A novella ~ "Privateer's Desire: Stealing Romance"

Before this night, I could never have imagined being kissed with such passion... with such feeling. The depth of your connection to me seems to communicate directly to my soul by your lips.

I glance over my shoulder at the angry group at the edge of the meadow. They are well known to me. My mind recalls all of the times my intended's mother had treated me as little more than a potential servant girl. And his brothers were nearly as distasteful to me as my betrothed. They were moneyed, but entitled, carelessly cruel and hard of heart.

While I cannot remember a time these people were not a part of my life... I feel no love for them. I have felt trapped ever since I truly understood what it meant when my father promised my hand in marriage to a man with whom I had barely spoken.

I bite my lower lip as I look up at you. Seeing the determination in your eye and the clench of your jaw even as you smile wryly at me, it occurs to me in a flash of insight that you are actually offering me a way out.

My heart racing from passion, now mixed with fear, begins to pound with the trepidation of risk comingled with hope. Your commanding tone has the effect of calming me, strangely - in spite of the impending confrontation.

I am clutching you with one hand as my other futilely attempts to cover myself with my tattered gown.

The wall? He wants me to make a run for it?

Your words ring in my ear. I now glance behind us at the garden wall. Gauging how far it is. I look up at you once again - meeting your steady gaze. Your eyes are dark with intense passion and determination. I nod ever so slightly my assent.

Yes, I think, I will do whatsoever he tells me - I will link my fate to his.


LAqexrZ.jpg
 
Last edited:
*fidgets impatiently on the sofa* I can't wait to find out what happens. The suspense is driving me crazy.

Someone order in, I'm not leaving my spot!
 
FJO7ik8.jpg

With that glance, that soulful gaze, of hope, passion, and courage, my heart soars. Adrenaline fills my lithe and muscular physique and the transformation to battle readiness is complete. One last look at my love and an urgent whisper of

"NOW!!"

was all it took. My beloved flew for the wall, her stylish dancing shoes left behind! Her graceful feet cut through the lawn as fleet as any gazelle. Turning to our sneering antagonists, a shot is fired!
BANG!(<<<click this link)A pistol - held by her betrothed!

Quickly, its charge spent, he discards the pistol, and reaches for another. His siblings, smelling a hunt, give chase.

Simultaneously, as the round grazes my stooping shoulder, I reach for the bench and sweeping it up, toss it heavily towards the crew of devils besetting myself and my heart's desire!

Not awaiting the result of such an improbable missile, only hearing cries of agony, astonishment, and rage, I sprint after my lady love, quickly overtaking her. That bench will not slow them for long!

Still inflated by that mad rush of adrenaline and doubly fueled by the vision of my heart’s desire before me, I sweep up her dainty form and with her arms 'round my neck and angelic face against my chest, all gazing at once in wonder, love, fear, and excitement, I redouble my speed for the wall.

Just then! Another shot!
BANG!(<<<click this link)This time our hated adversary’s aim is more true. The round strikes my shoulder and lodges into the flesh. It is fire to my body, and I grunt in agony, nearly dropping my love.

'Ere now my energy was excitement itself. Now, with the bullet wound, I find myself additionally fueled by rage! I want to fight, not flee! With care for the safety of my love, however, we will flee.

The wall is low lying, a mere 3 feet to the top. Sweeping my love before me with a cry, we crest the top in but a single leap. Dashing off into the sweetly scented oleander, we make for the harbour. The steady pistons of my legs keep us going throughout the night. The harbour is twenty miles away!

Towards dawn I run with you cradled in my arms. Her! She is mine! By my blood, sweat, even my tears! Our destinies are now twined! Now that she is with me, there is nothing I would not do, nothing I could not do!

And yet, even a mortal man must give in to the demands of the flesh. My wound is starting to tell on me and we have several miles left to go. Worse, there have been no carriages this early in the morning.
 
Last edited:
*fidgets impatiently on the sofa* I can't wait to find out what happens. The suspense is driving me crazy.

Someone order in, I'm not leaving my spot!


