Pure Moonlight (closed)

heartofcourage

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Posts
37,018
The sound of a wolf’s howl interrupted her dreams. Selena opened her eyes, staring at the fire for a long moment as it crackled and popped merrily in the hearth. She held her breath, listening for the low lonesome cry again. She hadn’t heard that howl in ages, since well before Rueben was born. When it sounded again just outside the wooden walls of her home, she was quickly up and out of bed.

She exited her little room, peeking her head into the larger room down the hall where Rueben slept. The little boy was peacefully asleep beneath the thick covers of his bed. Wooden toys were strewn about the room, but his chess set was placed with care on a little table. He treasured the item that his aunt had helped him to make above all others. She smiled and gently closed the door as another howl sounded outside.

Wrapping her robe tightly around her body, she hurried into the front room and sucked in a deep breath as she slowly unbolted the door. She let the wooden portal stay shut for a moment longer, her forehead pressed against it as she thought about what opening it would mean. Maybe this would change everything, she thought. Maybe it wouldn’t change a thing. Whatever the outcome, she had to know.

With a deep breath sucked in, Selena pulled the door open, looking out into the harsh winter night for the source of the howling cries…
 
A deep, lonely howl sounded over Loch Lomond valley just as the door swung open, and suddenly from the darkness, a black figure approached slowly on two legs with a deerskin hanging down from his waist. When the light finally caught his face, Selena was with met those familiar, lovely amber eyes she hadn't seen in far too long, almost a decade.

He came to the arch of the doorway, his eyes never leaving her own as his footpaws moved silently through the snow and he carried a stone spear at his side. About his neck still hung the silver locket she'd given him so long ago. Kreston was finally back.
 
“Kres?” She murmured softly, looking up at him as he stood in the arch of the doorway. “Is it really you?”

Selena had always fancied herself a strong person, able to fend for herself and take care of her child on her own, but it was always in the presence of Kreston that she always seemed to lose a little bit of herself. She could still remember their nights of passion together nearly a decade ago, the same ones that had resulted in little Rueben. That was the picture he carried in that locket, the portrait of a little boy that he had never known.

Suddenly Selena’s dark eyes darkened further and she placed her hands on her hips, blocking his entrance into the house. “You have some nerve coming back here after all this time, Kreston. We’ve been doing just fine without you all this time.”
 
The great black werewolf came to a halt before her, and even though she was rather tall for a woman, he was taller than even her eldest brother. Kreston was athletic as most of his kind were, but Kreston was broad-shouldered and his neck was wide beneath his thick fur. He spoke in English, but with the odd accent of the native werewolves of the forest that sounded like a mix of accents both familiar and foreign.

"... I did not stay away by my own choice, Selena," he muttered, his amber eyes still unmoving from her own. Those eyes had always been able to pierce to her soul. Everything about him had always been a wonderful enigma, so tuned into nature and the natural order, more than a human could ever hope to be. That was one of the many reasons he'd enchanted her after she came across him in the forest ten years prior, finding him caught in a beartrap and unable to figure out how to open the unnatural thing.
 
Last edited:
“That’s not good enough for me, Kreston.” Selena said, her voice strong even as her heartbeat picked up a notch as he stared down at her with those piercing eyes. “You can’t just waltz in and out of our lives. Ruben has grown up just fine without you.”

She had always been a blunt person, to the point and unafraid to say what was on her mind. Still, telling Kreston that they didn’t need him hurt her to the very core. She had fallen in love with the beast, had taken him to her bed, had bore his son, and yet he still stayed away from them for long stretches at a time. Little Ruben had never really known his father except for fleeting meetings that had never amounted to any real bond.

"I've done just fine without you as well." She said, crossing her arms over her chest as she tried to be so much stronger than she really felt.
 
"I've tried to come back, more tries than I can count," he continued quietly. "The hunters are getting closer to my people everyday. Just yesterday, they nearly captured a friend of mine. I thought it was impossible to slip by them until tonight." Despite how she seemed to be trying to distance herself from him, Kreston couldn't help a primal urge.

He propped his spear against the outer wall of the house and drew Selena in, kissing her before she could react. It was that kiss she'd so missed, the one that seemed to reach to her soul and set her heart alight.
 
Selena gasped as she was pulled into a strong embrace and kissed like she hadn’t been kissed in ages. Kreston had that way about him, the kind of man that could make her weak at the knees with a single look in her direction. She wanted to be mad at him, but she found herself moaning softly as his lips completely dominated hers. Her fingers clenched tightly in his fur, pulling him closer before she gathered enough sense to push him away.

“Don’t you ever do that again.” Selena growled softly. “I’m warning you, Kres, you may go too far this time. If you want to see your son, you may. But you will never touch me like that again.”
 
