Prophecy of Ruin or Salvation (closed for heartofcourage)

It was a testament to the skill of the palace gardeners that any plants grew in this brutal heat. Walking in the garden there was some shade to be had but he could understand well how dangerous the desert was if merely being in the pleasant gardens and walking about could tire him as much as it was.

He eyed the zerbi fruit cautiously after being given it and the explanation. It looked fine, odd but fine, but he wasn't about to eat anything whose name meant 'vomit.' Instead he handed the fruit back to Masha, "Something for the journey back, Masha. I'm sure as a soldier you can appreciate the capabilities of this fruit."

Masha looked no more enthusiastic about it that Valius had been. "Wonderful, Sire. I'll be sure to store it so you can have it on you and Lady Bryn's next ride."

"Thank you, singulare, your devotion is matchless," he said in a wry tone. His bodyguard merely grinned as the tour of the garden swept onward.

Both of the forest people eyed the toxic thorns of the cartir plant with interest and respect. There were many plants in their land; some had great medicinal value and some were deadly poison, some could be both depending on the dosage. "Fascinating." Valius bent closer to examine the stems and the way the thorns protruded carefully, not getting within six inches of the plant. "Can the poison be drawn out? In Ithilien, we've found that some plant toxins, if diluted, can be useful for medicine." Or for putting on the tips of arrows for less savory sorts. It was considered unappealing but if a lone hunter or ranger had to face some of the larger or more dangerous predators alone, poisoned arrows could be a great equalizer.

However, before he could examine the deadly bloom further, Bryn jerked his hand and hauled at him, a bemused Valius letting her haul him over to a very familiar stand of plants indeed. "Lilies; they are lovely and the smell is pleasant. I'm fond of them as well, particularly tiger lilies, if you've ever seen them." He ran a finger along one of the long petals of the ivory flower, "The shape is the same but they're a bright orange in color."

She liked the smell of lilies, did she? He made a mental note that when they came to Ithilien, she would have fresh lilies every week. "Your knowledge of plants is great, Bryn, and all the more surprising for a desert bloom like yourself." He smiled down at her, "I think you were meant to live in the green of the forest."

He did know some of the plants here; many grew on the mountains that bordered their countries. As he thought of the mountains, something occurred to him. "Bryn, I know you started life on an island. Do you know how to swim? It is something that many of our people do for fun and their health in the spring and summer."

“She’s the woman of water. Of course she can swim.” Dax answered the king’s question with a grin as Bryn glared back at him.

“Thank you very much, Dax, but I can answer the question myself.” She said as she turned back to Valius with an exasperated look on her face. “My grandfather taught me to swim when I was a little girl. Of course, living here in the desert there isn’t much call for the ability to swim.”

“I’ve always wanted to learn how to use a boat though.” She said, surprising Dax at her admission. She slid her arm back through Valius’s and smile up at him. “I use to watch the boats that left Alerum to trade and I always thought that it looked so peaceful to raise a sail and simply drift around.”

As they continued their walk, she drew their small party into the shade of a creeping vine, sitting down on the lush grass as she waited for the others to do the same. She noticed the way that Masha and Dax exchanged looks between one another and she smiled. They must be starting their own relationship, she thought to herself as she turned her gaze back towards Valius.

“Tell me more about this tiger lily. Does it have stripes like a tiger?” She asked him, her voice curious. She loved to read and had always had a large capacity to learn. She especially loved learning about nature and all the different plants that existed in her country and beyond. “And what is a…goose? Enna called me a silly goose earlier and I have no idea what she was referring to.”

The difference the shade made was profound. As he sat beside the fair skinned beauty on the grass, he made a note to himself that whenever they visited Aldor it would be in what would be the winter here. That might make it more tolerable.

He was pleased at her sitting on the grass though. It was a good sign, really, that she wouldn't be as beholden to the stiffness and formality that seemed to be a part of Aldor's court. For whatever reason, perhaps the mandatory military service, Ithilien's nobility could be very casual. "I've never learned to sail," Valius admitted, "But I know how to use a rowboat and canoe; I've enough knowledge of knots and watercraft to make due on a riverboat."

She then began to ask questions and he couldn't help but grin. Gods, she was beautiful and sexy, but she could also just be utterly adorable. He wanted to hug her but it was far too hot out here for that. "Tiger lilies don't have stripes, no, though as they get older they sometimes develop black spots, though they stay orange in color otherwise."

That was the easy one. Describing a goose was harder. "All right, well...you've seen ducks, right? What about swans?" He held out his hands and did his best to trace out a goose-like shape in the air. "Geese are water birds, like ducks, but larger. Some are wild, but people also keep them where I'm from for their eggs, as well as just to eat the goose themselves. They can look very goofy walking around, and have a reputation for being kind of dumb animals."

Valius shrugged then and leaned back on his hands, "When we're in Ithlien, you'll see your share of geese. We have to chase them out of the palace fountains sometimes. They can make such a mess but there are some kept at the palace too." He paused and thought a moment, "We actually keep a lot of animals at the palace. The estate around and within the walls is pretty extensive; there's land for a surprising number of beasts."

