Crimson

The same feelings of the previous night returned as the wolf picked up the pace with his thrusts. Red's grip on his shoulders grew firmer, still trying in vain to struggle to not lose her mind. His kisses to her neck and shoulder coupled with his thrusts were enough to lose herself again in the madness. A part of her wanted to escape, not wanting to be dragged back to the same madness.

With her head tilted back to give him much more access to her neck, Red managed to catch a glimpse of the wolf's own lustful gaze. The two of them were lost, long gone from their predatory instincts of having to kill each other for the time being

Red wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer until his head nuzzled on the top of her breasts. Heavy breaths slowly changed its tune to groaning and moaning as the wolf thruster harder inside of her. She draped her arms down his back, slowly scratching upwards at the firm flesh.
 
Feeling his head pulled down he began to kiss the tops of her breasts, licking them as he made his way slowly down them. He circled them lazily, leaving a trail of small kisses as he made his way towards the pert tips.

Finally he licked all the way around them before swiping his tongue across them, before taking them in his mouth and suckling on them gently, flicking them with his tongue.

it had taken long minutes to do each one and he smiled as he began to suck harder at the one he had in his mouth at the moment, flicking his tongue over it more rapidly. He enjoyed her nails on his back and far from hurting him they just encouraged him to push her to new heights of pleasure.

Tilting her body still more, he began to almost thrust down into her, getting even deeper into her and pounding her body harder as he increased his pace and the intensity of his thrusts. He was now pounding into her and knew he was very close to exploding within her.

Reaching in with one hand he found her small nub of pleasure and began to rub it against her, moving it in a constant circle against her in time with his thrusts.

His mouth moved from one breast to the other as he sucked hard on her nipples and occasionally nibbled them with his lips.

He was pulling out all the stops to make her cum at the same time he did.
 
Her body bounced, her breasts moved like waves as the wolf's thrusts grew more intense. While he was firm the first time, exploring her body and finding ways to break in, this time he was going in with an intent. While her hunter instincts nagged her to put a stop to this immediately, Red pushed those thoughts to the side. This side of her needed this and was enjoying the ride while it was still going. And to be honest, she would rather stay in the haze than try to break free. She was already too much in to it to back out now.

Slowly, she was slipping away from her sanity, hearing her cries of ecstasy bounce off the rocky walls. Red's hands kept the wolf close to her, being the only thing she can clutch on to as his finger circling around her drove the craziness even further. She was afraid that the moment she would be out of his hold, she would be nothing more than a quivering mess sprawled out before him.

With one hand, she was barely close enough to plant a kiss on his lips. Her feet scraped the ground, trying to maintain some sort of control. She needed to. Her body was at the brink of a release evident by the juices that made the wolf's meaty flesh below slick.
 
Stygian could not last much longer and frankly did not want to. hearing the cries of passion coming from the woman below him were driving him wild.

He knew who she was and that he should be ripping her throat out, but instead he was planting kiss after kiss on it, nuzzling it, and licking the sweat that appeared on it and savoring the saltiness.

He moved from her neck to her lips as she drew his head upward and kissed her. Their tongues dueled, each one seeking to dominate the other as their bodies rushed towards the inevitable climax.

Finally he could wait no longer. He felt his balls move upwards and the beginnings of his release pounding through his shaft.

Releasing her lips he threw his head back and almost howled in pleasure as he seed rushed out and filled her.

He thrust deep into her again and another spurt erupted from the end causing another growl to come forth from his lips.

Over and over he drove himself in deep inside her, flooding her with his seed as he moaned in pleasure. Finally he was drained and only continued on auto as he waited for her to orgasm below him.
 
Just as Red could no longer handle the high levels of pain and pleasure, she felt a steady stream of his seed flooding inside of her. Rather than put her at ease, it wasn't long until her body writhed, quivering under its own pressure to let go. With her fingernails dug deep in to his shoulders, Red let out another cry before spurts of her own juices gushed out, coating both his member and the fleshy lips between her legs.

