The Bride Absconded (closed for EroticLiteracy)

Opensesame54321

Lost in Limbo
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Posts
4,754
Opinionated. Difficult to be with. Too smart for her own good.

Clarissa Fay Fernwood had heard it all. Heavens, she herself knew it to be true. Even as a child she had caused her father trouble. It was not that she wanted to be difficult. It was just that she knew herself to be right. And she knew what she wanted.

Now at 5'6", she had a slender but feminine build. Her hair, blonde and long enough to hit the middle of her back, hung in graceful waves when worn loose, though she had an irritating habit of pulling it back in a roll to keep it out of her face. Blue eyes were set in a face blessed with freckles. Even though she was missing that peaches and cream complexion desired by many young English ladies, she still managed to obtain her fair share of young men interested in her. Some even desired matrimony.

Yet, over and over, as her father had brought a possible suitor or a future husband before her, she would send the young man off with a flea in his ear. Time and time again, the sharp edge of her tongue would quickly cool any ardor the young man might have felt.

"Daughters are meant to marry, to leave their parents and provide their husband with heirs. Why do you not understand that?"

"I understand it, Father. I just refuse to accept it. I need not a man nor a husband to justify my existence. I am perfectly happy with life the way it is. I have my interests. So, leave me be, Father, for I plan on never marrying."

"Daughter, there will come the day when you will have no choice."

And so the argument would go, back and forth while yet another young man would leave, looking for a young lady less likely to give him a hard time.

Not long after her 21st birthday, there came a day when she was no longer given the option of saying yea or nay. Father called her in and introduced her to Lord Rodan Clearwater. She watched warily as the man greeted her, a person comfortable in his own skin. A Lord, no less. She would get rid of him fast enough.

"We have an agreement, Daughter. A fortnight from now you will be married."

"No!" She was adamant.

"There is no discussion, Clarissa. The deal has been made. You have prolonged things long enough."

"And I no longer any choice in the matter?"

"You lost that when you became unreasonable!" Father and daughter fought as if the future bridegroom were not even in the room.

Clarissa glanced at him briefly. He looked fine, but she was not in the market for a husband. Granted, he was seated and as such, she could not be sure of his height, but he appeared large. He possessed jet black hair, and blue eyes. If she had been in the market for a husband, he would have worked just as well as anyone else. She could tell by the raised eyebrow that he was not impressed with her reaction.

"Then you marry the man!" She crossed over to the window, looking out. She wore her riding clothes, not minding that they were dusty and there was a grass stain on one elbow.
 
Last edited:
“Do you know what you’re getting involved with man?!”

Smoke curled above populating the smoke room with its pungent smell. Girls in pretty dresses moved around serving drinks and making sure the gamblers were kept happy and content. A pretty woman walked over to him but he waved her off with one large hand.

Lord Rodan Clearwater chuckled and leaned back regarding his friend. His large hand drummed against the felt of the gambling table as he contemplated his friends incredulous question. When he finally spoke it was with a deep commanding voice.

“I believe I am marrying the only heir to the Fernwood estate” Rodan said bringing his scotch to his lips and taking a measured sip.

“I believe you tried to bark up that tree Tom” He said chuckling as he brought the drink down “I’ve heard she is very very fetching”

“She’s completely mad as well!” Tom said smoke waving around his face as he moved his hands back and forth “The mouth on her!”

“Oh please Tom” Rodan said rolling his eyes “You let a little mouth turn you away? A woman like that just needs a firm hand”

“A firm hand” Tom said incredulous “You have no idea what you’re dealing with!”
“I’m dealing with a family fortune that’s considerable” Rodan said shaking his head “I am dealing with a strong-minded girl who just needs a spanking if anything. I am going to get what I want Tom I always have and I always will”
Before Tom could say anything else Rodan cut him off with a short wave of his hand. The game continued from there.

But the smile never left his face
………………………………………………..

