Outlaws to the End (HotCider & heartofcourage)

"I am crazy," he spoke against her ear, his breath a warm wisp against its shell. It was the response he would always give her. She had fallen in love with a mad man who was madly in love with her. Ian's breath became shaky. He was going to erupt. The antsy flame that flickered at the base of his cannon was dancing, and it made him tense. "I'm..." he tried to warn her, but this time, he came before he had the chance. His hand tightened on hers and his other hand had shifted from her cheek to grasp the front of her crotch, gripping her as his every muscle tensed. His hips pushed forward against her cushiony rear and his abdomen flexed as cum painted the walls within her. Each blast made Ian shudder as he filled her up. The pressure just bombarding her as the excess cum squirted out from between their union to drench his already drenched dress pants and undergarments.
 
Elizabeth shrieked as Ian erupted inside of her. The scalding hot bath of his cum against her pussy made her shake in her own orgasm, her cries following his as she felt his entire body tense up behind her. His fingers dug into her pelvis, mashing her clit until she swore that she saw stars or would turn inside out from the force of her orgasm.

“Oh God.” She panted out, her breath coming in sharp gasps as she felt him slowly starting to trickle out of her passage and down her inner thighs, coating her thoroughly in the mess that they had made.

“Jesus, Ian…that was fantastic.” She moaned, her head tipping back against his shoulder as she turned her head towards him, whimpering as their lips crashed together once more.

He had the ability to make her shiver and quake, coming back to beg for more. He was an addiction that she hoped she never kicked and she grinned as he pulled back from the kiss. If this was what love was, she wondered what she’d been doing with Stephen all that time. It had been wasted, she decided as she pressed small kisses to Ian’s slick cheek and neck, letting him know just how she felt about her man.
 
Ian had went limp against her, he rested against her back, his face nestled in her hair as he caught his breath. His grip loosened on her until his arms hung loosely at his sides.

Jesus, Ian...that was fantastic.

The thief had closed his eyes to keep the sweat that had gathered about them from getting in them. He managed a smile through his pants and jested, "Comes naturally."

Keeping his hand upon the overhead bar, he used it in support when Elizabeth in her exhaustion turned to smash her lips against his. He eased his hips back, allowing his member to slide out of her so that she could turn to face him. As she peppered his neck and face with kisses, Ian wrapped his free arm about her waist and leaned against her. He had her up against the car door, his lips taking hold of hers again in a sensual contortion.

He broke the kiss briefly so he could speak, his brown hues gleaming as they stared into her blues. It was dark in the alley except for a lone lamp, bathing it in gold. The moisture on his body seemed to glow against his Southern-tanned skin.

"I won't ever love anyone else," he swore to her. "And I won't let anyone ever take you from me."

He kissed her lips again before resting his forehead against her own and closing his eyes.

"You don't know how happy and lucky I feel to have you," he whispered.

He had been alone for so long, he would have never imagined scoring a babe like Elizabeth Darrow. She was everything he wanted in a woman. To think, he would be madly in love with a cage bird.

"I won't let anyone hurt you."

His fingers curled about her own on the bar. He was in no hurry to return to the hotel or for tomorrow's events to come. The night he had spent with Elizabeth had made him forget he was a bank robber. It had felt like they were already married. This was what their life was going to be like. No worries. He wanted it to last forever.
 
“Smug bastard.” She murmured, laughing softly as she noticed the way he smiled at her.

When their kiss broke, Elizabeth sighed as he pressed her against the door, his dark eyes staring into hers as he spilled out his thoughts and emotions to her. Her eyes went soft, her lips turning towards his as he leaned in to kiss her once more before he rested his forehead against hers to continue his confessions.

There was something about the way he was talking that made her feel uneasy. It was like he was telling her goodbye without saying it in so many words. She lifted her free hand as he curled his fingers around her own, touching his cheek gently until he opened his eyes to actually look at her.

“Ian…I’m yours, no matter what.’ She said softly, a soft smile on her lips. “No one’s going to hurt me and no one’s going to steal me away. You’re stuck with a crazy broad like me for the rest of your life.”
 
Ian smirked at her confession. "That don't sound too bad."

He held her, just wanting to hold her for as long as he could stand. He could feel how late it was. They needed to check back in at the hotel before the curfew. Loosening his embrace, he released the bar overhead and grasped his pants, tucking his cock away and fastening his pants.

"I don't mean to be the killjoy but we need to get back to the hotel before we're locked out for the night. I don't know about you, but I'm not plannin' on payin' this guy overtime," Ian informed. He then grasped the window crank by Elizabeth's hip and cranked down the window just enough so that his eyes were peering at the chauffeur.

"Hey, pal," Ian called.

The chauffeur whirled around. "Yes, Sir?"

