The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After today's urgent consult, I'm fast-tracked for a cardiac procedure with real surgeons and everything. That'll be a few weeks yet. I'll slog along till then,


Generally, steel strings will break an 'uke because neck tension. Some will say that a dozen broken 'ukes make a good start. Feh. Anyway, Silk-n-Steel strings can be used for a more metallic sound. Soprano 'ukes will sound plinky with any strings; larger 'ukes, less so. But down-tuning reduces plinkiness, as does changing high 1st and 4th strings to low ones.

'Uke-like devices built for steel strings exist. I own a century-old tiple (TEE-play), basically a 10-steel-string tenor 'uke. In fact, it's the ancestor of the tenor. The tiple was popular with small jazz and blues groups pre-WWII because it is LOUD for its size! A tenor body really projects.
_____

A couple hours past sunset. Dark out, and snowy, a few inches on the ground, and we must motorvate down our dirt road in the morning, ay yi yi. I look into the night's void and try not to think of Shakespeare. That's easy.


Good Luck with the medics.
I'd never heard of a tiple. then I found: "Torbellino de la Suite Nº1 - Tiple Solista" on Youtube
 
Good morning, one and all.

Large black coffee, please, Mr Tex.

Sorry (yawn) no baking today. OK, yet.

Good morning,

One hot and black coming up.

I don't bake, well maybe some shake and bake but otherwise, i have a small family run Vietnamese donut shop a few miles away. Excellent quality.

If you didn't notice, I took yesterday off. Housemate and I had a few things to do, that is besides each other and Houseguest. I was rather surprised that I still clean up pretty good for an old fart.

Fresh coffee all around.
 
I have a local Bakery (an old-fashioned type) who make the nicest doughnuts . . .

Oh - fresh coffee ?
Just the job. Thank you.
 
Almost 7pm here in a dark, cold, UK. I could really go for a cup of smooth, yummy hot chocolate about now.

:)
 
That's about what I did in "The Third Ring," and my current story would go to the same anthology. The idea is to be adult without being pornographic.

In the current story the woman interrogates the man during his post-coital relaxation, which happens several times. I can't completely close the door and walk away.

I'm with Ruben in that I think it's hard to be creative when doing explicit descriptions, and I try to minimize that. This is a different challenge, though.

I agree, and I'm going to try something rather like that in the next installment of Tales from the Guilds. In this case the guild is the (Ahem) Seamstresses.
 
I agree, and I'm going to try something rather like that in the next installment of Tales from the Guilds. In this case the guild is the (Ahem) Seamstresses.

Writing can be really hot without being really explicit, but I suppose that depends on the reader's imagination.

From my current story I have this, taken from a dialog between two women, one named Doctor:

‘You don’t need to be quiet here,’ he said, ‘and I want to hear you scream my name.’

He lifted me with his hands under my thighs and carried me to his bed. He laid me down, and I cradled him between my legs while he filled me again. His skin grew slick with sweat, and his animal noises rasped in my ear. I screamed his name, Doctor. I screamed his name.

I don't know if it's really hot, but in context I really like the effect. It'll probably be tweaked a little before it's done.
 
Had a crazy day volunteering at the food pantry today. Had a client that we had to go get the director to deal with.
So it was nice to come home to see the story I submitted on Wednesday was approved and should be up tomorrow :D

Drinking coffee because I plan to make underwear today to put in my etsy shop.

Oh and I applied for a job to be a part time 911 operator. I really hope I get it. I need a paying job and since this is part time I could still volunteer.
 
How do, Ogg. It's been a while, thought I'd drop in and see how everyone's doing.

I was so pleasantly surprised to see you here again. :rose:



Raspberry tea for me. Back from docs, no surgery, recheck after a bit but body already righting itself.
 
I was so pleasantly surprised to see you here again. :rose:



Raspberry tea for me. Back from docs, no surgery, recheck after a bit but body already righting itself.

Why, thank you. *accepting the rose with a smile, inhaling the fragrance*, so kind of you to say so. Just had a sudden yearning to see the old place, and see how many of the old order are still here.

Are you OK? Doctor visit?
 
I agree, and I'm going to try something rather like that in the next instalment of Tales from the Guilds. In this case the guild is the (Ahem) Seamstresses.

You need a Beta Reader, perhaps, Bear [Please] ?


Almost 7pm here in a dark, cold, UK. I could really go for a cup of smooth, yummy hot chocolate about now.

:)

I had to run a quick date check, it's been that long since I've seen you on the AH.
Welcome back !


