CleanReader app

Bramblethorn

Sleep-deprived
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Posts
16,833
http://joannechocolat.tumblr.com/post/114425387366/why-im-saying-fuck-you-to-clean-reader
http://www.romancenovelnews.com/joo...1167:my-clean-reader-app-experience&Itemid=53

This week, the book world sees the launch of an app. called Clean Reader, which claims to remove profanity from e-books, and replace them with “more acceptable” words with more or less the same meaning... “Oh my God!” becomes “oh my goodness!” “Jesus Christ” becomes “geez” and so on. “Bitch” becomes “witch” (bad news for modern pagans), and by now we’re already beginning to see some obvious problems emerging.

The fact is that these “acceptable alternatives” are all taken from modern American slang, and not only do some of them make no sense in the context of English literature, they are likely to be far more intrusive (and potentially, more offensive) than the word they are meant to replace.

Body parts have often been the target for censorship, and Clean Reader seems, not only determined to remove all mention of them from your reading experience, but also to make it as difficult as possible to distinguish one from the other. Therefore, “vagina”, “anus”, “buttocks” and “clitoris” all become “bottom”, which seems to me not only anatomically incorrect, but also pointlessly repetitive (as well as potentially dangerous).

Second link points out that this converts almost all sex to anal, possibly not what was intended...
 
A sign that some folks just refuse to grow up and continue to expect others to babysit them.
 
I don't understand why people get up in arms about swears or slurs in books. I guess they don't like the idea of the character they're bonding with being a little rough around the edges.

Still, that attitude always bothered me. It smacks of overly self-righteous political correctness.
 
We're all naked underneath our clothes.

Except hairballs, but who notices?
 
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and no pussy to interest me on shore, I thought I would fuck about a little and see the watery part of the world.

Breathe new life in the old classics with the Dirty Reader.
 
So, a CleanReader version of an erotic story would be something like . . .

"Take it, you witch! Geez!"

I gripped her bottom in both hands and thrust deeply into her bottom, while she rubbed her bottom furiously with her fingers.

"Oh my goodness! I'm going to arrive!"


. . . seems fine to me. No confusion at all.

:p
 
Last edited:
Why do some people believe that they need to take care of the rest of the world? If they don't like racy books, in whatever form, then don't read them. But never try to tell me not to read them, unless you want a swift kick in the bottom. (I was going to put ass there, butt, butt, butt...)
 
Why do some people believe that they need to take care of the rest of the world?
And such people usually have some deity or three backing them up. You can be pretty sure you've invented a deity in your own image when it hates the same things you do. Deities, and revealed prophets, and gifted visionaries of socio-religio-political utopias, all have exactly the right menu of options for the rest of us. Get perfect or die, heathen!
 
Motherfucker will be translated as....Mother-Fornicator? :confused:


And you can only imagine what they have done with this one:

"He was awoken by the sound of a penis crowing on his fence."

:rolleyes:
 
Motherfucker will be translated as....Mother-Fornicator? :confused:
The classic song ALLEY OOP was the first known pop hit to use a euphemism for motherfucker:
The cats don't bug him 'cause they know better
'Cause he's a mean motorskooter and a bad go-getter
I nominate that for the standard set of weasel-words.

And you can only imagine what they have done with this one:

"He was awoken by the sound of a penis crowing on his fence."

:rolleyes:
Sort of a squishy sound, right?
 
The classic song ALLEY OOP was the first known pop hit to use a euphemism for motherfucker:
The cats don't bug him 'cause they know better
'Cause he's a mean motorskooter and a bad go-getter
I nominate that for the standard set of weasel-words.


Sort of a squishy sound, right?
Motorskooter? Sounds like they were trying to substitute for "mother's cooter". IDK...I'm not familiar with old/native cusswords.

Some words just can't be replaced, they're too ingrained in our vocabulary to be replaced by something else. Like the use of 'fuck' while a woman is approaching an orgasm -

"Fuck...oh my god!"

When the app is let loose on this sentence, it becomes...horrible -

"Fornicate...oh my goodness!"

Sounds like 18th cenury British porn for the upper class prudes.

I don't know how the app will work, but it sure will have a hard time substituting ambiguous words such as "cock", "cream", "come" etc. Either way, god help those babies who are in requirement of such a thing. There's no end to such stupidity and prudishness.
 
Mark Coker from Smashwords requested that page Foundry remove all SW books from the clean reader app catalog.

Here is his brief take on it...

Although I'm generally supportive of innovations that make books more accessible to new audiences, and I can see some potentially useful application in terms of shielding children from inappropriate content, I think Clean Reader is a step in the wrong direction. Books are works of art, and the art is manifested by the author's word choice. You can't block, change or censor words without changing the book. I also think such an app is counter to the best interests of book culture. Books should be judged, celebrated and debated in their naked glory as their creators intended. The sanitization of books IMHO leads to greater ignorance and intolerance in the world. Books don't need sanitization when proper categorization and honest book descriptions will do the trick.


here's some blog/articles he linked if anyone is interested

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/03/an-exercise-in-futility.html

http://boingboing.net/2015/03/25/i-hate-your-censorship-but-i.html

http://joannechocolat.tumblr.com/post/114572318791/an-e-mail-from-clean-reader
 
I wonder which legal/religious organisation prompted this ?
It's plain Daft!
 
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and no pussy to interest me on shore, I thought I would fuck about a little and see the watery part of the world.

Breathe new life in the old classics with the Dirty Reader.

That was my first thought: That an app with the reverse functionality would be much more successful!
 
The classic song ALLEY OOP was the first known pop hit to use a euphemism for motherfucker:
The cats don't bug him 'cause they know better
'Cause he's a mean motorskooter and a bad go-getter
I nominate that for the standard set of weasel-words.


Sort of a squishy sound, right?

Try watching the Network TV version of Tarantino's "Jackie Brown" and you'll hear lots of euphemisms for motherfucker, from "melon farmer" to "monkey finger" and beyond. Try saying them in your head in Samuel L. Jackson's voice. It's fun!
 
Back
Top