A few dollars slipped through the window as Ian said, "Can you go to the store and get us some better drinks than the sugar water in here? Muscat, maybe a nice whiskey and bottles of coke. Get us back to the hotel afterwards, and I'll pay ya and we can get out of your hair."

"Of course, Sir." The driver took the dollars and left the alley. He thought he would buy Elizabeth some time to get dressed before the driver returned with the booze.

Leaning back, Ian walked backwards and plopped upon the seat with his legs spread comfortably wide. He then stretched his arms out across the top and groaned like an old man, "Ugh, I feel like I humped a truck."
 
“You think we really need that much booze to keep the party going?” Elizabeth asked as she pulled her panties up her legs, shimmying into them before she reached for the bra that had been thrown across the interior of the limo.

She had just put the straps over her shoulders, ready to snap it behind her back when she heard Ian’s statement. Her head popped up, the fedora still on sliding backwards until she got a good view at the man that was lounging like the king of the castle.

“Ian Darcy! You did not just compare me to a truck!” She scolded playfully, her hands going to her halfway naked hips as she narrowed her blue eyes at him. “If you really think that way then we’re obviously not doing something right.”

She shimmied across the carpet on her knees, pressing her body against his as he spread his legs wide in a comfortable stance. “But you know the great thing about not doing something right? It just means that we get to practice over and over again.”

She laughed softly, taking his fedora and placing it back on his mussed hair before she kissed him and reached for her black dress.
 
"It's somethin' we can drink throughout the night. We won't have a chauffeur no more, so we'll be covered at least," Ian replied.

He then bit his bottom lip playfully when she shrieked about being compared to a truck.

"Oh come on babe, in the South, men and trucks are inseparable. Take it as a compliment," he teased.

When she sexy-panthered over to him, Ian stared down at her from between his legs before watching her lips as she purred the words over and over. Grinning with naught, Ian said, "Can you say that again? Just like you did right then?"

She rested his fedora back upon his head and he captured her lips in a kiss sweet with honeyed love.

"Don't get too comfortable in those clothes, I'm gonna be rippin' em off later. We still gotta try out that tub. You ain't seen it yet, but boy is it nice."
 
Elizabeth grinned as he teased her with his thick southern charm. Shimmying into her dress, she presented her back to him for help with the zipper. Once it was secured again, she turned back towards her lover and pressed her lips to his cheek.

“I’m going to make love to my fella…over…and over…and over…and over.” She purred against his ear, laughing joyfully as she felt his arm snake around her hip, pulling her body firmly against his side.

“The tub, huh? Nope, I didn’t get a good look at it. Someone insisted that I color my hair as soon as we got into the room.” She said, her fingers tracing over his cheek as she turned his gaze towards her. “But I wouldn’t mind having a big strong man giving me a tour around the joint.”
 
Ian eased her back against the car seat and leaned over her, staring down into her blue eyes. "That's not all you're gonna be tourin'."

He kissed her lips, his arm curling tighter around her in their cuddle until a rapping of fingers were heard against the window. Ian turned his head and sighed irritably over her shoulder. "I really can't wait for us to get to that hotel."

This was the second time they were interrupted, and he was tired of it. Sitting up, Ian slid over to the door and rolled down the window as a plastic bag with a paper bag of booze within it was lowered into the limo.

"Thanks. Just please, for the love of God, get us to the hotel," Ian begged.

"In a jiffy, Sir," the chauffeur returned.

Ian rolled up the window and set the bags between his legs as he just leaned against the door. It felt as though everything was sapped from him. He wanted to just cry because he was desperate for him and his lovely to have some privacy.

"I'm about to go insane," Ian moaned.

He lazily crawled back toward the seat where Elizabeth was lounging and climbed back on top of her. He snuggled against her until they were as warm as a sleeping bag and he buried his face within her chest.

"Wake me when we're at the hotel," he muttered into her bosom and closed his eyes.

"The Other" Hotel

The building was enormous, rising for several floors. There was a doorman dressed in a finely-pressed red suit, already standing there and awaiting their entrance. The limo pulled up to the curb and the chauffeur was swift about getting out of the vehicle and opening the door. What he saw within the limo made his face pale with horror? It was a mess...and just thinking about having to clean it up made his stomach turn.

Ian was first to step out, his jacket and shirt hanging open in a disheveled mess and the bag of booze in his hand. He tugged Elizabeth along, not wanting to waste anymore time. Reaching into his pocket, he slapped the last of his cash against the chauffeur's chest and said, "Keep it, you earned every cent."

The chauffeur's eyes near popped from their sockets at the amount of cash.

Ian strode toward the doors with Elizabeth in tow. The doorman glanced him over and tried to stop him, by baring his path. "Sir, I can't permit you into this hotel dressed in such a ghastly way."