Another early riser. :)Hiya AKL! Good morning, and it's here. Hope your day is excellent!:rose:
 
Another early riser. :)Hiya AKL! Good morning, and it's here. Hope your day is excellent!:rose:

It's like I conjured a new post! I'll have to remember that for next time :) Good morning MrT! Now I can't wait to find out what happens next!
 
*prays* please let there be a shirt off wound dressing by candlelight scene. Pleasepleaseplease
 
It's like I conjured a new post! I'll have to remember that for next time :) Good morning MrT! Now I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Hi AKL! It's another day and in a moment I will post the next installment...:D
*prays* please let there be a shirt off wound dressing by candlelight scene. Pleasepleaseplease
Well sweetheart...it is a romance...and our hero has just been shot ~ it does seem likely, doesn't it?
Great work you two, looking forward to more :):rose:
Thank you FJ. So kind of you to stop by.

I love the image of all of you gathered in a room snuggled on couches and pillows, passing the popcorn around as the story unfolds. I'm right there with y'all! Anybody need a drink?
 
Last edited:
:heart::heart::heart:CLICK HERE FOR AUDIO TRACK:heart::heart::heart:
Mr. T & Cascadia recommend you open the audio track
in a separate window so you are
able to listen while reading this post. Enjoy!
At his command of "NOW!" all thought but to make for the wall as fast as I could filled my mind. I had already slipped my heels out of my shoes knowing they would only hinder my flight. Gathering up my gown in my hands, I fly to the wall - the sound of pistol fire terrifies me and though I did not think it possible, my legs tear even faster through the short, damp, meadow grass.

I duck my head fearing that the next shot might be aimed at me. The exhilaration of my unlooked for escape into the unknown from my father's carefully laid wedding plans grips my chest with a surge of adrenaline. And suddenly I feel myself lifted into his arms - HIS arms!!!! Wrapping my arms ‘round his neck and shoulders I am astounded, at his strength as we verily fly over the garden wall.

The next shot rings out and I feel you shudder as the round lodges in your shoulder. I cry out as you grunt in agony- feeling your arms nearly give way. But my only concern is for you - my love - that you are all right. You catch my eye and the glint of determination and the clench of your jaw tell me all I need know. YOU will protect me at all costs.
I cannot believe your stamina. I shift in your arms after I am certain we are safely away from the estate ~ and, having not heard any pursuers in over a mile, I whisper ~

"You needn't carry me - spare your shoulder - I will do my best to keep up."

With a grim look of determination, you smile at me,

"Oh my love, you are so brave. But you weigh nary but a feather. We must make tracks and you are now shoe-less. I will carry you all night if need be."

Realizing it is fruitless to argue at this point, I cling to you as we make our way through vale and field, bogs and byways closer and closer to the harbour as the morning star greets us and the early morning light shows the effect of your exertion.

Beads of sweat gather along your hair line and your garment, damp where I cling to you. We will need a carriage or a place to rest soon. I begin to worry about the bullet in my love's shoulder. This will need attending to and it will not wait long.

I recalled the injuries of men in the surgery that old Doc Harper had showed me how to tend at the convalescent home on Sunday afternoons. What they looked like (and how they smelled!) when they had waited too long. It occurs to me Doc Harper's training might prove to come in handy now. A charity activity I had taken on merely as an excuse to avoid Sunday carriage rides with my betrothed might now become a necessary skill.

If I were not so tired and so worried, I might have giggled at the irony.


6JVs1DA.jpg
 
Last edited:
* sighs and wraps my arms around a big pillow melting into its fabric. Face flushed while I peek over its hem.*
 
That was certainly a twist. I love how this is so reminiscent of a period swashbuckler. It's fantastic. Great pictures, soundtrack, and audio too :).
 
* sighs and wraps my arms around a big pillow melting into its fabric. Face flushed while I peek over its hem.*

MD! Here you are hun, *drapes a comfy blanket around you and hands you a hot cocoa...:)

That was certainly a twist. I love how this is so reminiscent of a period swashbuckler. It's fantastic. Great pictures, soundtrack, and audio too :).

