What is something from your youth

Polly-Pocket.jpg

Haven't read throughout the thread. I'm sure some of this has been posted.

-Life without the internet
-Picking wild blueberries, strawberries, peaches, and plumbs off the side of a dirt road
-School without security guards
-fishing wherever you want without the worry of dumbass rules or contaminated water
-Rock em sock em robots
-real cokes from those old pullout machines
-comic books
-hand-me-down clothes
-only 3 tv stations (or going outside to turn the antennae to get a clear picture)
-grandma's biscuits or gravy and food made from scratch
-constant family discussions about Kennedy or Nixon
-family fueds about stupid shit that happened decades ago

A train set that you have to wind up to make it go (circa 1948):

Hornby-39-O-39-Gauge-M-O-Clockwork-Passenger-Train-Boxed-Set_700_600_466PX.jpg

I had a Lionel HO set.
How long did the train go on a wind up?

I had a train set when I was kid. Don't remember who made it. Had lights and choo-choo sound with whistle noise. It didn't go over so well when I blew it up with fire crackers and an M-80. Back when firecrackers were really firecrackers.

I had a train set when I was kid. Don't remember who made it. Had lights and choo-choo sound with whistle noise. It didn't go over so well when I blew it up with fire crackers and an M-80. Back when firecrackers were really firecrackers.

I remember bottle rockers when I was a kid. Do they still make them ? You got about 120 in one pack.

Haven't read throughout the thread. I'm sure some of this has been posted.

-Life without the internet
-Picking wild blueberries, strawberries, peaches, and plumbs off the side of a dirt road
-School without security guards
-fishing wherever you want without the worry of dumbass rules or contaminated water
-Rock em sock em robots
-real cokes from those old pullout machines
-comic books
-hand-me-down clothes
-only 3 tv stations (or going outside to turn the antennae to get a clear picture)
-grandma's biscuits or gravy and food made from scratch
-constant family discussions about Kennedy or Nixon
-family fueds about stupid shit that happened decades ago

Rock em sock em robots are back! Saw them in a toy store last weekend.

I had a Lionel HO set.
How long did the train go on a wind up?

That particular MO model? About 50-60 feet on that 1 foot radius oval track with the two small carriages. It would go another 15 to 20 feet as a light engine. If the track had larger 2 foot radius curves it would go about 20% further.

The next engine size up would only run on the 2 foot radius curves and would go about 100 feet.

The more expensive 'special' locomotives would travel about 250 feet.

As all of the locomotives are sixty years or more old, they don't go as far as they did when new.

Telling a girl / woman she looks nice without fear of being branded a sexist pig or sexually aggressive.

I remember paying 60 cents for a dozen donuts, 13 cents for a gallon of gas and drive-in movies.

I remember those good ol' honest flint-headed spears, like you used to get from Floog's before the war. (And curse those Norpi war criminals for using those damned bows and arrows, no respect at all for the canons of civilized warfare, may Glorbash eat their funparts! :mad:)

Last edited:
I remember paying 60 cents for a dozen donuts, 13 cents for a gallon of gas and drive-in movies.

I remember when it was a couple bucks to fill up the truck. Not $40-60 bucks like today. I also remember you pumped the gas and then went in to pay. Now its all pay in advance or on credit card.

That particular MO model? About 50-60 feet on that 1 foot radius oval track with the two small carriages. It would go another 15 to 20 feet as a light engine. If the track had larger 2 foot radius curves it would go about 20% further.

The next engine size up would only run on the 2 foot radius curves and would go about 100 feet.

The more expensive 'special' locomotives would travel about 250 feet.

As all of the locomotives are sixty years or more old, they don't go as far as they did when new.

I am surprised the springs still work at all to move it !

I do not either, so I can relate to that.

I am surprised the springs still work at all to move it !

I do not either, so I can relate to that.

Sewing machine oil after WD40 keeps the springs supple but I could buy new springs if required (or have the spring replaced by a dedicated hobbyist).

The electric versions weren't sold after 1939 but many are still running because the French Hornby/Meccano factory in Calais was still producing electrical versions up to 1970, and clockwork until the 1980s. ACE trains of New Zealand still produce trains, carriages and wagons that are compatible.

Back