Mysterious Circumstances (pm to discuss joining)

Austin rolled onto his back and gave April a cold looking making sure to expose the long scar across his throat. "Fuck off, cheerleader" he croaked. He slowly stood up, using a chair for support then he limped to the closest refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of beer. He sat down at the far end of the table and began to sip the beer, brooding over his defeat.
 
Kate smirked and sipped at her water. "We're so impressed with your angst. You're a regular Johnny Rotten, only he had talent. So, what's your name and what are you good at other than taking your personal stuff out on others?"

April took her soup bowl to the kitchen and returned to her seat not wanting to leave Kate alone with that guy. "Cheerleader, hardly. But, thanks. That would've been nice. In Wales we had no cheerleaders or school sports at my school. Most schools have that stuff as extras run by organizations and...well, no. No cheering options. And, I haven't been young enough, or well enough for sports of that sort in years."

Kate asked April, "Unwell?"

April simply replied, "Cancer."

"Oh, that sucks."

"Very much. But, it appears that's over now." April turned to regard goth boy, "That neck scar, cause of your demise, Ludwig?"
 
Last edited:
Austin looked at April and gave her a wide bitter smile. "Killed myself." He turned to Kate "Impressed now red?" He croaked a little louder than he'd been able to before. "Guess my voice is coming back he thought." Austin then raised his arms palms out showing the lines of scars that decorated his arms. "I'm just full of angst." He croaked. "So much that I needed to let some blood." He took a long drink of beer then looked at Kate. "And I've always identified with Sid more than Johnny."
 
Kate hadn't seen the display but had heard enough.

April just hissed, "Jeezuz, man! And, I thought I'd been anxious to go. You really weren't a quitter, were ya?"

"Red, that's cute. But, you may call me Kate."

"Sister Kate!" chimed in April, not very helpful.

Kate shook her head, "Nah, Kate. It was Sister Mary Simon but I never took final vows so I'm not actually a Sister anymore. Just civilian Kate. Your name, Mister?"
 
Austin looked at Kate in shock. "Wait. Are you telling me that you devoted your entire life to a fucking fairy tale?" His croaks continuing to gain volume as time passed. "Do you realize how dumb that is, Red?" Austin croaked finishing his beer. He stood up, grabbed a second beer from the refrigerator, and sat back down, his attention completely focused on Kate, as he waited for her response.
 
"No. Not my entire life. Most of my adulthood, though. But, I didn't go through with it. I spent time travelling, meeting people from all faiths and all walks of life...And, there is no sure path. But, I was hoping to spend my life asking the questions, learning what it is humans have in common that makes us seek to invent a creator, then to invent so many myths and rules surrounding our invention we end up confused, never feeling we're good enough, fearing those who've ascribed to different ideas...Yet, it's all the same. It always comes back to the same things...I was interested in that, the connection bit, that thing bonding all living things regardless of belief systems. That still fascinates me. But, I prefer not to study it as a Catholic any longer. That may work for some people but...I feel more objective if I study from outside any sort of organized religion." Kate explained.

April simply breathed, "Deep. Non judgemental. I like you, Kate. Sorry you didn't get to finish your studying."
 
Austin paused and tilted his head. He looked at over Kate like he was studying her. His croaking voice lost some of its condescending edge. "So what do you think it is? The reason people create gods and religions? Do you think that there really is something that's above humans?"
 
Kate shrugged, "Who am I to say? My opinion, though, is that the closest we'll ever come to true heaven or hell is via our interactions with each other. We create heaven and hell, in our minds, in how we treat others...

And, people who feel badly tend to lash out at others. In turn, nature balances things out so eventually those people will feel they're getting comeuppance or due karmic retribution. But, those who feel no guilt will never truly see their errors and for them the only form of hell is in losing face, those ones will always see themselves as heroes and victims and nothing in between. Life lessons are lost on them. Most people, though, most people can feel the connecting force linking us all. Those people seek to name it and either separate from it out of misunderstanding or capitalize upon it by evangelizing others, which is misguided and unnecessary. You can't force people to see the universe exactly the same way you do. It's pointless, so why try? I've found that each person experiences a higher power in their own unique way and we should accept each other's differences as long as we're not causing anyone harm."

Kate then chuckled and shook her head, "I want to believe there's a higher power but I don't know. It won't stop me from continuing to be a good person, though. I do that as much for me as anyone else. I feel better surrounded by generosity and kindness than judgement and hatred."

She then turned to April, "April, could you help me find my room and get ready for bed? I'm tired. My eyes are really sore."

April took Kate's hand and put it onto her elbow. "Sure. Anything you need, just ask, Sister."

"Please, just Kate."

"Ok, Kate."
 