Breathing out a sigh of relief, she rolled on to her back, staring up at the rocky walls while she was lost in the rush. Aside from the pressure being off, the only small comfort she had was the wolf lying beside her with his arm draped over her chest.

Slowly the rush subsided, leaving her mind scattered in utter conflict. This was the same creature who tried to kill her and was amongst those who destroyed most of the hunters she knew and grew up with. hat night since childhood haunted her, forcing her to fear and anticipate that her murderer could return at any time to finish the job. And here he was baiting her in to his trap yet again.

No, he's the one who is going to fall in our trap, her hunter side prattled. Leave that idiot vulnerable enough before you go in for the kill.

From the corner of her eye, she saw the blurry image of the wolf move a little. Her body was tired to do a lot, much less suddenly get to her feet and split him open with her scythe. With whatever strength she could muster, Red gently grabbed the wolf's wrist and draped it over her body until he enveloped her in his hold. He had no idea what it was like to have two conflicting consciences battle inside with one wanting to act on natural instinct and the other who desired to experience what she had been missing out on because of her duties as a hunter.
 
Stygian could not believe what he had just done. This was the woman he had tried to kill as a child and had received his scar as a result of. Because of her he had been shunned most of his life and now that he had his chance to regain his honor, he had not taken it.

What was he doing having pleasure with her? He should be ripping out her throat and taking her head back to the pack as proof that he had fulfilled his mission. Yet he could not. All he could think about was her.

Stirring he felt her tug his arm across her body and he pulled her in closer to him, wrapping her in his arms. What was he going to do? There was no way she could understand the conflict in his soul. One half of him urging him to kill her and revel in it, the other wanting to protect her with all of his might and make her his mate.

How was he going to live like this where one false move could end up with her dead and himself to blame.
 
Red didn't want to think.

Snuggling in to her adversary's arms like a child to a parent, she knew that once the haze cleared and the feeling of elation went away, she would return to that feeling of uncertainty. Time and again, the hunter side would point out to her that she was only human in a vulnerable spot; that the wolf could never fathom humanity and was bound to find her weakness. For a moment, the thought that perhaps the both of them were never quite human crossed her mind. The two of them were doomed to their true instincts that they were born and raised with all their lives.

But her hunter persona put a stop to that train of thought. Creatures like the wolf are the reason she was forced in to the fight. Those damn monsters were allowed to roam free and live on an orgy of blood and harlots whenever they pleased. That was the big difference that separated the two; the wolf knows freedom and can roam about in it whenever he pleased. She wasn't allowed to indulge in normal human simplicities as it would distract her from what she needed to do. Admittedly, there are times when she yearned for simplicity but with her and the Hunter being the only ones left capable of fighting and most folks being cowards to face the hellish creatures, she had no choice. If not for the two hunters, the world may very well be in ruins.

Red nuzzled her head on his chest, keeping her face buried. She frowned as her mind wandered deeper in her thoughts. A part of her wanted to yell her frustrations at the wolf; how dare he planted the seed that questioned her own humanity. It made her plans to trap and kill him a little more complicated.

The other part of her just wanted to rest and enjoy whatever short time remained before she too could be killed. Wrapping her arms, Red did her best to keep her face hidden from his view.

"We leave tomorrow, right?"
 
Stygian wrapped his arms around her body and pulled her as close as he dared to. He knew if he pulled her too tight he could set her off, frightening her into thinking he was about to do something horrible to her.

All he really wanted to do was lie in this cave for the rest of his life with this woman in his arms, holding her close and making love to her.

Unfortunately he knew that was impossible. She needed to kill him as much as he needed to do the same to her. His wolf would never let him rest until one of them was dead and he wouldn't let it get out to wreck her life again.

"As long as your wound is healed, yes. Considering how you moved though," he chuckled "I think tomorrow is a safe bet."
 
She shouldn't get comfortable, not at all.