Rodan blinked as she yelled at him to marry her father. The mouth on her indeed! Here he was dressed in his best petticoat and dress outfit and she was snubbing him. It took everything in him not to jump up and yell at her words. Instead he set his mouth in a firm line and glanced at her father waiting for him to take control.

When it was clear he wasn’t Rodan stood.

“I know this is a surprise Ms. Fernwood” He said doing his best to sound polite even with the hard edge to his voice “However I assure you that I am NOT leaving here. Your father and I have spoken at this at great length and I have put forth a dowry for you. I assure you that I think we would make a great partnership and if given the chance will make you a good husband. I have long admired you from afar and think we would make a good match”
 
Last edited:
She stood looking out at the grounds through the window and wishing she was back outside with Thunder. The black Thoroughbred had belonged to Clarissa since it has been born there at Fernwood Estates and the horse was very spirited. She rode the creature every day. In fact, she had been riding when Father had sent word that he wished to see her immediately. Thunder was devoted to her, having followed her around the estate almost since he could walk. Other than her Father, he was the most important thing in her life. And at the moment, her Father was running a very distant and tenuous second.

Behind her this Lord Clearwater was talking and though she would like nothing better than to tell the man exactly what he could do and head out to Thunder, she was at least polite enough to let him finish his speech before she told him exactly what she thought.

I know this is a surprise Ms. Fernwood. However I assure you that I am NOT leaving here. Your father and I have spoken at this at great length and I have put forth a dowry for you. I assure you that I think we would make a great partnership and if given the chance will make you a good husband. I have long admired you from afar and think we would make a good match.

long admired you from afar? Really? Must have been very afar as she had never heard of the man before. However, she did have to admit that she was not quite knowledgeable on all the local gentry. She turned to tell the man off and paused for a second. Lord! The man was big. Clarissa herself was a bit tall as most of her kinswomen were around 5'2", which had been yet another strike against her. But this man appeared head and shoulders taller than her. She decided to keep her distance, just to play it safe.

"Listen, ah, Lord Clearwater. I'm not sure exactly what deal father has made with you, but I'm not right for you. I'm sure that you will be able to find some young thing that would be more than happy to marry you. I am really not good marriage material. If you like, I can give you a list of young men that would wholeheartedly agree with me. I suggest that you consider yourself lucky to have dodged a fate worse that death and leave."

"Clarissa! Hold your tongue!"

"No Father, I shan't. No matter how many men you trot before me, the answer is no. I am not some air headed miss to simper in a corner and do silly needlepoint." She stood toe to toe against her father, anger flashing in her eyes. She paused before turning back to the man that seemed to be watching her.

"Good day, Lord Clearwater, and good luck in your search for a bride." Dismissing the man, she turned to leave. She wanted this whole deal over and done with.
 
He blinked as she left shocked and surprised by the turn of events. There was a long pregnant silence that punctuated the room after she left. He could see her father out of the corner of his eyes trying to think of something that he could say about the entire thing. Rodan himself was shocked into silent angry but not sure where and how to express it. Tom’s words filtered back to the forefront of his mind and his warning.

If only Rodan had paid attention.

“Lord Clearwater I-“

“Don’t” Rodan growled rising up finally moving to action “Where has she gone?”

“More than likely riding Lord” Her father said rubbing the back of my neck “She is a very good rider”

“Of that I am sure” Rodan said sweeping his coat as he moved to the door “I am going after her”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“You may be too scared to say something to her but I assure you I am not” Rodan said shaking his head “I will be back to make the preparations”

With that he closed the door and took off. His boots scuffled against the wooden floors as he moved. He caught her just as she moved towards the doors leading outside.

“Stop!” He shouted his voice echoing off of the walls. He moved down to meet her his eyes narrowed as he took her in.

“I don’t know who raised you woman but walking away is rude and not acceptable” He said his lips pulled back in an angry sneer “I understand you are not happy with the situation but as I have told you multiple times I am not leaving here. We are set to be married and that is final. I would hope that we can take this time to find out about each other
 
She had almost made it back outside when a booming voice stopped her cold.

Stop!

