Against All Odds (closed for silvertongue217)

He turned noted gg her coming. His eyes took her in a small smile crossing his face as he swooned.

She could feel it to the way his heart reacted to her

He came over mentally hoping his cologne wasn't to offensive

"Its so good to see you again" Clark said smiling at her "shall we go?"
 
He was close. If Emily hadn't seen him with her special sense, she would have been able to smell him and decipher the familiar flutter of his nervous heart. She smiled then, taking comfort in those senses even though he was still an utter stranger.

"Good to see you to," she said with a grin, "Sorry about the short notice... So, what do you say to cafe food? There is a nice little shop down the street where they have the best coffees!"
 
" I think any thing you choose would sound good to me" Clark said without thinking before blushing.

"Sorry I tend to speak before I think" Clark said rubbing the back of his neck another nervous habit.

"Shall we?" He said threading their fingers together and smiling at her
 
Emily had to stop herself from grinning like a cheshire as Clark threaded his fingers through hers. His hand was warm and solid in her own, and in that moment she struggled to remember the way the cafe.

As they walked she enjoyed having him by her side. Together with Nyx they would have taken a decent amount of the footpath, but in most cases people usually gave her a wide enough berth anyway.

"You don't need to be sorry. It is good that you can say what you mean. So what brought you to NYC Clark? I'm a local born and bred, so it was a natural progression for me."
 
"Does being from the sticks count as born and raised?" Clark asked laughing as they made their way to the cafe. Clark noted every one giving the pair a wide berth, a part of him wanted to say some thing about being rude.

But another part of him was happy for the space

"Get out of town for the most part" Clark addmiteed "don't get me wrong I'm proud of where. Came from but its not for me"
 
Emily nodded along with Clark's words.

"That's fair," she said, "I am sure there will always be a part of you to call it home. Some days I wonder if I will ever leave this city, but I think I am a bit too tied to it." She said with a shrug.

As if to illustrate her point, Nyx tugged her into their favourite cafe. As they crossed the threshold there was a flutter of movement.

"Emily!" The barrista, George, called out. "It's been a while."

Emily made her way to the counter and retrieved a few menus.

"That's the problem with holidays George," Emily joked, "I am just not in the right area to drop by for lunch. Never fear, term has started and you won't be able to get rid of me!"

George laughed as Emily turned to Clark.

"Inside or outside? I picked the venue!" Emily said, gesturing to the small-ish cafe and then to the little cobbled courtyard in the alley beside the shop.
 
Clark watched their banter and cpocpouldnt help but smile at it all. This is what he had wanted! New places! New sights and sounds!

New people

New girls

"Uh it really doesn't matter to me" Clark said looking at the two "I guess outside?"

He led her out and even pulled her chair out for her before sitting down across from her.

"God this city still amazes me" Clark said looking around before settling back on her.

"I have to tell you right now I'm shit at small talk" he told her smirking "so if I'm an awkward date please forgive me"
 
Emily smiled and thanked Clark as she settled into her seat. Normally she disliked people doing things for her, as it was often due to her apparent lack of sight rather than true manners. With Clark though, she had a feeling that the chivalrous streak would run deep, it was part of him, so she was truly grateful for it.

"Date, huh?" She laughed pleased with that idea. She pushed the menu across the table to him, already knowing what she would order. The usual. "Well, you've been doing great with the small talk so far. So, apart from that friend you were with yesterday do you know anyone in town?"

After a moment George walked over and set a coffee down on the table. Then he slipped Nyx a piece of ham. Emily rolled her eyes, even though it would mostly be hidden by her dark sunglasses.

"Normally Nyx doesn't get treats while she's on duty," Emily said to Clark, but so that George would here. "But I make an exception with George. He gets me my coffee quick, and in return he gets to earn the undying affection of my companion. Fair trade, I'd say."

George laughed, but with a rustle he had his pencil and pad out.

"I don't need to take her order," George said with a laugh, nudging Emily with his hip, "She always has the same old thing. You're new though," then he leaned down and whispered into Emily's ear (but so Clark could hear too) "And a good looking new thing at that." He then straightened, cleared his throat, and speared Clark with a winning smile. "What can I do you for today?"
 
Clark blushed once again so unused to some thing like a man openly noting he looked good.