With the two of them lying in the nude, it presented Red an opportunity to rip away certain body features. Both of them are open to vulnerability to an attack but one of them was likely to be on the receiving end of revenge. It was a struggle to keep her hunger for vengeance down and her instincts at bay. Monsters never change, why should he be an exception? What if he had information on the Hunter's whereabouts and he was just leading her in to a trap.

Instead, Red readjusted her arms by draping one over his waist while the other sprawled out above her head. She really needed to stop getting comfortable and getting more sleep than necessary.

---

The sounds of bird chirping was enough to stir Red awake the next morning. Slowly she pulled away from the wolf, being careful to not disturb him. Though the wolf hasn't made much of an effort to kill her just yet, those of his nature were quite unpredictable in their sleeping form.

The fire in the pit was on the verge of fading, leaving just enough light for Red to find her rucsack, clothes, and scythe. Still being cautious, she snuck to retrieve her things and change in to her clothes. She needed him as an extra measure in order to find the Hunter but beyond that...

She shook her head, buttoning up her blouse. Things have been too comforting lately. All Red did was act on impulse to a need that she had been deprived of, knowing full well that it was a freedom that she could never achieve with what she is.

Still the small taste of freedom is nice.

Was nice.

She frowned as she picked up her red cloak, tying the ends together. The rip on her blouse wasn't as bad as she initially thought it was although it did leave some exposure.
 
Stygian had awoken as soon as he felt Red move, but he had remained lying in place as she moved around slowly and quietly in the low light.

He had no trouble seeing in the near darkness, thanks to his heritage, and he could see her glances in his direction often and knew what they meant. The night was over and now it was back to feelings as usual.

Well for her it might be, but for him his were still a complete mess. He knew exactly what he should do. He should kill her in this cave while she was still weak. He would have several opportunities before they emerged outside and he was certain he could have her dead or dying before she even knew what was happening.

The only thing holding him back was the fact that he did not want to. Rolling over and pretending to wake up, he stretched and then got up, exposing his nakedness to her as he casually walked over to his bag to retrieve his clothes and get dressed.

It did not take him long, and he soon had the leftovers of last nights meal warming on the embers of the fire. It was not much, but it would fill their bellies and allow them to travel onward without stopping. He hoped to get to the pass without stopping so they could avoid any other attacks.

Once the food was ready he gestured for Red to come and eat. "Eat as much as you can. This will be the last hot meal we have for awhile. We need to make it through the pass before we can make another fire. I would like to do it all in one go, but if you start to feel too much pain let me know. There are a few places we can rest and it is better if you are able to fight than push yourself too much."
 
"I don't need to eat." her hunter side was tempted to scream. The wolf may think all was well and good but the night was over and Red had to come down to reality. The woman side of made things complicated, leaving them exposed and vulnerable for the wolf to toy with. The mission to find the Hunter was a top priority that needed more attention than exploring trivial human pleasures.

She finished fixing her cloak and took a seat. The wolf handed her a bowl, warmed with the leftovers from the previous night. After poking at it a few times and mixing it, Red ate the meal. He was right about one thing; the journey through the overpass and the other side of the mountain was going to be a long and challenging one. If they were lucky, they could get to the nearest village by tonight if they didn't run in to any more creatures.

Between bites, Red glanced at the wolf's direction, more so at the scar that branded his face. Memories of that night flashed in her mind; how close the wolf's claws were to her tiny body before the Hunter tackled the creature out of the way. Or the sight of the Hunter slicing open the wolf's flesh before the beast cowered and ran off.

And this is why you can never trust him. She tried to convince herself, or rather the young foolish girl who gave in too easily. Granted she and the wolf are reluctant acquaintances fighting to not kill each other just yet but oh how she wanted to just leave his carcass in the damn cave before she headed off.

"You don't have to worry about me." She calmly replied, taking another bite of the meat. "The wound has been healing nicely."
 
He nodded as he ate his own food. Well only time would tell if she would be able to keep up and if he would be able to keep his other half under control.

