Can a "self-identified lesbian falls for a guy" story ever be done well?

Starlust

Virgin
Joined
Mar 27, 2016
Posts
254
Or will be always be tarred with the "pervy straight male fantasy" brush? I know it's a sore point for gay women, and even on this site I read what I thought was a pretty well-written comedy story with this plot (link https://www.literotica.com/s/aiding-and-abetting ) and it got a few angry reviews about how supposedly lesbophobic it was, and how it promotes the crappy old "lesbians just need the magic D" way of thinking. I have an idea for a prequel to my sole story which is basically this trope, and I'm nervous about actually writing it. Note:

(for disclosure: am a straight male)
 
Most story ideas can be done well - all it takes is a bit of good writing (which is easier said than done). However, I agree that this is a potentially difficult premise.

Certainly the idea of a genuinely gay lady (or man for that matter) being 'turned' could be offensive to some readers. Having said that, I don't think you should worry too much about causing offense. Readers of literotica ought to appreciate (and mostly they do) that what you write is sexual fantasy and not necessarily what you actually think happens in the real world. What I would worry about however is believability: How believable would your 'lesbian' character be when they fall for a man? How believable would their relationship be? If the characters and relationships in your erotic story are not believable then the reader cannot relate to what's going on and the story falls short.


The way I would write this would be to have a female character who proclaims herself to be a lesbian but I would drop hints through the plot that she is probably actually bisexual if she is completely honest with herself. In her past she will have had some kind of off-putting or hurtful experience with a man. After this there comes a watershed moment where she decides to identify thereafter as a lesbian (basically in order to get away from her past). However, when the right man comes along she finds her old attractions towards the male sex returning to her. At first it feels wrong but her reservations are slowly eroded.
 
Most story ideas can be done well - all it takes is a bit of good writing (which is easier said than done). However, I agree that this is a potentially difficult premise.

Certainly the idea of a genuinely gay lady (or man for that matter) being 'turned' could be offensive to some readers. Having said that, I don't think you should worry too much about causing offense. Readers of literotica ought to appreciate (and mostly they do) that what you write is sexual fantasy and not necessarily what you actually think happens in the real world. What I would worry about however is believability: How believable would your 'lesbian' character be when they fall for a man? How believable would their relationship be? If the characters and relationships in your erotic story are not believable then the reader cannot relate to what's going on and the story falls short.

Oh yes absolutely. I think the story I linked to worked because of the comedy/farcical aspects, but my story would be a bit more dramatic, with sprinkles of humour here and there.

The way I would write this would be to have a female character who proclaims herself to be a lesbian but I would drop hints through the plot that she is probably actually bisexual if she is completely honest with herself. In her past she will have had some kind of off-putting or hurtful experience with a man. After this there comes a watershed moment where she decides to identify thereafter as a lesbian (basically in order to get away from her past). However, when the right man comes along she finds her old attractions towards the male sex returning to her. At first it feels wrong but her reservations are slowly eroded.

It's an idea, but one I don't much like, because the whole "lesbians are only so because a man wronged them in the past" argument gets thrown around a lot too. I was more thinking of making my character basically 95% attracted to women and 5% to men....she identifies as gay because she's only half-aware of that 5% or doesn't consider it significant.
 
Quote: The way I would write this would be to have a female character who proclaims herself to be a lesbian but I would drop hints through the plot that she is probably actually bisexual if she is completely honest with herself. In her past she will have had some kind of off-putting or hurtful experience with a man. After this there comes a watershed moment where she decides to identify thereafter as a lesbian (basically in order to get away from her past). However, when the right man comes along she finds her old attractions towards the male sex returning to her. At first it feels wrong but her reservations are slowly eroded.

I've known a woman who was married (heterosexual), then loudly proclaimed she was a lesbian and had a long-term lesbian relationship, then after that blew up entered into a lengthy relationship with a man. So it happens. Unfortunately, it may not meet a lot of prejudices and will be seen to be unreal, and we all know fiction has to be a lot more "real" than real life, even when we're writing fantasies.
 
Also, some people, while they can't be "turned" have a more fluid sexuality. For those people, they might shift to gay to bi and back more easily than others.
 
What if she was a gay nurse?

One day, Max is assigned a new patient. She checks his chart: male...18 years old...in a temporary medically induced coma. She has to give him a sponge bath. At first she thinks nothing of him. He's about 5'8", wiry thin...his father had mentioned in passing that his son Alex was on the honor roll & was a chess prodigy. Max proceeds with the sponge bath. She's given over 1,000 of them since becoming a nurse and went through the motions again until she reached his penis. It stopped her in her tracks. Even in it's flaccid state, it was larger than her dildo back home. She thought to herself:

"How is this skinny nerd packing a meat cannon?"

After a long shift at the hospital, she went home and plopped down on her couch, dozing off the moment she hit. Four hours later, Max woke up with a shock. She just had a wet dream. It had literally been years since she had one. More shocking than that though was the dream itself. She was at the hospital in the nerd's room. In her dream, she had locked the door, disrobed, and walk towards the young teen. Max tentatively began to give him a blowjob until he was fully aroused. Then she climbed on top of his bed and slowly mounted him. She woke up when she drove her body down until his member was fully sheathed inside her.

Her heart was still pounding as she sat there...confused. Her waxed pussy was still tingling and slick with her juices. She's never had any sexual urges or desires that involved a guy before.

She tried to ignore it as a weird fluke but she had the same wet dream when she went back to sleep...and again the next night as well.
 