He looked over at her with a smile, "I hope you're fond of animals or at least patient with them. Wild and domesticated, there are a lot of animals in Ithilien. In fact, most of the fighting our rangers end up doing is against animals; some of the larger and more monstrous ones."

“Then perhaps sailing is something that we could learn together.” She said with a smile as Valius admitted that he’d never learned to sail. She didn’t know how Ithilien men thought about women, but from what she knew about Valius, it seemed that they were a bit more progressive about things. It wouldn’t be an affront for a woman to want to learn something that a man would traditionally do and that thought made her smile.

“Ducks, yes. They migrate over Al’Tir for the warm waters when the winter comes to the mountains.” He was describing what a goose was and Bryn laughed brightly at the mention of having to chase the silly animals from the palace. “I can only imagine the sight of armed men and women having to chase a bird from a palace fountain.”

“I love animals. I use to beg my father for a pet, but it would be nearly impossible to keep one here in the palace. I always fancied a dog, but the beasts here in Al’Tir are too vicious for a girl.” She said with a shrug as he continued to tell her about the animals in Ithilien.

“Larger animals? Surely nothing as big as Xand.” She said, mentioning the spider that Dax used for a steed. “And he’s just a baby!”

Bryn laughed as she watched the shiver pass down Valius’s spine. It seemed her beloved had a fear of spiders. They were very fearful creatures, but they were also very loyal. She would have to teach him that the arachnids weren’t all bad.

“Is it cold in the mountains this time of year? I’ve always wanted to see snow. From what I’ve heard there’s something beautiful about it.” She asked both Masha and Valius. She hoped she wasn’t annoying them with the questions that she had, but she was genuinely interested in the land that she would soon be queen of

Valius grimaced and blushed as Bryn laughed at his obvious displeasure and shuddering at the mere thought of that horrid thing Dax rode. He held his tongue for the moment, not wanting to snap at her out of his embarrassment.

Masha picked up though, sensing the young king's shame and his frustration at it. "Our spiders don't get as big as Xand, no. The big wolf spiders only get about as big as a man's chest, not counting the legs. But they hunt in groups which makes them dangerous to people all the same."

She stretched out her legs, feeling fairly sweltering even in the shade in her ranger's leathers. "But there are animals Xand's size in our lands. Bigger even, if you're in the South. Tyrants are bigger than a house with teeth as long as your forearm," she shook her head, "And in the North there are wyverns, though they usually hunt whales out at sea, but every now and again one comes south to raid cattle. And whales and sharks in the sea, of course."

Valius added in, "The gargants are bigger than Xand too, once they're grown. They're domesticated though; not that they aren't fierce if they're mishandled." He shrugged, "But most of our dangerous animals aren't quite that size. They have their nasty tricks and surprises though. Especially the smart ones."

And that wasn't even getting into the monsters.

But Bryn seemed happy to move on and that was fine by Valius. "It's also a little colder in the mountains. In the highest mountains there'll be snow. Some of them are snow capped all year round. But the first regular snow fall is months away yet, again, except in the mountains. They'll get snow in a month or so, give or take."

He smiled, "When we pass through for the wedding, perhaps we'll take a detour. The orogs shouldn't be too restless yet."

Bryn shivered at the description of some of the animals that lived in the lands of her husband to be’s kingdom. She reached out and took his hand, squeezing it as Masha described some of the fearsome animals that might be lurking. She was familiar with the beasts that lived in Al’Tir, but in a new land she would be fair game.

Then Valius started to talk about the snow that would be coming and she couldn’t help but smile. She could imagine seeing her first snowfall and she knew it would be a magical moment. Made even more so by the fact that she’d be sharing it with Valius.

“Oh, do not make special plans just for me. I’m very patient.” She said as he talked about taking a detour. “I’m just as eager to see my new homeland as I am to see the snow.”

The conversation went along at an easy pace as the afternoon grew longer. The spoke of many things, animals and plants from each kingdom. Bryn was truly enjoying the company of the man that she was falling in love with and she couldn’t wipe the smile off her face. She held his hand, stroking the back of it as Masha and Dax joined in the conversation, a sense of contentment coming over her.

As the call was given for dinner, she allowed Valius to help her to her feet, Masha and Dax moving ahead of them to clear the hall for their entrance. She smoothed out the fabric of his fine shirt, smiling up at him.

“Would it be wrong of me to ask for a kiss, my lord?” She asked, her belly already quivering at the thought of kissing him once more.

He smiled down at her, her hands firmly held in his. "Not wrong on my account, Bryn. But as your father isn't here, it's Dax who's our chaperone. Perhaps we should ask him," he looked over her at Masha and nodded.

Masha grinned and grabbed Dax by the front of his armor, pulling herself to him and kissing him hard and hungry on the lips.

