Pure Moonlight (closed)

"Oh, she causes plenty of trouble, at least for my mind and my heart. I'm worried she'll never have the courage to live a full life. She's afraid that something terrible will happen to her if she's gone from my or her mother's side too long. The news of hunters has her practically shaking with fear. I've never understood why she and Norr are so different... but where Norr worries me about all the risks he takes, I worry that Arin never takes enough."
 
"She's still young. She'll find her way sooner or later." Selena assured him softly as he told her his concern about Arin. "Talk to Taqu'un. Perhaps he knows of a place that's safe for her to work and be on her own for a while each day. It'll be good for you and Katina too."
 
"Well, Katina does always seem to mention we never have alone time together anymore," Ghell nodded with a smile before they headed outside. Everyone ate with only light conversation, but Ruben and Telma didn't say much, often glancing at one another worriedly. She knew he'd likely be called for warrior duty as he was one of the most able reserves, and he knew he might break her heart by getting into danger.
 
Telma needed so badly to talk to Ruben in private about what was happening. As their families ate, there was little time to be alone, however. With the new curfew in effect she knew that they wouldn't get that chance any time soon. Her belly was in knots and her heart ached so fiercely.

"I'm going to get a drink." She said softly, excusing herself into Selena's home to get a mug of hot tea.

"Ruben, go help her." Selena said softly, looking at her son but saying nothing further.
 
Ruben knew right then that his mother had figured it out, but he didn't say a word, rising quickly to go after Telma. He closed the door behind him and stepped into the kitchen, pausing in the archway. "Telma," he murmured, stepping up behind her to wrap his arms about her waist.
 
Telma folded her ears back as he wrapped his arms around her waist and held her tightly. She couldn't help the tears that came as he sought to comfort her. The thought of Ruben out there defending the city terrified her.

"You can't go." She whispered softly. "I don't want to lose you."
 
"I have to go if they call for me..." he murmured in return. "I have to protect my people. If nothing else, I have to protect you." He turned her round to face him, letting his hands rest on her arms. "I swore an oath, like all the warriors, that I would fight and defend with my life. I can't go back on that promise, Telma... I'd never forgive myself if I did. I took that oath to protect our families, and now I keep it for you if no one else."
 
"What if you died?" She asked him softly, looking at him with tears in her soft amber eyes. "I don't want to be one of those wolves that loses their mate and falls into madness."

There were a handful of wolves like that in their tribe, those that had lost their mates and were unable to cope. Her mother had been lucky that she had found Ghell, but the threat of that happening was very real.

"And I haven't marked you yet. We might never get that chance." She wore his mark proudly, even if it was still a secret and she had been the one to pull back when he had suggested she do the same for him. "What if we missed that chance?"
 
"We won't miss that chance," he told her with absolute confidence. "If I'm called... We'll stay the night before I go, together in my home. To hell with the consequences." He kissed her cheek and hugged her close. "And if I do fall... I know you can make it. You have to, for your own sake as much as mine. I want you to be happy."
 
"I'm happy with you." She murmured softly, her cheek pressed against his warm chest as he held her tightly. "You're the only wolf I've ever wanted, Ruben."

"I love you so much." She whispered softly, for his ears only as her sorrow finally started to lift and she started to feel better.
 
"I love you too, Telma," he murmured, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "I promise I'll do everything I can to come back to you if I have to go, but I won't shrink from this. It's as much to keep you safe as everyone else."
 
Telma nodded at his promise, misery still etched on her features as they finally left the kitchen and she saw back down in her spot with her mug of tea. Nothing was said about the pair as Ghell had mentioned to Selena that it was best that they tell her about the situation themselves. She wasn't upset, but a little disappointed that Ruben had kept this information from his family for so long.
 
The first week of curfews and rules were fairly peaceful, but soon news reached the village of four Wolf children going missing from their home in Inverness, one parent dead and the other horribly beaten and now mentally destroyed by her loss. Hunters tended not to kill children, preferring to take them away to be sold into slavery as the young and strong and malleable were worth the most behind powerful teenaged males. The warriors became much more strict, even arresting repeat curfew-breakers for their own safety. It wasn't long before all the career warriors were stationed outside the walls and the reserve filled in inside, including Norr and Ruben. Kreston was called upon to help the Captain plan defenses and possible strategies, but was not asked to take up any other duties as if family needed him.
 
