Can someone tell me what’s wrong with this?

Wildheart107

Virgin
Joined
Aug 26, 2018
Posts
6
So my latest story got rejected. This was the quoted reason:

While we do accept submissions with graphic violence, we don't accept "snuff" - i.e. death & extreme torture with the aim of sexual titillation. We generally do not accept submissions of nonconsensual sex in which the "victim" gets absolutely no sort of thrill or enjoyment from the acts, or is seriously and /or permanently physically harmed/abused.

However there was no graphic violence, no death or torture, the “victim” (if you could call her that) wasn’t permanently or seriously harmed or abused and actually enjoyed herself in the end. So what was wrong? While the single sex scene in the story wasn’t completely consensual, it wasn’t forced or anything, it was just a bit reluctant. What’s the point in a reluctance/non consensual category if it’s not allowed? Maybe I’m missing something?
 
Last edited:
I didn't look at the story, because leading folks to stories on other Web sites by URL is against the rules here, but initial selection is done by quick scan, not full read. If you don't think your story has what it was rejected for, you could just resubmit it from where it now sits with a note in the notes box that you don't have any of that in the story and if Laurel (the sole editor here) thinks so, for her please to point it out (phrased politely, because she has the right/power to reject simply on perceived bad attitude). I've had a few rejections over the years and only once having to rewrite (putting a URL, even a fake one, in the story--a rule I wasn't aware of at the time). Every other rejection has resulted in the story being accepted as originally written. It may just be a "maybe" from quick scanning problem.
 
I’ve had two stories in the past rejected with exactly the same standard phrase. In both cases I resubmitted with a polite explanation in the notes as to why the rejection was, in my opinion, wrong. In both instances the stories were subsequently published without alteration.

Laurel can only, because of the vast amount of submissions, give them a cursory look. Consequently okay stories sometimes get rejected. By the same token stories that should be refused sometimes slip through the same net.
 
I have also had a story rejected for this reason, but it was because of how I described the scene. A character was unconscious and another character was giving her a bath, there was some blood involved (that wasn’t theirs) but in the end the scene summed up as a “crime scene” which made it snuff because of naked chick in the bathtub.

So just make sure no sex with dead people, no people dying from sex. The death of a character is fine, as long as it isn’t exceedingly graphic (or as a result of sex).
 
Back
Top