:):D I'm so glad you think so. I want to say more. But the story will have to unfold. Thanks very much for posting!

And thank you all for visiting. Cascadia and I really enjoy bringing this to you.

 
Last edited:
o15IYQ5.jpg


The plantation estate is miles behind us. We travel cross country in hopes of shortening the journey. So far, that maneuver has worked in our favor.

The miles were, indeed, not easy. The light of the full moon guides us across fields of wheat, bogs filled with sugar cane and other dangers narrowly avoided, such as green monkeys, wild boars and poisonous snakes.

Thankfully, they are sated from their daytime feeding, now a bit sedentary in the cool air of the mangrove swamps, allowing us to pass safely as we flee through the bog.

The trek takes a dire toll on our party clothes with an occasional tear here and there along with splashes of dirty water and specs of mud. We had crossed several by-roads and still it was anon ‘ere we finally came upon the main highway towards the harbor.

By this time, I am exhausted. The wound has started to take its toll. We have come upon a crossroads of sorts; the main highway where it intersects the old church road.

Our enemies, however, have not been idle while we fled. As we pause at the juncture for a breather, we hear the men’s shouts, baying of dogs, and hoof-beats of their approach. APPROACHING HORSES AND HOUNDS(<<<click this link)

As my love looks at me with a question and adoring concern, I return her gaze, with deep desire and longing for her love, abiding appreciation for her courage, determination and sense of adventure. Indeed, the last, a marvel, considering her privileged background.

Breathing heavily, with a smile and blushing adoration on your angelic face, I squeeze your hand as we kneel by the crossroads.

“They come quickly. Faster than I could have anticipated. We would be fine were it not for the wound I now carry. My darling, my love,” I begin, kissing your hand,

“I would not waste your sacrifice of all that you know to flee with me, and yet, things are becoming more desperate by the minute."

"Soon, their soldiers will be upon us. We will not make the harbour with them so close, and besides, we have missed the dawn breeze. My strength will not sustain us at this juncture. We must disappear."

"The old chapel is close. The place is suspect with rumors of dark doings, or so say the natives hereabouts. But, I have had dealings with the Father that runs it. He will cover for us, though if pressed, would likely give us over. It is our best opportunity.” I wince while trying a movement of my shoulder,

“With any luck, his leech will be there as well.”

“Forgive me my love,” kissing your hand with overwhelming passion, desire, and love,

“I have not even asked of your own disposition. Are you well? Do you suffer? Your gown!” glancing at your state in alarm and desire,

“it is ruined, we need to get you replacements and something for your feet!”

Before you can reply, a hunting horn sounds in the distance, accompanied by the baying and howls of hunting dogs. Glancing at each other in alarm, we know that we must hurry.

With a long look into the depths of your eyes, my soul touches your own, our hearts beat as one, I lean in and lift you as before. A long smouldering kiss, with tender lips and intense passion, you can taste my ardour, feel it sweep through you, raising chills and heat through your body and mind. My own body afire with your nearness, your taste, our dire predicament, all lend itself to my arousal. An arousal I can barely contain and do not hide! And yet, I must. Our ordeal is far from over. That long kiss diminishes to smaller desperate kisses that speak of my reluctance to stop. My resolve grows in bounds. You are mine! Setting my jaw in determination, I can barely say it without my passion consuming me,

"To the chapel then, my love, we'll be clear soon enough!"

I run, with a will. In short order we arrive at the old forest church. It is overgrown with moss and ivy here and there. The doorpost is illumined with a large glass covered lantern.

Standing just outside the chapel, as if he were waiting for us, is the Father. He is a tall man, wearing his black cassock. Clean skin but older, some fifty years by the look of it. His bearded face seems kindly. No doubt he has heard the sounds of the hunt close by. As he looks up, he sees us running towards him.

Espying your form and state of undress, his eyes measure us with a blink. The Father understands at once and ushers us inside with a greeting of recognition for myself and calculating admiration for you.

The chapel door closes behind us with a creak and a soft click of the latch. Inside, there are a few pews and many lit candles. The place is serene and simple, yet has a lovely grace. An unpretentious statue of our Lord stands near the altar.