Ian shoved the doorman against the wall as he strode on by. "That's fine, 'cuz I'll permit myself!"

The attendant at the front desk greeted Ian with a bright smile, "Welcome back Mr. Beckman. Your wife sure is lovely tonight."

"You should see her after I'm done with her," Ian mischievously replied.

They entered the elevator and Ian pushed the button of the floor they were on. "I paid them not to disturb us, so we should be good. You're gonna love this room."

Once the elevator doors opened, he walked the red carpet past the numerous white doors with gold numbering until he found their room 7B. Reaching into his pocket, he removed the key, tossing it up before catching it in a cheerful manner. He stuck the key into the keyhole and turned it before pushing open the door and revealing the spacious suite to her.

"Here we are, Madame," Ian said in a manner so rich, he could have been staff.
 
Elizabeth was in shock when the door to the hotel room opened. She hadn’t been aware that Ian had switched hotels, nor had she really asked him to, but this was a very welcome surprise. The suite was large, plush, beautiful…everything that her life with Stephen should have been and wasn’t.

Unexpected tears welled in her eyes as she stepped into the room, looking around at the polished wood and beautiful crystal lights. Ian had done this just for her…just for her. The thought was breath taking and as she turned to look at him, she knew then that she would never be able to live without him.

“Oh, Ian…” She said, her voice catching in her throat as she rushed forward and wrapped her arms tightly around his chest. “Thank you so much. I can’t tell you how much everything has meant to me.”
 
Ian wrapped his arms about his woman, embracing her warmly as he buried his nose within the strands of her crimson hair. "You're worth every cent, Red. Every cent."

He held her in his arms for as long as he felt necessary. They weren't in a hurry and the night though not exactly midnight was still young. They didn't need to be anywhere anytime soon. He embrace loosened on her and he stroked her hair, smiling at her as he gazed into her sweet eyes. "We gotta get you into a bath. You smell like me."

He stroked his fingers through her hair, grasping the back of her neck before he graced her pink lips with a kiss. Releasing her, he went to the coffee table and set down the bag of alcohol.

"Go get the tub started, Gorgeous, and I'll whip us up some drinks."

He pulled out the Muscat reading the label, and then removed the whiskey. The chauffeur had even been kind enough to get them a mixer. He stared at the strawberry juice and smirked. It wasn't like he needed it, but it would make for an excellent chaser. He was going to prepare a strawberry wine with a dash of liquor for his sweetheart. Nothing to put her mind on too much of a whirl, but something that she could appreciate.
 
“Maybe I like smelling like you.” She murmured, smiling at Ian as he stroked his fingers through her hair before he pulled her in for a gentle kiss. “But I suppose I can be convinced to see what you have in store for that bathtub.”

Elizabeth sauntered from the room, entering the bathroom and stopping dead in her tracks. It was a lovely beautiful little room decorated with white and black tiles and dominated with an enormous tub. She had never seen such a beautiful space in her life…even in her own home.

Taking a moment to strip out of her black dress, she shimmied out of her panties and left her bra in the pile in front of the sink. Kicking them aside with a foot, she move towards the tub and plugged it. Turning the silver fixtures, she let the steaming water fill the pristine white porcelain.

She didn’t even wait for Ian. She was already stepping into the tub and sinking beneath the surface with a happy sigh before he even made it in the door. Leaning back against the tub, she let the water wash over her, soothing her aches and pains away in an instant.

“You were right, Ian. This tub is lovely.” She called through the open door, her voice a husky purr as she waited for him to arrive.
 
The bank robber appeared in the doorway of the bathroom, having shed his clothes and holding two martini glasses of the mixture he had concocted. The liquid was champagne pink and in one of the glasses, there was more liquor than there was Muscat and strawberry. He smirked at Elizabeth, seeing her lounged comfortably within the tub. He knelt next to it, offering her the strongest glass before his hand became free to wander. He reached into the hot waters, running his fingers over her thigh and then brushing his hand up her tummy to her bosom. He continued to stroke her, leaning lazily against the edge of the tub with his arm curled and his own martini glass inches from his lips. His chocolate eyes licked over her damp body before his smile bowed more in content.

"You make this tub lovely," he returned.

The thief stood upon his strong legs, his back having a natural arch in its posture, giving him his masculine stature. He wasn't ripped or bulky like Stephen. On the contrary, he was slender and athletic with his muscles defined in the right places: his Apollo's belt, abs, and the light trail of hair that ran like a thin river between them just shy of passing his navel. It was the first time she had seen him completely naked and not half-dressed in some fashion; not bent over and at the mercy of his hammer; or spread wide across his lap. She could finally see all of him, dipped in the caramel of a Southern-tan. He brought the glass to his lips and tipped his head back. He drank the fluid swiftly until the last drop rolled across his tongue. He gasped, lowering the glass and setting it on the counter as his tongue poked from his mouth to lap up a drop that had strayed from the corner of his mouth.

