Prophecy of Ruin or Salvation (closed for heartofcourage)

Bryn's smile was luminous as Valius took her hands and pulled her near. She knew that everyone was watching them but she didn't have a care in the world. If he had pulled her into his arms, she would have gone willingly. It was very apparent that she only had eyes for him and she was intent on making him happy as they started their lives together.

"Enna had this gown made for me in Al'Tir." She murmured as she glanced down at the garment that she was wearing. "She said that it was the height of fashion here. I suppose that as a future queen I have to look the part."

She did dare to lean forward, pressing a chaste kiss to his cheek before she took a step away as the footmen began announcing the lesser nobles to the room beyond. A soft smile crossed her lips as she looked into Valius's gaze.

"And Papa had this tiara special made for me as a gift. It reminds me of the wedding ring that I wear around my throat." She commented, as Heather and Cat made their appearance in the anteroom. "You must comment on Cat this evening. She is a little shy after I let her pick out a few pieces from my jewelry box. I don't think she knew she could look like such a beautiful little lady."
 
"You'd look like a queen in rags," he said and meant every word. There was something about Bryn; a powerful presence that he'd felt the first time he'd seen her in the great hall of Aldor's palace, when the nobles of the Fire Nation had bent their knees to this unknown slip of a girl. It went beyond regal but encompassed it well enough; that sense of powerful purpose and of divine purity of will.

She was holy to the people of her homeland. She was to him too, in a way. Would she become a living goddess here in Ithilien? He hoped not; he wished her revered and loved but as the amazing woman she was and not a distant holy relic.

The tiara was of fine work but he had little time to admire it. Heather and Cat entered and he blinked in surprise. Heather was, of course, a radiant and healthy beauty as she always was but it was her daughter that was startling. The feisty ragamuffin was looking elegant and demure, every inch the little lady. She was a beautiful child and was sure to become a radiant woman but she usually looked tumbled and scruffy, largely on purpose. Now she did indeed look as lovely outside as her heart was.

He glanced down at Bryn, “If it comes with any alteration to her temperament as well as her appearance, Heather may challenge me to the juris macto for your hand.” It was no secret that the noblewoman loved her daughter but had been frustrated by the girl’s almost outright refusal to have anything to do with genteel pursuits or learning.

The chamber quickly emptied as names were called briefly and with little pomp. The border folk, even the noble ones, wearied of ceremony quickly. All here, save for Gram’s family, were of minor nobility at best, some having been raised to that position within the current generation. Unlike some of the older and more established families in the interior, they held themselves much the same as commoners. Well to do and educated commoners, certainly, but there were few airs and formalities.

Each group presented themselves first to the ladies of the house at the entrance to the hall and then were called within. They’d be met by Gram and his sons, saw a few words, and then be shown to their seats by one of the lord’s own sons rather than by a servant. The servants had real work to do.

Shortly, they were the only group left. Claudius went before them. The grizzled old ranger looked as respectable as he ever did in his dress uniform and he bowed to Heather and Cat both. “Knight Captain Claudius,” the herald called from within. The older man sighed, never happy with even briefly being in the spotlight, and went ahead.

Valius and Bryn drew up to the ladies of Eastgate. “Countess Heather, Lady Catherine.” The little girl seemed to perk up; both excited and perhaps alarmed at Valius using her full name rather than either nickname. “Between the two of you, we could have no better welcome than the sight of the greatest beauties the mountains hold.”

Heather’s smile was warm and only a little pleased. She did like to be flattered by handsome young men, she had to admit. Though she still found it hard to think of the young king as anything more than a boy. “Until Her Grace came among us, perhaps. I’m happy to have you in my home, my dear boy, and of course, your betrothed.” She looked at Bryn with approval in her eyes, “I hope to get to know you better soon, Your Grace. I’m a stranger now, but you’re already dear to me. Don’t ever hesitate to ask me for anything, especially is this young cub of a king needs brought in line.”

Valius cleared his throat and looked down at Cat. “Kitten, you’re dazzling. I always knew you would be, if you took the effort.”
 
Bryn smiled at Valius as he told her that she would look beautiful even in rags. She knew that he saw her as a beautiful creature, one that was worthy enough to be his wife and lover. It meant even more to her that he didn't treat her as anything but a human. She wasn't a god to him. She wasn't even something to be hidden away from view. She was simply the woman that would be his wife.

"All it took was a few pretty baubles and a braid in her hair and little Cat was as pretty as she could ever be." Bryn said with a smile, already planning to send the little girl more of those pretty little things once she got her inheritance from her new lands. "Every little girl just wants to be given a chance. Her family sees her as the little ragamuffin who is precocious. Sometimes it just takes a fresh look to see what someone really is."

She let Valius pull her towards Heather and Cat as they waited their turn to be introduced. Bryn smiled towards Heather as she insisted that she could help her if she ever needed advice to keep Valius in line. Everyone was being so sweet to her and it nearly brought tears to her eyes.

"I might very well take you up on that offer, Lady Heather." Bryn said with a smile as she gave Valius's hand a squeeze before he turned his attentions towards Cat.

The little girl looked so shy as Valius praised her appearance. She actually blushed as she mumbled a soft thank you. Kneeling down to Cat's level, Bryn gave the little girl a soft smile and reached out to touch her cheek gently.

