Let's Be Cops

Desiremakesmeweak

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Posts
2,060
Yep. Loved it.

It's funny, well-cast, lot's of funny scenes, actors with decent comic timing - and I think everyone in it must have realised early on in making it that the whole thing 'was working.' Because you could see they were getting into it, really having fun, and acting with some confidence towards the end.

Hollywood has not quite yet totally forgotten that to make comedy, you need to employ good comedy actors. And comedy writers.

Whereas, I think Hollywood HAS totally forgotten that without good drama writers, you are never gonna make a good drama.

Most of the drama coming out these days is trite, simpering, almost cartoon-ish gibberish in many ways.
 
Most of what comes out of Hollywood today is remakes of what came out of Hollywood decades ago or comic book drivel made into comic book drive on the big screen.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the comic book drivel on the big screen, never could get my head around it when it was in a comic book though.

But, I'm tired of seen the umpteenth remake of Godzilla and have it proclaimed the best of the best by children.

And how many times do we have to see Superman remade before they stop and go find something original to produce? The same goes for Batman.
 
That's why I watch anime. It's the only contemporary visual medium that offers reasonably consistent creativity.

I can understand Hollywood's conservatism though. When a movie costs in the hundreds of millions and a single flop can kill a studio, you're not likely to take too many chances...
 
That's why I watch anime. It's the only contemporary visual medium that offers reasonably consistent creativity.

I can understand Hollywood's conservatism though. When a movie costs in the hundreds of millions and a single flop can kill a studio, you're not likely to take too many chances...

I suspect it has more to do with the little "active groups" that apparently dwell all over the USA; you know, the ones like Westboro' with extremest views and the knowledge of how to make a public fuss.
Hollywood does not like to make a movie that's gonna 'rock the boat';
the fact that the said movie comes out as being a trite and boring mess is neither here nor there.

There tends to be a slightly hollow laugh over here when someone mentions a "Hollywood Blockbuster". :)
 
I also used to suppose that it was a sensible conservatism that forced what initially appears like formulaic movies.

If conservatism means trying very hard not to look like you are addicted to cocaine then yes.

Or that you are not a lazy-minded jackass with too much access to other's people's legacies of equipment, studio infrastructure, even tax-planned bank money.

Most cinema complexes throughout the world are losing money and booking falsely-valued capital in their annual accounts.

'Blockbuster' simply means that the studio major distributer forced the cinema outlets to contract for a percentage of presales without any knowledge of what the movie was about or what standard or quality it was. Over the course of any given year, the net real sales difference is made up by the, usually independent, unsung, barely-studio backed, or the sudden fashionable new thing that nobody predicted beforehand. Or the thing that was backed by a heavyweight commercial sponsor secretly promoting a product; rare, but it does happen.

And there certainly is also an element of fear about what Hollywood will and will not 'say' in a movie.

It is not a fact that 'Hollywood' is making money from releases in Western cinemas - I give it ten years at the outside in its present form.
 
Back
Top