"You may like smellin' like me, but I don't need to smell myself. I already got to put up with that odor every day," Ian said playfully.

He grabbed a bar of complimentary rose petal body wash and raised one leg to step into the hot water. "Whew, you makin' tea? You must be trynna' cook us alive."

He stepped completely within the tub and lowered to his knees until the water came up to his waist. Ian's eyes lowered, following the length of her body from under the water to her face. He smirked at her and settled upon his hands. The water was just beneath his chin and he arched an impish brow at her before he disappeared beneath the surface. His arms wrapped about her thighs as he rested his shoulders against them. His head went between her legs, his mouth pressing against the lips of her pussy as he kissed and tugged at her folds with his lips. He blew hot water and air from his lungs against it, before he pierced her with his tongue and teased her sensitive walls with its tip.
 
The sight of Ian standing naked in the doorway made Elizabeth smile with appreciation. He was a handsome man, his body nicely muscled and strong. She let out a soft sigh as she sank a little deeper into the water, her red hair swirling around her shoulders in the steaming liquid.

She took the offered drink and immediately brought it to her lips, gasping at the delicious taste that made her head spin. A needy whimper left her lips as his hand ran along her thigh, up her taunt belly until he was stroking her breast. Another little whimper left her throat as he looked at her with a lazy smile, those chocolate brown eyes full of such love that it was almost painful.

“Hmmm…well, you make me feel lovely.” She murmured back, a silly little smile splitting her lips as she took another drink from her glass.

She gasped as she watched him stand, his body so incredibly powerful as he loomed over the tub. God, he was handsome. How no woman had ever had this man before was completely beyond her…but she was incredibly lucky. Watching as he downed his drink, she laughed softly as he playfully teased her.

“I like a hot bath. You told me to fill the tub and I did.” She said a with a little bit of sass in her voice as she took another long sip from her glass.

Her blue eyes locked with his as he looked his fill of her naked body. The way he smirked told her that something was about to happen and when he planted his hands on either side of her legs, she sucked in a deep breath and held it.

“Ian…” Her voice was low and full of warning as he arched his brow at her and dipped beneath the surface of the water.

“Oh!” She cried out as his arms wrapped around her thighs, pulling her legs on either side of his shoulders.

The glass that had been between her fingers slipped free, dropping into the water with a solid splash as his head dove between her thighs, his mouth pressing to her pussy as he made sweet love to her yet again. Her fingers itched and she soon had his hair curled firmly in her clenching fist as her other hand gripped the side of the tub tightly.
 
When he needed to breathe, Ian retracted his tongue and surfaced. He pressed his hands flat against the tub floor and did a push-up, his head raising above the water and oaken hair dark and matted against his head with moisture. He exhaled a breath softly before he leaned forward and snatched her lips, kissing her pink plush tires before he traded positions with her, sliding in behind her so that she could find comfort leaning against him. He brushed the tub floor with his hand, his fingers bumping into the martini glass that he hoped she had finished before he found the soap bar. He dragged the bar across her chest, the soap leaving behind its slippery, rose-scented film.

"I want to have another night like this one. You and me...I've never been so happy Elizabeth," Ian said with a content smile.
 
Elizabeth gasped as Ian pushed himself past the surface, looking at her as the water dripped across his skin and ran in rivulets down his muscular arms. She shivered, nibbling on her lower lip at the look that he gave her with those dark, expressive eyes. God, she loved him so. The thought made her heart melt a little.

She moaned as he leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers. Her mouth clung to his before he pulled away and slid in behind her, an arm looping around her waist as he pulled her back against his chest. She let out a little sigh, her fingers tracing up his thighs as he retrieved his bar of soap.

“Why would you think we wouldn’t have more nights like this?” She asked, whimpering softly as his strong hands massaged the soap into her breasts, kneading and massaging the flesh until she started to squirm. “Is there something you’re not telling me, Ian?”
 
Ian stroked a handful of water back through her rippling, scarlet locks, massaging the tips of his fingers against her scalp. When she questioned his statement, he laughed softly and drew her close into a warm embrace before he answered over her shoulder, "We travel a lot and we may not have time for too many of these."

He pressed his lips to her shoulder and then to the side of her neck. He wanted to get her as relaxed as possible. With the alcohol in her system, the hot tub, and the peaceful atmosphere, the mood was just one pleasant lullaby waiting to whisk her off into a world of dreams and comfort. Ian rubbed the soap between his hands to build a lather before he started to run his rough hands across her skin again. He stroked up and down her tummy to her thighs and then her shoulders.