The voice fairly caught her off guard and she halfway expected a few of the portraits of her ancestors to fall off the walls in fear. She knew it was not her father, for though they may argue, he had never yelled at her like that. It had to be this Clearwater man. Nevertheless, it still caught her off guard enough that she stopped, turning back to find him quickly catching up with her. She may not know the man, but she recognized the anger in his eyes. As tall as he was, he backed he up against the front door, looming over her as he proceeded to chew her out.

I don’t know who raised you woman but walking away is rude and not acceptable. I understand you are not happy with the situation but as I have told you multiple times I am not leaving here. We are set to be married and that is final. I would hope that we can take this time to find out about each other.

For once, Clarissa did not know what to say. By this time, every other man had skulked away, his tail tucked between his legs, thankful that he would not wind up married to such as she.

Yet, for some reason, this man still wanted her. She could not understand it. For a moment, she was quiet. Her usual tactics had not worked and she found herself thinking of other options that might be effective. Perhaps she could reason with him.

Taking a deep breath, she fought not to show weakness. Hoping that a calmer voice would make him see reason, she spoke in a more conversational tone.

"Lord Clearwater, why should you wish to marry a woman that has no desire to be married? It is nothing against you personally. I truly do not wish to marry ANY man. Can you not see how it would be better for you to marry a woman that wants to be tied to a husband? I prefer my independence. But any other woman would probably consider it an honor to be proposed to by a Lord."

She hoped that she was making him see sense and she stepped around him trying to put some distance between them. His presence was a bit overpowering.

"As you can see, I have a temper. I am actually more trouble than I am worth. In fact, I am quite sure that I can name almost half a dozen young ladies that would consider it an honor to become Lady Clearwater."

She waited, sure that if he realized the truth of her words, he would change his mind. She had to give it at least one more try.
 
He backed off as she moved around but did not stray too far. His eyes smoldering and intense remained locked on hers as he starred her down. Her words fell on deaf ears because he was as stubborn as her and she did not yet know that. His entire reputation was on the line know since he already said he WAS going to marry her.

That and he wanted her. Not so much because of her but because of the family connections and the town gossip that painted her unobtainable. Simply put it was a challenge and he never backed away from one.

“If I wanted one of those women I would be at their house arguing with them” Rodan said shaking his head “now I am not leaving and so I suggest you and I come to some sort of accords with each other. Your father mentioned you liked to ride? If so how would you like to ride with me and perhaps have a picnic?”

A picnic would force her and he to spend some alone time together. He was intent on making this work which meant a common ground needed to be found. He stepped back even farther and crossed his arms raising an eyebrow as he starred her down.
 
He watched her hard, not stopping her movements. Even before he answered her, she suspected that that she had lost this argument.

If I wanted one of those women I would be at their house arguing with them. now I am not leaving and so I suggest you and I come to some sort of accords with each other. Your father mentioned you liked to ride? If so how would you like to ride with me and perhaps have a picnic?

What? A picnic? She swallowed hard, not daring to say what she really wanted to say. She wanted to yell at him that she no sooner wished to go on a picnic with him than she wished to marry him.

But instead, she bit her tongue. She had seen that he too could have a temper. "I suppose that if I said no, you would not listen. Do you always get your way?"

She suspected that his answer would be yes. This was a man that was used to getting what he wanted. Though why he would want her still stumped her. There were English women more beautiful that she. Her freckles were considered a flaw by the rule of the day. Her height yet another flaw. Her temper a big flaw.

She clenched and unclenched her jaw, frustration building in her. She had to find a way out of this. There had to be something that she could do to make him drop this whole silly procedure. A way of circumventing it. She gave an abrupt nod, anger smoldering deep within her. Perhaps between now and the big day she could find a way out. Because the alternative did not appeal to her. Not one bit!

"Out front in 20 minutes!" Her manner was abrupt as she turned on her heels and headed for the kitchen to give Cook the order to pack a basket. A smile played around her lips as she thought to herself. There was more than one way to win this argument. And the next time that she talked to Father, he would rue the day that he pulled a stunt like this on her.
 