Valius smirked, "He seems to be busy, so we'll assume he's all right with it." The king stepped close to Bryn and leaned down, his lips hovering over hers for a moment just to smell the aroma of her hair and skin, then their lips met.

Gods, maybe the prophecy was right and she was a goddess after all. Her lips answered his surprising vigor and hunger, their kiss growing deeper and longer, his tongue slipping out to just brush the soft fullness of her lips.

A faint smacking pop sound told him that Dax and Masha had finished. Valius broke the kiss and beamed down at his bride to be. "Rot and blight, that makes me hunger for more than food."

He linked their arms and they proceeded down the hall to the entrance, pausing as Dax and Masha went ahead of them. A short fanfare played and they entered, the eyes of the dining company upon them as they strode into the dining room.

Bryn giggled and blushed as her guard’s eyes went wide as Masha pulled him down for a smoldering kiss. She was happy to see Dax with a woman that was both his equal and made him happy. Her thoughts were halted as Valius stepped forward and leaned down, his lips hovering over hers for a moment.

She could smell the forest on his skin, a scent that was unique to Valius alone. She closed her eyes and sighed as his lips pressed against hers. It was a wonderful sensation, she thought as she kissed him with a passion that she didn’t know she had. The pearl that he’d played with so expertly earlier made her ache again as it throbbed with remembrance. She pressed herself more firmly against him, her lips parting to accept the tongue that sought entrance into her mouth.

He tasted just as good as he smelled, she thought as she blushed anew. Her fingers curled against the fine linen of his shirt and she never wanted to let go. She heard the kiss that Dax and Masha shared end and she sighed in disappointment as Valius broke their own. She stared up at him with a smile, a gleam in her eye that told him that she hungered for more than food as well.

As he took her arm, she felt as if she were the most important person in the world. She had never felt more alive then she did when she was with Valius. As they paused at the entrance to the great hall to let the fanfare play, she leaned into him with whisper.

“I ache for you again, Val.” She confessed, a cheeky grin on her face as she took in the look on his face. She couldn’t help but giggle again as he was forced to lead them to their spot, all the eyes of Al’Tir upon the couple.

She was the best girl in all of the world, he was convinced of it. The fact that she could be so sweetly naughty was what put her over the top. That cute, hot, sultry whisper of her ache, coming right before the doors opened was masterful. He looked at her for a moment with a gobsmacked expression somewhere in the middle of happiness, frustration, answering arousal, and shock.

He was able to get moving however, her giggle making him shake his head and smile. She was new to all this but she already knew how to tease a man. The young king found that he rather liked it.

Though it fired his imagination and made him all the more desirous of that time when he could be with her. Which was the point, he supposed.

They walked through the room, eyes on them, until coming to a pair of seats at the high table. There was some murmuring as they moved about to their seats; he wondered if it was due to the way Bryn was dressed, their walking arm-in-arm, or due to news of the attack this morning. Valius stepped away from Bryn to pull her chair out for her. Once she was seated, he turned and gave a half-bow to Aldor before sitting himself.

Aldor stood up and raised a goblet, "To all of you here, for your company, and to the gods who have blessed us anew for seeing their omens and following their will." The company raised their own glasses and then drank. As Aldor say back down the servants moved in from the side of the hall to begin the meal. It was not the massive feast of the day before but it was still a large and sumptuous repast.

Valius thanked the servants who brought his food to him, the lower class folk seeming almost confused by his doing so. It smelled wonderful and he was suddenly aware he had eaten nothing since a scant breakfast that morning. Before he tore into his meal, he did lean over to Aldor, "Your Majesty, Lord Magnus and I will be at your disposal afterwards to continue negotiations. I do wonder if anything was learned of the item brought back from our ride today. Though I well understand if that is a topic for later on as well."

Bryn had long learned to ignore the whispers of people as she walked into a room. It was easier now that she was arm and arm with a handsome man that would be her husband. As he pulled out her chair, she sat gracefully beside his seat, a smile on her lips as he bowed to her father and then took his own seat.

The toast that her father gave was appropriate and heartfelt and she gave him a smile as everyone raised their own glasses and drank of the sweet wine. She reached over and placed her hand on Valius’s knee, squeezing it with a smile as the food was served. It wasn’t sexual contact, but one that let him know that she was there for him.

She listened absently to their conversation as she helped herself to the spiced meat and vegetables that were paraded before them. Her father was quiet for a long moment before he turned his gaze towards the two of them and thought about his words carefully.

“The weapon has provided us with few answers. The burning did much damage and I fear that we might not know how it works. I am glad to know that you and Lord Magnus are willing to continue the negotiations after dinner.” He said before he took a drink from his wine. “I must tell you that the council voted this afternoon to award Bryn her own title and lands. She will be invested before you leave for Ithilien and will begin receiving tributaries from the land immediately.”

Bryn was stunned at the revelation and she looked at her father with a face that showed it. He had given her a title? She was now a Duchess? That single act meant more to her than he would ever know.

