Nova's Closet

hello! hello!! hey! where is everybody??:)
Currently at home, recovering from cheap lasagna and bargain Pra Vinera red, fingerpicking bossa nova riffs on a tenor taropatch 'ukulele, awaiting rainfall to wash dust & smoke from our mountain air, and thinking about rolling over the snowy Sierra crest tomorrow for a zither concert. We don't get many zither shows around here.

That's this week. Soon we'll infest other bits of North America, with or without facial cammo. Beware.

Currently at home, recovering from cheap lasagna and bargain Pra Vinera red, fingerpicking bossa nova riffs on a tenor taropatch 'ukulele, awaiting rainfall to wash dust & smoke from our mountain air, and thinking about rolling over the snowy Sierra crest tomorrow for a zither concert. We don't get many zither shows around here.

That's this week. Soon we'll infest other bits of North America, with or without facial cammo. Beware.

hurry!!

We've planned takeoff for Easter weekend, when we roll up the Sierra foothills to see the kids and grandkids, then proceed to the rest of the continent. Lake Tahoe to Tucson to Austin to N'Orleans to Tallahassee to Savannah to Syracuse to points beyond and back. Local eats along the way. Yum.

We've planned takeoff for Easter weekend, when we roll up the Sierra foothills to see the kids and grandkids, then proceed to the rest of the continent. Lake Tahoe to Tucson to Austin to N'Orleans to Tallahassee to Savannah to Syracuse to points beyond and back. Local eats along the way. Yum.

that is very much a good jog.
go in peace and be safe. and take a boatload of pictures!!:D.
and of the local eat shops. as one may desire to place on's foot on the same path you have paved.
be safe cya :)

Wow! Sounds like an amazing trip. I've only been to one of those place (Lake Tahoe) and would go back in a heartbeat along with all those other amaze places you named! ENJOY!!! :kiss: :heart:

go in peace and be safe. and take a boatload of pictures!!:D.
Alas, my eyes have gone to shit. I can see to drive but not to process photos so my partner will do the lenswork. I'll store fuzzy mental images -- and likely start selling my roomful of photo gear when we return.

Wow! Sounds like an amazing trip. I've only been to one of those place (Lake Tahoe) and would go back in a heartbeat along with all those other amaze places you named!
We live near Tahoe (a regular shopping stop) and were formerly not too far from Tucson, where I've a sister to visit. We've not hit those other cities yet.

And we're less interested in cities than what's in between. Sure, we'll go for historic downtowns, botanic gardens, notorious bookstores, et fucking cetera. But we really want scenic parkways, coastal and canal drives, (un)natural splendors, quaint hamlets, odd roadside attractions and eateries, serendipity, and some retracing of paths not taken for decades.

The tough question: which stringed instruments to take? The small RV hasn't much storage. Haul a cheap mandola, or buy a good one in Albuquerque? (There goes the budget!)

We don't get many zither shows around here.
Are there places that get many of them? That would be the place to visit. :D

Savannah! City of my childhood, and many visits since. Love that place. :heart:

You are certainly going on a trek! Have too much fun. Even more than that when possible. :)

And we're less interested in cities than what's in between. Sure, we'll go for historic downtowns, botanic gardens, notorious bookstores, et fucking cetera. But we really want scenic parkways, coastal and canal drives, (un)natural splendors, quaint hamlets, odd roadside attractions and eateries, serendipity, and some retracing of paths not taken for decades.
Back roads! They are the best! The places, and people, one can experience when turning off the main road. And the things one can do...:cattail:

The tough question: which stringed instruments to take? The small RV hasn't much storage. Haul a cheap mandola, or buy a good one in Albuquerque? (There goes the budget!)
Take the already-in-possession-of mandola. Save the budget for the bookstores, roadside attractions, and et fucking cetera. ;)

Easter ?
I'd almost forgotten that; I must see what local attractions are open for me to take loads of photos.

Easter ?
I'd almost forgotten that; I must see what local attractions are open for me to take loads of photos.

Easter was off my radar as well. Yesterday, someone mentioned and Easter Egg hunt on the agenda. Wha?? I guess I was thinking it had already gone past. It's late this year.

What kind of attractions for the photos??

Back roads! They are the best! The places, and people, one can experience when turning off the main road. And the things one can do...:cattail:
Blue highways, you bet! Even during extreme weather. Beware floods, tornados, fires, etc.

Take the already-in-possession-of mandola. Save the budget for the bookstores, roadside attractions, and et fucking cetera. ;)
Cheap and weird mandos and other axes infest my home. I paid amazingly little for a pro-quality Celtic mandolin from an Albuquerque luthier on our last trip. But mandolins, like violins, are of a standard size, and mandolas and violas ain't. I have a super-cheap long-neck Chinese mandola, and a shorter-neck mand'uke, a tenor taropatch 'uke restrung as a mandola, but quieter. I dream of a custom mid-neck mandola, or maybe a tenor guitar the same size, same tuning. I find that a certain neck length is just right for my hands to play certain music. A thousand bucks to play a tune! Ay yi yi!

Because I can't play APACHE well on grampa's century-old banjo-mandolin.