Last edited:
He watched as her mind struggled to come up with a suitable answer for his offer. He felt a smug bit of satisfaction at the idea that a simple thing like a picnic with him caused her to balk in fear. She clearly wasn’t used to this! Someone who wouldn’t run but would stand up and fight for what he wanted! Game on he thought to himself struggling to keep the pleased smirk off of his face. He didn’t want to give off the air of someone who was getting his way. He knew what this was now.

A game he would have to play to win.

She finally seemed to realize he wasn’t going away and stomped away. She barked an order to be outside in twenty minutes but let it pass. His was the win and she was getting in a last-minute jab. He couldn’t help but admire the fire in her. She was a woman who wasn’t afraid to be something more than the meek kitten her peers emulated.

“Breathtaking” He murmured before he could stop himself. He was intrigued instead of turned away interested even though she gave off that” I have no interest in you” vibe. He walked to the front and waited taking in the outside air and gazing around the estate.

It would be his if he managed to pull this off. Her family fortune was considerably larger than his own. He was a lesser lord who probably wouldn’t have even been considered as a proper candidate if it wasn’t for her…. Unique ability to send men running. That was just one of the reasons he wouldn’t back down.

His reputation and material life was at stake.

When she came out he turned giving her a smile.

“Would you like to ride or walk?” He asked her taking the basket from her and sliding it onto his arm.
 
She found cook busy preparing lunch. Walking into the kitchen, she stood for a moment, breathing heavy with her fists clenched. Cook looked up at her, shaking her head as she clucked.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Rissa, what has he done now, dearie?" Rissa was a name of endearment that Cook had called Clarissa ever since the 3 year old girl had come running into the kitchen, upset over the death of her Mother. She had watched the little girl grow into a gawky girl and finally a headstrong young woman. It was almost as if the woman was her own daughter, though she would never call her by her pet name in the presence of others.

"Father is insufferable! He has managed to dig up some obscure lord to marry me. And the man is unbearable. Doesn't seem to understand when he is not wanted. Wants to go on a picnic." She said the word as if speaking of some foul muck.

"Very well. I can give you some roasted chicken and sandwiches."

Clarissa went into the pantry and grabbed down the basket, cleaning it out and grabbing a tablecloth and napkins. Just being around Cook seemed to calm her down some. She looked upon the woman almost like a surrogate mother and the woman's rosy fat cheeks made her smile as she watched Cook work, quickly preparing the basket and humming.

In next to no time, the basket was stuffed with a roasted chicken, a couple of sandwiches of thick ham and a mix of grated cheese and chopped nuts spread between two pieces of thick cut fresh bread, several apples and several bottles of ale.

"Maybe I can slow him down with food. God bless you, Cook." Kissing the woman's cheek, she picked up the basket, giving an unladylike grunt at the unexpected weight of the thing. "This meal is better than what he deserves. Why can't Father just let me be?"

Still in her dusty clothes, she headed back to the front of the house, Lord Whatever-his-name-was standing there. She could have sworn that he had gotten taller - obviously not true though the man was not fashionably graceful looking. This man looked powerful and able to do any worked around an estate that was needed.

Smiling at her, he took the basket from her, asking, Would you like to ride or walk?

She walked over to where Thunder stomped impatiently at the ground. In a single bound she easily drew herself up in the saddle. She looked down at him.

"Get there however you wish." And with that, she tore off at break neck speed, bent over and whispering in Thunder's ear. As if he understood her, the horse tore off towards her favorite spot, leaving the man standing in the dust. It would be hard to find - a small patch of ground wedged between two rocky outcroppings with a view of the lake.

That hamper should slow him down a bit. For the first time since being introduced to Clearwater, she felt that there may be hope in getting rid of him.
 
She thrusted the wicker basket into his hands and moved towards a beautiful horse. Before he could say anything she was upon it. He eyed her warily as she bent down whispering ready and waiting for what was to come.