It didn't take long to finish the meal and soon he was picking up the pack he had stuffed full of provisions and handing her a smaller one. He had even been able to leave a small cache in the cave in case the needed to shelter here on the way back.

Lighting a torch, he extinguished the fire and then led the way towards the exit. He was tempted to ask her to go first but was pretty sure she would not allow him to be at her back, so he just led the way, not getting too far in the lead.

It didn't take too long to work their way to the front entrance as they had light, but he put the torch out before taking the last bend. No need to advertise they were coming out.

They emerged into the morning sun and he allowed his eyes to become used to the daylight before he gestured to the trail. "I will lead. Stick close and try not to make too much noise. Hopefully most of their forces have passed us by but if not I would prefer to hide than fight. We have a long climb ahead but if we hurry we can be through the pass just after Midnight tonight."

Nodding to her he set off at a ground eating jog. They would only be able to keep this pace up for several hours before the real climbing began so it was best to get as far up into the mountain as they could before nightfall.
 
As soon as the two cleared the bowls down to the last morsels of food, both Red and the wolf got to their feet, preparing to leave the caverns. Supply sack in one hand, her oversized scythe securely strapped behind her back, Red followed the wolf's lead to the cave's opening.

Unlike fire, the sun wasn't quite friendly to Red. Two days in a cave with an ever dimming light, the sun's natural light caused her to flutter her eyes, shielding her face from its annoying presence. The wolf grasped her wrist and before Red had a chance to protest that she can walk fine, he led her down the mountainous path.

It would be a short time later that Red's eyes finally adjusted to the sunlight. She didn't need the wolf to lead her around like a blind woman. Being a bit bold or perhaps she would rather get through the overpass much quicker, she went on ahead of the wolf.

But she stopped. The possibility of an ambush from behind by the beast crossed her mind. She reached for her scythe, anticipating the inevitable attack. Red was not going to die and especially not in this vast mountain space. Instead, her hand moved to her hair, pulling it out of the back of her blouse as she waited for the wolf to be nearby.

"If I remember, there is a village town once we find the path that leads down to the other side of this place."
 
Stygian nodded as he strode passed her. He knew she could not be tired yet and that the only reason she was stopping now was so that he could take the lead.

Obviously she did not trust him as much as he had thought she did, but he did not really need to grumble about it. The truth was, he did not trust her all that much as well.

He quickly moved far enough ahead that she would not be able to swing her scythe directly into his back before he answered.

"Yes. Once we have made it up to and through the pass, there is a small village no more than a mile down the mountain. The other side is vastly different to this. While we are going to be climbing over rocks and thin grasses soon, once we are through the pass we will emerge into a luscious forest. It will be good cover, but at the same time it will provide hiding spots for them as well."

Stygian looked back as he talked, making sure she kept up while at the same time making sure he kept his distance from her.
 
Now that the lead has been switch with the wolf taking the lead, Red fought with herself not to take advantage and deliver a nice blow to his head with her weapon. Like the wolf, it is a natural instinct to eliminate any creature that posed a threat and surely the feeling was mutual with the beast in front of her. Right now, the most she can do is wait it out until her task was completed. To make matters difficult, a part of her, the one that fell for his lies and manipulation, wanted to chat freely while they were still alone. This was the type of idiocy that would get her in trouble. And if the wolf decided to kill her, it will be days until her body was found, or whatever was left of her.

They came across several rocky barriers with jagged protrusions posing as footholds. They weren't difficult to climb but Red made a mental note to pick up some climbing supplies in the next town in case they would have to canvas another mountain.

Their trek on the mountain had been uneventful so far with neither of them speaking to one another. Occasionally a bird would fly by, make a stop near them, then flew off again after not finding anything of interest.

Red and the wolf came across another rock climbing barrier, this time a bit steeper than the previous one. She let the wolf go first before she followed behind. Just as Red was on the very last step, the rock that acted as a foothold crumbled beneath her foot, leaving her dangling from the chest down. Her foot managed to find another gap that allowed her to push the rest of her over.
 