"You are the beauty of the ball tonight, Lady Catherine. Never let anyone tell you otherwise or make you feel like less than what you are." Bryn said softly, giving the little girl a secret wink before the steward opened the door and nodded that he was ready for them all to enter.
 
There was a rumbling screech as chairs and benches moved in the hall even before they were announced; the assembled worthies knew well what it meant as Heather and Cat swept into the room. The two took up their position with the rest of the family.

The herald thumped the floor hard with the butt of his cane and from somewhere there was the blare of a trumpet, playing a short fanfare that had an unusually somber and mournful quality to it; the fanfare of this young orphaned king chosen in the depths of his grief. "His Majesty King Valius Argetlam of Ithilien!" He had other titles but thus was not so formal a court for more to be read than that. "And with him, Duchess Bryn Alerum of the Fire Nation, his betrothed!"

"Hail Valius, King of the Green," Gram called out as the young monarch and his stunning bride entered the hall. Everyone present was on their feet. "Hail Bryn, Lady of Water and Flame, our queen to be!" He sank to one knee, as did his sons, Heather and Cat curtseying deeply and bent at the waist.

"Hail!" The cry went up from the throats of all gathered. All who were in ranger's garb, whether on duty or not, knelt on one knee as Gram had. The men, and those women who had chosen to wear trousers, bowed low with a fist pressed to their hearts; those in dresses curtsying.

Valius raised the arm not linked with Bryn's, "Hail and well met, my people and my friends! Rise now and stand straight, for this is not a gathering of solemn formality but to rejoice! Be seated, worthies all, and let us do so among you as I have longed to be since I passed the mountains and went down to the fire so many weeks ago."

The assembled diners let out a final "Hail" and then there was a great general noise as seats were re-taken and people risked making comments to their neighbors. Gareth came to the royal couple and bowed, his face flushing as he seemed hard pressed to look away from Bryn. "Your Majesty, Your Grace, follow me to your high seat please."
 
Bryn was a bit startled with all of the noise that surrounded them as they stepped into the room of Valius's peers and people. Al'Tir was more somber and reserved as the royal family was announced, but it seemed that here in the land of green and water, they were more vocal when greeting their royal family. She did manage a glance towards Dax, her guard looking at her with a blonde brow arched and a shrug of his shoulders as if he hadn't a clue about their traditions either.

"Lady of Fire and Water? That certainly sounds like a serious title." Bryn teased in a whisper towards Valius before he bade all of those gathered to take their seats for the feast to begin. "Remind me to thank Gram later for my new name."

Her laughter was soft and light as Gareth came to them, bowing low and blushing slightly as he asked to take them to their seats. It seemed that Gram's boys had eyes for her and Bryn had to smile slightly at the thought. She was sure that there would be many noblemen out there that would do the same when they first met her if what Valius had told her was true. With him at her side, she really could believe that she was absolutely beautiful.

"Thank you, Gareth. You have been the perfect gentleman." Bryn said as they were shown to their seats on the raised dais next to the open windows.

A soft breeze fluttered the gauzy curtains and she could hear the rushing of the river beyond. The air had a fresh, crisp quality to it along with the heavy scent of pine from just beyond the river. It was so different from home, but Bryn was quickly finding a special spot in her heart for this new land.
 
Valius' smile was bemused, "The old bear has a flair for the dramatic, though he pretends otherwise." The impromptu title blended her heritages and placed them in a strong light as well. It had a ring to it and he was sure they'd hear it again. As Gram intended, likely. A way to shape intent and respect before she'd even arrived, as word of this would speed ahead of them as an arrow from a string.

As they sat, he leaned over, "You'll have many admirers before the night is done. I shall be greatly envied." The Hadrils took their seats now and the servants came forward to place and then serve the food. Gram clearly wanted to make an impression; there was roasted pork, lamb, and venison as well as a stew of goat seasoned with herbs. Apples were set out simply picked as well as sliced and roasted. Beets, carrots, and potatoes were the most common vegetables as roots grew well even in the cold heights of the mountains. There was a berry and sweet cream trifle for dessert and the servers carried pitchers of wine, cider, and a dark beer brewed by the Countess herself.

Music played as the meal began, a small group of musicians playing on stringed instruments and a few woodwinds with a lone wooden flute. It was upbeat yet quiet; to be enjoyed with conversation rather than overtaking it.

There was a soft buzz of speech but it was mostly eating now. Generally everyone would have a little and then those who wished would rise to walk about or trade seats with others to talk. Valius watched his fiancee as she took in the various foods before them and the tables of unfamiliar folk. "If you're unsure, ask me of anything. I like to think our ways are simple but no doubt strange all the same."
 
"Well, when it comes time for me to start setting up our combined household, we can add more red and blue to your colors. It would certainly combine the best of both of us." Bryn said with a fond smile up at Valius as the meal was served.

The amount of food that was placed at their table was staggering. A wide assortment of new foods and scents found their way to her nose, teasing her with many new experiences. She had never seen a beet before nor the berry and sweet cream dish that was placed in front of her. It all made her head spin slightly as Valius offered to help her with anything she didn't know.