She didn’t disappoint him. No sooner did she rear back up and say those words then she and her horse were taking off. He watched as she disappeared into the forest plumes of dirt kicking up as she tried to outrun him. He stayed that way for several seconds before snorting and laughing. The nerve of that girl! To think she could lose a seasoned hunter crashing through the forest like that.

“You there!” He said catching a stable boy “Bring me a horse”

“A horse my lord?” He said in surprise raising an eyebrow.

“A horse” He said nodding his head “Anyone will do preferably something not lame”

The stable boy nodded and moments later came back with a chestnut male. He thanked the young lad and jumped up taking the reins and wrapping the leather around his fist. He kicked the spurs and the horse took off after her.

He had no trouble following her through the forest. The dirt she kicked up was an easy to follow trail on the path. Eventually she trailed off the path and he followed the smaller signs. A broken branch here, a crumpled flower bed. There was always something.

He broke through the tree line and he saw her and her horse. He smirked at her smug and confident sliding off of the horse and leading it towards her.

“Now we can enjoy our picnic” He said smirking “Or do you wish to play another game of hide and go seek”
 
Once she reached her spot, she quickly reined Thunder in and slid off the horse's back. Thunder was quite used to this as this was where Clarissa would ride to when things got to be too much. The horse wandered over to one side of the private space, nibbling on the sweet grass.

Clarissa stood staring out at the scene before her. It never failed to amaze her - the beauty of it. The lake seemed to gleam in the noonday sun like a large blue diamond set in the surrounding green field. A copse of trees hid the manor from her view. A light breeze rustled the surrounding trees.

Even with her back to him, she heard him enter the hidden clearing. She refused to turn, closing her eyes as she heard him.

Now we can enjoy our picnic. Or do you wish to play another game of hide and go seek

She kept her back to him, back straight and stiff. As he drew close she turned to find him dismounting Sumpter. Once he let loose its reins, the chestnut horse wandered over to Thunder, their tails switching at the irritating flies. She felt uncomfortable around him.

Sighing, she crossed and motioned for him to set the basket in the ground. Once he did, she removed the tablecloth and spread it out next to the basket. She was apprehensive to sit next to him, he bothered her. So she did her best to place food between them as a barrier. Handing him a bottle of ale after she opened it, she spoke,

"I'm sorry for the limited choice in what to eat. It was rather short notice. Roast chicken or ham and cheese sandwich?"
 
He watched as she reacted to her presence. He could see it on her face the discomfort at the situation. Some of the smugness faded on his own face as he reacted to it. Instead of the antagonistic game they seemed to be playing she now seemed…. Sad.

Not that he was sure WHY he cared. He was still working through his own irritation at her acts and what she did. For a man that was so used to getting what he wanted Rodan could be… well a bit of a baby when it didn’t happen. He wasn’t used to rejection and hers seemed to be very cutting.

“This will be fine” He answered in response to her remark on the food. He noticed her putting the food in between them but didn’t comment. Instead he slid down taking his own seat and looking around the meadow. His eyes swept around the grass taking it all in and trying to relax.

“This is a beautiful place” He said to her softly “Excellent place you have found”
He poured them both a glass of ale and then handed it to her. Once he took his own he leaned back sipping it as he regarded her.

“When you’re not arguing” He said deciding to try and find some middle ground “What do you like to do?”
 
He sat on the spot that she had left for him and as she finished unpacking the hamper, he spoke as he admired the view.

This is a beautiful place. Excellent place you have found

"Thank you. It is my favorite place. Thunder and I have spent many hours here. There are several places around the estate that are hidden gems."

She took the glass of ale and slowly sipped it. His next question she saw it for what it was - trying to appease her and perhaps make a friend.

When you’re not arguing. What do you like to do?

She wouldn't look at him. She sat there looking out to the view as several ducks lit on the water and called out to each other. The soft breeze lifted the loose tendrils around her face. Her mad gallop on Thunder had jostled loose several of the hairpins holding the hair coiled at the nape of her neck and she now had a smudge of dirt on her cheek.