“Thank you, Papa.” She said in a soft voice as the great king smiled towards her. “It is a great honor and one that I do not feel I deserve.”

“Wear it proudly, daughter, because soon you will be awarded an even higher title.” Aldor said, his smile growing sad at the thought that she would soon be leaving him.

The news about the weapon was discouraging but not unexpected. The Glacans had burned it for a reason. Still, if the Fire Nation with their great knowledge and skill in metalwork couldn't figure it out, then it was truly something new and grand.

And likely incredibly dangerous. They needed to get one of those things intact. He started to formulate ideas, given the men currently at his command, but then pushed them aside. Not now.

He did smile and nod approvingly at Aldor's other news though. "Excellent. A wise decision." Bryn seemed stunned and he gave her hand a squeeze, "It's well deserved, My Lady Bryn. You're more noble than anyone I've ever met; you should have a title to go with it." And soon she'd have others. Though there was only one that he wanted for her; wife.

He'd find out during the negotiations what title she'd have and where her new lands were, the kind of wealth they contained and so on. It would be something to factor into the negotiations and planning. It would also give them a convenient reason and place for visits to the Fire Nation.

As they began to eat, Valius brought up what he'd hoped would not be a bad subject for conversation. "Your Majesty, is there some private place where the royal family or their retainers practices with arms? Bryn and Dax have expressed some interest in observing the ways of fighting of my people, as well as seeing our marksmanship. I thought some more private and isolated spot would be good for that."

Actually he wanted Claudius and Masha to start teaching Bryn tonight. But he wasn't sure how Aldor would react to that; he'd changed his mind about even allowing Bryn to be married but teaching her to fight and shoot might be too much for the man.

Bryn felt a strange sense of pride as Valius seemed pleased that she was now a title Lady of Al’Tir. He squeezed her hand and she smiled at him, her heart swelling with pride that the man that loved her was also proud. She wanted so badly to kiss him in that moment, but she was forced to restrain herself for the sake of propriety.

Aldor listened to the young king ask about a place to practice his arms in private. He thought about it for a moment, considering what was said. “We have no need to practice the art of war in private, Valius. However, if you wish to do so you might use the Court of Lions. It is where the youth are trained under the eyes of the soldiers. It is private and you should not be disturbed there.”

“I can show him where it is after dinner, Papa. If you would allow us a few moments before the negotiations begin.” Bryn mentioned, smiling at her father with the brightest of expressions.

The meal was peaceful and sumptuous, more simple then had ever been seen in Al’Tir but it seemed appropriate for the delegation from Ithilien. It showed them that the Fire Nation was committed to solving the problem that many of their poor citizens faced. Bryn noticed that both Queen Sophi nor Charissa were not in the room. She carefully schooled her expression. She felt badly for her father and her hand squeezed Valius’s, letting him know of her sorrow.

“Papa, Valius and I have talked about having the ceremony in Ithilien. Why don’t you come back with us and see his kingdom?” She asked him in a soft voice, hoping that the suggestion was alright with Valius. “It would do you good to see all of his splendor as well.”

Court of Lions? He liked the name. Though if it was where the new recruits were trained it would only be so secluded...but it was the best they could do. There would be no way to keep Aldor or his people from finding out that Bryn was learning martial skills eventually anyway. As long as it didn't cause any trouble with the negotiations, then so be it.

He did smile at Bryn, "If His Majesty wishes then that will be fine, though if you wish to just go there with Masha and Claudius, that would be well also. I'm sure I can be guided there another time." The negotiations needed to happen quickly. Which meant not only that they should start as soon as possible but that they would likely go far into the night. This was likely the last time he'd see Bryn before tomorrow.

He was a bit worried when Bryn broached the subject of the wedding to Aldor. He'd known that previously the other man had wanted it to be here. The appearance of the Glacans could have changed that however. It could also be a sticking point with the nobility of the Fire Nation. "It is something we discussed," he acknowledged, "though there are benefits on either side of things. Should we hold it in Ithilien, your presence would be a great honor and a happiness to us both, I'm sure. It may also provide a means to get some of the items and agreed terms delivered directly back with you, Your Majesty, a way to prove our agreement is in good faith."

It might also let him take some of the strain off. And if he did wish Valius or his children to be his heir, it would let him get some further measure of his rulership. "It may also be the case that we could have a ceremony in both nations. But in either course, Your Majesty would be welcome to visit my lands."

Aldor listened as both explained their plans and proposals. He knew it would cause problems with the nobles of Al’Tir if the ceremony were not held there. He assumed Valius was facing the same situation. It was the curse of being the ruler of a nation. Your own wants and needs were put aside for the needs of many.

If he were still a young man, Aldor probably would have left Sophi. He probably would have sired more heirs and perhaps even found love again. Sadly, that wasn’t to be his life and now he was looking to the young man beside him to champion his cause into the future. He was also entrusting his beautiful daughter into his care. The very thought darkened his mood.