"I don't think of new experiences as strange. Perhaps unexpected." Bryn said softly as she took a small amount of each dish, trying what was before them to discover what she liked there in her new home.

The beets made her wrinkle her nose, the taste bitter and strange on her tongue. Everything else was welcome and she very much enjoyed the berries and cream. It was all very different from Al'Tir, but she would try her hardest to find new joy in this new place.

"What is your favorite food?" She asked Valius, turning her head slightly to look at him. "I enjoy the little crabs that are caught in Alerum. Papa always made sure that we had them on my birthday. My grandmother cooked them in fresh cream and butter, seasoning them with salt from the sea. It's probably one of my favorite things in the world."
 
It was delight to watch her face as she examined and tried the offered provinder. The way her nose wrinkled at the beets was absolutely adorable; yet he understood, in a way. They could take some getting used to. He hadn't cared for them as a child though he didn't mind them now.

"Crabs, my Bryn?" He wasn't sure if he'd be able to import the kind she was talking about or not. Alerum, from what he knew of geography, was on the far side of Al'Tir from Ithilien. Perhaps a trade ship could be sent from the north...he'd have to look into the matter. "We do get crabs from the fisheries to the north, though I doubt not that they are not the same as what creatures dwell in the warm waters of Alerum. There are others from the rivers, seas, and lakes; clams, oysters, claw shrimp, and the like. Perhaps we'll have to make it a point to get some for you to try."

He shrugged, "I don't know that I really have a favorite food. Things that I love a great deal, yes, but one dish above all others?"

"He never was too picky an eater," Heather agreed, "he tended to inhale whatever was put in front of him. I wonder if he tasted it half the time."

"And I don't know who you think you're fooling, Your Majesty," Gram added. "We knew you back when." The older man looked at Bryn, "Chicken, Your Grace. Chicken, especially with mushrooms or a mushroom sauce. He'd eat it every day of the week if he could."

He gave the two border nobles a sour look but then shrugged again, "They're not wrong, really. I do love a well cooked bird, but I don't have half the appetite for it that Veri does, now she-"

He cut himself off and his face darkened. His little sister loved chicken, especially cooked deep in oil. It was one of the surest ways one could mollify her if she was out of sorts or bring a smile to her face.

Valius suddenly felt less hungry and the company seemed almost an intrusion. The roar of the endlessly running river from outside grew in his mind until it almost blotted out the music and conversation. The water was loud and cold. He was the only one to escape and it knew it. It wanted him back; water was ever greedy.

The young king took a breath and made himself speak again, "But yes. There you have it. Chicken and mushrooms, the secret to a king's contentment." He struggled to push the black mood away; this was not the time, not the place for it. But thinking of Veri...she'd have loved this get together. She'd enjoyed Eastgate more than any of them. And Bryn...how he wished she could have known his Bryn.

Heather coughed softly, trying to push things past the awkward moment. "So Your Grace, that way you've braided your hair is simple wonderful! I've never seen anything like it! We do some braiding but nothing so elaborate."
 
"Crabs. I know it sounds strange for a desert dweller, but they are my absolute favorite. I don't get them very often, so perhaps that's why I think of them so fondly." Bryn said with a smile on her features as Valius talked about finding other things for her to try as well there in Ithilien.

Bryn glanced towards Gram and Heather with a smile as they gave her the secrets that Valius had. Chicken with mushrooms. It was a thing that she would file away for a later time. She intended to find out what his favorite things were in order to use them when he fell into his melancholy moods. Foods, candies, books, music...it was all things that could soothe an aching heart.

When Valius talked about his sister, she watched him pause. That dark look fell over his handsome features and he went eerily quiet. Bryn paused in her eating, watching him closely as he withdrew and grew tense. She could only imagine that losing his family in such a tragic way still effected him. He had trouble seeing that he was a great ruler and that his people loved and respected him. Topped off with the ache that he held at losing his entire family, Valius was a very wounded soul.

Very carefully, she reached beneath the table and took his hand in her own, giving it a squeeze as he slowly returned to her. She watched as he pushed those horrible thoughts away and tried to remain cheerful not only for the occasion but also for her.

She was about to speak when Heather interrupted, asking her about her braids. "We are taught in Al'Tir from a very young age how to braid our hair. Some older women in the tribes will have many braids interwoven in their hair. The only person that is truly allowed to see your hair unbraided is your husband."
 
Heather tilted her head to one side as she inspected the magnificent hair style. "It's impressive, and quite fetching, Your Grace. I can appreciate a refined tradition like that one. Our own can be a bit...graceless in some ways."

Valius smiled, "Perhaps she'll start a new trend or more. It's not common but customs can change. They all started somewhere." The bleakness he'd felt was not gone but he had managed to push it away for the moment. It was difficult not to sink into it fully but the needs of the situation and his station helped. But not nearly as much as Bryn's small hand under the table held in his own.

What strength she had that in this new and strange place, she could lend him some. Every day she astonished him more.

Gram chuckled, "I don't mind our traditions. And neither did you, if I remember rightly," he gave his wife a nudge with one arm.

She sniffed, "I don't know what you're talking about." The stunning older woman's eyes danced merrily as she gave her husband a fond look. "You tried to follow many of our customs but I recall your ventures didn't go quite as you recall." She smiled, "But that's a conversation for later on, hmm?"