"You have come with unusual timing this morning, my son," he turns and says with a small smile.
 
Last edited:
~bites nervously on my bottom lip as I wait in anticipation for the outcome~

Enjoying it muchly...and love the visuals that you've brought to the story. Good job.
 
Oooh I love the turn of events.
*pulls the quilt up and snuggles next to BFG*
Snuggle in...grab some more popcorn. Next bit on its way!
I swear, there are ghosts in that pic.
Sanctuary for our heroine and hero!
Ghosts? Spirits? Strange doings...there are all kinds of rumors. But for the moment...tis sanctuary, both literally and figuratively.
It certainly looks haunted at best to me. There may be other more terrifying surprises hidden inside too.
Read on and all will be revealed in due time dear readers!
~bites nervously on my bottom lip as I wait in anticipation for the outcome~
Enjoying it muchly...and love the visuals that you've brought to the story. Good job.
Thanks you so much KC! Glad you are enjoying our tale-spinning! :rose:
 
It was not until we knelt together at the crossroads and heard the baying of my father’s dogs and the hoof fall of soldier’s horses that I truly understood how impulsive my decision to flee into the night was, and how consequential. Slowly it has begun to sink in that my betrothed will not allow me to slip away with another man without a fight; that both pride and honour are at stake.

As I gazed deeply into my love’s eyes, worried about his wound, I feel a fit of determination rise in my own breast. Never would I return to the plantation of my birth. I would not be a wife and servant to that cruel and onerous man. It may have been impulsive, but this rebellion has been brewing just under the surface for longer than I can remember.

The fact that this man, my new love, is so concerned for me, even as he is exhausted from carrying me ALL night – makes my heart sing. This handsome ruffian – whom my family has looked down upon as beneath my station - has treated me with more care and kindness than any of the “gentlemen” who have been my formal suitors since my debutante ball. And those kisses!? They were intoxicating!

Arriving at the woodland chapel, the older priest is on the path as we arrive in obvious haste. I feel his eyes take my measure. Torn gown, tattered and dirty from the long night, my feet bare except for my useless stockings, more holes than not, and my bosom exposed, shining with sweat, and heaving from fright and exhaustion. Futilely, I attempt to cover myself from his gaze and, unable to do so, I find myself blushing deeply and turn into my love’s arms to hide my shame.

He ushers us into the simple chapel, so different than the church I have attended since I was a small girl. Clinging to you, I look around the small dark space, lit only by the dancing candle-light. I barely register the Father’s words to my protector and rescuer,

“You have come with unusual timing this morning, my son.”

Setting my shame aside, and recalling that perhaps a physician might be at the chapel, my concern for your seeping wound is now uppermost in my mind.

“We know we are likely imposing on you in our need, but please, he is shot - wounded. And this cannot wait much longer. Is your leech here? Do you have any supplies? It must be cleaned, and we must try to remove the bullet as soon as possible!”

The words tumble out of my mouth even as I continue to clutch my torn bodice together, futilely attempting to cover myself.

“Yes, he is near. You are very fortunate,” the Father replies, “Wait here, I believe I can find something to keep you from catching a chill. I certainly do not have any foot wear small enough for your dainty feet, but we shall see about that in due time as well.”

We cling to each other in the wooden pew in the candlelight. The Father’s tall cassocked black form disappears into the sacristy behind the altar and returns a few moments later with a man’s cotton undershirt. I slip it over my head and am dwarfed in the fabric.

You laugh seeing how ridiculous I look. And then, seeing my crestfallen face, wrap me in your arms and kiss me lightly on the forehead as if I were but a small child. Hugging me tightly, you gaze into my face and pepper my cheeks with more kisses, finally, meeting your lips with mine, tenderly, sweetly, pulling my lower lip into your mouth as I taste you. I breathe into you. For a few moments, I forget the chase, the long night; my only thoughts are of you. I close my eyes and sigh with the bliss of being held tightly in your arms. And oh, how intoxicating are your kisses! I will never tire of your lips that bless me with their sweet passion!


R9Gb9WG.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top