"This soap already got you smellin' like a bouquet. You should take some when we leave tomorrow. The smell will remind me of my night with the..."

He muttered deeply against her ear, "Finest woman on Earth."
 
Elizabeth sighed softly as his strong fingers sank into her damp locks, massaging against her scalp until she let her eyes close to enjoy the moment in peace. No one had ever taken such care of her. She gave him a lazy smile, a yawn splitting her lips as his deep voice echoed through the silence.

The press of his lips against her naked shoulder and then the side of her neck sent another shiver of desire down her spine. His hands were lazily tracing up and down her belly, stroking along her thighs, up to her shoulders and then back along the same path again. He was lulling her into the twilight between wake and sleep.

“Hmmm….” She murmured to his statement, her nose nuzzling against his cheek and then his shoulder as her body relaxed into the steaming water.

“I love you, Ian.” She mumbled, warm, comfortable, and drunk enough to not put up a fight as sleep washed over her tired body.
 
"Ian, get away from that crater before you fall in boy."

The little boy in the blue suspenders turned from the enormous crater, his fist still clenched full of rocks. There was a young woman who should had been his mother. She stood before him with her hands upon her knees, bending over to gaze upon his youngster frame with eyes as blue as the sky and hair like a field of grain. The yellow sundress clung to her body like a tulip and fluttered in the dry breeze of Winslow.

"Elizabeth..." his voice was suddenly low and matured and he stood no longer a boy, but a full-grown man staring down at his sweetheart. Elizabeth's eyes rose to now meet his height change and when she righted herself, her hair was no longer blonde but red. Her fingers curled into the hem of her dress as she gripped it shyly, biting her bottom lip as she regarded his handsome face. Ian grinned softly at her and raised his hand, cupping the side of her face.

Just over her shoulder was when he noticed three men in black uniforms, donning badges and had their pistols drawn and aimed in their direction. Ian's face paled and immediately he reacted, dropping his hand that he had at her neck and roughly shoving her aside.

"Look out!"

The guns were fired and they cracked like thunder, striking his body as plumes of blood erupted from his chest and arm. Ian stumbled, his leg catching a large stone and he fell back into the crater, the world around him rushing above him and shrinking swiftly away. Distantly, he heard Elizabeth's voice scream:

Ian!


Ian's eyes snapped open as a sharp gasp left his lips. Where was he? He was disoriented and his mind was full of panic. Walls of brick towered over him, the rank smell of garbage filled his nostrils, and the rising volume of police sirens, ambulances, and dogs were in the distance growing closer. His chest swiftly rose and fell, straining against the pain in his abdomen and arm, Ian raised a shaky, blood-covered hand, his wide eyes seeing it coated in his own fluids. He raised his head, straining to gaze upon the bullet hole in his black jacket. The area was warm and heavy with moisture. Dropping his head back, Ian rested his palm over the wound and stared up at the sky. His other arm had been hit as well. He could feel the blood rolling leisurely down his arm like water.

God...please don't let her see me like this... he prayed. He swore he had died a moment ago. It was that nightmare that had brought him back and reminded him of what he was leaving behind. But oh did he just want to die...if Elizabeth saw him, it would break his heart to see her upset. What good was he too her now? You screwed up Ian. You screwed up.

Closing his eyes, Ian bit back his failures as thoughts of hopelessness swamped his mind. The cops were going to find him, and if they didn't their dogs would. He was going to be taken away and never see Elizabeth again. Not unless he broke out of jail, but he would be lucky to make it through the night. His eyes clenched tight and he shook his head, trying to shake the thoughts from his mind. No; he's been shot before. He's been shot two times and this was his third experience. He would survive just like before, but if he was going to, he needed to shake off the negative attitude. A man truly died when his mind quit before his body.

Rolling onto his stomach, Ian released a breath. His cheek was flat against the cold, dingy asphalt and he opened his mouth to pant and gather some oxygen into his lungs. Where did he stash that money? His robbery hadn't been a failure. No, he had walked away with a bounty and a quarter of his life. Grinning through his pain, Ian laughed softly as he thought about how Stephen Collingwood was going to shit his pants.

