Chaos in traffic...

SweetMaj

Teasing Girl
Traffic is chaotic in Copenhagen right now because of the
Eurovision Song Contest. :eek:

I liked the event better in the old days where it actually was about the
songs, and not a fashion-light show.

Of course I'll take a peek tonight (on TV).
(But I might fall asleep.)

What's your opinion of the event?

I want them to send more famous people! I loved it when France send Patricia Kaas and Germany sent Cascada. Finally my country is taking it more seriously too. This year and last year we sent some of our top singers and we're finally making it in the top ten (normally we didn't even make it to finals).

seems there has to be a tranny in the competition these days. not that I haveanything against trannies.

I want them to send more famous people! I loved it when France send Patricia Kaas and Germany sent Cascada. Finally my country is taking it more seriously too. This year and last year we sent some of our top singers and we're finally making it in the top ten (normally we didn't even make it to finals).

Good luck tonight, Twink. :)

When we were living in Cyprus, it was one of the only musical variety shows on TV, so we looked forward to it (also to some of the dreadful songs some of these countries could come out with).

In the up coming European elections I'd vote for anyone who promises to take us out of Eurovision.

The only way to make it a real song contest would be to take it off the TV and put it on the radio. That way it wouldn't be about light shows, costumes and sexy dancers. Of course it wouldn't stop Greece voting for Cyprus and vice versa or all the eastern Bloc countries voting for each other.

No matter how badly Britain does we never have to go into the qualifying heats. Why? Because we pay 70% of the cost of running Eurovision and no one wants to kill that cash cow by making Brits switch off in their millions because there is no British entry.

I know I'm just an old cynic.

My Daughter used to love it.
Mind you, that was when Terry Wogan took the mickey out of it in no uncertain way.

To my mind there's too much razzamatazz.
I think I'll have a look through my films this evening; hang on though, I think they're showing Battle of Britain tonight; a truly great film, that.

PS. I saw some of it. An impressive centre for a show, I thought.
Sweden sound good.
What was the thing the Maltese bloke was fiddling with ?

And lastly; who won ?

Last edited:
Austria won. Bleh. I couldn't give a toss about the fact that its a guy in a dress, the song was shit, even by Eurovision standards, like a really bad Bond song.

Kind of felt bad for the girls from Russia, it sounded like the crowd would've happily strung them up, 'cause obviously 2 17-year-olds are responsible for their country's aggression.

That's as I remember the Eurovision contests in the 80s and 90s. The winners didn't seem to make much sense.

In the up coming European elections I'd vote for anyone who promises to take us out of Eurovision.

The only way to make it a real song contest would be to take it off the TV and put it on the radio. That way it wouldn't be about light shows, costumes and sexy dancers. Of course it wouldn't stop Greece voting for Cyprus and vice versa or all the eastern Bloc countries voting for each other.

But the show is half the fun! Even when the songs are forgettable, at least you can count on a giant prop or bizarre costume change or something to liven it up.

Occasionally Euro turns up a good song, but that's not really what it's for.

I have no idea what that is, but we saw Volbeat in concert last week. They're from Denmark. :D

I saw most of the event and my favorite was Sweden.
(I loved her voice and the way she used it!!!)

Now the streets are filled with people trying to find their way home.
(Drunk or not through showers of rain.) :eek:

Fortunately I'm dry and indoors. :cool:
(And off to bed in a minute.)

Good night. :)

I have no idea what that is, but we saw Volbeat in concert last week. They're from Denmark. :D

Imagine, for a moment, a time when it would be technically difficult to link, by radio, all the states in the US. You'd also have to accept that each state is a completely different entity. (As a comparison, place it at a time following the Civil War). All the individual broadcast networks form a cooperative union, agreeing technical standards, etc..
Now bring a tolerably reliable radio network and, striving for universal peace, have a music competition.

That's the Eurovision Song Contest.
Naturally, it's now full of glitz & glamour, but also "politics" [we'll vote for you if you vote for us ].

It always seemed as if the audience were completely mad enthusiasts.
I don't know about other commentators, but we in UK have a tradition of humour and, amid some truly ghastly songs some seriously funny remarks.

I don't know about other commentators, but we in UK have a tradition of humour and, amid some truly ghastly songs some seriously funny remarks.

I'm reliably informed that the Dutch commentators take it all seriously, they certainly sound fairly dreary. That's why I pay extra to get BBC3 added to my TV package for May, then I can watch the qualifying rounds where all the decent/properly mad acts get axed. I'm convinced that it's because the UK doesn't have to worry about qualifying that it sends something awful every year.

I'm reliably informed that the Dutch commentators take it all seriously, they certainly sound fairly dreary. That's why I pay extra to get BBC3 added to my TV package for May, then I can watch the qualifying rounds where all the decent/properly mad acts get axed. I'm convinced that it's because the UK doesn't have to worry about qualifying that it sends something awful every year.

Sorry to tell you this but BBC3 will become an "online only" station in the near future. A Cypriot friend of mine treats it very seriously. It is a chance to show their solidarity with Greece. He is devastated when Cyprus doesn't make the final.

The Eurovision Song Contest is one of the few things in life that makes me want to die.

Another bloody drag act.
In the name of the living God, don't these idiots think it's supposed to be about songs ?

Another bloody drag act.
In the name of the living God, don't these idiots think it's supposed to be about songs ?

Instead of transmitting the event on TV, the event should only be sent
on the radio live.

In my opinion most of the idiots your're talking about are tone-deaf.
(And without offending anyone, so are most of the contestants.)

Instead of transmitting the event on TV, the event should only be sent
on the radio live.

In my opinion most of the idiots your're talking about are tone-deaf.
(And without offending anyone, so are most of the contestants.)

Agreed.
And many will now be sunk without trace [hopefully]

Amen to that.

:D

Terry Wogan's comments.

"The highlight for me was a comment from Graham Norton. He said `There is no Turkey in tonight's competition.' Were we really watching the same show?"

"I loved the fact that the French showed their annoyance that the event was all in English, by having the lady presenting their results go into a five minute monologue in French."

(in previous years every announcement was delivered in French and English. This year, to save time, French was dropped.)

I read in the paper that an Austrian bearded tranny won. Is this a song contest anymore?

Back