Federal Homecoming (closed)

Jaxon looked at the Chief. "We will figure this out Boss. You hold on. Do your part and we will do ours."

He turned and walked out of the hospital, but not before talking with the Officer that was assigned to guard the Chief. "My order still stands; shoot first and ask questions later."

Jaxon decided he needed to get some rest so he could think straight. He drove to his house; forgetting that his house had been damaged in the blast and ensuing fire. He didn't remember until he pulled up in front of his home. He sat there for a second and stared at the Chief's house. Then, shaking his head, he pulled away.

Heading over to the only hotel in town, Jaxon drove mindlessly. About two blocks from the hotel he realized a the feds were probably staying there. He was too tired to care. He pulled up in front of the office and went inside. "Hey Louise. My house isn't liveable for a while. I think I am going to need a place to stay."

After getting the key to the room which he booked for at least the next two weeks, Jaxon headed out to his patrol car to park it before going up to his room.
 
They were staying at Loren's old family house as she and Grey arrived at the house.

I am only going to say one thing Loren. Try to find a balance between Fed and being home. I get the feeling you really don't want to be back here. I know it was difficult to leave but at the same time you really needed to get away from everything like you said. Now you don't really seem to know who to be here. Even when we have faced opposition from local law enforcement you have been the bear we needed but not like this.

She just glared at him and walked in looking over the Intel they had for several hours in silence.
 
Jaxon went up to his room, opened the door and looked around. "Home Sweet Home. At least until my house gets fixed." He closed the door behind him and deadbolted it. He walked over and laid down on the bed; not even bothering to undress.

He took out his cell phone and called Lonnie. "Hey. I am sorry for being a pain in the ass today. We will sit down tomorrow and iron it all out. Thanks Lonnie."

After hanging up the phone, Jaxon stared at the ceiling. His mind was racing. There was so much going on. His house was a mess. The Chief and his wife were in the hospital and it didn't look good. Loren was back in town. That certainly explained a lot about why he was acting the way he was acting.
 
She was the only one awake or so she thought as she researched all the Intel from Lonnie the DA the doctor and their own Intel on their target. Her mind went back to the fact that he had talked with the last member of the most racist family in the region and hours later the Chief and his wife were attacked. But who was using who as a scapegoat for the crime? Arson was not the style of their killer but he was fairly opportunistic when he needed to be.

You need sleep but we both know far too well how your mind works so how about a cup of coffee?

Rosen's voice broke through her mental discussion.

Yeah... Coffee is fine.

She shrugged.

Way too big of a coincidence that our target spoke to the most racist family in the area and hours later the Chief and his wife are attacked. Hours before we arrive. If it's our guy he will wait 48 to attack anyone else. If it's the idiot who knows.

Dinner will be open in a few hours..It's two streets down take a right and you can't miss it. Since so many from the station eat there every morning I will stay here. I don't need any more of his ego right now.

Rosen just nodded. I am sure they will know what fix for you at the diner so I will bring you back a meal but.. you can't avoid him forever.

Later that morning the team save for Loren was at the diner picking up things to go or sitting down for a meal talking with county deputies and city police.
 
Last edited:
He didn't sleep a wink. At least, he didn't think he did. His mind was racing and he couldn't turn it off. There was too much going on.

At 7 am he got out of bed and jumped in the shower. It wasn't until he got out of the shower, that he realized he didn't have a change of clothes. He put back on his dirty clothes and headed to the station. He went into the locker room, took another shower, and changed into his uniform.

Once he was dressed, he headed over to the diner. That was mistake number 2. All the feds were there. Instead of going into the diner, he went to a little coffee shop and got a large coffee, and headed back to the station.
 
She was sitting in his office with the clear look in her eyes like she had not slept. Same Loren major case meant she could or at least would go without sleep. Her mind would not silence long enough to sleep.

We are going to clear the air and your wounded ego now Jaxon. The areas worst racist was seen talking to our serial killer and hours later the Chief and his wife are attacked. Both parties have a scapegoat as to who could be named as the guilty party.

She watched him for a moment.

We are not going to get anywhere on either case if you buck our presence at ever turn. What the hell happened to the man who helped the chief urge and encourage me to do this. To go federal. To help more people. To use my curse of reading people and seeing everything whether I want to or not? Where is that man? Or were you just blowing smoke to appease the Cheif?
 