Binary view of the straight/gay is an ugly and damaging prejudice you should not bend to, or even worry about. Sure, it is popular, but then, homofoby is rather popular too. I even believe that is in fact offshoot of homofoby, a copping mechanism people afraid of same sex affection define those as strictly out of norm, probably in combination with American culture that seems to demand everything to be defined in strictly black and white terms. Life is much more complex than that.

'Gay-ness' isn't binary but a sliding scale. There even is a named scale that runs from 1 = exclusively hetero, to 6 = exclusively same sex.

From personal experience, I had a good fried with whom we, both allegedly strictly straight males, went to the point where had to discuss if going further won't endanger our friendship in long term. It was just that one person, even just that one occasion for both of us, and we went back to be generally repulsive to the idea.

I believe there is no one hundred percent straight people, nor there may be one hundred percent gay, it is preferences that can be very strong, but overpowered by really strong attraction.

Finally, there always curiosity.

Hmm, thinking of it, maybe story might be about lesbian falling for a gay guy, both of them rather strictly convinced about their choice so far, so they don't even have too much experience with opposite sex. They struggling with feelings toward each other wondering if it's really more than just curiosity or even subconscious bending to pressure to appear 'normal' or what. Probably long time friends, seeing each other as safe heaven they're afraid to destroy that. Then they gay friends may not approve the relationship either. They end up cheating on their current partners.

Happy ending? They swear hetero-exclusivity to each other, while don't mind gay relations on the side, and sell that to their friends as marriage of convenience.

Along the way you can let them discuss all this in deep.
 
Last edited:
Another scenario

Seeking acceptance in homofobic environment, lesbian couple double dates gay couple. It goes better than expected, a lot better in fact, but it's complicated, especially for this one cross combination where she struggling to accept that everyone at least a little bit bi.

It remains just an affair, but one she won't forget.
 
Last edited:
'Gay-ness' isn't binary but a sliding scale.

Also, some people … have a more fluid sexuality.

This is exactly it.

If you want to write this story Starlust you should definitely go for it. The key to making it work is being able to convey this sense of 'fluidity' as SEVERUSMAX describes it. If you can get across the complex desires and contradictions that this lesbian girl would experience then it could really make the character come to life.
 
Of course it can be done. The fact that you are aware of the risk of tropiness should make you able to avoid the worst pitfalls.
 
Some people (any gender) are or aren't sexually interested in certain creatures (any genders). A woman may be uninterested in men, dogs, and unicorns. Her current partner may have different tastes and might not mind a human penis or three to play with. Can she convince her more circumscribed partner to expand their play sessions?
 
Sometime back I had an affair with a woman I met through craigslist - the initial connection was that she was seeking a Daddy Dom - she was into being spanked, taken roughly, but also adored by an older man. Once we met, she confessed that she was actually a lesbian living with her partner, who she was also cheating on with me. It was her "Daddy" kink that she could never shake that led her to sleep with men.

Not sure how that might work into your story idea, but the basic idea is that for many, there aren't too many hard and fast lines.

When I was in grad school had a colleague who was lesbian - she was so beautiful and cool. We became quite good friends and how I would have loved to have connected with her on a more intimate level, it obviously never happened. Fast forward 10 years, I lost touch with her, meet her at a conference - she has a daughter and is married to a guy...

Anything is possible!
 
Or will be always be tarred with the "pervy straight male fantasy" brush? I know it's a sore point for gay women, and even on this site I read what I thought was a pretty well-written comedy story with this plot (link https://www.literotica.com/s/aiding-and-abetting ) and it got a few angry reviews about how supposedly lesbophobic it was, and how it promotes the crappy old "lesbians just need the magic D" way of thinking. I have an idea for a prequel to my sole story which is basically this trope, and I'm nervous about actually writing it. Note:

(for disclosure: am a straight male)


Statistically speaking about 80% of women have bisexual tendencies throughout their life. So just needing to find the magic D is actually a lot more likely than people think. I personally know two 'lesbians' who ended up marrying guys.

But literarily...yea that would be really hard to write with all the sensitive feelings out there. Hey, you're not writing for them anyways, so I say go for it!
 
Of course it can be done well, as evidenced by the story you linked. I mean, if a 4.78 doesn’t qualify as ‘done well’ there’s kittle hope for us. And who cares about tropes or cliches? The reality is tropes exist because they happen. The only question is whether you as the author can tolerate the eventual lezbo-nazi (usually anonymous) comment shrieking “once a girl kisses a girl, she will never be straight! NEVER!!!!!” lol

Fortunately, those types of commenters are rare, unlike the hordes commenting in LW.
 
Yeah, the big thing is she identifies as a lesbian but might have only had a limited selection of men to meet so the couple of men who could strike her fancy might not have ever been encountered.

Just make it clear she's on a scale (like 99% of women would be partners she'd like 1% wouldn't be) and that while she states she's a lesbian it's more for simplicity's sake and she might be bi or Generally queer.

Now for hookups, I remeber reading a true story about a lesbian who hired a male escort because she had it on her bucket list. She might. Or have been attracted to him but it doesn't mean she couldn't get off on it.

Story pitch: self identified lesbian in college meets a guy at her LGBT club. The guy is pansexual and very androgynous. They become quick friends and they start to feel an attraction. Girl is torn. It took a lot of courage to come out to her parents and she's worried her friends and family will say she was faking for attention...but she wants him in every way and he wants her.

Her friends talk to her and make it clear they support her and want her to not limit her chances at happiness just because of a label (for a bit of comedy, they could flip through pics of of guys and girls and ask what she's attracted to help her accept she's bi with a very specific criteria for guys)

Parents are supportive for good and bad reasons and she openly comes out as bi. She then goes to meet her boyfriend and they have sex, with a lot of communication and affection.
 
Back
Top