Seldom-used words - M to A

There are several interesting lag entries, so I will start with these two;

lag vt lagged;lagging(6) [origin unknown] (ca. 1812) - 1. slang chiefly British: to transport or jail for crime 2. slang chiefly British: ARREST

lag(7) - noun (ca. 1811) 1. slang chiefly British a. a person transported for crime b. CONVICT c. an ex-convict 2. slang chiefly British: a jail sentence: STRETCH

The term "old lag" referred to someone who'd spend many periods in prison.
I've not heard it much in use lately. In the 50s & early 60s, it was quite a common word.

Greetings, Lit fans. It's been blazing hot here, so much so the internet didn't want to work. It's night now, so things are working better.

Here's an entry I found intriguing. Can anyone out there explain this a bit further?

Lady of the Lake - noun (15c) VIVIAN

I am aware of the Lady of the Lake in the legend of King Arthur. Is this simply her name?

Greetings, Lit fans. It's been blazing hot here, so much so the internet didn't want to work. It's night now, so things are working better.

Here's an entry I found intriguing. Can anyone out there explain this a bit further?

Lady of the Lake - noun (15c) VIVIAN

I am aware of the Lady of the Lake in the legend of King Arthur. Is this simply her name?
I'm not sure why your dictionary chose only that name from the many names in various versions of Arthurian legends.

From Wikipedia:

Lady of the Lake is the name of the ruler of Avalon in the Arthurian legend. She plays a pivotal role in many stories, including giving King Arthur his sword Excalibur, enchanting Merlin, and raising Lancelot after the death of his father. Different writers and copyists give the Arthurian character the name Nimue, Viviane, Vivien, Elaine, Ninianne, Nivian, Nyneve, or Evienne, among other variations.[1]

Back