"Why do you want to marry me? Why marry someone who does not wish marriage? Why marry someone that does not love you and that you do not love? You certainly will not gain any standing in social circles with a wife such as me. I'm sure that I have scandalized anyone who is anyone. Lady Agatha Monteith called me an 'abomination to true English Womanhood'." She clenched her jaw in determination. "But I do not care. I do as I wish, and I don't need some man to..."

She suddenly stopped and ignored his question. "You never said which you prefer to eat. The chicken or the ham?"
 
“The chicken please” He said minding his manners and not answering he

“Your awfully obsessed with this whole marriage thing” He said chuckling rolling his eyes “Ever since I came that’s all you seem to want to talk about!”

He was toying with her a bit and so he sighed pushing it away to focus on her present question.

“I understand marriage is not what you want” He told her his tone patient “And no it’s not my ideal to get married to someone who doesn’t love me. Yet you don’t know me so you can’t possibly say for sure if you would love me or not. I like your sass even though its slowly driving me wild and I think our houses would be a good match as well. I know it’s not what you want to hear but I’m not giving up and so it would be ideal if you and I can actually work on getting to know each other at this point.”
He let her mule on that as he ate.
 
Your awfully obsessed with this whole marriage thing. Ever since I came that’s all you seem to want to talk about!

'Obsessed! You are an ass! Of course I'm obsessed with it. I don't want it!' The words screamed in her brain. She quickly turned away, looking back out at the water for she was sure that her thoughts could be easily read in her eyes.

I understand marriage is not what you want. And no it’s not my ideal to get married to someone who doesn’t love me. Yet you don’t know me so you can’t possibly say for sure if you would love me or not. I like your sass even though its slowly driving me wild and I think our houses would be a good match as well. I know it’s not what you want to hear but I’m not giving up and so it would be ideal if you and I can actually work on getting to know each other at this point.

Sass! She'd show the man sass. And he certainly wasn't getting anything out of her.

"So, why not tell me just what it is that makes you such a good match? I've never heard of you before." She didn't point out that she really wasn't all that interested in him or just what kind of standing the man had in society. Maybe if he were busy talking about himself then he wouldn't notice her real lack of interest.

A fortnight? She would have to work to come up with a way to circumvent Lord Rodan Clearwater. Lady Clearwater? No no no! She had no desire to be married to him, even if the outcome was a Ladyship.

And then she had sudden inspiration. Perhaps there was a way out.
 
“Your bright capable and stunning” Roderick said in answer to her outburst “I don’t know much about you that’s true but I do know that you are a catch Lady Fernwood even if you make it very difficult for men to see that. I would like to explore that”

Part of it was him trying to appeal to her ego and the other part was honesty. She was right to point out that they didn’t know each other. That being said a part of him was intrigued by what he saw so far. She was a fiery girl with a burning passion. There could be worst women to be paired with.

“I doubt you would know anything about me” He said chuckling “I’m a lesser lord I doubt I would have even been considered if it wasn’t for you running off all the other men. Now can we move off of a topic of marriage and into learning about each other? Or are you plotting some other way to get out of this again?”
 
As he spoke, she slowly ate on her sandwich, not looking at the man. Something about him bothered her. Made her uneasy. Yes, he was good looking with his black hair and blue eyes and his strong features and...she stopped chewing the sandwich for a bit, trying to get herself back together again. This man may think that she was starting to wear down. But he could just wind up being surprised.

Her? Stunning? She almost laughed out loud at him he must think her a complete idiot to fall for such flattery.

"I'm still waiting for you to tell me something about yourself. You're so adamant in us learning about each other, why not give me an example of exactly what kind of information you wish to exchange."

While he sat there, she grabbed one of the apples and crossed across the clearing to offer it to Thunder. With her back to him, it put enough of a distance between them that if he was going to answer her, he would have to raise his voice a bit.

Thunder enjoyed the apple and she kept her back to Lord Roden Clearwater, obviously more interested in the horse than him. Her half eaten sandwich lay back on her napkin on the tablecloth.
 
