Pictures of Cold Places

Cold2.jpg

we have a winner!

Ohh, fuck. Didja ever see video of those fuckin' lunatics in the Whitbread/Volvo Ocean Race down in the southern ocean (the Roaring Forties and below) doing 20 knots flying spinnakers and dodging bergy bits?

Genuine insanity.

Ohh, fuck. Didja ever see video of those fuckin' lunatics in the Whitbread/Volvo Ocean Race down in the southern ocean (the Roaring Forties and below) doing 20 knots flying spinnakers and dodging bergy bits?

Genuine insanity.

When you're planning on a long downwind sleighride, after the chute is hoisted, you send a man aloft and shackle the head to the mast and relieve the stress on the halyard. That way, no halyard wear and tear and potential surprise breakage. Gotta be prepared to take that damn shackle off if the weather looks like it will turn.

I saw Thor today. A guy in a car with Alaska plates passed me today, I figure it must have been him.

I saw Thor today. A guy in a car with Alaska plates passed me today, I figure it must have been him.

It could have been me. Guy with a beard? Driving a 60 series? 2x4 canoe rack?

When you're planning on a long downwind sleighride, after the chute is hoisted, you send a man aloft and shackle the head to the mast and relieve the stress on the halyard. That way, no halyard wear and tear and potential surprise breakage. Gotta be prepared to take that damn shackle off if the weather looks like it will turn.

I've harbored suspicions about you. This confirms them.

You and I will not be sailing together in the Roaring Forties.

Coming back from Africa in 1986, we hit a mother of a storm and got blown down to 57South in the Indian Ocean.
Wildest fucking weather ever!
The roller-reefing failed on the mainsail, and the yacht literally lay flat on the water. Dad went out and touched the point of the knife to it, and it EXPLODED into ribbons.
We shipped about 8tons of water and had stress fractures in 1/4 inch steel deckplate :eek:
Four days we had no choice but to run before the weather, and even with two drogues and bare poles, we were doing 6 knots!

Coming back from Africa in 1986, we hit a mother of a storm and got blown down to 57South in the Indian Ocean.
Wildest fucking weather ever!
The roller-reefing failed on the mainsail, and the yacht literally lay flat on the water. Dad went out and touched the point of the knife to it, and it EXPLODED into ribbons.
We shipped about 8tons of water and had stress fractures in 1/4 inch steel deckplate :eek:
Four days we had no choice but to run before the weather, and even with two drogues and bare poles, we were doing 6 knots!

Yikes. I'm not a fan of roller reefing for mains'ls. To my way of thinking, it's an accident waiting to happen.

There is an old and simple rule which I follow religiously:

Gentlemen don't sail to windward.

It is my avowed intention to get through life without ever having ANY sea stories.

Last edited:

Some friends rented a Santa Cruz 70 and sailed her to Hawaii from CA like that.

Yikes. I'm not a fan of roller reefing for mains'ls. To my way of thinking, it's an accident waiting to happen.

There is an old and simple rule which I follow religiously:

Gentlemen don't sail to windward.

It is my avowed intention to get through life without ever having ANY sea stories.

Why would you not want sea stories?
That's what makes life interesting!

Back