Ian's plan had been ingenious. After Elizabeth fell asleep in the tub, he kept her cradled in his arms for awhile at least until the water became cool, and then hefted her out of the bath. He carried her to their grand mattress, wrapped her in a towel and slept next to her, catching some Zs before the heist. He got up early, set the alarm to ring at noon the time they were originally planning to run the operation. He had left her a note to meet him on S 18th Street, and informed her of how he would have already run the heist by then. After that, it was all Ian Darcy. He went inside the Collingwood owned bank, which was bustling with investors as well as cops. Wearing a mere black moustache and some black-framed glasses, he pulled the fire alarm, and that crowd of glorious people had made one of the biggest clusterfucks in history as they tried to evacuate the bank. During that time, Ian had held one of the tellers at gun point. The cops were busy guiding the people out. Ian was stretching his time thin, a little too thin. Just when he got the money bag, the crowd had shrunk enough for the cops to notice, but still hindered by the human obstacles in their path, they couldn't reach him. The one thing Ian hadn't expected to happen, happened. Desperate to catch him, the cops risked the safety of those still in the bank and open-fired. Ian was unfortunately struck twice, having convinced himself that he was home free. He escaped, of course, and wound up lying in an alley, awaiting his capture or death.

Elizabeth... he thought desperately as though she could hear his mental cries. She had to have read his letter. He fortunately had made it to the meeting spot, but he wasn't standing exactly where he said he would be in the letter. The money had been stashed inside the dumpster in case he was caught, but Ian had no intention of going peacefully. His childhood had been wasted in reform school already, and he wasn't planning on going to prison. Gritting his teeth in pain, Ian pressed his forehead against the asphalt as his body trembled from the pain.

"Elizabeth..." he pleaded softly. Lord let her find me.

He hoped that the girl went looking for him rather than stand in that spot waiting. They wouldn't have long before the cops found him.
 
Elizabeth had never known a more blinding anger in all of her life. She couldn’t believe that Ian would simply leave her behind and pull off a heist. Did he not know the worry and dread that had passed through her when she woke up and discovered him gone, nothing but a note to explain his whereabouts?

The alarm had gone off as the sun streamed through the curtains, Elizabeth moaning at the pain behind her eyes from the alcohol she’d had the night before. It was like a hammer was being leveled against her forehead, making her eyes bleary and her mood sour.

When she had rolled across the sheets, she knew immediately that something wasn’t right. It was too quiet, too cold, too empty. It was then that she saw the note, the plan, the instructions and it was then that her fury had begun.

Dressing quickly in her black dress and her camel colored coat, Elizabeth grabbed everything she could from the room and stuffed it into the bag from their first heist. Hurrying through the lobby of the hotel, she entered the bustling street and was in a daze. It was an unfamiliar city and the man that she trusted to get her through it safely was gone.

“Something wrong, Miss?” A voice came from beside her and Elizabeth turned her panicked blue eyes towards the man that was standing there staring in concern.

The chauffer from the evening before stood there in his uniform, his brow wrinkled as he considered the woman that he’d shown around the city. Elizabeth let out a sigh of relief and pressed her palm against her chest, her eyes closing briefly as she gathered her thoughts.

“Listen, my husband has…had a emergency and I have to get to South 18th Street now!” She said, trembling with the force of her anger and worry. “I don’t have any money, but if I can get to him in time, I can pay you for a ride…”

If he didn’t agree, she would have to resort to drastic measures. She wasn’t sure that she could actually steal a car, but for Ian she would certainly try. How could her pig headed, stubborn boyfriend do this to her? Why had he left her behind when the plan had been in place since the day before? She was going to kill him…if he wasn’t already dead.

“You two seem like a nice couple. Why don’t I give you a ride and we’ll see if we can’t find him.” The chauffer said with a friendly smile, ushering her towards his limo and ensuring that she was safe before he pulled away from the curb and started off in the direction of the blaring alarms.

The scene was absolute chaos as they came upon their destination. She’d never seen more cops and cars in one place at any time. What had Ian done? Her blue eyes stared out the window of the limo, taking in the faces of the crowd that had gathered. He wasn’t there. She knew it in her bones that something bad had happened. He would have kept his word otherwise.

“Looks like they got the street in front of the bank blocked off. You sure he’s here, Miss?” The driver said, glancing over his shoulder at her.

“I know he is.” She murmured through bloodless lips, trembling at the thought that he might have been dead. “Would you mind just waiting for a minute while I looked for him?”

Nothing more was said as she opened the backdoor and slipped out into the busy street. The sound was deafening. People were shouting, sirens blaring, dogs barking…a bank robbery had happened and people had been shot. From the crowd on the street she learned that the cops had opened fire and hit the man responsible, but he’d escaped in the chaos. A teller lay dead in the building and the man was wanted for murder.

Oh my God, she thought to herself as she turned from the scene and started to search. Ian couldn’t be far…not if he were shot. Had he killed the man that was dead? Had it been the police acting a little too zealously in their pursuit to catch a bank robber? She had to believe and trust that Ian Darcy was a good man who wouldn’t hurt anyone. It was the only thing that would get her thought the next few moments.