Stygian walked ahead of her, choosing the easiest route and keeping the pace steady while not pushing too hard.

Every now and then he looked back. To his wolf side he reasoned that it was to make sure she was still far enough back that she could not launch a surprise attack on him. In truth he knew it was because he was checking to make sure she was still okay, and that her wound was not paining her.

He also wanted to talk with her, but every time he opened his mouth he could think of nothing to say. After all, what did the two of them have to 'chat' about.

"Oh remember the time I almost killed you?"
"So what's it like being a Hunter and slaying my Kind?"
"I guess you really want to kill me right?"

Yes all great conversation starters. Really he just wanted to know about her, the real woman, not the Hunter, but he was sure she would never want to talk to him about that. Especially him.

As the way got rougher he was able to climb with ease. Another advantage of living in the wilds and his heritage. Again he picked the quickest but safest route. It was a pity they had not been able to bring the rope or he would have insisted she tie herself to him. Instead he had to wait anxiously as she made her own assent.

Sure enough she had slipped and he had moved to help her, but had seen her flinch. He had stopped fearing she might actually fall if he tried to help her.

So she still feared him. He guessed it was only natural as he was still fearful of her, but if his life was on the line would he flinch away from her?

Gesturing up the path he pointed to a small gap that could now just be seen. "The pass. Another several hours of walking and we will be close. There is only one dangerous climb left but it makes this one look like a stroll up a hill. We will rest once we reach the base of it."

Looking at her he adjusted his pack and again set off.
 
Red managed to push herself up to the top, her leg scraping lightly against the rocky surface. She saw the wolf scurry, assuming that he was surprised that she had not been killed. After a bit of dusting of the earth off of her clothes, she carried on as if it were all normal.

The hunter kept a watchful eye on the wolf, intent on striking a blow if he decided to turn around and attack her. Here was an opportunity for him; the two of them alone in a mountainous path that no ordinary human would casually travel on. The only other living creature that would find her body almost immediately would be any flying creature that would have a reason to come up on their level.

Even with such focus that the other half of her couldn't help but be curious of that damned creature before her. Or at least the human persona behind it. The wolf turned around and appeared to try to say something. Hunter instincts kick in and thought that he wanted to taunt her or at least mock her for not being as up to speed with him. Still, the near silence is unnerving with just their footsteps echoing.

She wished she could get the thoughts of his kiss off of her mind. Reverting back to her main focus on not getting killed, she managed to work out a reply to his bit on being a few hours away from town.

"How sure are you?"
 
Stygian looked back at her again as he continued to walk. Why did she always have to question him? Of course he was certain of his estimation. In fact if he was alone it would not take him as long as she was definitely holding him back.

"As long as we don't slow down anymore we will reach the climb in an hour," he told her. "After that it is going to take us at least another hour to get up if we are lucky, but once we do we can get through the pass and into the woods on the other side easily. I estimate another half hour trekking through them to the village."

He walked along in silence for a little while then looked back again. "Of course that is the best case scenario. If we run into any stragglers looking for us, or if the climb is a lot harder than it looks, it could take a lot longer."

He shrugged. Personally he was not that worried. So far he had caught no scent of any beasts from ahead of them. His main worry was the climb. "For now save your breath and strength for the climb ahead."
 
Red fought back the urge to lash out at the wolf. He had no right to control how she was, to put in his own words, waste her breath on questioning the wolf. Restraining that urge and her vulnerable half from taking over was going to make the trek twice as long. She had already been exposed for far too long. The hunter would rather have it where the womanly side of her would be useful to lure him further down the hole she was slowly digging for him and nothing else. Getting emotionally attached was not n her intended list.

"I just wanted to..." Red softly began to say but quickly trailed off.

As they approached the steep climb the wolf spoke of, the winds picked up nearly blowing off the red cloak off of her head. For a moment, she could have sworn she heard howling riding along the gust. Immediately, her hand reached for her scythe, expecting a possible ambush. Red was a little miffed when no nearby creatures showed themselves. All the anticipating for nothing.