Valius looked at the rather panicked expressions on the faces of the couple's sons and the confused expression on Cat and silently agreed. "Well, then. I'm sure there's news to be heard and many questions to be asked." And likely many of them would be asked and answered several times before the night was out. "We're at your disposal, my hosts."

It was Gareth who spoke up first, surprising Valius. The boy was always quiet. "Your Majesty, I've heard that...you've seen dragons." He blinked and flushed then as if suddenly becoming aware that he'd spoken and now everyone was looking at him. "Ah, it's a rumor since you got here. And well, I was riding with the scouts a few days ago and we...we saw something away over the desert. It was far off but it wasn't moving the way the clouds down there were. It was big and, well, I didn't know what else it could be after hearing the rumors."

The young monarch raised his brows, "Rumor outflies the storm and burns faster that wildfire." He could tell he had the table's attention now, not just Gram's family but the others seated at that high table. "What you've heard, Gareth, is true." The conversation all about them had hushed as he went on. "When I presented myself in the palace of Aldor, King of the Al'Tir that we call the Fire Nation, that same night a dragon was seen. All in the palace, all in the city, saw it. It was...a sight I cannot do justice to. The beast was massive and mighty enough to crack mountains and yet looked graceful as a serpent. It was in brown and green." There was a slight stir at that. "It was taken as an omen that our mission to Al'Tir would be of fantastic consequence, for good or for ill."
 
"Please trust me when I say that I'm not looking to change any customs here in Ithilien. I find this country very charming in its own way." Bryn said softly as Valius smiled and seemed to be in a better mood. "I would be more than happy to show anyone how to braid their hair if they wish."

All attention was given to Gareth as he asked about the dragon that had been seen. It was clear that the young boy was taken by the thought of the great beast that had been so close to his home. It struck Bryn that it was a rare treat to see one of the dragons up close as she had. She dreamed of dragons and she saw them when she closed her eyes. Perhaps it was an omen for good that she had seen on with Valius that very first night.

"It might seem a little strange, but we believe that a dragon is a harbinger. The dragon brought rain to the desert when we needed it the most. It brought Valius to me as well." Bryn said, giving her fiancee a fond smile. "Perhaps one day you will be able to see one on your own, Gareth."
 
The young nobleman flushed a bit as his future queen and current crush spoke to him. Valius couldn't help but smile back at Bryn, his eyes meeting her shockingly blue orbs. For several seconds he did not speak but simply held her gaze and let his eyes speak for his heart.

Their silent speech went on and began to be noticed. Many of the ladies who observed felt a rush of romantic rapture and more than a few sighed. Most expressions were pleased overall; they were glad to see their king so clearly in love. Some were annoyed and the younger ones just confused.

Valius finally spoke again, "You may see one, indeed. For we saw another of the grand creatures while crossing the desert."

That stirred conversation again. A dragon was one thing but two within weeks of each other? Valius was not a religious or superstitious man but many of his people were. Gram looked awed, "Two? By the gods, what does it mean?"

The young monarch felt a surge of annoyance. He disliked talk of signs or omens. "It means two dragons had places to be and chanced to draw near us on their way."

The older man looked at his king, "You shouldn't brush it aside, Your Majesty. I know your feelings on such matters but you're king now. You can't ignore such signs just because you're not comfortable with them, Sire."

Valius eyes narrowed and his body grew tense. "Is that so? And shall I cast auguries to determine which laws are fit for the nation? Or perhaps a divining crystal to tell where the stone for the new Great Bridge should come from?" A small part of him knew he was being harsh but his temper ignored it. He did not like to be told how to be a king in public by anyone, behind closed doors perhaps but Gram's words felt like an accusation. "Unless they start raiding our herds or demanding our virgins, the dragons mean nothing. A marvelous, dangerous, and rare creature seen from afar but no more "meaning" than if a bear wandered through the yard."
 
Staring into Valius's clear, strong gaze, Bryn felt herself falling deeper in love. He was a good man, an honest man, one that loved her deeply. He had a slightly morose side to him, but she hoped in time her love and attention could draw him out of that darkness and into the light. He deserved to be happy since he had experienced so much tragedy.

A slow, soft smile spread across Bryn's lips as Valius stared into her gaze. She wanted to kiss him, her fingers itching to sink into his thick hair as their lips pressed against one another. Waiting for a wedding seemed like the worst idea in the world right then. She wanted to be able to kiss him whenever she liked without fear of what others would say.

The moment was broken as Valius spoke again, telling the young man that he might see a dragon as they had spotted another on the desert crossing. The rare creatures were moving across the desert, perhaps towards the mountains to spend the rest of the hot summer or to the sea to hunt for fish bigger than they were. It was dreamy to think about the large, scaly beasts doing idle things.

Bryn was a little stunned at the narrow of Valius's eyes towards Gram and the harsh tone in his voice as he spoke like a petulant child who was railing against authority. He had a temper that was swift and harsh like a summer storm, but he would calm quickly and ask for forgiveness just as quick. Bryn glanced towards Heather and then at Gram, struggling to find a way to solve this tense situation.

