Chestita Baba Marta - happy 1st March

writermanbrit

Really Experienced
Well, it is officially 1st March in Britain, United Kingdom or whatever...... so I am wishing everyone out there ''chestita baba marta' translates as happy grandmother March

Wikipedia has a fairly good explanation.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Marta_Day

It is actually a wonderful period of time in some Eastern European countries, especially in larger cities, as there can be dozens of little stalls selling these red and white charms/bracelets, and then everyone goes around wishing their friends and workmates happiness as they exchange the bracelets.
They are available on ebay for those who live in other countries to continue the tradition.

Although I'm British (Scottish even), I thought in these troubling times it would be nice to share a little bit of happiness with you, wherever you live.

It's really interesting because 'Baba' means 'father' in Arabic and Amharic.

It's really interesting because 'Baba' means 'father' in Arabic and Amharic.

When learning a new language, there are very often what are referred to as 'false friends' - these are words which you might even spell exactly the same, but have a different meaning, and can cause a lot of confusion in the beginning.

Can you explain please ?

Google gives 'ganouche' as an eggplant based food....... is there a special connection with today, 1st March ?

In Bulgarian folklore, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are thought to be the ambassadors of tasty eggplant dips served with pita bread used to celebrate the arrival of Spring.

In Bulgarian folklore, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are thought to be the ambassadors of tasty eggplant dips served with pita bread used to celebrate the arrival of Spring.

That's amazing information, I'm sure you know your facts, and thank you so very much for helping me understand more about human nature.

It's fantastic just what you can learn on literotica.

Can you explain please ?

Google gives 'ganouche' as an eggplant based food....... is there a special connection with today, 1st March ?

It's from comedy.

Way back in the early 60’s, TV sitcom trailblazer Danny Thomas, himself Lebanese, used the unfamiliarity of the mainstream US to foreign terms and the overall amusing sound of the name to get laughs by naming a wacky supporting character on the show as “Baba Ganoush”.

It was a common comedy practice used from vaudeville and burlesque to the mid 1960’s. White bread America was very unfamiliar with Yiddish, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Chinese, German, and Polish words and terms. With the right inflection, they sound humorous to the American ear. This ran the range from Danny Thomas’ “Baba Ganoush” an innocent food term to Sid Caesar and Mel Brooks going on at length in Yiddish on TV’s “Show of Shows” about “shtuping”. (Look THAT one up.) The practice fell out of use with comedians as the mainstream audience became more worldly, and ethnic minorities became par of that mainstream audience.

“Baba Ganoush” returned to the airways when Dennis Miller, doing Weekend Update on SNL, began referring to the audience as “Baba Ganoush”. Miller is noted for his obscure cultural references. It was used in “Wedding Crashers” just because it sounded good.

There was also a late night TV show parody which overlaid comedic talk-show commentary about contestants at "Takeshi's Castle" in Japan. In some of the episodes I watched, one of characters was named "Baba Ganoush". It wasn't always the same guy because it was just a funny sounding name that the commentators stuck on someone.

You can watch episodes on u-tube.

Back