Pacing the street, she knew worry and fear. The anger had disappeared and she only wanted to know that he was alright. It made her belly tight and a sick feeling threatened to overwhelm her as the crowd pressed around the police barricade. Stepping into an alleyway next to the scene, she tilted her redhead back against the rough brick, sucking in a deep breath of cool air to calm her nerves.

“Elizabeth…”

Turning her head to the side she saw the black fabric of a man’s coat lying behind a pile of trash. Did she dare to hope?

“Ian?” She murmured back, pushing off the wall before she moved toward the sound of her name.

It was then that she saw him, lying on his belly with his forehead pressed against the ground. Blood was spattered around the scene, seeping from his coat. She didn’t hesitate…not for a moment. Kneeling beside him, her hands were quick to touch his cheek, tears instantly springing in her blue eyes.

“Jesus Christ, Ian…what did you do?” She asked in a shaking voice. “No…no…don’t answer. We have to get you out of here.”
 
He felt a warm touch against his cheek, and it had only been at that moment that he realized how cold he was. He had lost quite the amount of blood, and he felt so tired. Elizabeth...she had finally found him and not much later after his prayer had went out.

Jesus Christ, Ian...what did you do?...No...no...don't answer. We have to get you out of here.

He could hear the fear and sadness on her voice, and it upset him.

"I screwed up...I screwed up," he said softly between breaths. He closed his eyes to gather his senses. "I ain't shoot nobody. I ain't a murderer."

He smiled softly and even despite having never shed blood, each time he was taken down by justice. Once he felt that he had managed to gather enough strength, he slowly started to roll onto his side, his hand still pressed tightly over a bullet hole just below his last rib. "I'm...somewhat lucky. The rounds went completely through me. We just need...to stop the bleeding."

The bank robber zoned a little as the world decided to back flip on him. He closed his eyes again, trying to steady his focus. "Money's in the dumpster. I ain't gonna leave you Sunshine but...I need you to be strong."

Ian clenched his teeth as a bout of pain racked his abdomen, filling him with discomfort. He rolled back onto his stomach, finding that position to be the most comfortable. "Ugh...sorry. You gotta...gotta get us a car and we gotta get outta here fast. Dogs' be on me soon. I know you ain't been a thief before, but if you want me to be around...you gotta pull this off."
 
He felt so cold. He looked so pale. Elizabeth felt real fear as he wheezed for breath, spoke in a whispered voice, and grimaced in pain. The words that came from his lips nearly didn’t make sense before she decided to focus herself. A deep breath sucked between her lips and she struggled to get her nerves under control. He needed her to be strong.

“I got us a ride. I just need you to get to your feet.” She said, moving from his side to the dumpster where his loot was stashed.

Curling her fingers around the edge of the metal container, her used her pretty heels to climb the side of the dirty dumpster. Finally able to glance inside, Elizabeth saw a plain burlap sack resting on top of the garbage, a stack of bills peeking out from inside. Stretching her arm down, she snagged the bag and pulled it free, the weight of the money startling her as she slowly slid back down to the ground.

In the middle of the crowd outside, she knew that carrying a bag full of cash would be extremely attention grabbing. There was only one thing that she could think to do. Wrapping the loose piece of the burlap around the sack, she opened her coat and placed it securely against her belly. Once her sash was tightened back around her body, it simply looked like she was pregnant.

“Ian Darcy, get on your feet…Now!” She hissed at him, the panic making her tone short and mean as she finished up her task. “Up!”

She reached down and grabbed his non injured arm, helping to pull him unsteadily from the heap he was lying in. He swayed when she finally got him to his feet, his ashen face looking even paler. Her eyes locked on his and she could see the pain deep in that dark gaze.

“The limo from last night is waiting for us. He’s going to know that something’s up when we show up, but he’s been kind to me so far. No threatening. No fights. You’re going to let me handle this.”
 
Ian did his best to walk somewhat straight. It was like walking on a rocking ship. There was a constant daze twisting the world before him and it took every inch of will in his body to keep from resting a hand on his stomach. If the chauffeur saw the blood on his hands, he would figure out that he was the reason behind all of the commotion. Elizabeth tried to assure him that the chauffeur from last night was understanding, but he didn't trust anyone other than his girl.

No threatening. No fights. You're going to let me handle this.

Her ending words had put an amused smile on his face. Even after being shot twice, she still suspected he had some fight left in him. Maybe, but he had no intention to deliberately find out. He was going to let her handle it. As they stepped out of the alley and walked back toward the limo, the chauffeur stood by the door, his eyes wide at the sight that he was seeing.

"Mr. Beckman, you look horrible," the chauffeur commented bluntly. "And Mrs. Beckman..."