“Loren, who is the one with the ego? Who came in here acting all high and mighty? All I want to do is catch the son of a bitch who did that to the Chief. I don’t care if they are a racist. I don’t care if they are a rapist. I don’t care anything about them but they are going to pay.”

He paused for a moment and looked at Loren. She looked as incredible as ever even without sleep. Jaxon knee she hadn’t slept last night, because she was just like he was. The problems they were having were because they were so much alike.

“The last thing we need is people tripping over each other. This is a small town. You can’t treat this investigation like the ones in the big city. You know that. You know what it is like around here. I don’t care who catches this guy, I just don’t want people getting in each other’s way.”
 
Then work with us... With me Jaxon. Who had a temper tantrum because we arrived? I have already been to their house and turned over things to Lonnie for the lab with no issue at all. I am here so this is handled different and the serial killer is our case. Those two are going to use each other as scapegoats. I know Mullens isn't the brightest but even he has to see what sort of luck landed in his lap.with an out of towner like our target.

She shook her head with a sigh rubbing her temples.

We will settle our case get our guy and possibly the idiots across the square and then I will be gone again... Is that what you want?
 
"Loren, I tried to make peace with you but you are still on the attack. I don't know why, but I will give you whatever you want. I will step back. I will sit in my office, and I will give you free reign. I won't interfere with your federal investigation, and you can clean up anything else you want while you are here."

Jaxon turned and walked out of his office. It had been an emotional valley that he was trying to climb out of and it was getting to him. The Chief and his wife were laying in a hospital bed, and it was anyone's guess as to whether they would survive, and Loren was back in town and, as much as he wanted to, he couldn't reconnect with her.

He walked down to the Chief's office and sat on the sofa with his hands in his head. "Just let it go Jaxon. It will be over soon enough."
 
How did you try to make peace? Did you even try to come by the house and just talk? Not even a real hello when we got here just Loren and threatening to fire anyone who tried to help us? Whatever...

She walked out and was headed to the door only to get stopped by Lonnie.

He will come around. Well he better or I will knock some sense into him myself.

Rosen walked over to the door looking to Jaxon.

Any time you want to understand her better or help me understand this hostility and issues so that we can get this case done quickly let's talk.
 
There was no need for him to respond. It wasn't worth it. It wouldn't help things. In fact, it would just make things worse. Jaxon just sat on the sofa in the Chief's office with his head in his hands. It was not in his nature to give in like this, but Loren had a special power over him. He was not going to fight her.

Jaxon thought back to when he had encouraged Loren to take the job with the FBI. He had tried not to weigh in on the topic. The Chief had encouraged Loren to take it. Jaxon had just remained silent on the topic. He felt he was in a no-win situation, so, he remained quiet. That was, until she asked him what she should do.

When Loren came out and asked him, he had encouraged her to take the position. How could he not? He was not going to stymie her dream; how could he? He told her it was for the best. He told her she needed to do it; even though he knew it would be the end of them.

Now, he sat in the Chief's office and his first interaction with Loren since she signed on with the feds had gone worse than he could ever imagine. This pretty much put an end to the little hope that he had that they would find a way to get back together.

Jaxon looked up at Rosen. "You are asking me how to understand the hostility? I don't understand it myself. Like I told her though, you guys can have the case; all of it. I will stay out of it."
 
There is more to it than that. You don't know how to react to her... Why? Just because she works for the FBI? Does that really change her so much in your eyes? Billy always told me if we ever came into town here for work that you Sargent Lane would be the one that was the most help and aid. He said it would be because of her. That you would probably be underfoot so much just to spend time with her.

Rosen shook his head then paused.

Her chasing a serial killer scares you? You are finally having to see exactly what she does and you are scared for her. And if her theory is right about the local that makes it even worse. Which Mullens brother did you all go to school with? Did she reject one of them trying to flirt and persue her romantically?

One of the other agents leaned close to Rosen with a worried look.

She's flying solo.

What!?!?

Rosen's tone changed as he looked at the other agent.

Find one of the officers who know her well and find her.
 
"Send a car to the Mullen house. Tell them not to go inside. Just tell them to look to see if there is one of the fed rental cars there. I am on my way there now."