Pity.

After they were certain that they were not going to get ambushed, the wolf ascended up the steep hill. Slow, deep breaths, she told herself as she followed after. The climb wasn't too much of a concern but the air thinning the higher up they climbed.
 
They reached the bottom of the cliff and Stygian examined it. Actually it was not going to be as bad as he thought. It was pockmarked with holes and ledges so they should be able to climb it with relative ease as long as they took their time and went slow and steady.

As they stood there though, the wind picked up and he heard definite howling on it. It was not any member of his pack, and it did not come from below. They would actually be climbing into danger. He kept that fact off his face and made out like it was the wind when he noticed that Red had heard it as well.

He started the climb and it was as he thought. He was able to easily pick a path and guide her up the straight face. Every now and then they were able to rest on narrow ledges, which they needed as the wind was fierce and climbing became difficult as the air became thinner the higher they went.

By the time they were three quarters of the way up, he was panting and was sure Red must be feeling worse. He spotted a decent sized ledge they would both be able to sit on and headed for it and soon was helping her onto it.

"We can rest here for a little bit before pushing for the top. We need to get used to the thin air anyway. let's take a ten minute break and drink some water."

He reached into his pack and pulled out a water skin and handed it to her.

"Don't worry, once we make it to the top, it is only a quick dash through the gap and then we can hide in the woods and rest up."
 
It was quite a relief when the wolf found a sturdy ledge to take a rest on. Unlike the wolf, Red's legs and were beginning to feel the burn climbing at the rate they were going. Sweat glistened on her forehead and the back of her neck dripping near her earlobe. So much for the relaxed and concentrated breathing; while climbing up mountains and hillsides do not normally get her this winded, the need to calm down from the lightheadedness was slowly pushing her over the edge.

Red scooted on to the remaining space of the ledge. Though there was enough room for them to sit and let their feet dangle over the edge, it was only enough for them to sit in very close proximity where their leg would unintentionally brush up against one another.

A swig of water from the pack, Red's head slowly cleared from the dizziness she had experienced earlier Another sip of the water and she handed the pack back to the beast or him to have his fix.

So close, so dangerously close. The wolf could easily push her off the ledge and have her freewill several thousand feet below. If she were lucky, she would be able to break her fall by landing on the tops of the trees.

Before pulling her hand away, her thumb found its way to his knuckle. Gently, but briefly, her thumb massaged it before she finally withdrew her hand. The sensations of the last two nights came back to her as a part of her wanted to feel him all over again. A touch by his hand, his breathing down on her exposed neck. Something. The brushing of their legs wouldn't have counted much due to their confined space, nothing beyond.

But the dutiful hunter instincts kicked in. That womanly side of her was a sick one who kept craving for the wolf to enslave and basically rape her out of her own dignity. What a time to be having those dirty thoughts when they were still in the midst of a steep climb and a possible ambush attack.

The winds picked up, a tad stronger than earlier but enough for Red to keep her cloak down with one hand. With the winds, the howls once again were mixed in, this time much harsher than previously.

Looking up, the edge of the climb was nearly there. The only question now would be if she or the wolf will make it there at all, not knowing what they were going to come up against.
 
Stygian watched as Red tried to make herself more comfortable on the tiny ledge and just for an instant his wolf whispered in his ear how easy it would be to nudge her off and send her tumbling down.

He gasped at that thought and almost backed away from her, but there was nowhere to go. Instead he concentrated on her lovely features and then closed his eyes remembering the night they had spent together.

In the midst of his memories he felt he pass back the water skin and he grasped it, but he also felt her thumb gently stroke the back of his hand, massaging his knuckle before she quickly withdrew her hand.

He opened his eyes and glanced at her, but she showed no signs of having done anything and he almost doubted himself. Still he was sure it had happened and he longed to once again take her in his arms and claim her as his woman. However now was not the time for these thoughts and feelings. Perhaps when they were safe they could explore them.