"The dragons were probably looking for food or cooler weather. It's been hot in the desert and the food has been scarce for man and beast alike." Bryn murmured softly. "You might even see on fly this way towards the mountains if you're lucky."
 
Heather could see her husband's temper gathering as well and felt a moment of deep frustration towards both men. Honestly! She seized on Bryn's quiet comment, "It is true that the mountains shelter many strange and wild beasts, Your Grace. I expect you are right; even the dragons may find a cooler and more welcome home here than the desert." She glanced at Gram, "When was the last dragon seen here, darling?"

The older man frowned, aware of what his wife was doing but not entirely wishing to be mollified. "It would be three hundred years about, I'd say. In the time of the sire of my line, the first Hadril Count of Eastgate. They say a dragon dwelled in the high peaks near here and its' presence scared the most dangerous predators away." He liked telling stories of his family's history, as his wife well knew, and warmed to it. He knew he had been manipulated but there was no point in being angry about it. After all, it was best to avoid conflict with Valius. They'd speak about in council another day. "The crown hadn't settled the land here for fear of angering the dragon but the mountains needed secured and there was wealth here. As well as the way east. So, my great...I don't know how many greats it would be. My ultimate grandfather and grandmother, let's say, brought their people here and set up camp. Then the two of them alone went to the dragon's lair. For three days and nights they bartered with the great beast and then returned with word that the people could stay in these lands as long as they did not hunt the dragon or go to its' lair and if each child of the Hadril line spent their 18th birthday as the dragon's guest."

Valius had heard the story before. It was a charming one; a tale of working with nature rather than against it. He'd always considered it a fable or an allegory. But now that he'd seen two dragons, part of him wondered.

"Oh, boy!" Cat was beaming, "When I grow up I get to visit a dragon? That's great! I can't wait, brothers, you're so lucky to be older!"

Both boys smiled fondly. Gerald, who had been silent up until now, shook his head, "I'm sorry, Kitten, but you'll be disappointed."

"What? Why?"

Valius was the one who answered, "Because when it was time for Count Gram's great-grandfather to spend his day with the dragon, the cavern it lived in was empty. He went and stayed the day but the dragon was nowhere to be seen and never returned." He looked at the wall of the great hall and out one of the vast windows there; out away from the city the peaks of the mountains raised their heads and seemed to loom directly over the gathering. "Every child has continued to go to the cave on their birthday, to honor the bargain and out of tradition, but the dragon has never been there."

Gram nodded, "I went myself when it was my time. A good climb it was, fine test of skill and the cave itself was marvelous...but no dragon." He shrugged, "For the best maybe. I imagine it wouldn't take to me asking where it had been all this time."

The young king looked a bit shamefaced and then went on, hoping to smooth over the earlier discomfort. "I've been to the cave too, when I was younger." The others at the table looked surprised at that. "Del, Veri, and I, one of the times we visited. We went out for a day's ride but our actual goal was to see if the dragon might be there; maybe it was tired of the company so it just left during the birthdays...it made sense to us as kids." He laughed and shrugged, "But no dragon for us either."

Gareth and Gerald exchanged a look. The two boys reminded him of himself and Del; close enough in age to be natural best friends as well as brothers, sometimes communicating without saying a word. Gareth looked around the table, "Do you think...what if one of the dragons you saw was that dragon? What if it's back now?"
 
"It's possible that it has come back. Perhaps it was simply off looking for something." Bryn suggested as the children asked if the dragon might have come back. "And perhaps Eastgate will prosper greatly as he has returned."

She had to smile as the look passed between the two of them. It made her ache for her brother's companionship. He had been one of the kindest men that she had ever had the privilege to know. He was warm towards everyone, price or pauper alike. He had been much older than her, but he never made her feel as if she were any less than his dear sister. His life had been taken in the cruelest way possible and it was still felt in her family.

"Did you know in Alerum, we swim with the dolphins on our 18th birthday? There is always a pod that travels around the island and we have to swim from shore to greet them. They will take you deep into the current and the sea if you are not careful." Bryn murmured, sharing a little bit about the traditions that had been passed down to her from her family heritage. "In Al'Tir, young men will run through the desert to prove that they are ready for adulthood. It is a long and perilous journey and some do not make it back."
 
The possibility of the dragon returning was one he hadn't considered. It was interesting. He began to think about the route to the dragon's cave...could he take the time to visit this trip? Probably not. Even if there was, he shouldn't. The dragon was supposed to be left alone as part of the agreement. What a pity.

He listened to Bryn telling of the coming of age traditions of her two homelands. Swimming with dolphins? It sounded remarkable. The Al'Tir run sounded wasteful to him but it was their way and the desert was a hard land.

Valius spoke up, "We have no particular tradition as a people to come of age. It us the age of adulthood, so many enjoy their first loves then but it is hardly a set thing." He took a long drink and added, "It often coincides with the end of the mandatory term with the Rangers too. I suppose that is as close as we get. Everyone must serve a two year term in the Rangers, though exemptions can be granted, of course."

Gram nodded,"Aye, the Rangers tie us all together that way. Gareth will be leaving for his tour soon."
 
