30 in 30 Companion Thread

Trix, your 1-5 said a lot with very few words.

Remec, I thought yours hit that bittersweet spot I like so much. Your numbering is off, by the way, you did a 7-3 twice, so your 7-4 should be your 7-5. Just in case you didn't want to do 31 poems in 31 days. :)

Today, I was poking around this page: Poetry Types Introduction

I'm rather new to this poetry stuff, so I was looking at some of the different forms, and the nonet caught my eye. I decided to play with that a bit today, and I got today's poem out of it. Took a bit of time, and I changed my mind on theme a couple of times, but finally landed on something that worked out for me.

I checked to see if nonets had been done here before, but my search came up empty. Perhaps a future challenge using them would be fun, eh? :)

Today, I was poking around this page: Poetry Types Introduction

I'm rather new to this poetry stuff, so I was looking at some of the different forms, and the nonet caught my eye. I decided to play with that a bit today, and I got today's poem out of it. Took a bit of time, and I changed my mind on theme a couple of times, but finally landed on something that worked out for me.

I checked to see if nonets had been done here before, but my search came up empty. Perhaps a future challenge using them would be fun, eh? :)

I don't recall that we ever did them here before, but that shadow poetry page has only been linked here three or four years, so maybe we never got to it.

I thought you did a great job with your nonet: image and theme really played together well (so to speak). :)

There are some great forms on that website. I really like the blitz form, for one example, which is longish but pretty easy to work with imo.

I don't recall that we ever did them here before, but that shadow poetry page has only been linked here three or four years, so maybe we never got to it.

I thought you did a great job with your nonet: image and theme really played together well (so to speak). :)

There are some great forms on that website. I really like the blitz form, for one example, which is longish but pretty easy to work with imo.

Thank you! I may have to start that nonet challenge myself sometime this year. :)

And, thanks for mentioning the blitz form; I hadn't looked at that set of forms yet. It does look interesting, and I'm tucking it into my list of things to try during this little adventure.

The Blitz might be a fun challenge......as audio. :D

Thank you, Honey :)

I was thinking that might be fun to record, too. hehe

Maybe I'll give it a try soon. I have a few written. Not sure my voice is up to the breathless read but I'll see! I do enjoy writing them because it goes fast and sort of forces one into stream of consciousness writing. I'm usually way more intentioned when I write. The blitz is like writing on a roller coaster. :D

Maybe I'll give it a try soon. I have a few written. Not sure my voice is up to the breathless read but I'll see! I do enjoy writing them because it goes fast and sort of forces one into stream of consciousness writing. I'm usually way more intentioned when I write. The blitz is like writing on a roller coaster. :D

I'm full of hot air, so I could volunteer my services. :D

Today was an American Sentence kind of day. :)

And you're off to a great start with them. :)

I love writing American Sentences: the modern vernacular just speaks to me and feels so much more accessible than haiku. And they sure do come in handy for the 30/30 thread! Here's a site that has more info on them and some wonderful examples from their originator. (Apologies if you've already seen it.)

http://paulenelson.com/american-sentences-2/shadow/

And you're off to a great start with them. :)

I love writing American Sentences: the modern vernacular just speaks to me and feels so much more accessible than haiku. And they sure do come in handy for the 30/30 thread! Here's a site that has more info on them and some wonderful examples from their originator. (Apologies if you've already seen it.)

http://paulenelson.com/american-sentences-2/shadow/

Thank you! :rose:

I appreciate the link, and I'll definitely do some reading there. :)

Ugh... So, I was poking around Lit, and the internet, looking at threads, surfing form... poetcrastinating. (I may have just coined that, no hits on Google!)

I decided I'd try an Alliterisen, because, apparently I've lost my mind. I've set a deadline for myself to post before midnight. I almost didn't make it. In the end, I was just trying to get the damn thing to just make some kind of sense.

I'm not saying that it actually does. :D

I went a bit lighthearted (silly, really) today, playing with Harrisham Rhyme. I'm currently drawn to forms that are quickly, easily understood right now. They've been fun to play with.

Harrisham Rhyme has an simple ababab pattern to the rhyme. The only catch is that the first word of each line starts with the last letter of the first word in the line above it. The example on the page is about writing poetry, and that kind of led to today's theme. :D

I went a bit lighthearted (silly, really) today, playing with Harrisham Rhyme. I'm currently drawn to forms that are quickly, easily understood right now. They've been fun to play with.

Harrisham Rhyme has an simple ababab pattern to the rhyme. The only catch is that the first word of each line starts with the last letter of the first word in the line above it. The example on the page is about writing poetry, and that kind of led to today's theme. :D

Is that from the shadow poetry site? I seem to recall that name there.

A few other ideas:

When I first came here we did a lot of exercises like writing A-Z poems (each word begins with the successive alphabet letter--it's hard to do that and still write something meaningful!). Or write a poem where every word starts with the same letter. :eek:

One of our former moderators, Wicked Eve, used to have us write on a subject without using any words typically associated with it, like write a poem about the sea and then she'd list words you can't use like "wave," "shore," "blue," etc. They are great exercises if you are feeling dry and can't find a form you like.

If you haven't done so already, you may want to check out fibonacci sequence poems. They can be short or longer and are fun to write. :rose:

Is that from the shadow poetry site? I seem to recall that name there.

A few other ideas:

When I first came here we did a lot of exercises like writing A-Z poems (each word begins with the successive alphabet letter--it's hard to do that and still write something meaningful!). Or write a poem where every word starts with the same letter. :eek:

One of our former moderators, Wicked Eve, used to have us write on a subject without using any words typically associated with it, like write a poem about the sea and then she'd list words you can't use like "wave," "shore," "blue," etc. They are great exercises if you are feeling dry and can't find a form you like.

If you haven't done so already, you may want to check out fibonacci sequence poems. They can be short or longer and are fun to write. :rose:

Yes, it's from Shadow Poetry. :)

Thanks for the ideas! I've tucked them all way in my little file of challenges and ideas to pull from.

Back