Blue highways, you bet! Even during extreme weather. Beware floods, tornados, fires, etc.

Cheap and weird mandos and other axes infest my home. I paid amazingly little for a pro-quality Celtic mandolin from an Albuquerque luthier on our last trip. But mandolins, like violins, are of a standard size, and mandolas and violas ain't. I have a super-cheap long-neck Chinese mandola, and a shorter-neck mand'uke, a tenor taropatch 'uke restrung as a mandola, but quieter. I dream of a custom mid-neck mandola, or maybe a tenor guitar the same size, same tuning. I find that a certain neck length is just right for my hands to play certain music. A thousand bucks to play a tune! Ay yi yi!

Anyone recorded that ?

Hypoxia said:
Anyone recorded that ?
Oh, I hope not! Mostly because the octave frets are too narrow for my fingerwork. The results are... gruesome. Doesn't do Jørgen Ingmann's version justice.

Last edited:
Fingerwork is key. :cool:
Fitting fingers into tight spaces with the right 3D pressures at the right microseconds, that's the trick. Yes, it's a four-dimensional task.

I have limited myself. I strum strings in many tunings, which means varied fingerings for similar effects on different axes. Tommy Tedesco was smart. Banjos, 'uds, citterns, lutes, bozoukis, tars, whatever -- all tuned like guitars, all the same. No time-wasting mental translation needed. I should know that.

But I still treat mandos, 'ukes, citterns etc as if they're solo guitars, in mixing notes and chords. Steady bass thumps, singing top notes, fill chords.

He added some cool music swirls to his version. I rather enjoy this live version by Hank Martin as well.
Martin plays a lazy version, omitting Jørgen Ingmann's swirls, not even chording mostly. And he needs six strings to do it. It works better as a solo bit on a four-course mandola or tenor guitar IMHO. But I'm prejudiced and don't have a band or BeatBox to fill in my blank spots.

I strum strings in many tunings, which means varied fingerings for similar effects on different axes. Tommy Tedesco was smart. Banjos, 'uds, citterns, lutes, bozoukis, tars, whatever -- all tuned like guitars, all the same. No time-wasting mental translation needed. I should know that.

But I still treat mandos, 'ukes, citterns etc as if they're solo guitars, in mixing notes and chords. Steady bass thumps, singing top notes, fill chords.

It works better as a solo bit on a four-course mandola or tenor guitar IMHO.
It would seem as if it's a bit more than a HO. Artistically valid opinion, more like it.

It would seem as if it's a bit more than a HO. Artistically valid opinion, more like it.
Thank you. That's my view as a solo player not fronting a group. I see a few noted string-pluckers who hit only lanky single notes over lush backings. Lazy is good if you can get away with it. My fingers pick quick. I try to do it all myself.

I have limited myself. I strum strings in many tunings, which means varied fingerings for similar effects on different axes. Tommy Tedesco was smart. Banjos, 'uds, citterns, lutes, bozoukis, tars, whatever -- all tuned like guitars, all the same.
No time-wasting mental translation needed. I should know that.

You mean, like this:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzzRJTA68YQ
??

The number of strings seems variable. I watched Mandolin being taught, and it had 8 strings in 4 groups {pairs], and the strings were alongside one another.
I once saw [my first] 12-string guitar, similarly laid out.
A recent chat to a mate showed me a 12-string by the strings were in pairs but above one another.

Is this sort-of something by the builder or a musical necessity ?

Yes. And an open tuning is your friend when handling many strings. My 'cittern' is a 12-string fretted cümbüş strung in 5ths instead of the Turkish tuning, a bugger to play like that. And its fat lowest string was hard to find. Open-tuned like a guitar and played with a slide, it is the FUNKIEST banjo you can imagine hearing. Sorry, no samples.

The number of strings seems variable. I watched Mandolin being taught, and it had 8 strings in 4 groups {pairs], and the strings were alongside one another.
I once saw [my first] 12-string guitar, similarly laid out.
A recent chat to a mate showed me a 12-string by the strings were in pairs but above one another.

Is this sort-of something by the builder or a musical necessity ?
Strings paired vertically sounds like a brain fart with bad intonation. More useful is a set of strings to be fretted, with an offset array of sympathetic or harp-like strings for flavor.

Zillions of lute-like objects have been devised over the centuries. Acoustic mandos have paired unison strings for more volume. Mandolins and violins share a standard neck length (scale) and a soprano 'uke is right there with them. Mandolas, bouzoukis, citterns, and other oversized mandos can get tricky, with combos of paired strings in unison or octaves or odd intervals; and guitars are insanely varied.

I've seen 'guitars' with zero to a hundred strings, zero to twelve necks, and all sorts of impossible geometries. Them luthiers sure can go nutz.

Martin plays a lazy version, omitting Jørgen Ingmann's swirls, not even chording mostly. And he needs six strings to do it. It works better as a solo bit on a four-course mandola or tenor guitar IMHO. But I'm prejudiced and don't have a band or BeatBox to fill in my blank spots.

Please forgive the correction, but that "HANK MARVIN" not Martin.

Back