This thread is going to the dogs...

tumblr_mlvbg4pXYE1r2dfpoo1_500.png

Thinking back to my old cocker (Dog #1).

My partner usually makes fruitcake for Christmas, soaked in brandy. One year she made a particularly big one and put it on our table, on a beautiful old glass cake stand.

You have probably already guessed where this story is going, but we didn't have the benefit of hindsight. It was a high table and Dog #1 was pretty arthritic by then, so there was no way he could reach the table top.

We went out to a Marina and the Diamonds gig and came back to find His Majesty in the middle of a god-almighty mess of glass shards and ruined cake all over the floor. He hadn't been able to reach the table top, but he had been able to pull the tablecloth until it fell. As far as we could tell he'd eaten about a kilogram of fruitcake.

It must have just happened, because he was bright and alert when we got home, but half an hour later he was rolling drunk. There's a lot of brandy in my partner's fruitcake. He was badly hungover the next day and we were not at all sympathetic.

(Don't try this at home. Alcohol, sultanas, and glass shards are all bad for dogs, and we were very lucky he got away with nothing worse than a hangover.)

I want to reiterate what Bramblethorn said about alcohol being bad for dogs, because I don't think this is common knowledge and I used to know somebody who would pour alcohol in their dogs water as a 'treat' which was quite aggravating since I'm sure they were taught exactly what I was taught about alcohol in school biology class:

So in human evolution ethanol is like gluten. Humans have developed a biological tolerance to both of those substances because our ape-ish ancestors needed to be able to digest fermenting fruits in their rainforest climate and to safely ingest grains as a plentiful food source. E.g People allergic to gluten are genetic throwbacks to a time when our bodies treated proteins like gluten as a foreign invader and launched potentially deadly immune responses against it.

Dogs, cats and many other animals don't produce the required enzymes to break down ethanol into a safe substance. So @Bramble when your dog seemed hungover I would guess that he was actually suffering from ethanol poisoning and not just a headache, alcohol (ethanol specifically) is a toxic substance to lots of animals like bleach or motor oil is to humans.

Last edited:
It must have just happened, because he was bright and alert when we got home,

and I expect very proud of himself.... :D

A great dog story! My version of this invalid the beagle and a plate full of small ham sandwiches moments before Wife's book club arrived at the house :eek::eek:

I want to reiterate what Bramblethorn said about alcohol being bad for dogs, because I don't think this is common knowledge and I used to know somebody who would pour alcohol in their dogs water as a 'treat' which was quite aggravating since I'm sure they were taught exactly what I was taught about alcohol in school biology class:

So in human evolution ethanol is like gluten. Humans have developed a biological tolerance to both of those substances because our ape-ish ancestors needed to be able to digest fermenting fruits in their rainforest climate and to safely ingest grains as a plentiful food source. E.g People allergic to gluten (nuts too) are genetic throwbacks to a time when our bodies treated proteins like gluten as a foreign invader and launched potentially deadly immune responses against it.

Dogs, cats and almost all other animals don't produce the required enzymes to break down ethanol into a safe substance. So @Bramble when your dog seemed hungover I would guess that he was actually suffering from ethanol poisoning and not just a headache, alcohol (ethanol specifically) is a toxic substance to most animals like bleach or motor oil is to humans.

Did not know this, thanks :rose:

and I expect very proud of himself.... :D

A great dog story! My version of this invalid the beagle and a plate full of small ham sandwiches moments before Wife's book club arrived at the house :eek::eek:

Oh yeah, I have lots of "sneaky dog stole food" stories.

One time he wolfed down an entire block of blue cheese. The aftermath was horrific (not for him, but for us).

Another time we had guests over, and foolishly left some sausages on a low table unobserved. We realised our error when we noticed the dog door was going every minute or so. He could have just eaten all the sausages right where they were and we wouldn't have noticed until too late, but outside was his Eating Things In Private place so he was stealing them one at a time, carrying them out to eat, then coming back in for the next.

edit: good god, how could I have forgotten the time he stole an entire bag of chocolate-covered coffee beans? That was quite a hyperactive dog. Again, chocolate and caffeine both v. bad for dogs, but it's hard to tell the dog that, and he was great at sniffing out undefended food.

Last edited:
So @Bramble when your dog seemed hungover I would guess that he was actually suffering from ethanol poisoning and not just a headache, alcohol (ethanol specifically) is a toxic substance to lots of animals like bleach or motor oil is to humans.

Quite possibly. He recovered after a few hours, but we were certainly on the lookout; if nothing else, we had no idea whether he'd eaten glass along with the cake.

I recently discovered that my cat will never turn down an offer for some delicious tinfoil.
Fortunately I think I've managed to grab it all before she's ever been able to eat any, but it's a strange dietary choice indeed.
She seems partial to crumpled tinfoil rather than a smooth sheet. Maybe it's the texture?

I recently discovered that my cat will never turn down an offer for some delicious tinfoil.
Fortunately I think I've managed to grab it all before she's ever been able to eat any, but it's a strange dietary choice indeed.
She seems partial to crumpled tinfoil rather than a smooth sheet. Maybe it's the texture?

Texture, shinyness, and noise, I'd guess. Anything that rustles is of interest to mine.

Not all that long ago I fish a rubber band out of one of my cats.

And a baby bird out of my beagle....

*sigh*

Back