“We shall discuss all of that this evening. Bryn, you must remember that this simply isn’t up to you to decide.” He watched as a little bit of the light went out of his daughter’s eyes and he sighed. “But we shall do our best to please everyone.”

That was the end of the conversation and Bryn nodded her head, turning back to her meal without another word. She knew when her father was in a dark mood and it was always best to let him calm. She wondered what was going through his mind. She knew he didn’t want to let her go but her place was with Valius. He would have to learn to live with that thought.

“Val, perhaps it would be better for Enna, Masha, and Claudius to meet in my chambers this evening. I have a lot I must learn about Ithilien culture before the negotiations are finished.” She said, looking at her beloved as if to tell him that this was a way to perhaps begin her training without anyone knowing.

“Val?” Bryn cringed when she heard her father’s voice. Her blue eyes turned towards him and she saw the slight smile on his face. “Nicknames already?”

“It seemed right, Papa.” She said, a blush staining her cheeks as she bowed her head as he laughed.

“You are very much like your mother.” Bryn was stunned by the statement. Her father had never talked about her mother before and now her gaze went back to him with a questioning look. “She did the same thing for me.”

Valius understood, or thought he did, the concerns that weighed on the other monarch's mind. Perpetuating the kingdom and the line were always worries but often far off ones. For Aldor, they were front and center. Bryn was not a princess, though her children would have some claim to the throne, and Charissa seemed to have no suitors within the Fire Nation or without.

For a moment, Valius wondered if Charissa could just become Queen and rule that way until she found a suitable husband...but even if Al'Tir lay allowed for it, she'd be a terrible Queen.

Which led to other possibilities; adoption or more children. Queen Sophi...she didn't look like she had any affection for her husband. She probably wouldn't be open to having more children. Adoption was an option, or it was in Ithilien, but he didn't know how it worked here in Al'Tir. Aldor was probably too good a man to take a royal concubine or mistress and have more children that way either.

Pehaps if Aldor came to Ithilien, he would meet someone he would be attracted enough to for such a thing to happen. Of course, Valius didn't know if there was a legal provision for such a thing in Al'Tir...but if there wasn't, Aldor could declare it. He was the king, wasn't he?

The forest ruler made a note to try and ask his father-in-law to be about it when he got the chance. And if it seemed like a good time to bring it up.

He tuned back into the conversation as Aldor mentioned Bryn's mother. The look on his love's face told him that this was a rare bit of insight into the woman. Would it be good to ask more? Or would it needle Aldor further? Valius didn't want to cause the man pain. "Bryn has shown me her mother's picture and told me a little of her. I am sorry for her loss to you both. She seems to have been a great woman."

A wistful smile crossed Aldor’s face as he thought about the love that he’d lost. “Tali was certainly a great woman. She was kind and funny, lovely and beautiful. I see her in you, Bryn.”

Bryn smiled as her father reached across Valius to stroke her cheek in a tender gesture. “Papa, it isn’t too late to find someone like that again.” She said in a soft voice, knowing that she was probably overstepping her bounds.

Aldor gave her a small grin as he sat back in his seat once more. “It’s too late for an old man like me, Bryn. I’ll leave the pursuit of love and children to you both.”

Bryn blushed at her father’s words and she shared a look with Valius. She smiled at him, her hand holding his tightly. She was in love and saw a bright future with the man at her side but there was a block called politics that was stopping their happily ever after.

“I hope to bless Valius with many children, Papa.” She told him, her blue eyes shining. “And perhaps one day those children might do you proud by bringing together two kingdoms.”

Bryn's eyes were shining and it quite took his breath away. He held her hand tightly and smiled back at her. He felt a hot rush of happiness in his chest at the pure feeling in those glorious blue eyes. He never expected to marry for love at any time in his life. His marriage was always meant to be a political one. But now it was a political marriage and a loving one.

Well, it would be once they wrangled the negotiations. That wasn't going to be fun. But he would endure it and do his best; Bryn was worth it. Though he would not bankrupt or starve anyone to have her.

He did cough a bit as she mentioned bearing many children to her father. In his experience, most fathers did not want to hear about their daughters doing such a thing or even think that it would or could happen until the girls were magically pregnant.

But all the same, he wasn't about to look unsupportive. Particularly since he did want that also; or at least to practice the lead-up to hear bearing many children. "Indeed, Your Majesty, I had thought of making some agreement between us regarding that, though it may be a matter for the future. Perhaps ours sons could rule both lands, or one child mine and one yours. I have even considered having my children brought up not only in your religion but fostered in Al'Tir for a time. They should know both sides of their mighty heritage."

“All fine plans, I’m sure, but we are putting the cart before the horse.” Aldor said as he listened to the two talk about the plans that they had for their future children. “In fact, Valius, if you are ready perhaps we might begin negotiations.”

Aldor stood from this spot, motioning for his council to follow as they started for the room that the negotiations had taken place earlier. Bryn looked at Valius and gave him a nervous smile.