Last edited:
As Kate and April stood Austin stood too. He'd never really had a discussion like this before. It put a feeling within him that he couldn't place. Most people dismissed him as just some dumb asshole, which in some ways he wanted. But Kate saw through his mask of anger, or maybe he just wanted her to. Regardless of what it was he didn't want this conversation to end. "Wait." He said to April. "If she doesn't mind, I'd like to help her to her room. I want to continue this discussion in private." He paused then added. "I promise that I'll behave myself."
 
April shook her head, "Man, this may not be the best idea given her circumstances..."

Kate interrupted, "Hush! April, I'm blind not totally helpless. If I start going through the rest of my life cautious because of my old wounds how will I ever finish the work I've begun?"

"I'm not worried about your eyes, Kate. But, he's not exactly proven trustworthy."

"And, he never will if nobody gives him chances to be."

"Kate, don't be gullible..."

"April, let me go. It will be alright if you wait outside the door. I mean, when he and I are finished talking I'll still need your help getting ready for bed, if you don't mind. And, I'll call you if I need help before then."

Kate transferred her hand to Goth boy's offered arm. Kate grumbled, "Hurt her and I promise to show you hell, kid." She threatened.

Kate tried not to tremble or think about those last moments of her life as she reflected on what April was worrying would happen. She hoped April was wrong about this boy. Kate hoped he wasn't truly malicious. But, she had to live her faith, not just speak about it.
 
"I've already seen it, cheerleader." Austin raised his head showing the long across his neck for emphasis. He ignored April's angry look and walked out of the room with Kate. He walked slowly and tried to be as gentle as he possibly could be. He guided Kate into her room and helped her to sit on the bed. He then moved across the room and sat in the desk chair, turning it to face Kate.

Austin sat in silence for a few moments studing Kate and trying to gather his thoughts. He opened his mouth but stopped. He didn't know what to say. He sat in silence for a few moments longer when he noticed that Kate was tense with fear. He finally asked the first question that formed in his mind: "Is this Hell?"
 
Kate was nervous when she could hear that the guy was still in the room with her but he said nothing for the longest time. She imagined him sizing her up, preparing for some horrid sexual assault...But, when he spoke he was across the room, more than a respectful distance. And, his voice sounded confused, a little anguished.

She let out a trembling sigh, "No. No, I don't think so. This isn't the worst we can come up with, I'm afraid. Humans are imaginative, even in thinking up ways to torment...It's a beautiful power to have, imagination, when used as a form of expression, connecting with the universe and others via art, music, language...The other side of the same gift. And, perhaps that can be heavenly, those things we all seem to enjoy. Heaven, heaven and hell, maybe they're moments, the most perfect ones and the most horrible ones. You said you've been to hell. What did you mean? What was so horrible that you saw no way out except death?" She asked, still shaking, but a little less as she spoke.

Kate was waiting for a response but the silence was filled within her mind by her own sobs during those awful last moments. She also knew hell... There were four of them...One was really young, maybe still in his teens...One had a scar on his eyebrow, no hair on the scar. She watched that scar for a while, maybe it unnerved him, her eyes staring into his face, pleading. Maybe he wanted her eyes removed out of guilt... Kate pushed the memories away as quickly as they'd begun to rush back. She moved to hold her head which was giving her a splitting headache, especially just behind her eyes.
 
Kate was different than other religious people he'd met. She didn't take everything as literal as most others and didn't act superior about her beliefs. She was humble, live and let live. "Not all of my scars are self inflicted." He replied. "I'd show you but in your condition..." He let the statement hang. "If heaven and hell aren't actual places, then what happens when we die?" Austin shook his head. "That's a dumb question, considering where we are." He gave another pause. "Do you remember anything? Like seeing an afterlife or something? I just had a couple nightmares. Not much else."

Austin was distracted by his speech and he didn't notice Kate until he'd stopped speaking. She was holding her head in her hands and looked to be in a lot of pain. Austin thought about getting up and going over to her but decided against it. Instead he asked her: "are you ok?"
 
"The one with the scar...of course he'd want my eyes. He felt too vulnerable when I looked up at him while he...I shouldn't have stared at his scar for so long!" Kate whispered to herself. She felt like daggers were in her eye sockets, poking into her skull painfully. She squeezed her head, tears rolling down her cheeks. "I don't know your name...please, please could you find something for the pain?"
 
David felt calm enough to leave his room. Something about that kid had gotten to him. When he opened his door to see April waiting anxiously outside of Kate's door with no sign of Austin his stomach dropped. "What's going on?" He asked April. She explained the situation and it took all of David's will power not to barge into the room. This was clearly some kind of ploy by the teen to get something. Maybe he was trying to take advantage of Kate? David's mind whirled with the possible evil things Austin could be doing.

David watched the door spring open and Austin rush out yelling: "I need a MeRP!" David didn't wait another second before he pounced on Austin slamming him into the wall. "What did you do to her you son of a bitch!?" David yelled in the teens face. David was surprised when the boy showed no fear or hesitation in his reply. "Nothing fuck face! Something's wrong with her eyes!" Austin pushed David away and ran down the hall towards the med bay. David scrambled into Kate's bedroom and he felt April hot on his heals. David saw Kate doubled over in pain clutching her head. "Kate! What's wrong!? Did he hurt you!?" David asked fear in his voice.
 
