Question about Story Comments

Joined
Nov 8, 2014
Posts
2
At what point should I start getting worried about the commentors on my (first) story bickering with each other? Should I ignore it? Start deleting?
Thanks in advance.
 
At what point should I start getting worried about the commentors on my (first) story bickering with each other? Should I ignore it? Start deleting?
Thanks in advance.
Comments are often the most entertaining part of the story. I recommend that you NOT delete comments. I've received many attacks. I deleted one comment but later wished I hadn't. I wear attacks AND praise AND bickering as badges of achievement, showing that I've reached and affected readers.

IMHO it's a matter of knowing your goals here. Do you want to be liked? Write pablum in non-challenging categories. Want lots of readers? Write Incest. Want lots of comments and interplay? Write Loving Wives. Don't care? Write anything.
 
God I hate this viewpoint. I write Incest because I READ Incest (Correction: Good Incest) and it turns me on. I can't imagine writing anything I don't have a personal fetish for.

Yes, Incest will get you high readers and voters, and it's very easy to get a Hot there than in most categories. But there's also a built-in ceiling for most entries. To get any higher, you have to mean it.


Want lots of readers? Write Incest. .
 
There are no rules--or even general practice--to this. Take charge for yourself and do what you wish. The Web site gives you several options on how to approach comments. Leave them or erase them or jump into the argument as you wish--and then adjust as needed on how it worked out to your satisfaction. Don't let others tell you what you have to/should do on this issue.
 
At what point should I start getting worried about the commentors on my (first) story bickering with each other? Should I ignore it? Start deleting?
Thanks in advance.

I'd probably just let them have their way. Wouldn't delete them unless you want to draw the ire of the people commenting. If it annoys you then just turn off comments.
 
Comments are often the most entertaining part of the story . . .

IMHO it's a matter of knowing your goals here. Do you want to be liked? Write pablum in non-challenging categories. Want lots of readers? Write Incest. Want lots of comments and interplay? Write Loving Wives. Don't care? Write anything.

Sound advice.
 
Don't care? Write anything.

Bingo. I post my stories here to entertain any who might appreciate them. The rest can go hang. I don't write for some stranger's idea of what I should have written or how they think I could have written it better or more to their liking.
 
At what point should I start getting worried about the commentors on my (first) story bickering with each other? Should I ignore it? Start deleting?
Thanks in advance.

Let them bicker. They are presumably adults and can handle it and I've never been too concerned with complete strangers arguing on the internet. As sr71 said, you can control your comments. So if you want to, use the control you have.
 
It's a matter of personal taste. What is your threshold? You control the space following your story. For me, I delete anything that isn't story related. If the argument is about the story, I leave it. If it is just part of a larger on-going feud, then I delete it. Take it somewhere else.
 
Although it's sometimes hard not to, I don't think I have deleted any comments from any of my stories (so far). Even in the short time I have been writing and submitting I've come to realize that the comments. . . . particularly the mean spirited, disjointed, incoherent ones say more about the commenter and their thinking process than I could.
 
Personally I delete any comment containing negative personal comments aimed at any person or group, or any comment that is not about the story. I leave any comment that is related to the story no matter if positive or negative.
 
At what point should I start getting worried about the commentors on my (first) story bickering with each other? Should I ignore it? Start deleting?
Thanks in advance.

Something to consider here.

There is a feedback portal on the site and a lot of readers go there to read recent comments to help find a story they might like.

Every time a comment is made on your story it has a brief window of being "recent" and giving your story some exposure.

when these clowns argue it creates a lot of comments, a lot of time in the light on the portal and even negative comments have been known to draw readers

Plus if its an ongoing argument people might think "Hmmm, what's got everyone so upset?" and people will come see for themselves.

So I don't consider it a bad thing
 
God I hate this viewpoint. I write Incest because I READ Incest (Correction: Good Incest) and it turns me on. I can't imagine writing anything I don't have a personal fetish for.

Yes, Incest will get you high readers and voters, and it's very easy to get a Hot there than in most categories. But there's also a built-in ceiling for most entries. To get any higher, you have to mean it.

I write incest-my style of it anyway-because aside from fantasy based categories like sci fi non human and horror which inherently deal with other realities and suspend belief- incest is the hardest category to try to "justify" and try to reach some form of plausibility so I find it a challenge.

I've found a good audience for my style, but there are just as big if not bigger crowds for "mom's hot why not?"
 
I don't think the feedback lists include anonymous comments, so they don't really do anything there.
 