“Keep your temper in check, my love.” She said as she gently smoothed the collar of his shirt, her fingers playing with the clay disc that he now wore. “Keep the outcome in mind. If all else fails, call for a private council with my father and talk it out without the council around.”

She wanted to kiss him but she kept herself in check, giving him a smile as she watched him stand. “I shall be waiting for word in my chambers with Enna, Claudius, and Masha. Don’t keep us waiting.” She teased, her blue eyes wishing him the best of luck.

Valius sighed. He really hated this. But it had be done and had to be borne; he would only be free of politics in his grave. Bryn's encouragement helped and he smiled down at her as she made minute adjustments to the collar of his shirt and played with the clay medallion she'd given him. "I shall not rise to anger, I promise. As for the speed of matters...we shall see."

He bowed over her hand and kissed it before heading the direction that Aldor and his council had. Lord Magnus joined him, the aging nobleman bowing to Bryn as he passed. "Surprised they called us back to the table so soon, Sire." The shrewd courtier looked at his king. "I know you know why. Care to tell me?"

"Not just yet, Magnus," he demurred. "I'm sorry, my friend. But I'm sure you've put some of it together from what you learned of Claudius already."

"I have," he sighed, "but I do like to be sure. Ah, well." He took a deep breath, "I have put together a few more aggressive bargains and positions, Sire, that should serve us well. Whatever the cause, this need for haste should serve us well."

"All of us, I hope," the young king answered, "Our own folk and those of the Fire Nation."

"Of course, Sire. It's not wise to try and cheat one's allies."

"Let's hope they feel the same way, Lord Magnus," Valius said with a sigh. Then he set his shoulders and the two of them walked into the council chamber.

~~~~~~~~~​

"What are we here for?" Claudius looked a bit grumpy as Enna knocked at Bryn's door.

"To teach the young lady, Sir Claudius," Enna answered him with a smile. "You know Valius. Even without what happened today, he'd want her to know how to fight and shoot. She also wants to know more about our land and our ways."

He grunted, "Can't teach her to shoot in here, unless she's got a wall she don't particularly like."

Masha sighed, rolling her eyes at Enna and then turning her gaze on her mentor, "Behave yourself, old goat. Bryn is going to be our Queen so we might as well start serving her now."

He thought a moment. "Now when you put it like that, it makes more sense."

Bryn had returned to her room after dinner, Dax taking up his usual post outside the door as she changed into something more presentable. She put on a gown of grey linen, one that was both functional and less scandalous than the green one she’d been wearing. As she waited for Valius’s group to arrive, she took time to pull out the gifts she had selected for them the day before and brought them into the great room.

When the knock came, she answered the door and greeted them all with a wide smile. “Come in.” She said, moving aside and directing them to take a seat. “I have something for each of you.”

She moved and grabbed the gifts, placing each in their hands. She hoped Enna liked the dress she had chosen and Masha the sword. For Claudius, she wasn’t sure, but she hoped that he liked the bawdy charm of harem women that she’d found. She was nervous, standing before them not as a queen but as a young woman that wanted so badly to please the people that would soon be her friends and subjects.

“Valius had mentioned that it would be best if I learned to defend myself. I do not know anyone better than you three to teach me both the art of war and the art of diplomacy. Being a queen is a frightening matter, especially for a girl who has spent her life serving in the Temple.” She was nervous, her hands twisting together as she waited to see how they would judge her.

"Oh, this is wonderfully decadent!" Enna beamed as she held the dress up to herself and looked it over. "The Princess wore something similar yesterday, didn't she? Oh, I can't wait to see people's faces back home when they see me in this."

"I can't wait to see you in it," Claudius said with a good natured leer. The old ranger was taking the cloth off of the object Bryn had given him while he spoke and when it came off, he blinked. Then he grinned. Then he laughed, a wicked, bawdy laugh that fit the bawdy piece perfectly. "And here I was thinking you were a pristine angel, my lady," he said to Bryn. "Got surprises, don't you?"

Masha had already unsheathed the sword Bryn had given her, carefully examining the weapon. The ranger was smiling; her eyes bright as she looked down the elegant blade.

At Bryn's words, the three foreigners exchanged a series of looks. Then Claudius chuckled, "You're an earnest one, aren't you? Well, that'll serve you well. King Valius deals with politics and he's good at them but he doesn't care for 'em. Especially not at home or in the bedroom."

Enna sighed, "You'll have to learn, dear, that certain men," she looked pointedly at Claudius, "and even some women where we are live entirely apolitically and say whatever they think or what will offend most sensibilities." She smiled at the obviously nervous redhead, "But you needn't worry. I'm your friend." That comment drew a sharp eyed glance from Claudius. "I'll help school you for our court and political games as best I can."

"And you know that we'll get you in good for fighting," Masha added, re-sheathing her new gift. "If I had my way, we'd start right now...but you've been sweet, so we can have culture lessons tonight if you'd rather."

Bryn was beaming when Enna fawned over her new dress. She had been worried that it was too risqué for her, but the way that she smiled and looked over the delicate fabric. “It’s the newest style in Al’Tir. My sister was wearing something similar yesterday. I’ve never been daring enough to wear something like that.”

Claudius’s comment made her blush but she smiled as he grinned and laughed over the bawdy item. “Oh, no sir. I’m far from pristine. Perhaps a bit sheltered, but definitely not pristine.” Her blush great more as she thought about what Valius had done to her that afternoon. Even just the brief time that she’d had with him had opened her eyes to a whole wide world that she’d missed out on.

Masha was silent but pleased and it warmed Bryn’s heart to know that all three were warming up to her. Maybe this situation wouldn’t be so frightening after all. Then Claudius dropped the bombshell that had her cheeks as bright as her hair. It seemed that the people from Ithilien were much more free with their tongues when it came to matters of relationships and sex.

“I am glad to know that I will have friends.” She said to Enna as the woman smiled at her. “And I’m glad to know that I might buy my way out of a difficult situation with gifts!” She said with a laugh as she made her joke.

“You will all find me studious of any lesson you wish to teach.” She glanced over at Claudius and gave him a warm smile. “And Sir Claudius, I will do my best to live up to the expectations that you have. I know that I must prove myself as a good match to Valius and it is your concern that I be strong and courageous. I will do my best.”

Claudius scoffed, though his eyes were not hard, "Strong and courageous is all well and good, my lady, but I'd rather you were wise and level headed. Be a good influence on that brash young king of mine." He looked at her carefully, his gaze not lecherous or admiring but penetrating, as if seeing things about her that the eye normally could not. "Steel...aye, you've got that. But we'll temper it."

Masha nodded, "Enna, are we doing culture or martial tonight? We've been talking about doing either long enough."

The deceptively demure countess considered for a few moments, "I think...we should start on martial training first. I'll go and fetch some of the books we brought along so Bryn can start reading up on the rest."

"Fine then," Claudius looked around the room they were in. "Let's get a good space cleared here and then get started."