Jaxon ran out and jumped into his patrol car. He was listening as a car was dispatched to the Mullen house. He wasn't sure why, but he had a feeling that was where she was headed.

"Damn you Loren," he yelled out loud in the car. "Why can't you just ask for help instead of being a damned hot dog and going out on your own." He wasn't sure that she would be there, but he certainly hoped so. He didn't feel like having to search the entire town.
 
She had driven by the old Mullens place and seeing Delbert outside pulled over to say hello and casually talk about what all she has missed since she had been gone.

Why you back here Detective? Thought you went to DC or something to harass more people than this little town holds.

Delbert snorted.

But since you are back momma always said offer a neighbor a drink on a hot day and the whole town to an extent is our neighbor. So you want a beer detective?

She maintained an expressionless face as he spoke.

No thanks Delbert I am on duty but thank you for remembering some of your momma's teaching. So tell me about the out of towner you struck up with the other day? I hear you had an awful lot to tell him about the more colorful aspects of our little town. Seems a little strange though don't it... You talk to an outsider and the chief and his wife end up attacked? What all pray tell did you tell him? Or what did he tell you?

Her voice was gaining an edge to it as she spoke yet also almost deadpan as well. Which was not lost on the man before her who seemed to almost take a step back till the chief was mentioned then he seemed to get a little boastful in his stance.

So what he was told not to marry... Her. He did that to both of them by marrying her.

Delbert sneered.

Well now they have been doing fine married for several months so either this out of towner with no ties to this little town of ours just got lucky or some other spineless opportunistic weasel took advantage of a situation in hopes the outsider would get the blame because they knew the feds were chasing said outsider. The question is who would be that despicable spineless and opportunistic is the question and why would they risk it if they knew the feds were chasing this guy?

She did not miss the unmarked car with plain clothed cops in it but did not let on that there was anything going on.

What exactly are you saying detective?

Delbert tensed.

Ain't you cops done enough to my family. Opening up that case for that black cop about his granddaddy when my daddy was on his deathbed... Y'all killed him and momma too she couldn't handle daddy dying or that investigation. And my brothers defending themselves when y'all hunted them down for trying to show those history peace March people that they wasn't welcome before and they weren't welcome the second time either. You killed them too.

Delbert... I know you are not all that bright sometimes according to your family but I would hope you would realize that them pulling guns on state and local police and federal agents and shooting at them is what got them killed they did that to themselves and I am expecting you to prove that you are smarter than all of them right now and tell me everything you told that stranger.

Go to hell detective.

Delbert was fast on the "draw" with his hunting knife but so was she. They went a few moments before she had the knife out of his hand and his arm locked behind him. She however did not realize she had a gash on her upper arm.
 
When Jaxon heard the plain clothes unit go on the radio and relay that the federal agent was outside the Mullen house talking to Delbert and that they were on the scene, he relaxed a little. At least things were out in the open, and they had eyes on her.

He slowed down a little and made his way toward the Mullen house. He knew Delbert was not a bright person, but there was no way that he was stupid enough to do anything out in front of his house. Was there?

Pulling up in front of the house, Jaxon saw Loren going at it with Delbert. He jumped out and went running toward them. As he approached, Loren was able to get Delbert's arm behind him. Jaxon took out a pair of cuffs and snapped one on the wrist of the arm Loren had control of. Delbert started to resist again, which resulted in Jaxon tripping him and taking him to the ground and placing his knee in Delbert's back.

"I thought you were smarter than that Delbert. Put your other arm behind your back and let's do the rest of this the easy way." When Delbert continued to resist, He was met with a punch to the head by one of the plain clothes officers who came running up. They got his arm behind his back and the other cuff on.

"See that Delbert. It didn't have to be like that. You Mullens just never learn." Jaxon got to his feet and dragged Delbert up. Turning to Loren, he was about to say something about going out without backup when he saw the gash on her arm. Jaxon was tempted to turn and punch Delbert, but, instead, handed Delbert to the other officers. "Take him and the knife and put him in a cell, I will deal with him later; book the knife into evidence."

Turning back to Loren, he put his hand on her back. "Come on Loren. We are going to get your arm looked at." Just then, Rosen and the other feds pulled up. "Don't fight me on it. We will have it looked at, cleaned up, and get you back on the investigation."
 