He gritted his teeth trying to keep calm as the woman ignored him and favored the horse. No matter what he tried she ignored favoring this blasted defiance! His patience was wearing thin the ice melting further and further with each biting remark.

He struggled to contain himself and took a deep breath. He cautioned himself to be patient and reminded himself of his earlier victories. She was stubborn but he was hanging in forcing her to make accords that she hadn’t for any other suitor. She was taken aback when he said he wasn’t leaving and he was still here dealing with her.

“I’d love to tell you a bit about myself” He said as soon as his turbulent thoughts settled “I am the head of a small family. I have a younger sister who is my ward and we enjoy going horseback riding together. She is the creative type in the family and enjoys things like the piano and what not. I myself focus on the business side of things. I enjoy riding myself and sports and also belong to a few historical preservation societies I admire art greatly”
 
She found that even with her back to him, even with the distance, she could still hear what he said. Each obstacle that she threw at him he accepted and overtook it. Very irritating! Most men did not bother to even try to get this far. So why was he so adamant to marry her? Roden was irritating as he continued to "court" her. Court! Merde! The wedding night! She kept her back to him so he would not see the flush of her cheeks.

She heard him mention a sister. Perhaps she could turn the girl into wanting her independence from her bullying brother. It would make his life chaotic. Serve him right.

This man. Rodan. Strange name. She kept her back to him, letting Thunder finish his apple. She wondered if she should give an apple to Sumpter. Or would that be pressing things a bit too much.

"Rodan? Such an unusual name. Is it a family name?"
 
Last edited:
“It is” Rodan said a small smile playing on his lips as he remembered the name and the stories that went with it. It was old a name borne by his ancestor before they came to England. His father named him as a gesture of good luck and in hopes he would live up to the name and bring back honor to their family house.

“It’s very old” He explained eating some more of his food and watching as she continued to look away from him “Been in the family for generations. It was something of great respect in my family”

He ate a few more bites before sighing and leaning back.

“If you weren’t getting married what would you do?” He asked her unable to stop himself from asking “If your father stopped trying to marry you off and just let you do whatever it was you wished to do what would that be?”
 
She listened to his explanation about his name. As long as he was talking about himself, then she didn't have to talk about herself. But he suddenly caught her off guard.

If you weren’t getting married what would you do? If your father stopped trying to marry you off and just let you do whatever it was you wished to do what would that be?

She grew still, standing ramrod straight, almost afraid to turn around. Thunder finished the apple and gave a whinny of appreciation. His tail swished and she pet him on the side of his neck and whispered softly to the horse before pitching the remains over in a group of bushes nearby. .

"I..." She had to stop and softly clear her voice. "I would be with my horses. I have quite fine breeding stock. I would continue my interests in archery and fencing, which I'm sure would greatly offend Lady Monteith should she hear of it, and shooting. I would do whatever I wished whenever I wished without having to account myself to a husband."

She walked over to where the chestnut horse grazed nearby. Petting the horse, she spoke almost as if it were to no one in particular. "His name is Sumpter. I named him that more as a joke to irritate father. But the name stuck. He is rather fine, though not as nice as Thunder."
 
“It is a fine horse” Rodan said rising up off of the blanket and moving to join her. He didn’t stray to close but was within reaching distance as he leaned against the horse. He watched her admire the horse for a few seconds letting her get somewhat comfortable before he spoke.

“You spoke of taming your horses and Archery” He said clearing his throat “In fencing as well. Let me ask you something. I know having yourself “saddled” with a husband isn’t ideal but what makes you think I would not allow you to do those things? I have some fine horses at my own estate and have been known to fence from time to time myself. I believe the traditions of a wife having to be just a wife is archaic. Don’t get me wrong there are things I would expect of you as my wife. I won’t tell you that you won’t have to make compromises. Yet I WOULD be willing to meet you halfway.”

He put added emphasis on the word would and reaching out to gently touched her shoulder. He moved it away when he stiffened clearing his throat awkwardly and moving back to the blanket.