He gave her tummy a strange look. She hadn't been pregnant before. What was going on? Ian was on the verge of collapsing if he didn't get inside the limo soon. He felt exposed like there were arrows, flashing and pointing at him. Here was the bank robber! Right here! The noise of people, vehicles, dogs, and sirens were fading. He thought he was going deaf, but he was zoning and a few seconds from unconsciousness. No, there was something he had to tell Elizabeth.

"Kansas..." Ian said randomly. "I have some acquaintances in Kansas. Hour south from Kansas city; only wooden house on prairie with old, brown truck, and bloodhound named Pap. They'll help us."

He was just getting the information out there unless he either passed out or died. He didn't know what was going to happen, but he was going to try and hang on. The chauffeur stared at Ian. The man sounded like he was babbling nonsense with how he stared off into the distance at no one.

"Sir, are you all right?" the chauffeur asked nervously.
 
Licking her suddenly dry lips, Elizabeth listened to what Ian told her and gave him a nod of understanding. Turning back towards the driver, she gave him a little smile and helped Ian to duck into the vehicle and get settled inside.

“He’ll be fine. He’s had a rough morning.” She said, blocking his view of a pale Ian as she turned towards him. “Can you take us to buy a car? With my husband’s sudden illness, I don’t think train travel would work for us.”

The driver looked her up and down for a moment, glancing towards the gaunt looking man in the back of his limo. It didn’t take long to put two and two together. He knew who the man was and knew what he’d done, but there was something about the way the red haired beauty looked at him with such hope and desperation that made him want to help.

“Sure. I know the best in town…if you’re willing to pay a little extra.” He said, giving her a smile.

“Of course. Please take us there.” Elizabeth said in a breathless voice, one taunt with worry and anxiety as she slid into the car beside Ian, waiting for the driver to take them to the lot.

Glancing towards her handsome boyfriend, Elizabeth felt a fiercely protective streak fall over her. She wouldn’t let him die. She wouldn’t allow him to even think about dying. Ian Darcy owed her a happily ever after and she was going to make sure that he paid.



Dusk was starting to fall as Elizabeth drove along the darkening roads. She was three hours outside of St. Louis, doing her level best to get Ian away from the city. Hair fluttered in the breeze from the open window of the sleek black car and she thought for a moment about closing it. Her yellow sundress was not suitable for the chill of the evening, but she had nothing else to change into.

Glancing across the dim interior, she took in Ian’s appearance. He was still wax pale and hadn’t said anything in hours. Her black dress, the one that had been so pretty the night before, had been shredded to provide him with bandaging. A strip of fabric was tight around the wound on his arm. A wadded up piece of cloth pressed against the wounds on his chest and back. It was the best that she could do without a hospital and with no medical training.

The driver had been helpful, buying her a car that he assured her would get them where they were going. She paid in cash from the bag that she’d stashed beneath her coat and a little extra for his silence. He wished them well and helped to bundle Ian into the passenger’s seat, giving her vague directions towards Kansas City. He'd shown her how to tie the bandages and made sure that Ian wasn't losing any more blood. It was all up to her from there.

It was all up to her….
 
Last edited:
He hadn't meant to be silent, but he was tired, weak, and he was afraid to close his eyes. He was slumped in his chair, leaning against the door with his cheek against the cool, padded interior. The vehicle rocked, the seatbelt being the only strip of cloth keeping him in his seat and from keeling over like a limp doll into the dashboard. His throat felt constantly full of vomit just waiting to erupt from his mouth any chance it got. He was cold and the breeze from the cracked window stroked his skin like claws made of ice. Despite his discomfort, his eyes though cracked were on the road, watching where Elizabeth went. She may have felt alone, but she hadn't been entirely. He was still here, and he didn't know for how long but he would help her.

The prairie was pitch. There wasn't a moon in the sky to light the way as the trip along the dirt road relied solely on the headlights of the vehicle Elizabeth had purchased and the stars that lit the sky. For the first time in hours, Ian stirred, he tried to turn so his face wasn't against the door and that he was somewhat leaned back in the corner of the seat.

"Stop," he said on a raspy voice. He swallowed to keep the nausea down and said again, "Stop; we're here. The house."

It seemed impossible to see anything in the blackness, but Ian had spotted the buttery, square lights of the lone house just off the road. The bloodhound on the porch stood to its paws and stared at the lone vehicle that travelled the road. It watched with its gentle, brown eyes beneath thick, concerned brows and sniffed, its nostrils snorting the odors on the wind. Suddenly, the creature bellowed, barking at the automobile.

"Pap, you hearin' things again?" the voice of an elderly woman called from inside the house.

"He probably barkin' at perry dogs again," came the voice of a younger man.

If the vehicle neared the house, the old dog would descend the steps to confront the strangers curiously.
 
Back
Top