"Definitely not in the sticks any more" He murmured so soft to himself he thought no one could here before glancing at the menu.

"I think I will just have a sandwhich and some water please" He said handing the menu back to the guy named George before looking at her.

"So I told you a bit about my self" Clark said his hands tapping a small rythm on the table a nervous habit he had "why dont you do the same? Is it hard living in New York City and being blind? I hope its not to forward I just cant imagine even though I have only been here a few days I have noticed people tend to not watch where they are going"
 
Emily smiled at Clark, taking his question with good grace. She would mich rather have him ask her about her blindness than make assumptions. Though, in all honesty, she felt like a bit of a fraud with it. Sure, there were things that were unaccessible to her now like anything on a screen, but for the most part her special senses have her something that she knew truly blind people would not have.

"Not too forward at all, I would much prefer you ask me than just assume," she assured him as she took a sip of her coffee. "You're right, people in this City are terrible with observing their surroundings, I am no stranger to being walked into. People normally get a bit flustered when they see Nyx or my cane, so most of the time I don't get sworn at too much," Emily laughed, "Though I have been here so ll g, and been partnered with Nyx for long enough, that getting around geographically isn't too much trouble."
 
"That makes sense" Clark said a level of respect in his voice "still I cant imagine how you do it! And I dont know if I could take it with such grace"

"So what else are you into? I asked around about you" Clark said before he blushed "I mean I wasnt trying to be a stalker or any thing but I was curious seems you like to keep to your self which of course only made me all the more interested!"
 
"Yes, I am quite the enigma!" Emily laughed, shaking her head at how endearing his awkwardness was. "You do what you have to do in this city, you can either do it with screaming or scrounge up some grit. I prefer the latter. And what am I in to... Well, I cant watch TV as such, but some shows make for good listening. Same with movies. I enjoy whatever books I can afford in braille or audio format. And I study. Is that terribly boring of me?" Emily blushed then.

After a moment she heard the familiar gait of George's feet and shifted aside so he could place down her wrap. He gave Clark a sandwich and then pulled a paper out that had been tucked under his arm and offered it to Clark.

"Normally George tells me about the front page..." Emily said, cheeks flushing for the first time that day.
 
"I would be more than happy to" Clark said reaching over to touch her hand. He shivered at the contact and his body reacted as well. He moved his hand away opening the paper and scanning before his eyes caught some thing interesting.

"Oh listen to this!" Clark said in exiitment "Three thugs were arrested trying to break into a bank last night! They were taken down by the vigilantes of New York"

"Man I think that is so cool" Clark said putting down the newspaper "every one who says the shit they do can go to hell its nice to see some one risking their lives for some one we need more heros like that"
 
Clark's hand was warm and firm on Emily's. The heat and pulse of him had been so distracting that she almost missed his words as he read the paper. For the second one jn as many minutes her cheeks flushed. It wasn't all that often that her nightly activities were praised with such openness and enthusiasm

"Yes," Emily hummed in agreement, "there is more crap in this city than the cops can handle. I think it is good that they are doing their part. Lots of people disagree though," she shrugged. "That said, NYC can be a dangerous place if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Be careful here Clark."
 
"Well there dumb to do so" Clark said his voice surprisingly firm as he shook his head.

"There is corruption every where especially when it comes to cops" Clark said softly "we need heros some one who can take over if they cant or wont injustice is every where and even though people seem to be scared of the powered people now walking among us but some of them are real heros"

He took a bite of his sandwhich watching her "I am surprised I heard the Times editor has a real hard on for making sure the vigilante is seen as a menace its good to know he hasnt gotten to every one"
 
Clark's words were perhaps the best thing Emily had heard all year. They made her feel warm inside, and the grin on her face only got more enthusiastic. His mention of the editor had her snorting in derision before she caught herself.

"Yes, well, some of us are still able to use our critical thinking skills when it comes to the Times. Besides, I kinda the follow the careers of the vigilantes so you could say I am invested in the whole deal..."
 
"Really?" Clark said his eyes widening in surprise as pleasure raced through him "so do i!"

He leaned in touching her hand "I want to interview her one day the vigilante Hell Cats pretty known but the other one she is rarely seen or photographed I think she has a story to tell one no one wants to listen to"

"But I do"
 
Emily laughed at the mention of Hell Cat and her story, her pleasure rising as Clark touched her hand again.