The look that fell over Cat's face made it clear that she was not aware that her beloved older brother was preparing to leave home for Ranger service. She looked first as her father who had mentioned the news and then at her brother who had a calm and proud look on his features. He would be away from home more, meaning that he wouldn't be there to play with her. That thought made the little girl incredibly sad.

Heather saw the look on her young daughter's face and reached out to touch her little arm. They had kept the news from Cat for this very reason. It was a hard thing for a little girl to realize that the brother that she loved so deeply was ready to go out into the world and explore, while she still had a lot of growing up to do. The love between the siblings went deep and ran swiftly. They would all have some adjusting to do when Gareth finally went on his tour of duty.

"Gareth is still waiting to hear what group he will be stationed with for the time being. I believe he is hoping to be placed in one of the larger cities on the coast." Heather murmured, directing the conversation with the ease of a lady who had been in control of her household for a very long time. "I'm hoping he will be here in Eastgate for a while longer. Of course, I'm a mother who is cautious for the safety of her son."
 
Valius recognized the expression on the little girl's face as well. It was a bittersweet thing to see in a child he'd know for her entire life. A first taste of growing up. He smiled at Heather's words, "If only you knew someone highly placed in the government."

Gareth colored deeply, "Sire, I don't need to be so close to home. I want no special consideration."

"And you will have none," Valius answered. "That isn't what I meant, Gareth. You'll be treated the same as any recruit, that's the whole point. But I can make sure you're put somewhere close enough that you could go home on long leave." Or if there was an emergency, though he didn't say that.

Heather smiled at him, "It is still kindly, Your Majesty, though a small thing."

"If I can't do small, kindly things for those dear to me, then what is the point of being king?" He looked over at Cat. The little girl still looked stricken. "I'm sorry, Kitten. This is the way of things. Your brothers are close to being adults and as they grow, so will duty and a life that can't always be spent with charming little sisters. But don't think they'll ever forget you, or not want to be with you. Not a day goes by that I don't think of my little brother and sister and wish desperately that I could have one more hour with them."

Her little face was still sad and sullen, "Growing up stinks. Uh, Sire."

Valius laughed at that and he stood up so he could take a few steps to lean over and kiss the little girl on top of her head, "So it does, my pretty little kitten. But there are benefits as well."

"Like what?"

"You'll see. I can't tell you now or you might start growing up too fast." The young king winked and returned to his seat.

"She's already growing up too fast," Gram said with a fond smile. He was proud to see his sons getting older and ready to take their place as citizens of the realm but his girl...ah, if he could keep her an innocent child forever, he'd be a happy man. "She grows a year every time I turn around."

"Like some others we know," Heather added with a smile at Valius. She was pleased to see his mood shifted. It was also noteworthy that he had spoken of his siblings without the dark mood descending. "To think you're marrying, Sire! You were just a boy yesterday."

"It was a long day," he responded dryly. "But I don't begrudge it, for it has led me to my love." His eyes turned to Bryn and they were bright. He felt a bit foolish saying such things in front of everyone...but to hell with it. "I had not realized I was incomplete before meeting her but now I wish I had grown older even faster and hastened the fulfillment of being betrothed to her."
 
Bryn smiled as she watched Valius talk to Cat, telling her that her brothers going off to service was all part of growing up. Perhaps before she left Eastgate, she would have a talk with Cat in private. She remembered well when Victor had taken his place with the guard...and the day that he had never come home. She was that little girl who worried so much for her older brother, the one that had meant so much to her.

The conversation soon turned and she found herself looking into Valius's honest gaze again. He had a brighter air around him, the sadness from earlier having been chased away by new thoughts. Those thoughts were full of her. Their wedding could not come soon enough for either of them it seemed. She smiled at the thought of being his wife, her blue eyes shining in the excitement of that very idea.

"One thing I have found is that your king is a very sentimental soul." Bryn murmured, reaching out to touch Valius's cheek gently. "I don't know how much I had to do with that, but he is a very dear man to me."

Cat wrinkled her nose at the both of them, young enough to find love gross. She glanced up at her father and then at her mother, crossing her arms over her chest to hunker down in her chair. No one else seemed to mind the king staring at his betrothed like the man in love that he was.
 
Valius sighed and then blushed a bit, breaking away from Bryn's bluer than blue eyes. "If I stared much longer, Claudius would throw something at me."

"Timed it just about right, Sire," the older man acknowledged from where he had been turning an apple around in one hand. He shrugged then, "But given earlier today, I'm not pressing my luck."

"Wise, Sir Claudius," the young king answered with a smile. He glanced at the now grumpy looking Cat, "Oh, don't glower so, kitten. You're the belle of the evening, you know that."

She looked at him skeptically, "Really?"

"Of course. It must be true, I'm the king." He grinned at her and the little girl giggled. Around them the servants had been clearing the tables of the bulk of the dishes, though enough was left out that those who wished could continue to eat and drink at their leisure. Others were clearing space in the center of the hall for what always came after the meal at such a gathering. Valius glanced as servants and nobles both picked up and moved chairs to create a large loose circle with the space opened up by moving the tables in the middle. He blinked "Time already?"

"Perhaps more time passed in Duchess Bryn's eyes than you thought, Your Majesty," Gram chuckled. "But you know I'm always keen to get to bardic early."