"Then why didn't you pull away immediately, Selena...?" He asked softly, but then sighed, "I came hoping that not all was lost, but I can see it was lost a long time ago... Perhaps I shouldn't bother Ruben then."

There was one thing about Kreston that set his kind apart from humans: they didn't lay claim to their families unless their families wanted them. If Selena pushed, Kreston wouldn't struggle back, he'd let himself be pushed away and give her time before coming to try to prove himself without imposing himself upon her. Or their son, for that matter.
 
“Dammit, Kreston.” Selena growled as he asked her why she didn’t pull away immediately. “Because you surprised me!”

It was much more than that and Selena saw the want in his eyes to see his son even as he told her that he wouldn’t bother either of them. She let out a long sigh, her brown eyes closing to center herself as she thought about Ruben. She always had to think about her son and the life that he was leading. He needed his father’s influence on his life and that was becoming incredibly important.

“Wait.” She said softly, her eyes opening to look up into his own. “Ruben is your son and he needs you, Kres. If that means that I have to put up with you then so be it. Just don’t punish him for what I say and do.”

She stepped aside then, allowing him entrance into her home. She knew that Ruben would be over the moon to see his father, a man who he barely knew yet talked about often.
 
"I wouldn't dream of it, my love." The last two words slipped and he knew she probably didn't want to hear them, but he just shook his head at himself and went on. He found his way to Ruben's room with ease, opening the door quietly. Coming to kneel beside the boy's bed, Kreston reached out and laid a hand on his son's cheek. "Ruben," he said softly. Those were two things Ruben had definitely gotten from him: being soft-spoken and having a gentle touch at everything.

The boy opened his eyes slowly and, rubbing away sleep, he sat up. "Dad...?" He asked quietly.

"I'm sorry I woke you," Kreston smiled and pulled Ruben close, still wrapped in his blankets. "I just wanted to see you."

Ruben buried his face and small hands in his father's warm fur. "You can't stay very long this time either, can you...?"

"That depends on whether your mother wants to put up with me," Kreston told him honestly.

Ruben looked at his mother over Kreston's shoulder. "Ma, can Dad stay the night...?"
 
Selena watched the reunion between father and son with an aching lump in her throat. Ruben had been without his father for far too long but she couldn’t just put aside how she felt about Kreston’s absences. Even if she did know that it was dangerous for him out there, she couldn’t get past the fact that he had abandoned the both of them so shortly after Ruben’s birth. Save for the few times that he had visited, mostly around Ruben’s birthdays, Kreston had missed nearly ever milestone in his son’s life. And soon, she knew, Ruben would start to feel the pull of the moonlight too…

Selena shook her head at those thoughts. She wasn’t ready for her precocious little boy to leave her just yet. When she drew herself back to reality, she saw Ruben looking at her, asking if Kreston could stay the night. She wanted to say no, but the way that he looked at her with those pleading dark eyes, she knew that she couldn’t resist.

“I suppose that’s alright.” She said softly, seeing the light in Ruben’s eyes shining brightly.
 
Ruben couldn't help his excitement and he ended up staying up another hour with Kreston, talking with him and showing him his new chess set. But before long, Ruben fell asleep as it was far past his bedtime. Kreston easily picked him up and tucked him back into bed, blowing out the candle before leaving the boy's room to let him sleep.

Kreston closed the door quietly before he turned to look at Selena, as if worried about speaking at all and upsetting her.
 
Selena was sitting by the fire in the front room when she finally heard the door to Ruben’s room close. She knew that Kreston had finally worn their son out and the little boy was probably sleeping very peacefully at the moment. She let out a sigh, staring down at her mug of tea as Kreston moved into the room silently.

“You know…he talks about you all the time.” She said softly, knowing that the safest route of conversation was one involving their son. “He misses you.”

I miss you, she thought, unable to put her own concerns into words. She didn’t want him to know the deep aching void that he had left in her heart.
 
"I've missed him more than I can say," Kreston sighed softly. "I've missed both of you." He came to sit on the floor near the hearth. He'd never liked sitting in chairs, and she'd often cuddled in his lap on winter nights like this when they were together.

"I know it's an awful thing of my to ask... but I just hope you can forgive me one day... I tried to come back almost every day that I possibly could..." He whispered.
 
“Kreston.” She said softly, lifting her gaze to find him sitting on the floor in front of the hearth. “I don’t want to hate you. I know you’ve tried but it’s so hard. Especially now that Ruben is growing up.”

She let out a long sigh and slowly rose from her chair, leaving her mug behind on the table. She slowly made her way towards him, settling down in his lap like she use to and pressing her cheek against his warm shoulder.