Kate heard David through the noise in her head and searing pain in her eye sockets. "No. No, he was a perfect gentleman, never touched me. He stayed acrossed the room...Owe!...It's my head, my eyes...they hurt so bad!" She was trying to be strong but the pain was too much! Kate wrapped her arms around David's neck and sobbed against his shoulder.

April sat beside her, rubbing her back, trying to calm her down. "Kate, Ludwig went to get a MeRP. They'll take care if the pain. It'll be alright."
 
Austin ran into the med bay and went to the first MeRP he saw. "Quick! Something's wrong with Kate's eyes!" Austin ran back towards the crew quarters stoping for a second to make sure the MeRP was following him. He ran into Kate's room to see her arms wrapped around David sobbing into his chest. He felt his face contort in anger at the sight but he quickly hid the feeling behind a blank face.

Austin stood aside as the MeRP entered the room and floated over to Kate. It gave her a dosage of pain killers and a small amount of sedative. Austin left once he saw that David and April were taking care of Kate. He went to his room slamming the door in anger. "Why am I angry?" He wondered. Then he realized the better question was: "what am I angry about?" Austin shook his head to clear his anger. When that didn't help he slammed his fist into the wall. "Fuck!" He shouted in pain. He threw himself onto his bed clutching his hand, and eventually fell into a fitful sleep.
 
April and David helped the sleeping woman into her bed. As David tucked Kate in, April removed Kate's slippers and tucked her feet beneath the duvet. She then led David out of the former nuns' room. "I see Luwig von Beethoven disappeared after actually doing something nice." She noted, checking the main living area for books. "No books!?" But, saw the tablets. "I hope these have decent literature libraries...Oh, and I hope the tv's good."
 
"I still don't trust that punk" David said to April, following her into the common room. He noticed a pool table in the corner of the room. "How the hell did I miss that?" David thought walking over to the pool table. He then saw a small opening in the floor and realized that the table could be stored in the floor. David grabbed a pool cue from the rack and turned to April. "Up for a round? I used to be pretty good back in the day."
 
Yuet Zhu had been doing her first crazy American thing when it happened. On her nineteenth birthday her cousin Bo and two nice blonde girls who were friends with Bo, attended her community college, and spoke English too fast for Yuet to understand, skipped class for the first time ever to go surfing on the Pacific Ocean waves. Bo herself had only tried surfing a handful of times and was far from expert. Those other two girls, Mandy and Lori, or something like that...They said they surfed all the time. Mandy' s cute older brother was an instructor and he'd met them at the nearly empty beach to teach them on their day of playing hookie.

Yuet hadn't been in the water more than ten minutes before she was certain she was out of her league. Mandy' s brother was so focused on flirting with Bo (and the other two alternated between mocking the two Chinese girl's English/Chinese babble and ignoring them completely) that nobody was really helping Yuet learn to surf these monster waves properly. It was all over before she'd even really balanced well on her first properly good wave. Before she knew it, she was tossed like a ragdoll right into the seabed. The wind knocked out of her lungs and replaced by sandy salt water and horrendous pain as her borrowed board pelted her head hard into a rock...

Awakening in some strange medical facility, she sputtered and vomited more sand and water. A MeRC said something unintelligible to her ("Oh, more damn English. I hate English. I'm so bad at it...") She thought as she was injected with something and drifted back to sleep and nightmares of blood and ocean water in the far too distant California sun...
 
Last edited:
"I still don't trust that punk" David said to April, following her into the common room. He noticed a pool table in the corner of the room. "How the hell did I miss that?" David thought walking over to the pool table. He then saw a small opening in the floor and realized that the table could be stored in the floor. David grabbed a pool cue from the rack and turned to April. "Up for a round? I used to be pretty good back in the day."


April smiled and shrugged, "I suck at pool but I'll play. I'm not tired yet." She admitted.

The sound of female screams yelling in a foreign language made them both startle. She looked in the direction of the sound. "Medical Bay...maybe someone else will be joining us soon." April guessed.
 
OOC: do you want me to post now or are you planning another post with Kate or April? Also should I make a third character?
 
OOC: nevermind you already posted with April, but my question about character three still stands.
 
Only if you think you can handle it. I don't mind if you prefer just working with the two you've got.
 
OOC: ok. To be honest I don't know if I'm ready to deal with three characters yet. I'll stick with two for now and maybe add some in the future. Also what does Yuet look like?

IC: David was testing the weight of the pool cue when he heard shouting from the med bay. He turned to April with a concerned look on his face. "Should we go in there and try to help, or do you think the MeRPs have it handled?" David asked with an anxious edge in his voice. He hated the thought of sitting idle when someone needed help, but he also didn't want to get in the way of the MeRPs.
 
Back
Top