~~~~~~~~~​

"Of course we do respect the religious beliefs of Al'Tir," Magnus said in his smooth, cultured voice, "In His Majesty's proposal, you can see that we have declared that any children resulting from the union of King Valius and Duchess Bryn would be raised in the faith of this land."

Valius then cleared his throat, "Further, my lords, I believe that this is a land of great strength and character. I have resolved and will happily place in writing that should conditions allow it, when they are old enough, our children will be fostered here with their grandfather and learn the ways of this land as well as mine." Grandchildren might help Aldor immensely; he'd seen them do wonders for other men he'd known. "Let them be children of both nations; knowing and revering both, taking the strength of both. It would be a bold new start for us all."

Magnus nodded to himself. Fostering was a tradition within Ithilien but it had never been done outside of the nation before. "Your Majesty King Aldor and my lords of the council, our proposal is now before you. The shipments of fruits, grains, and the rest of the provender, the beasts to be given, the military agreements, and the addition of how the children of Duchess Bryn will be raised are all within. It is right and proper, done in good faith. Let us take counsel now but I say this, it is a good match and well made. Accept it, as it does the best by both of our nations, and let joy replace this political nattering."

Valius couldn't help but smile. As much as he could complain, Magnus was enjoying this immensely. He did love a captive audience for his oratory.

~~~~~~~~~​

The sitting room in Bryn's chambers had changed dramatically. All the furniture had been pushed against the walls to make it as clear and open a space as possible. In the middle of that space, Bryn and Masha stood. The experienced female fighter was in a relaxed but ready stance, though no weapon was in her hand, showing Bryn the way it should look.

"All right, that's the basic position. Now advance!" Both woman moved forward in a particular stepping motion that was almost dance-like. "Right! Turn left! Advance! Back!"

Claudius was watching, walking about the rough circle they'd made, an unlit pipe in his mouth. "Lift your feet, girl, don't drag them. One rough spot and you'll be on your pretty little ass with a knife in your guts."

They were teaching her how to move first. All of the Ithilien fighting arts were based heavily on movement; being agile and outmaneuvering your enemy were key. Footwork was essential.

Masha and Bryn moved together. Claudius's eyes were sharp as he watched the girl; she moved well, particularly for someone who'd never trained before. But then she was a dancer, wasn't she? "Fighting and dancing are the same thing, girl," Claudius said as Bryn followed Masha through a set of movements, "it's rhythm and pace. Controlling the movement, yours and theirs, is how you stay alive."

The council from Al’Tir retired to speak amongst themselves after the speech of the representative from Ithilien. The discussion was fierce between them, hushed tones rising to defend certain ideas that had been presented and other ideas that were offensive. All the while Aldor sat quietly, listening to his nobles fight and squabble between themselves. He’d had enough and he would not allow his daughter’s marriage become mired in a political wasteland. She was young, pure, and in love. She didn’t need to wait any longer.

Aldor stood, looking at the nobles that had suddenly hushed as he looked across the table at the man that had claimed Bryn’s heart. He would anger a few by his next few words, but he would bring together the future of his kingdom along with the future of the Ithiliens.

“King Valius, we have considered the proposal of your kingdom for the hand of the Lady Bryn tu Al’Tir. I believe that we have come to a conclusion. With the trade ensured between our two nations as well as the generous offer of fruits, grains, and beasts as well as your agreement that any children born from your union will be brought up in the religion of Al’Tir, I consent that you may marry my daughter.”

“Furthermore, as a gesture of good faith, I will consent to the union taking place in Ithilien. Losing Bryn will be a hard thing for my country to accept, but I know that she is in the best of hands. I expect that you will hold her above all others in your realm and that you will protect her to the best of your ability. This marriage may be undertaken.”

With that the negotiations were finished and the fate of the Bryn Alerum had been changed forever.

#########################