Heather looked at Bryn, "Another tradition, Your Grace, after an event such as this, those guests who wish will tell stories, sing songs, dance, play instruments and the like for the entertainment of the other guests and their hosts."

Valius took Bryn's hand again as he stood from the table, "I shall join the company, my love, but if the day has been long, it will not be considered rude if you wish to withdraw." He'd accompany her to her room, of course, and then return. "But as one of the guests of honor, I must take a turn myself."

Enna had been passing by and she paused. "The rest of us would do your part, Sire. I'm aware that you..." She trailed off and her eyes were speculative. "Valius," she said, her use of her name unadorned a sign of the surprise she felt at his actions, "you haven't played since the bridge."

"No." He let the word fall alone for a few moments. He hadn't been able to bring himself to do it. The three of them had learned together, played together so many times, it had made him want to weep to even look at a violin. But perhaps it was time to go past that. "But tonight I will."
 
As the servants started to pull the food from the tables and set up an area for entertainment, Bryn listened as Heather explained that the guests would entertain one another with ballads, dancing, and such. She gave a smile as Valius turned towards her, offering her an out if she were tired. In that moment, she knew that she would not be going anywhere, especially if Valius were going to take his turn as an entertainer.

"Of course I'll be staying." Bryn said with a smile, squeezing his hand as Enna looked at him with concern. "How can I miss hearing you play if it is a rare treat?"

The mood turned slightly solemn as Enna insisted that she hadn't heard him play since he lost his family. It was slightly heartbreaking as Valius swore that he would be doing so. It would help him to move on, but Bryn worried that he was expecting too much. As everything quieted around them, Bryn squeezed his hand again to gain his attention.

"If you are brave enough to perform something, perhaps I should think of something as well." Bryn murmured, giving him a soft smile. "I admire you. The strength that you have in getting past this horrible event amazes me. When we are wed, I want to make sure to honor all of those that you've lost. They're just as much a part of your life now as they ever were."
 
Valius eyes flinched at her words. A part of his life still? Were they going to come into the room then? Would he stand again with Fidelius on his right and Veria seated in front of them and play together? Never again. But he knew she did not mean that. Did she mean his memories of them? Or something more than that?

At times like this, he ached for the comfort of religion, of superstition. yet he had left it behind for more reasoned and enlightened thought. Yet Bryn was wise and a believer, as were others he knew.

He shook his head to clear the thoughts away. "As you wish, my Bryn. Do not feel you must perform if no inspiration strikes you. Simply being part of the company will be a joy to us all."

"Smooth, Sire," Enna said with just a hint of snide amusement. She was still a little worried. This could be very emotional for him. If he broke down in front of these people...well, it wouldn't be as bad as it could be. "Let's take our places, shall we? Your Grace, will you sit with me here?" She indicated a pair of seats that would be near the front of the rough circle that had been assembled.

Instruments had been brought forth from where the various guests had left them with the servants and were being checked and tuned. Lady Heather accepted a time worn but well card for violin case from a servant before holding it out to Valius, "I know you didn't take yours on this journey, Sire, so if it pleases you..."

"Of course. Thank you." He took the case and set about opening it and taking out the instrument within. He'd seen it before and heard it played. A very valuable piece this; several generations old and made by the great Sentorius.

The young king took a few minutes to check the tightness of the strings, give the bow a few strokes with the amber stone inside, and test the tune with a few quick strokes. Rot and blight...it felt good to hold a violin again but at the same time his heart ached. Del wasn't at his right and Veri wasn't sitting in front, tuning her cello. Their absence was almost a tangible thing to him in those moments as he set the instrument under his chin and held it in place, getting a feel for it.

Valius knew he would be expected to go first. He was the bloody king, after all. He would rather have passed on that honor, let the emotion of the moment drain away. But maybe it was better to face it now, to try and take the full force of it.

The young king stepped into the circle and the buzz of conversation hushed almost immediately. "Nobles and worthies all, I beg your indulgence. It was been many months since I last played and my fingers have always known a sword hilt or bow string better than the strings played by the bow."

He set the violin under his chin, fingers resting on the neck, lifted the bow, took a deep breath, and let the song come. It was one he had played often, though it sounded hollow to his ears without the other two parts. A merry and jaunty tune meant to remind one of fellowship and cheery times. The bow worked and slid over the strings, his fingers dancing to press here and there to change the scale. For perhaps a minute and a half it was warm and cheery and swept the mind to comfortable times and the laughter of friends.

Then he shifted the tempo and slowed the melody, the scale shifted down, and the violin's song changed. It was the same tune but it ached for the remembrance it had previously celebrated. The strings sang of grief and of warm times that were never to come again, companionship lost and endless void those not present caused.

Many in the company shuffled their feel uncomfortably or looked away, their eyes gleaming. A few dabbed at eyes with handkerchiefs or sniffed back suddenly wet eyes. Valius didn't note it; he was extemporizing a bit now and his focus was all on playing out what was stinging his heart.

He shifted the scale again and the tempo once more picked up but it was not the spritely, happy thing it was at first nor was it the sorrowful ache but something in between; loss balanced with joy. Warmth and happiness present but never the same, never untouched by what was lost, never as full or as true.