“Look it seems you want something” He said turning to her “To get your father off of your back and to be allowed the freedom to pursue your interests. Getting married to me would end your fathers mission to marry you. I would be willing to negotiate and perhaps compromise for us to both get what we want”
 
She felt him draw near and her nerves were on edge. His eyes were on her, intent.

You spoke of taming your horses and Archery. In fencing as well. Let me ask you something. I know having yourself “saddled” with a husband isn’t ideal but what makes you think I would not allow you to do those things? I have some fine horses at my own estate and have been known to fence from time to time myself. I believe the traditions of a wife having to be just a wife is archaic. Don’t get me wrong there are things I would expect of you as my wife. I won’t tell you that you won’t have to make compromises. Yet I WOULD be willing to meet you halfway.

His touch was light yet she stiffened before he moved away, giving her space. There had to be a way out of this.

Look it seems you want something. To get your father off of your back and to be allowed the freedom to pursue your interests. Getting married to me would end your fathers mission to marry you. I would be willing to negotiate and perhaps compromise for us to both get what we want

"And what are these 'compromises' that I would have to make?" Her voice was quiet. She suspected just what one of those compromises may be. Still, she waited to see what he would say.
 
Last edited:
“What compromises would I have you make?” He asked her raising an eyebrow. He thought about it for several moments thinking on it and actually deciding WHAT he wanted a wife for before speaking.

“There are the usual social functions and events I guess” He said shrugging his shoulders “I have a feeling they might be a bore for you but I don’t tend to make an appearance for very long. I am known as something of a recluse. Then of course there is us actually being together of which I think would entail all the usual things two married people do. When you feel up to it of course”

“I don’t care how you spend your free time” He told her reaching out and placing a hand on her shoulder “We can focus on being friends first and then something more when and if we feel the spark to. Wouldn’t you prefer to have your father off your back and be with someone who isn’t going to force you to do things you don’t wish to do?”
 
In a way, she knew what his answer would be, but hearing it seemed so final. She didn't like the fact that what he said made sense. Did not like it one bit. And she found herself deciding that if she was going to lose this fight, she would make this man regret the day that he had asked for her hand in marriage.

His hand on her shoulder was warm, and it bothered her that her stomach did flips at his touch. She attributed it to being sick about the entire thing. That had to be it. Certainly no other reason. Why could her father not leave well enough alone? This time he did not remove his hand. It stayed, as if burning a hole in her shoulder.

She was not an idiot. Having been raised on the estate, she understood nature and the birds and bees. She had witnessed the breeding of her horses, helped with many births of the results of that mating. But to speak if it in human terms seemed so coarse and vulgar. Even the way he couched it in polite terms made her sick.

She slowly pulled away from him and took a deep breath. With no emotion, she turned and headed back to the picnic spread across the grass. She had lost her appetite and suddenly wished herself anywhere but here.

Packing the leftover food, including her half eaten sandwich, she spoke bruskly. "We should be heading back to the house." She couldn't even look him in the eye. Once the basket was packed she left it to him and mounted Thunder. The horse was anxious, as was she and she gave his his head. He took off and she leaned over, her face resting against the horse's neck.

"Let's run away together, Thunder. Run where no one can ever find us. Just you and me, boy!" The wind whipped the black horse's mane in her face, the sting matching the pain in her heart. She didn't care where Clearwater was though she was sure that he was not far behind.

The stableboy had seen the cloud approaching and was waiting for her. Thunder pulled up quick as she jumped off the horse and pitched the reins to the boy before running inside the house. Her Father heard the commotion and came running out of his study.

"Clarissa?" The look she gave him was thunderous and he stepped back out of her way, his eyes darting as if looking for "him", the infamous fiancé. She didn't stop. Nor even slow down. Up the stairs she ran, not slowing down until she reached her room. With the door closed, she tried to slow her heartbeat. She heard voices downstairs and assumed that "he" had returned.

Crossing to the window, she looked out on the land she had called home. Now what?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top