Give me your insight/opinion - What translates into "skank" in your mind?

When I was growing up 'skank' was what the girl who screwed everyone who asked was called. Then changes in attitude took place and the word 'slut' was used for her. But now even that word isn't thought of as a bad thing.

Abandon the word skank. It’s confusing the discussion.

Your character is devious and upper crust, but you want to show that she has a base, scrappy side. Alcohol is not a good way to do this. Drinking publicly has a showmanship to it. Drink choices are judged and mocked. Your lady character certainly knows this and will play to her crowd. You reminded me of a scene from Atlas Shrugged where a posh character’s dress slipped just enough to reveal that a safety pin is holding together ripped stitches in her collar. You need something like that. A little peek behind the curtain that shows her refinement is only surface level.

My character is part of a larger ensemble where money is new in the family. The mother married up, she married to keep and gain status quo and further climb the food chain but she nevertheless is rotten to the core and has dark roots.

She drives a fuchsia car, a convertible, of a fashionable maker. Perhaps Lexus or Infinity.
She curses like a sailor when nobody is listening (or she believes so).
She's likes to spread the goods around. A lot.
The list piles further and higher.

Giving her a drinking habit is an added bonus.

Mebbe give her two friends: one a naive slightly stupid woman who thinks the light of God emanates from your heroine's backside. The other a sceptic perhaps a bit sour. Then you can bring out the main character's flaws through these minor character's dialogue.

The stupid one eventually starts to have doubts - she personifies the readership as she slowly catches on.

Abandon the word skank. It’s confusing the discussion.

Your character is devious and upper crust, but you want to show that she has a base, scrappy side. Alcohol is not a good way to do this. Drinking publicly has a showmanship to it. Drink choices are judged and mocked. Your lady character certainly knows this and will play to her crowd. You reminded me of a scene from Atlas Shrugged where a posh character’s dress slipped just enough to reveal that a safety pin is holding together ripped stitches in her collar. You need something like that. A little peek behind the curtain that shows her refinement is only surface level.

This. As another tell, I'd go for certain speech patterns. It doesn't have to be swearing at the first sign of distress (too cheap), but maybe a malfunction of her upper crust vocab or grammar. Maybe heavy use of contractions when agitated, or slurring of words or the like? I'm not a native English speaker, so no hard examples here.

But as an anecdote, one of our German reality TV shows features a rags-to-riches millionaire family, the Geiss family. And from what little I've seen, they don't even try to mask their street-level Cologne accent. Usually, in Germany, Hochdeutsch, without regional accent, is seen as how educated people talk, especially publicly. Even politicians get funny looks when they bust out their home accent, especially the Bavarians. :) As much as said Geiss family tries to be posh and upper-crust, their antics and their speech clearly expose them as the lower-class idiots they are.

Last edited:
Do I have my work cut out when I start translating this...

@Blind_Justice

I'm aware that many cultures in the world have verbal cues in individual speech patterns that can hint/denounce the origins of said person. But this is completely oblivious in my culture and language. And I'm primarily working for my language.

We literally don't care HOW you speak, or which accent you have or the kind of vocabulary you use; we care about WHAT you are actually trying to say.

Sporting a regional accent or speech mannerism is of no consequence and can even be seen as standing ground for your place of origin, even more if you have any kind of public visibility. We do tend to "shake off" our regional mannerisms (in extremis, some accents can render a conversation extremely difficult to follow) but we don't try to hide it; it just happens. Our language is extremely plastic; there are places where people speak almost as if singing and some places where people speak with their mouths almost closed... It makes for some very interesting and challenging exchanges.

And if you are to tune in on any of our open signal/public television stations you are going to hear one particular mannerism of language that is loathed by pretty much every single language speaker outside our capital and it boils down to simply changing a simple vowel in some words.

But we can and are sensible to the smaller cues one gives in their day to day mannerisms, like the way one walks, stands, dresses, drinks (and the choice of poison), etc... But many of these can and will be easily rectified if one chooses to do so. It's the small, insignificant (to us) things we get very early in our life than hardly go away and that is what I'm considering at the moment.

Do I have my work cut out when I start translating this...

@Blind_Justice

I'm aware that many cultures in the world have verbal cues in individual speech patterns that can hint/denounce the origins of said person. But this is completely oblivious in my culture and language. And I'm primarily working for my language.

We literally don't care HOW you speak, or which accent you have or the kind of vocabulary you use; we care about WHAT you are actually trying to say.

Sporting a regional accent or speech mannerism is of no consequence and can even be seen as standing ground for your place of origin, even more if you have any kind of public visibility. We do tend to "shake off" our regional mannerisms (in extremis, some accents can render a conversation extremely difficult to follow) but we don't try to hide it; it just happens. Our language is extremely plastic; there are places where people speak almost as if singing and some places where people speak with their mouths almost closed... It makes for some very interesting and challenging exchanges.

And if you are to tune in on any of our open signal/public television stations you are going to hear one particular mannerism of language that is loathed by pretty much every single language speaker outside our capital and it boils down to simply changing a simple vowel in some words.

But we can and are sensible to the smaller cues one gives in their day to day mannerisms, like the way one walks, stands, dresses, drinks (and the choice of poison), etc... But many of these can and will be easily rectified if one chooses to do so. It's the small, insignificant (to us) things we get very early in our life than hardly go away and that is what I'm considering at the moment.

Since my eyes are worth shit, I thought I might add some other means of perception to the discussion. Sorry if I missed the point.

Way up in a penthouse pretty
Fifteen miles up above the city
I met a lady from a wealthy family
She could cuss like a real longshoreman
She was making eyes at the doorman
She made a most unusual offer to me.
--Tom Paxton​
But she was no skank.

Back