"Yes, Hell Cat has quite a penchant foe the media. Nemesis though... I think, maybe, she doesn't want to tell her story." Emily said. She had to keep her own hesitation from her voice. No, she didn't want to share her story with the world. How could she share it when it still gave her so much pain...
 
"Maybe not" Clark said sighing and looking out at the bustling street "but she deserves to tell it for every one to know why she has become such a hero"

Clark breathed in smiling "the air was so much cleaner in my town but here I dont know it seems so much more..... the different taste the different people every one breathes life into this city and like it or not Nemesis contributes to it as well people like me get to breath it in and feel safe knowing shes out there watching us"
 
Emily wanted to leap across the table right then and hug him. It was a clear indicator of her restraint that she didn't. Instead she turned her hand under his sp that she could hold it properly. It has been a hard few months as Nemesis, and his words were the encouragement she had been needing.

"Well, who knows. Maybe one day you'll get a chance to interview her," Emily said with a small shrug. "So Clark, apart rom interviewing vigilantes and writing for the big papers, what would you like to do with yourself?" It was probably a bit of a personal question, but Emily was inspired by his refreshing outlook. So many people in this town had become resentful and jaded. He was a breath of fresh air.
 
"It might sound silly but be in love" Clark said feeling more relaxed as he leaned back and held her hand. Even though his body was a wrack of nerves and chemicals it was clear to any one he was happy more so than usual.

"I mean I know college is about sowing your wild roots and what not but its just not some thing I have ever had an interest in" Clark told her his eyes moving back to her "I want to do some thing im passionate about and find some one im passionate about as well if that makes sense"
 
Emily felt a hum of excitement at his words. She wasn't silly enough to pretend that she could be that person, but even a chance to try... She pushed aside her hope; it was a dangerous sentiment. Instead she shrugged.

"Sewing your roots is overrated," She said, "My parents met in their first year of college. I think it is nice. If you find something you like... that you're passionate about... why not stick with it?" She said. She thought of her night time escapades then, knowing that her passion for those would see her doing it until it was physically impossible for her to continue.
 
"Its refreshing to find some one that agrees!" Clark said a rush of feelings coursing through him as he grinned like an idiot "I mean most of my friends at school hell even David thinks im crazy every ones so interested in partying and fooling around nowadays"

Clark finished off his sandwhich and watched her curious "You know you havent asked what I look like yet" Clark told her eyeing her up and down.

"Are you curious? I mean I could be ugly as sin"
 
Emily could understand his reasoning, and she had heard comments like his friends' too. She wasn't a party girl, for a number of reasons, and her own friends had laughed at her declarations that she wasn't interested in playing the field.

Then Clark brought up the way she looked, and she laughed then, the sound bouncing off the tables and their bodies, lighting up his face for her. Even if she didn't ask, even if she hadn't been able to see him, he was handsome to her where it counted.

"Looks are overrated," she said with a shrug, her fingers rubbing against his skin, as if getting a measure of it. "I did manage to cop a good feel of you yesterday when I bumped into you though," she teased. "You're pretty solid. Strong, in an unassuming way. And tall... I can hear the hitches in your breath when you talk, when I imagine you'd be smiling. I can hear your hesitance, and I picture a reluctant sheepish expression. But most of all it is your words that draw me in, the honesty and enthusiasm behind them."

Emily put her wrap down and reached out, both of her hands holding his now.

"Though I would very much like to know what you look like, in full technicolour, it wouldn't change my thoughts towards you." She smiled and squeezed his hands before letting go. "Beside, my way of knowing what someone's face is like is rather personal, I felt it would be inappropriate for a first date. And a lunch time one at that."
 
Clark's face lit up at her words and he brought her hands up and gently kissed them.

"Shes a keeper" Clark murmured low under his breath before taking her hands and putting them on his face.

"I am perfectly okay with it" Clark told her gently "I want you to looks might now be every thing but you should still be physically attracted to me"

He let her explore not minding it one bit. Her hands were soft on his face and he breathed in her scent. There was a hint of perfume there but also some thing else a scent he could not place but seemed to be all her own. He breathed it in committing it to memory as he let her freely explore.
 
Back
Top