BDSM study participation

BDSMstudy

Virgin
Joined
Jan 20, 2015
Posts
4
A research group at Texas Tech University is conducting a study on sexuality and mental health. We would like to invite you to participate in an online survey, which will take about 20 minutes to complete. To participate, you must be 18 or older and reside in the United States.

If you would like to participate, please follow this link:
https://ttupsych.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6oicmStEFXF8SJT

Your participation in this study is greatly appreciated. You are welcome to pass this link on to other eligible individuals.

This study has been approved by the Human Research Protection Program at Texas Tech University. If you have any questions, please contact the principal investigator, Dr. Kelly Cukrowicz, at kelly.cukrowicz@ttu.edu.


Sincerely,
Suicide and Depression Research Program
Dr. Kelly Cukrowicz, Principal Investigator
Texas Tech University
 
I find it very interesting that upon looking at this "study" the majority of the questions, after ascertaining the person was involved in BDSM, had to do with how worthless your life seems to you. Most of the questions had to do with how badly you wanted to commit suicide.

Why is it that outsiders think that if someone engages in BDSM they must either be mentally ill or have some sort of inner self-loathing?

Maybe I'm being oversensitive or just tired of it being insinuated that we are not "normal"

Why can it not be just the thing that we do?
 
Thank you for your feedback.

The purpose of this study is to learn more about sexual activities and other experiences among BDSM practitioners. We hope that our research can help improve mental health care for individuals in the BDSM community. Anyone who lives in the United States and is 18 years of age or older is eligible to participate. In this study, you will be asked to complete a survey about your thoughts, feelings and experiences. It will take about 20 minutes to complete. There are no more than minimal risks associated with this study. You may skip questions or stop answering the questions and exit the survey at any time.

Your participation will contribute to an area of research that has been understudied. This research is aimed at clarifying the possible risks and benefits to mental health in the BDSM community and has the potential to increase awareness and acceptance of the BDSM community. The survey will not request any specific identifying information to protect your privacy.
 
I find it very interesting that upon looking at this "study" the majority of the questions, after ascertaining the person was involved in BDSM, had to do with how worthless your life seems to you. Most of the questions had to do with how badly you wanted to commit suicide.

Why is it that outsiders think that if someone engages in BDSM they must either be mentally ill or have some sort of inner self-loathing?

Maybe I'm being oversensitive or just tired of it being insinuated that we are not "normal"

Why can it not be just the thing that we do?

I gotta say, as someone who's had lifelong depression and who has had suicidal ideations at different points in my life, this is not, in any way, a worthless line of inquiry to pursue for psych research.

However, that's not touching on whether or not this is actually legit (tho probably is).
 
FYI the gender and sexuality questions suck majorly though
 
Do we get a sticker or t-shirt or something for completing the survey?
 
I was going to try to do this, but they lost me at "How many times have you done x activity?"

I'm old, and I've done a ton of things over the years, and my memory is horrendous. I can't even begin to guess. And given how often memory loss is associated with psychological disorders, I wish they'd taken that into account when they created the survey. Or at the very least, made it multiple choice ("never," "rarely," "sometimes," "often" or even just "0," "less than 5," "5-20," or "more than 20," etc.) instead of requiring the people taking the survey to enter a number that's almost surely not going to be accurate for each item.
 
I was going to try to do this, but they lost me at "How many times have you done x activity?"

I'm old, and I've done a ton of things over the years, and my memory is horrendous. I can't even begin to guess. And given how often memory loss is associated with psychological disorders, I wish they'd taken that into account when they created the survey. Or at the very least, made it multiple choice ("never," "rarely," "sometimes," "often" or even just "0," "less than 5," "5-20," or "more than 20," etc.) instead of requiring the people taking the survey to enter a number that's almost surely not going to be accurate for each item.

I thought the answer is always 42?
 
I find it very interesting that upon looking at this "study" the majority of the questions, after ascertaining the person was involved in BDSM, had to do with how worthless your life seems to you. Most of the questions had to do with how badly you wanted to commit suicide.

Why is it that outsiders think that if someone engages in BDSM they must either be mentally ill or have some sort of inner self-loathing?

FWIW, just because a study asks "are you suicidal?" doesn't automatically mean that the researcher is trying to stereotype BDSMers as suicidal. It can also mean that they're trying to debunk a stereotype that already exists.

Here's a professional profile of Prof. Cukrowicz: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/psy/people/kcukrowicz.php

"My research aims broadly to advance our understanding of suicide in older adults. I am primarily interested in understanding why older adults Caucasian males commit suicide at such a high rate compared to those in other groups. Specifically, I am interested in the interpersonal and emotional characteristics that confer risk for suicide in this population. My ultimate goal in understanding the processes at work in depression and suicide in older adults is to develop improved preventive and treatment methods for these problems."

I have no idea what her prejudices might be regarding BDSM, but I wouldn't be surprised if the angle for this study was something like "many medical professionals assume masochists/subs are at higher risk of self-harm - is that actually true?"
 
I wrote to Dr Cuckrowicz asking if the study was genuine, using the email address provided (identical to the one on the faculty profile) because there were some misspellings and I felt that some of the questions were odd, and I noticed that none of her department were researching sexuality and depression as of 2012 ( https://cukrowiczttupsych.wordpress.com/about/ ).

I got a response back from her confirming the authenticity of the study and thanking me for my feedback on the spelling.
 
I thought the answer is always 42?[/QUOTE said:
To do a really rough, quick conversion to metric, "double it and add 30".
An example:
Q: If you have a 6 pack in the USA, how many metric (i.e. Canadian) beers is that?
A: Double it (6 + 6 is 12) and add 30 = 42 metric beers. Cool!
Interestingly this completely verifies the quoted response that the answer is always 42! You cannot argue with the straightforward calculation and finite answer. Well done Miles!

Extra credit: Who are the brothers I quoted to provide my answer? Hint - B & D start their first names and they sound funny to us 'Mericans.

Conclusions: I guess I shouldn't participate in the survey. Apparently my mind is so "something" it cannot help but extrapolate. That might compensate for those who take the survey on Opposite Day, but that has yet to be verified. Better to not lead the good doctor into Left Field. On the other hand, I would give her research assistants excellent practice performing significance, accuracy, reliability and error calculations. Hhhmmmmm, I think I shall participate. The thought of those research assistants crunching numbers incessantly has motivated me! Ha!
 
Back
Top