Editing Mark Twain, at one's peril

Athalia

Literotica Guru
I just read a wonderful part of Mark Twain's recently published "uncensored" autobiography, published for the first time in 2010. It's in volume one (the third volume is yet to be published).

Twain is asked to write an introduction to a biography of Joan of Arc, and does so. The introduction is returned to him, with a multitude of corrections as to usage and syntax. This edited version, complete with redactions, is included in the autobiography. But what makes this of interest to us is that Twain wrote back to the editor, explaining at length why he wrote what he did, and excoriating the editor for his use of grandiose words where plain words would do. Twain assures us that he was writing from the noblest motivations, to admonish the editor to better himself, but he makes little effort to disguise his contempt for the fellow, and for the stilted form of the language that was prevalent in the nineteenth century. One gets the feeling that trying to groom the lion's mane can be a very dangerous proposition if you don't have the lion's cooperation. And Twain could be a lion.

As a professional editor, I thoroughly enjoyed the piece, and I think that other editors could stand to learn something from it, too. The lesson, of course, is that if your client is as enormously talented as Mark Twain, the wisest course is to stay out of his way and let the man do what he does best.

I just read a wonderful part of Mark Twain's recently published "uncensored" autobiography, published for the first time in 2010. It's in volume one (the third volume is yet to be published).

Twain is asked to write an introduction to a biography of Joan of Arc, and does so. The introduction is returned to him, with a multitude of corrections as to usage and syntax. This edited version, complete with redactions, is included in the autobiography. But what makes this of interest to us is that Twain wrote back to the editor, explaining at length why he wrote what he did, and excoriating the editor for his use of grandiose words where plain words would do. Twain assures us that he was writing from the noblest motivations, to admonish the editor to better himself, but he makes little effort to disguise his contempt for the fellow, and for the stilted form of the language that was prevalent in the nineteenth century. One gets the feeling that trying to groom the lion's mane can be a very dangerous proposition if you don't have the lion's cooperation. And Twain could be a lion.

As a professional editor, I thoroughly enjoyed the piece, and I think that other editors could stand to learn something from it, too. The lesson, of course, is that if your client is as enormously talented as Mark Twain, the wisest course is to stay out of his way and let the man do what he does best.

Is there an editor smart enough to get out of the way and STFU? I've never met one.

One of Twain's grandmothers was a Johnson of my line from Louisa County VA (where our common line erupted), and I'm blessed to have writing samples of my antecedents that pre-date Twain's celebrity. They and Twain share the same droll, cynical, sarcasm and irony.

J.B.Johnson Letter sample of 1849. He was 13 years old at that date.

John Edwards has gone to Mt. Vernon to establish a Division of
Sons of Temperance. W. A. T. has returned to his wonted
ways, and has been expelled from the Division : so true the
proverb, "The hog returns to his wallowing in the mire."
Albert went hence, a few weeks ago, " unanointed, un-
annealed, and unappointed." Health of the town is good,
and the town filling up rapidly; the old Adams house is
packed to overflowing with people, and I don't know but
the jail will be full next — very probable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an editor smart enough to get out of the way and STFU? I've never met one.

The kicker here is that you've never met an editor. :rolleyes:

I don't believe for a nanosecond that you have any experience with or knowledge of editors.

I don't believe for a nanosecond that you have any experience with or knowledge of editors.

Starting when do I care what you believe? Your eyes roll so much I'm changing your name to Ted E Bear.

But we're always supposed to believe you though, right?

Kills me when you have the audacity to say someone else is making something up.

But we're always supposed to believe you though, right?

Kills me when you have the audacity to say someone else is making something up.

CARNAK the GREAT reads minds and really knows. Its the wood alcohol he drinks.

LC and JBJ are certainly my idea of an appropriate tag team--especially on the topic of editing. :D

On Twain, he must have found a sufficient number of editors supportive of his style, because he appears to be in print with the voice he preferred. I don't think I've ever read that he complained about what wound up under his name in print.

On Twain, he must have found a sufficient number of editors supportive of his style, because he appears to be in print with the voice he preferred. I don't think I've ever read that he complained about what wound up under his name in print.

There are indeed a few places in the Autobiography where he complains about editors in his early career, although those days were long past when he dictated the book. As the piece I mentioned earlier demonstrated, his own editorial skills were formidable, and it's obvious that he put a great deal of thought into expressing things in the most precise way. (He once said that "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug.") So he was that marvel of marvels: a writer who really needed no editing at all. Which is what makes the impertinence of that misguided editor all the more striking.

On the other hand, his feuds with his publishers were legendary, and a source of much vexation to him. He constantly felt that he and other authors were being cheated by them, and he seems to have been right much of the time.

And, by the way, my thanks to sr71plt for getting this thread back on track. I've had a reader comment privately on how far off it had strayed.

So he was that marvel of marvels: a writer who really needed no editing at all. Which is what makes the impertinence of that misguided editor all the more striking.

I'd agree with content and word usage, but not with "no editing at all." I don't think there is anyone immune from their fingers typing/keying something different than their mind was thinking from time to time.

I'd agree with content and word usage, but not with "no editing at all." I don't think there is anyone immune from their fingers typing/keying something different than their mind was thinking from time to time.

He did proof-read everything he wrote or dictated to avoid such slips. Presumably, he would have caught them at that point. But like Isaac Asimov, he had a reputation for having worked everything out so precisely in his head, to the last comma, even before touching a pen or typewriter, that very few corrections had to be made.

He did proof-read everything he wrote or dictated to avoid such slips. Presumably, he would have caught them at that point.

Not really, which was my point. If you make a mistake originally, chances are very good you'll never catch it yourself--at least not all of them. There's no one alive who doesn't benefit from another set of eyes or two--and I have no problem accepting that that included Twain and Asimov--and everyone else. Me, you, JBJ.

He did proof-read everything he wrote or dictated to avoid such slips. Presumably, he would have caught them at that point. But like Isaac Asimov, he had a reputation for having worked everything out so precisely in his head, to the last comma, even before touching a pen or typewriter, that very few corrections had to be made.

Raymond Chandler's 1st story, BLACKMAILERS DONT SHOOT, is reputed to be error free when it arrived at BLACK MASK magazine.

Raymond Chandler's 1st story, BLACKMAILERS DONT SHOOT, is reputed to be error free when it arrived at BLACK MASK magazine.

And he sent it straight to the magazine without anyone reading it behind him first?--assuming, of course, that you aren't making this up as you like to do. Source citation?

Back