I don't think I'd mind bickering commenters if it meant I get some comments!! I wish I had your problem ;)

I don't delete anything, I've never had to

--Penny
(Sharkandpen)
 
I don't think the feedback lists include anonymous comments, so they don't really do anything there.

I just checked the GM category hub, and out of the latest 15 comments posted there, eight of them were from "anonymous"...so your "expert assumption" would be incorrect.
 
Thanks for the input

Being new to this side of Literotica as been neat. I thought about posting that I masturbate to anonymous trolling comments. But I don't think that would solve the problem.
 
I just checked the GM category hub, and out of the latest 15 comments posted there, eight of them were from "anonymous"...so your "expert assumption" would be incorrect.

Upon recheck, I see that that is right. I offered it as an "I think" rather than an "expert assumption," though, didn't I? You have such a hard on for me JK, that I think you're just going to bust your little green pants. :rolleyes:
 
I would leave them. Unless... and this is your story after all, they are making personal attacks on you, in a way that you can't accept.

I have a very simple rule. You can say what you like about my writing, I will probably agree with you 90% of the time, but i will not be cussed at in my own comments section.

Nope. Call me a hack-writer to your hearts content. Call me ignorant, call me stupid I don't care.

Say something you wouldn't be willing to say to my face. I still don't care. You read the story and I got enough of an emotional response from you that you left a comment.

Cuss me? Your comment is gone just as soon as I see it. Because I would get a bit pissed every time I saw that comment, even years later, and I'm not going to give that power to someone leaving a comment ANON.

Make your own rule and stick to it. Their your comments after all. You will be the one to see them on your story.

MST
 
You have such a hard on for me JK, that I think you're just going to bust your little green pants. :rolleyes:

Buwahahaha!!!

Oh yeah, pilot...I am soooo jealous of you. Just like every other author on the site is. :rolleyes:

My real problem is though, I just can't decide if my unhealthy jealousy is caused by your mediocre scores and scant smattering of red H's...or due to wanting to match your low story-view stats...or achieving the same type of success such as your complete inability (even with 550+ submissions in GM) to be able to get into the All Time HOF rankings for the category, nor even rank in the top 200 for the year even though you squirt out your mass-produced "Pulitzer candidates" at the rate of three to five or six or seven a month...or perhaps my fixation at wanting to be like you comes from watching your constant flooding of nearly every contest (official and 'just for fun' ones both!) and still - even after more than eight years here on Lit, and 700+ stories across every category - imitating Diogenes and STILL searching with your lamp for that first honest blue "W" to appear on your submissions listings page.

Your sole claim to actual 'recognized fame' here is being "The most prolific GM author" and having pounded the 'submit' button enough times to finally collect a sufficient number of fav's to make it on to the "Top 250 Most Fav'd Authors" rankings...even though there are other GM authors with a much higher number of fav's above you on that list, and accomplished that with less than ten percent of the bloated submissions file you have.

But don't let me poke a hole in that big hot air balloon of yours and just keep believing that I too, want to be 'The Gay Male Walmart of Literotica.' Keep tossing those "You're just green with envy," lines because that points out to everyone in the forum how they need to check off #11 on the following list...if they haven't already. (someone out there must be close to a 'coverall' in this game of bingo! :D )

1544350_782942858384888_2966482896531601799_n.jpg


And now, as you so gentlemanly and professionally posted to me recently: GO FUCK YOURSELF!


.
 
In fairness let me add this: Textbook diagnoses always fail to stress how disabling symptoms must be to warrant the label.

Take attention deficit- hyperactivity disorder. It IS NOT fidgeting or remaining awake at nap time or not following directions, that is, it aint the stuff that makes teachers nutty. IT IS action that's 911 dangerous with a perilous oblivion to risk and harm to others. I had a client who climbed out the bus window, threw paperweights at people, and put his cat in the dryer. He was in prison last I heard.

Pilots simply fucked up.
 
At what point should I start getting worried about the commentors on my (first) story bickering with each other? Should I ignore it? Start deleting?
Thanks in advance.

I'd say it rather depends on the bickering. I can only tell you what I do. If the bickering is about the story I leave it. If one poster is deliberately is deliberately trying to start a flame war on my comments page then I write to them (if that's possible) and ask them to stop.

I've only had to do this once I got a hail of abuse and another inflamatory comment. I wrote to her again saying that if she continued I would delete all her comments and any comment which referred to them. Another hail of abuse, another inflamatory comment. Ten minutes after her comment all traces of her were gone from my comments page. Problem solved.

It's sad that you should have this on your first story.
 
Back
Top