He took a last sip of the water and then replaced it in his bag and stood up. As he did the wind picked up again and he had no trouble hearing the howls this time. Definitely wolves but they were on the other side of the gap. At least they would be able to make the climb in safety. Then the danger would begin.

Looking up he studied the route then helped Red to her feet. "Follow me exactly. This last part is going to be very tricky. Once at the top we can rest for a little bit before we will have to make a run for shelter."

Smiling at her with what he hoped was a reassuring smile, he set off for the top.
 
As the wolf helped Red up, she could still feel her legs tingle a little from the arduous climb. On the plus side, the sensation calmed down from ten minutes earlier when they were burning. The howls continued to carry on, much more audible as they climbed closer to the top.

With each step she mirrored from the creature, she couldn't help but anticipate the impending ambush that will soon take place. If the creatures were far enough when they first heard their cries, they were bound to sense them approaching the top of the climb. Should the creatures be waiting for the two right on the top, Red wasn't sure if she would be able to react in time before the creatures will ambush and kill her.

The wolf? Well he might have a better chance than her though he may be first pickings for whoever was up there.

It took about fifteen minutes for Red and the wolf to reach the top of the cliff. When the wolf got over, she found herself a tad reluctant to follow him. But just to make sure...

"Anything on top there?" she called out.
 
As he made it to the top he paused and glanced over with just his eyes, then sniffed the air. Even in this form his senses were extremely good and he could tell there was no wolves anywhere around. His assessment had been correct. They were waiting for them through the gap and in the woods where their numbers and hunting skills would be to their advantage.

Climbing up and over he waited for Red to follow but she didn't and then called out, "Anything on top there?"

Sighing he looked back down and grinned at her. "Yes there is a whole army, but they are just waiting for you to arrive before they attack." Shaking his head he reached down and offered his hand. "Now get up here so we can figure out our next move."

Once she was finally at the top of the cliff he pointed out the Gap. It was wide enough for several people and ran several hundred meters deep. Through it they could spy the other side and the distant woods. They could also hear the howling coming from that direction.

"I can distinctly hear at least five different howls," he told her. "That's not to say there are not more in the pack. They could just be the scouts reporting back in. Still our best bet is to go through and try to get around them."

He pointed to the right. "That is the way we should go. Most of the pack seems to be centered to the left. I have only heard one to the right. If we can avoid him we will have a chance. Even if we end up killing him we will have a good lead on the rest of the pack, although that won't mean much unless we can find a good place to take them on."

He looked at her and shrugged. "The only other way is to go to the end of the gap and draw them to us. At least we know nothing is behind us and we will have walls all around us meaning they will have to come from the front. The only problem will be if they end up summoning reinforcements. Still I don't mind doing it either way."
 
For that brief moment, Red took the wolf seriously. So an ambush was indeed waiting for them at the top. Anticipation turned in to not being amused as she heard the hint of sarcasm in his voice. Irritated, she did not have time to play the wolf's petty games. As soon as they get to the nearest village, she will deal with him. For now she only focused on what was up ahead.

Red saw his hand reach out to her. Even with the time they have spent with one another, she still had reservations in trusting him. How sure was she that he wasn't offering his help with the intention of flinging her off the cliff?

Just do it. The annoying womanly side of her urged. The worst he could do is fling her off or offer her as a sacrifice to what lies ahead.

Red grabbed hold of the wolf's hand, allowing him to pull her up the rest of the cliff with her feet giving her a boost. She laid on her back, breathing a sigh of relief that that particular exertion was over. All she had to worry about was the thinning air alone instead of a combination of that and climbing.

"Most of the pack seems to be centered to the left. I have only heard one to the right. If we can avoid him we will have a chance. Even if we end up killing him we will have a good lead on the rest of the pack, although that won't mean much unless we can find a good place to take them on."

"Kill one and the rest will soon follow." Even if they were to kill the creature that was the most isolated from its group, they only had very little time to think before the rest will find out and come after them.
 
Back
Top