see him? He wouldn't have thought that. Not after...but maybe..."Of course, Countess. Please tell her I'll be on my way at once."

"Good," she murmured before speaking in a louder voice, "Yes, Sire."

She turned to leave but Valius stopped her, "Countess, once you've done so, please find Lord Magnus and inform him that you and I will be meeting with King Aldor again tonight after dinner to conclude negotiations."

Even Enna's careful control lapsed a moment, "To what? I mean, Yes, Sire. Right away." What did that mean? And why did she think it wasn't good?


Enna knocked firmly and then poked her head into Bryn's room, "He's on his way," she called out. Then she saw what her new friend was wearing. "Oh, my. My, that's quite a dress." She grinned impudently, "You know more about men than you let on, dear. He'll be putty in your hands. Well, hard wood more likely."

Her laugh was earthy and happy, "He'll be here any minute, I'll give you some privacy but I'm a messenger away if you need me."

Ten minutes or so later, there was another knock on her door. "My Lady..." Valius paused, not knowing how exactly to begin. He'd gone to the stables before coming here, retrieving the gifts that had been cast aside in their quarrel. "Bryn, it's Valius. May I come in? I...there's much to say to you, and an apology first of all, perhaps. But I'd like to do so without the door between us."
 
Back
Top