The Lady of Skye (closed)

"We've barely known each other a month," Matthias reminded, looking to his sister. He sighed quietly. "Of course I care about her. She has nothing and no one, at least no one good. No person deserves a life like what she's had."
 
“Mat, you have spent your life closing yourself off from the wonderful experience that love is. I applaud your sense of duty to Skye but it’s time you experience this new thing. She may be wounded and fragile, but I have never seen you come this alive around anyone before.” Kitty said softly, watching as her brother warred with himself over going to Rosie and letting her be. “Give this a chance.”
 
"Weren't you one of the ones worried her position would break my heart?" Matthias countered finally, fixing her with a calm gaze. He knew she and their mother had been worried, Lucina had even warned him about getting too close.
 
“I still am.” Kitty answered honestly as her brother leveled her with that gaze that spoke volumes. “My life is chaos. It will never get better. I know what it is like to be married to a wounded person and I know what it’s like to be in love with the most perfect person in the world. I have no authority to speak on your love life, Mat. However, I don’t want to see you old and alone.”
 
"Being alone isn't a bad thing. Some people are fine on their own," Matthias murmured, considering quietly whether he was one of those people. Finally, wordlessly, he rose and made his way down the hall.

A light knock sounded on Rosie's door, followed by Matthias' voice. "Rosie?"
 
Rosie wanted to tell him to go away, to leave her alone, but she couldn’t bring herself to be that rude. When she answered the door, her eyes were swollen and red, her nose in the same state as she looked up at Matthias and then moved aside so he could step in.

“I’ll leave as soon as i can. And I’ll repay you for everything that your family has done for me.” She blurted out, wanting so badly to just run away in disgrace. “I didn’t know any of this, Matthias. I swear that I didn’t.”
 
"Hold on, slow down," Matthias took her gently by her shoulders. "Talk to me, Rosie... Tell me what you're thinking. I'm not letting you run and hide on your own."
 
"I can't stay here, Matthias. I can't stay here knowing how I was born, what my parents were, and who I was." Rosie muttered, unable to look him in the eye. "I still don't even know what's true and what isn't. I don't remember my father or that man that came today. I just know the wolf that paid for me to get onto that boat. I just don't remember..."
 
"And what good will running away do you? You're safe here, Rosie. Outside of this place, Raul will find you and I won't be able to do anything about it. And moreover, that Wolf clearly knew you, and he loves you. Wouldn't it be better to know the family you lost and forgot? Your origins don't matter, Rosie, not to anyone worth your time."
 
"He left me in that place. My Ma died because of it." She said miserably, thinking about what he had said about everything. "Why should I listen to anything that they have to say? I was ruined because of all of that."
 
"Did you hear Tauren at all, love?" Matthias asked in confusion. "Your father has been looking for you all of this time, and he found you and got you out. You're here because he loved you enough to raise a fortune for your freedom. And he sent you to an Uncle who adores you, even if you can't remember him." He sighed. "Listen... I know you're hurt, and I know I can't begin to grasp the scope of that hurt. But I'm asking you not to give up this chance to know what you forgot. From my perspective, it sounds like you and your mother went through hell, taken away from a man who loved you, and he couldn't find you in time to save you both. But you're here, you're alive, and you're safe from Raul in these walls. Isn't that worth giving your father and his brother a chance? At least don't run before we hear from this Adrin."
 
Rosie couldn’t help it as she started to cry in earnest, so confused, overwhelmed, and ashamed at everything that had happened. This wasn’t how she wanted Matthias to find out about her birth. This wasn’t how she wanted anyone to find out that she had been born and raised in a whorehouse, the product of a transaction instead of Love, even if love had happened after.
 
Matthias sighed softly, hugging Rosie close. "You're going to be okay, sweetheart... I promise." He drew her over toward her bed, sitting her down and holding her as long as she needed.
 
Rosie cried until there was nothing else left inside. By the time she finished, she was left with the hiccups, sniffling as she finally lifted her head and dawn the mess that she made of Matthias’s shirt.

“I’m sorry. I seem to cry all the time.” She said softly, partly in apology and partly in comment on her mental state.
 
"Don't apologize. There's a lot of emotion to get out." Matthias pulled a kerchief from his chest pocket to dry her cheeks. "I just need to make sure you'll be okay."
 
"I don't know." Rosie answered softly as Matthias took the moment to dry her cheeks. "I wish I could say yes, but I don't know."
 
"I don't need an answer now. But I do want to ask you to give this Wolf a chance. Odds are if Raul got here so fast, he didn't stay behind to deal with Adrin. Adrin is probably on his way. Give him a moment of your time, see if you can remember anything when you meet him. You might find he's worth your attention, even if he has a lot of explaining to do. From what Tauren has said... it sounds like your father used to be a real troublemaker, and he turned it around for you. I think a man like that deserves some consideration."
 
"I can try." Rosie said softly as Matthias made her promise that she would give these wolves a chance to explain and to get to know her. "I can't guarantee that I'll be able to remember or that I'll be able to forgive, but I can try."
 
"What about Raul?" Rosie asked softly as she slowly placed her head back on Matthias's shoulder, soaking in the confidence and strength that he seemed to radiate around him. "What if he does something to you or your family? I'm not worth the fight."

Kitty was walking down the hallway after getting something to drink before bed when she paused a short way away from the half open door to Rosie's room. She saw two little figures, crouched and listening intently to what was happening in the room.

"Ashien. Kayla. You know better than to spy." Kitty said softly, the little figures jumping and scurrying away from the door and looking up at their mother.

"We weren't spying." Kayla said quickly, nudging her twin to agree with her.

"And I don't tolerate lying, Kayla Skye." Kitty said, crossing her arms and staring down at the children.
 
"No more of that," Matthias muttered. "I won't stand for you talking like that about yourself." He hugged her a little tighter then.


Ashien quietly looked up at his mother, adding quietly, "We were worried about Miss Rosie..."
 
"You talk as if you have feelings for me." Rosie said softly as Matthias hugged her a little tighter, telling her that he didn't want to hear her talk about herself as if she were worthless.

"I understand that you enjoy her, love, but she and your uncle have important things to discuss without little ears listening." Kitty said softly, touching Ashien's cheek as he answered her honestly.
 
"Don't worry about that for right now. There's already too much on your plate," Matthias muttered more concerned with her well-being than any kind of attraction.
 
Rosie didn't say anything to that as Matthias never confirmed or denied that he felt something for her. She simply hugged him a little tighter, feeling safe in his arms in a way that she hadn't ever felt safety before.

It was a few days later when Rosie was with the children that a servant came to get her, asking that she come to the library to meet with Martin and Matthias. She could hear the yelling before they even reached the doors and when it was opened for her, she stopped dead in her tracks as she saw Raul ragging at a calm looking Martin as Matthias and Tamblin stood behind him as imposing figures.

As the door behind her closed, Rosie suddenly felt trapped, rooted to her spot and unable to move like a small animal in danger.
 
"This is not Spain, nor is this place under jurisdiction of the Catholic Church. Even if it was, she would not be returning to you," Martin explained calmly and firmly to Raul. "You are dangerous and clearly a criminal, caught trespassing and attempting to kidnap Rosie. You have no rights on my isle."

Matthias was focused on Raul til he saw Rosie, and he quickly moved to put himself between the two while Tamblin watched the entire situation with a cold, calculating gaze.
 
Back
Top