Wow... Damn... Idiot did get in a shot.

She shrugged nodding as she now felt the pain of it once it was pointed out to her.

I think he is your man for the attack on the chief
 
“We will deal with him later. First, let’s get you checked out. At the very least you are going to need to get it cleaned out and a few stitches to close it.”

He guided her to his patrol car, opened the door for her and helped Loren in. He took her to the Emergency Room at the hospital and the staff moved Loren right to the front of the line. Jaxon stood over her like a hawk; watching everything they did, making sure she was okay.

When it was determined that there was no damage to any nerves, tendons or muscles, Jaxon relaxes a little. He looked at Loren, “I will be right back.” He walked out to ask the doctor about the Chief.
 
The Dr nodded to him.

He woke up a little told me to get her here or I was fired then right back out. I honestly think the old buzzard might fight this... Because of her being here at least a little bit. Take her to see him when she is done with Doc Bolton.
 
Jaxon nodded and walked over to the Chief. He stood there looking at him. "You need to pull through." Just then, the Chief's eyes fluttered and his hands moved before he settled down again. It was like the Chief knew he was there.

He headed back over to see how Loren was making out. As he walked in, the nurse was having her sign discharge papers. There was a bandage on her arm. "Let's go see the Chief before you get back into your investigation."

Following Loren to the Chief's bedside, Jaxon stood behind her as they both looked at the Chief. "The doc says he thinks the Chief is going to make it."
 
She stared for a moment at the chief before leaning in close to the chief.

Doc thinks you can hear me you old war horse and maybe you can. So you march yourself back here Bill... That's an order.

The break in her voice she tried to hide as she spoke before kissing the chiefs forehead and leaning close to Harriett.

I can't help him without you...

Straightening up she looked to Jaxon only to hear a faint

B...babygirl...

Every fiber of her being tensed as she turned and saw slivers of brown eyes trying to look at her.

Right here... You haven't called me that in years. Rosen is with me here in town.

I...Know...

And with that he was out again. Dr Grey had been in the doorway and raised a brow.

I believe Mrs McColm hand moved a little when the chief called you baby girl.
 
Jaxon watched as Loren spoke to the Chief and was excited to hear the Chief speak. It was progress and it gave him hope that the Chief would make it through this.

As Loren talked to the doctor, Jaxon backed out and called Headquarters to check on where they were with Delbert Mullens.

"Well, I have seen the wound and at the very least we have aggravated assault. Talk with the County Prosecutor and start there; see if they want to add Attempted Murder. I will be in later."

Jaxon walked back to Loren and the Chief. "He is going to be okay. He is a tough old dog and he won't let this beat him."
 
She looked to Grey and then mover to Harriett.

And watched her. She placed a hand against her hand as she spoke.

He is calling me baby girl again Harriett even in front of my FBI associates.

This time she felt her hand move against hers and smiled.

You both better pull through this Harriett. That's an order.

With that she walked out of the room.
 
Jaxon stood behind Loren as she talked to the Chief.

He watched as she then walked over and talked to Harriet and gave her an order.

He stood there as Loren turned and walked past him and out of the room. He paused and looked at the Chief. "You better make it," he said in a low voice. His emotions were getting to him.

Turning and walking out of the room, he headed to the patrol car. He had had enough of this. He wanted answers and he wanted someone to pay.

Jaxon drove to the real estate office. He paused after putting the car in Park; taking a deep breath before opening the door and heading inside.
 
Well Hello Sgt Lane.

The short almost rat looking office manager spoke.

What can we help you with today?

The sleazy friendly smile on his non-existent lips.

___________
Loren went to the lab to ask questions only to get intercepted.

Your Sgt friend went to the real estate office.

Keep an eye on him Grey and keep me posted. With that she delivered the profile of their killer to the local cops and then headed out on her own. This was her hometown she knew all the lower seedy dives he would hide and went in disguise.
 
Jaxon wasn't in the mood for the bullshit from the creepy office manager. He kicked the desk; pushing it back into him.

"You know why I am here, and I am not leaving until I get some answers." He stared at the office manager as he stepped closer to the desk.

"somebody here is going to tell me who is responsible for the explosion and fire at the Chief's house or there is going to be the need for a new office manager here, and probably a new office as well."
 
Back
Top