Watching Ruben from a distance was painful for Telma. She missed his hugs, his reassurance that things would be good, and his support. She struggled without him around and it showed in the way that her work suffered. The weavers had told her to take time off until she sorted things out for herself. That left her at home with her sister and mother, miserable.

"What's wrong, Telma?" Arin asked her one day while she was tending to the garden for their Ma. "You look like someone ripped your heart out."

"Maybe they did." Telma said in a miserable voice, feeling bad as her sister shrank back at her harsh words. "I'm sorry, Arin. I didn't mean it like that."
 
Katina looked over at her elder daughter and sighed softly to herself, having been sitting aside mending a vest for Norr. She rose, coming to Telma's side and pressing a kiss to her cheek. She knew the pain of being separated from the one she loved, knowing her was in danger. Her first mate had been a warrior. "Telma..." she murmured. "I want you to do me a favor." She motioned for her daughter to follow her inside.
 
Telma let out a sigh as she stood and followed her mother inside their home. "What, Ma? Do you need me to do into town?"

She didn't feel much like going into town, especially if there was a chance of seeing Ruben. Without being able to talk to him, it would only make her hurt worse.
 
"Yes. I'd like you to take something to the Captain." Katina quietly went to put a small jar of homemade wine and a loaf of sweet bread into a wicker basket. She also wrote a small note and tucked it into the basket before tucking a towel around it to keep the jar from moving around and breaking.
 
"Yes, Ma." Telma said softly as she took the wicker basket and headed out into town.

As she passed by the garden, she saw Arin watching her closely and with a weary look in her eyes. Arin had no idea what was going on with her sister and she was too timid to ask her parents. She had been close to Telma, but recently it felt like they were drifting apart. There wasn't much that she could do about it, either.

Telma hurried into town, staring at the ground in front of her. She had never felt this anxious and irritable before. If this was what being in love was all about, she wasn't sure that she liked it one bit.
 
When she reached the Captain's temporary post at his large hide tent in the square, a warrior let her through to see the great brown Wolf. Taqu'un had hand-chosen him from among the strongest warriors in their prime. His name was Argen Fiell, and he was a fairly mysterious figure to the rest of the tribe as he kept to himself and was from a far-off Norwegian tribe. He'd come to Scotland to make his own life and he seemed to be doing well despite not having family or a mate.

Argen looked up at Telma entered, his calculating amber gaze softening at the sight of her. Ghell was one of his few friends so he'd watched Telma grow up even though they were little more than acquaintances. "Miss Numeor," he spoke quietly, stepping away from his map of the Gol Run lands.
 
"Captain Fiell." Telma said, regarding the man who was practically her uncle. "My Ma asked me to bring you this basket. She left a note in there for you."
 
"Oh?" He stepped forward, opening up the basket to look at the note. He read over it silently, a soft smile coming to his face. He glanced to Telma before going to the front of his tent, barking out, "Maliar!" Soon, Ruben came into view from around a corner, spear in hand. He approached the tent and Argen took his spear. The moment Ruben caught Telma's gaze, obviously surprised to see her, Argen smiled. "Take a walk, Ruben. You're off for the day." He motioned the both of them out.
 
Telma was stunned when the captain read the note inside the basket and called Ruben into the tent. She was unprepared as the basket as left in her hands, the captain taking his spear and telling him to take off for the day. Telma felt her heart sore as she looked towards Ruben. It didn't take her long before her hand was in his, uncaring of who saw them together.
 
Ruben let go of all his cares and worries the moment Telma took his hand, and he quietly walked away from the Captain's tent with her toward his own quiet little home. They were free to spend the day and the night together as Selena wouldn't expect Ruben home til the next morning when his long patrol shift ended. And of course Katina had purposefully sent Telma and asked Argen to give them time together, so she and Ghell certainly wouldn't object.
 
The moment felt like a dream as she and Ruben walked hand in hand out of town towards his little house. She couldn't say anything as she kept glancing up at her dark furred wolf, tears brimming in her amber eyes. She had missed him terribly and being with him now was like a balm on her torn heart and soul.

"My Ma's a saint for doing this." Telma said softly as she finally found the strength to talk. "Because I would have fallen apart if I didn't get to see you soon."
 
Once they were away from the main part of the village, Ruben wrapped Telma up in his arms just as she finished speaking. "Remind me to thank her," he murmured. Ruben was an incredibly self sufficient and independent sort of Wolf, but Telma was one of the few people he just couldn't go for long periods without seeing.
 
Back
Top