Bryn was panting as she went through each step that Claudius called out. His eye was sharp and she was sure that she was not doing just what he wanted. The steps reminded her of a dance and it was easy to learn but difficult to master. She took the lesson about her feet to heart, taking a deep breath to center herself as she went through the movements with Masha once more.

“A dance of death?” She asked Claudius as he came close to her once again. “How often will I truly need to use these moves, Sir Claudius? Surely I will not need to take a life.”

He acted as if she were in a life and death situation. She knew that there were men out there that wanted to harm her but with a guard at her side at all times, surely she wasn’t in grave danger. Still, she knew that Valius had wanted her to learn the moves that would keep her safe and she set her mind right to allow Claudius’s lesson to sink in.

“Again then?” She asked, looking at Masha as they reset their position.

Before they could start another set, a loud commotion sounded in the hall. Bryn looked towards her door, hearing the loud conversation of men coming closer.

“What’s going on?” She asked, looking at the three assembled as Masha pushed her further into the room and Claudius stepped towards the door.

Valius was stunned by Aldor's action. The council was talking among themselves while he and Magnus had briefly conferred over suspected sticking points and counters they might make. Then the king stood and silence fell before he spoke.

Valius had expected the negotiations would at least take all night, even into the next day. But no more. Aldor had firmly and decisively put his foot down with an authority that brooked no disobedience. It was a powerful moment.

And he understood why. It was all for and about Bryn. Aldor had seen the honest love she had for him and did not want it tormented or tested by political bickerings now. And he wanted her safe, which in this case might well mean getting her clear of Al'Tir altogether.

Valius rose as well, Lord Magnus doing so a moment later. "King Aldor, generous beyond measure are you, to give Ithilien the most precious thing in all your lands. Your expectations of me will be met and more; I will treasure her as never told before in the annals of my kingdom and such a friendship will spring from it for our two lands than never shall either be without an ally."

He bowed then, Magnus following suit. "With your permission, Your Majesty, I would go to my fiancee and tell her this news. We will to the temple and pray and be handfasted before any witnesses who wish to attend." It was not a wedding but it was the formal acknowledgment of engagement in Ithilien. Holding it in public here would do much to alleviate any friction holding the wedding in his lands would cause.

~~~~~~~~~​

Claudius growled, actually growled low in his throat, "You've iron, girl, and brains too but you need to use them. You'll use these skills as often as you need to. Or once, badly, and you'll be dead."

He made sure to catch her eyes. She had to know this was serious business. "You're thinking you've got Dax and you'll have more guards, aye? King Valius'll protect you. What if they're dead protecting you already? What if the king's away on business? You think your enemies'll wait until your in the safest possible place to attack you?"

Normally, he would have attacked her at this point. Not actually hurt her, but knocked her down and pinned her, put the right amount of fear into her. But the heads of all in the room jerked as they heard loud male voices in corridors.

They were drawing closer, talking very loudly as if arguing. Claudius looked at Enna, who immediately grabbed Bryn by the shoulders and hauled her back behind the bed as Masha and her mentor moved to either side of the door. They could hear Dax speaking outside. "Who goes? Speak and be known!"

"We are rangers of Ithilien," came a voice, "here to find our captain. We must speak with him it is urgent."

After a moment, there was a snort, "Give me your message," Dax answered, "I will carry it to him."

"This is not a matter for outsiders," the unseen man who'd spoken protested, "it must be him!"

"I am not an outsider," Dax answered, smugness evident in his voice. "King Valius made me a Ranger Knight this day, as you would know if you were truly his men. Speak now and tell me who you are!"

Claudius threw the bedroom door open, Masha darting out of it to assist Dax. The old ranger followed a moment later, closing the door behind him, Enna flying it to it to lock it after him.

In the hallway, the men who'd been approaching Bryn's room were frozen by Dax's revelation and the appearance of Masha and Claudius. The were dressed in garments like that of the rangers from a distance but up close they were clearly impersonators. The shock broke and they acted, two of them drawing knives and throwing themselves at the defenders, the other three turning and running back the way they had come.

Back