Valius brought it to a slow close, letting a last, longing note swell out over the hall. Quiet fell into the air as he took the bow away and lowered the violin. "I pray you, let the rest of it be merry." He inclined his head and stepped out from the middle of the circle.

There was some scattered applause, a few called congratulations, or that his playing was lovely, or touching, or some other things but he paid that no mind. He wasn't sure he hadn't set the celebration off to a bad start but he had to play what had come to him.

Heather plucked the violin and bow as he passed her, "Worry not, dear boy," she whispered. She swept into the circle, "Our king is back to us, our new queen among us, surely the blood of Ithilien rouses at this happy day!" She gestured to a few others in the assembly as many more cried out. In her words, she named a popular and well known tune; as close as it came to a national anthem for the folk, though many in the nobility looked on it as too rustic or common music. An elderly merchant tapped a pair of sticks against the back of a chair, a pretty young girl holding a small drum between her legs and beating out the rhythm, Gram keeping pace with his bobbing head and holding a flute in his large, calloused hands to join in to rousing counterpoint to the main melody, Gareth with a viola to provide yet another layer, leaping into the familiar song as the rest of the crowd seemed to rouse. Many smiled or whistled along, other clapped their hands to the upbeat initial melody; for it was largely a bright and merry song and yet it was a song of Ithilien and there was sadness in it too, for the green gave and took in equal measure and both were celebrated.
 
Bryn listened quietly to Valius as he played on the violin. His talent was the first thing that she noticed. The next thing that struck her was the intense sadness that was still in his heart. Glancing around at the crowd that was gathered to watch him, she saw the tears and the sadness in their gaze as well. He had lost those that were dear to him and they had lost their royal family. It must have been a miracle that Valius had survived. Perhaps one day he would feel comfortable enough to tell her the story and she would listen to every hard detail.

There was little that she could bring herself to say to him as he finished. Her hands didn't even seem to want to respond. Did one clap for someone who had bared their soul? What was the proper reaction to a beautiful performance? Deciding to air on the side of caution, Bryn did not do anything, instead waiting for him to take his seat next to her as Heather swept into the circle and a lively song was struck.

Glancing towards Valius, Bryn dared to reach across and place her hand on top of his own. Her blue eyes looked into his own, offering him what little support that she might be able to. He was deeply wounded and she could not fault him for being moody and secretive. It was his story, his sorrow, his deep depression and only when he was ready could he help himself.

"You play beautifully, Val." She said with a soft smile on her lips. "Absolutely beautiful."

She meant those words from the bottom of her soul. He had the most talented ear when it came to the violin that she had ever heard. Perhaps it was something that the two of them might be able to share in the future.
 
Valius turned his hand palm up so that he could hold hers and he smiled, "I play well enough. I am not used to playing alone." He said no more on it. What was there to say? But he was smiling; a small, almost fragile smile, but it was there. Her eyes were radiant. Gods, what light shone out of her!

The music playing now was helping to pull him away from the melancholy, even as it celebrated it. It was verdant and energetic and yet the keen whistle of the flute was both celebratory and mournful. It was a song of the green land of Ithilien, which beautiful and life sustaining and deadly all at once. It came to a rousing close and there was more applause and the stamping of feet.

Singly, in pairs, even a few trios, performers rose and did their part. Mostly music but one stately woman recited the tale of the dragon Bryn had heard for the first time earlier in a traditional epic verse, her voice chanting and half singing the story. The light outside dimmed and died; torches were lit and a fire kindled that added even more to the casual and almost primitive nature of the gathering.

Valius grew more relaxed as it went on. Through the performances, people would slip off now and then, speaking a soft word to the hosts before departing, until there were perhaps fifteen that remained. The young king was leaning back in his chair and he held Bryn's hand still, tempted to lift his arm around her slender shoulders and pull her close.

He leaned in and brushed his lips over her ear, whispering, "So what do you think, my love? If you tire, we may go, some here will be up for hours more singing songs and telling tales."
 
The atmosphere in the room was warm and welcoming. Bryn was having a wonderful time listening to the songs and tales that were being told to those gathered. The story about that dragon was particularly riveting and she listened with bated breath as the woman wove her tale before it was done. She applauded with the rest, a smile on her face as Valius leaned over and asked her what she thought.

"I believe this is a tradition that I will enjoy very much." Bryn commented, giving her betrothed a smile as he suggested that they retire for the evening.

She glanced around the room and noticed that many others had already gone. Heather was seated next to her husband, Cat cradled against her as the little girl slumbered. Her tiny cheek was pressed against her mother's chest, arms hanging limply at her sides. Heather looked so serene in that moment, a doting smile on her face as she spoke with her husband and then glanced down at their little girl. Gram leaned in and kissed Cat's cheek, the little girl's brow furrowing slightly before she turned her head and sank back into slumber.

That was the kind of relationship that Bryn had always craved from her family. Her father doted on her, but her mother had always been missing. Watching this couple, older but still very obviously in love, Bryn knew that she wanted her own relationship with Valius to be like that. One of love, respect, and a fondness that would grow with age.

"Let's retire." Bryn murmured softly, looking at Valius with a sweet smile. "Perhaps there is a way that I can get past Dax long enough to join you in bed."
 
Back
Top