Raspberry tea for me. Back from docs, no surgery, recheck after a bit but body already righting itself.

Fingers crossed, Mags. :rose::rose:
 
Good Luck with the medics.
Yesterday was mixed. The last procedure didn't last so the next will be more extreme. I'm not sure whether to be thrilled. But I was switched from a med billed at US$650/month to one for $20/month so maybe I can afford a mandola soon!

I'd never heard of a tiple. then I found: "Torbellino de la Suite Nº1 - Tiple Solista" on Youtube
Are many varied axes called tiple, same as guitar or flute. You found performances on the Columbian tiple. Mine is an American tiple as redesigned by Martin. I have my reasons for tuning it (G3 G4 – C4 C3 C4 – E4 E3 E4 – A3 A4). Here are some vids.
_____

Coffee. Not now, but soon enough. And not instant coffee, which has one use: to make young spaghetti sauce taste old. I think it also repels gnats. Does anyone here have secret INSTANT COFFEE confessions?
 
Almost 7pm here in a dark, cold, UK. I could really go for a cup of smooth, yummy hot chocolate about now.

:)

Matty!! (((FLYINGTACKLEHUGGS)))

Long time no see. :kiss::kiss::rose::rose:

Welcome to the Cafe. Abs would be so proud. :rolleyes:

How's the Goose?
 
Coffee. Not now, but soon enough. And not instant coffee, which has one use: to make young spaghetti sauce taste old. I think it also repels gnats. Does anyone here have secret INSTANT COFFEE confessions?

I have to confess that I usually drink 'instant coffee'; with milk & sugar. I'm not keen on the 'bitter' tastes. This could be why adding the gunge I keep reading about puzzles me.
But I usually enjoy a working of my old Cafe Presse thing after breakfast.
And my spaghetti emerges from a tin. . .

As it is still kind-of early, I'd love a really nice Black Rifle coffee; with cream.
please?
 
I have to confess that I usually drink 'instant coffee'; with milk & sugar. I'm not keen on the 'bitter' tastes. This could be why adding the gunge I keep reading about puzzles me.
But I usually enjoy a working of my old Cafe Presse thing after breakfast.
And my spaghetti emerges from a tin. . .

As it is still kind-of early, I'd love a really nice Black Rifle coffee; with cream.
please?

Here you go, HP. Come and join me. Early morning croissants, coffee and me in my pj's.

And now, fueled up, back to "A Troll is Haunting Tex's". I have now written the end. Sorry Tex, the coffee shop is still in one piece. No insurance. But you have a tenant in the basement.... he lives on Twinkies and caffeinated pop and I won't tell you what he's doing down there.... :eek:

9dfca050d549b7da63aef88b8d6d449b--coffee-girl-morning-coffee.jpg
 
Instant Coffee?

I usually drink Gold Instant Coffee at home but Americano when out.

The Gold coffee is much better than the coffee my parents used to drink, and that I used to take to Scout camps:

camp_coffee.jpg


Most of the time I and my parents drank it with condensed or evaporated milk.

You can see the evolution of PCness in the labels. It is still a poor substitute for real coffee. Almost any instant coffee is a considerable improvement. But Camp Coffee is still sold as a 'coffee' flavouring for cakes.
 
Morning all,

No insurance? Well hell. I was hoping to at least remodel.

Uh, what basement? This building doesn't have a basement.

Hey, all writing desks need a bench vise to keep those wandering ideas in place. It works on wandering boyfriends as well, I'm told.

Fresh coffee that won't take the paint off your car if you spill it.
 
Coffee so potent that it has its own panzer designation ...

Every girl needs a panzer unit for backup if she's going monster hunting....

Although in the story it's a National Guard battalion and it's the other way round ....

Hey, all writing desks need a bench vise to keep those wandering ideas in place. It works on wandering boyfriends as well, I'm told.

The bench vise? Well, got to work on the guns for the hunting trip..... and yeah, if anyone gets to cocky, well, a vice-like grip keeps things under control...

Uh, what basement? This building doesn't have a basement.

Oh, shoot! Did I forget to mention that? :eek: Uh, Tex, look out your window.....

basement2.jpg
 
Chloe, me dear, I'd love to take coffee with you under those circumstances, but I fear retribution from your SO, so if you don't mind, I'll pass, for now. If you have time to join me at Lyons Corner House for a coffee or [real] tea & crumpets, I'd be delighted.

As a matter of pure interest, what are those galvanised pipes doing ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top