“He’s going to leave me soon and I think that’s more than I can bear. He needs to be with you, Kres, especially when those urges start that he won’t understand.” She feared being alone and being without Ruben and she knew that the only way her little boy would survive would be if he were with his father.
 
"Then you can come with us," Kreston encouraged gently as he wrapped his arms around her. "There are humans with my clan, you won't be out of place... and you can stay with Ruben..." He wanted to add 'and me', but he didn't dare. Laying his head against hers, he closed his amber eyes.

"I would love to have you there with us... you've always been a woman for nature and living off the land, and I think the clan would be the perfect family for you."
 
“My family wouldn’t understand, Kres.” She said softly, looking into his amber eyes as he practically pleaded for her to come with him and Ruben. “You know how close I am to them. I couldn’t just leave them without an explanation. We’ve already discussed this.”

Of course they had talked about it. When she was heavily pregnant and he had begged to her come. She had refused in the end and had given birth to Ruben all by herself in that house on the banks of the loch. It was a life of secrecy, one that she didn’t know she could bear. She was in constant contact with her Ma, she adored the letters from her sister-in-laws and brothers.

“I can’t have it both ways, love.”
 
"I'm not saying you have to stay forever and never leave..." Kreston still held onto a shred of hope. "You can leave and visit them any time... you're free as a human to do that." He'd given her this argument back then, too, but it still hadn't worked. If the hunters caught her leaving werewolf territory, they might get suspicious, and her family wouldn't be able to visit her.
 
“I can’t Kres.” She answered simply, sighing at the look in his amber eyes. “Kreston, after all this time, why have you simply not found someone else? Why me?”

Selena didn’t really know the answer to her question. She was sure that there was someone in his pack, a beautiful wolf perhaps, that had caught his fancy in all the time that he had spent thinking about her.
 
"Don't you know that when a wolf finds a mate, he stays with her for life?" Kreston held eye contact with her, his own gaze serene despite pain. "I see the others, and they're beautiful, but I could never be with any of them, the idea alone hurts, giving you up. I love you, I've tried to tell you and show you so many times, but nothing is good enough. There aren't words or actions for it."
 
“I’m not your mate and you know that.” She said in a soft voice, shivering at the tone in his voice when he told her that there was no one out there but her. “Just because we have a child doesn’t mean that we belong to one another.”

Selena had always been a stubborn woman, perhaps more so then any other child in the Ghis family. She got it from her father and that bullheadedness definitely got her into more trouble then she could remember. There were awful spankings when she was a child, long periods of confinement in her room over infractions, but still her stubborn streak remained.

“I mean, that’s not to say I don’t feel something for you, Kres. We had some good times together…” She trailed off, knowing that it was a dangerous thing to give him too much room.
 
"... Is that all I was to you...?" Kreston met her eyes with a clearly broken heart. Still gentle as ever, he moved her from his lap and he rose to his feet. "Good times... forgive me for thinking there was more to us than that... Tell Ruben I'm sorry that I had to go..." He turned, heading for the door with his ears laid back and his head hung low.
 
Selena was stunned when she was suddenly placed aside, Kreston telling her that he had to go and to apologize to Ruben. Her dark gaze watched his hulking figure stand, moving towards the door with his ears pressed back tightly against his head and his entire figure stooping. What had she said, she thought to herself.

“Kreston.” She called, pulling herself to her feet with a long sigh. “Please don’t go. Look, I’m sorry, alright?”

Selena knew that she was about to make an incredible admission to him, but she felt that the time was right for him to know. “I love you. God, I can’t believe I’m even telling you this. I love you so much that it hurts sometimes. I find myself unable to get out of bed some mornings because you’re not there. It wears on a person, Kres. It wears them down until there is nothing left but an aching sorrow.”

“I held out hope that you would come. I held out hope because of our son and I’m not about to let you simply walk out the door right now. Ruben needs his father.” She sucked in a deep breath and placed her hands on her hips, looking down towards the floor. “And I guess I need you more than I can tell you right now.”
 
Kreston turned to look back at her, wondering for a moment if it was some cruel joke. But at her body language and expression, he returned to her and lifted her chin. "I couldn't have said any of that any better for myself..." He took her hand in both his own, and she could see he wanted to kiss her and hold her like he used to, but he wouldn't after she'd warned him never to do so again.
 
“You can’t leave again.” Selena said in an accusing tone, her eyes pleading with him to stay there with them forever. It was a promise that she knew he couldn’t give her, but it was one that she needed to hear from him. “You can’t leave us again. I want Ruben to know you. I want my family to know you. I…want to know you again.”
 
Back
Top