how do you find people willing to volunteer to edit?

HighSierra

Virgin
Joined
Jul 28, 2015
Posts
2
I'm looking for a group of people to give input, (aka - proof reading, editing, feedback) on stories, (book length). Any advice on how to find them?
 
Depends what you're looking for.
I had very good luck by submitting a story into a contest a while back and including a note that I was looking for a volunteer editor. Three people responded and I contacted the first two, both of whom volunteered to edit my stories (at great personal sacrifice - they were reading my writing after all). I think my note was at the end of my story, under the clever idea that if they were actually able to read through one entire story they might be able to survive more. Both kind souls were a huge help in improving my grammar, spelling, etc. However, it was a temporary writer/editor relationship and they've since moved on.
I've also posted 'asking for an editor' on the Editor's forum. Each time there's been at least one response within a day or two. I've given a brief description of the story so the editor knows what they're getting into. That's been hit or miss in terms of quality. My most recent editor was extremely good, and others have been quite good, while one either didn't dedicate much of his/her time to my story or just missed a lot of errors.
Good luck.
 
Back
Top