A Minoan Adventure ( closed for DeathsKnight)

Tierra watched carefully as Tertius showed her how to mend the net, then worked on it for the rest of the day. Every once in a while she would take a quick glance over at Tertius when he was busy elsewhere. She wondered how he got to be so harsh and what led him to be a pirate. Coins seemed to be all he really cared about, she shook her head slightly as she continued to work.

Mending the nets with the tools she had was hard work but she kept on at it. It didn't take a lot of concentration, so she had lots of time to think. She looked at the crew, their life was hard and probably short, what with the hazards of the sea and being the thieves that they were. She had never thought about how other people lived until now.

As the day came to an end, she was given some dinner which she wasn't able to eat much of. She was just too tired and sore, all she wanted was to lay down and go to sleep. Once she had followed Tertius back down to his cabin she watched him point to his bed. Walking over to it she stopped and watched him make up a new one over by the door. Once he was finished he waited for her to turn in. Her robe was filthy from working in all day, so sighing she stripped down and slide under the rough blanket. Turning onto her side, she waited for sleep to come. But as tired as she was, it just wouldn't come. She started to quietly sob into the blanket.

Last edited:
In another world, another life, he would have gotten out of his hammock to slide into bed with her, to soothe her and hold her until she fell asleep. Now he slid from his hammock only to blow out the lantern, he returned to his bed, listening to her muffled sobs. Then he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep, he was a light sleeper and was sure that any movement she made would wake him.

He woke to the light gray light of morning, they were moving as a gentle breeze made the small waves ripple and crest with white heads. He slipped from the hammock, stretching out before he dismantled the bed and stuck it back into the trunk. He slipped out and went up onto the deck to prepare himself for the day to come.

Tierra awoke as she heard Tertius moving about getting ready for his day. She stayed still til she heard him leave the room. She sighed, she must have fallen asleep sometime during the night, but still felt totally exhausted. She dragged herself out of bed and looked at the filthy robe, ( well, doesn't look like there is anything else for me to wear.) She picked it up by two fingers, shook it out then proceeded to wrap it around her body again. Once she had the waist tied, she sat down on the bed to wait for Tertius to come and get her. She didn't dare to go up on deck on her own now. In the meantime, she undid her braided hair trying to get the worst of the tangles out with her fingers. Gathering it to one side, she rebraided it tying the end with a small piece of thin cord she found near the trunk. Her hands shook as she did her hair, she was feeling pretty wobbly now, and hoped she would be given something to eat soon.

She looked at the door, wondering when they would be getting to the mainland. As bad as it was on this ship, she at least knew what to expect here, but on the mainland, who knew what would be her fate? All she could hope for was that the gods were watching over her now. She still hadn't forgotten her vow to herself, to escape being a slave for the rest of her life. It was the one thing that would keep her going.

He returned to the cabin, finding Tierra up and dressed,

"If you want more clothes, there must be in the trunk over there."

He pointed at the same one he had taken her new "dress" from,

"Unfortunately only Greek. Breakfast is ready, more broth and bread."

He gave her a lopsided grin,

"Luckily we only travel a short distance, you will receive much better food than what we are used to."

He noticed the new braid and nodded,

"You have a nice talent with braiding, it might help you."

He left the door open and stood back, turning to head for the deck.

Tierra stood up as soon as she saw Tertius come into the cabin. She looked at the trunk he pointed to and nodded her head, Thanks, I could do with a clean robe, this one is getting more then I can stomach.” Lifting her eyebrow she added, “and I suppose Greek clothing is better then nothing.”

At his mention of breakfast, she perked up. As he left she called out, “ I'll only be a minute!” Running over to the trunk, she lifted the lid and rummaged around til she found a half decent robe, then proceeded to wrap it around herself. In no time she was headed to the deck. She thought about what he said just before leaving the cabin.

“Luckily we only travel a short distance, you will receive much better food then what we are used to.”

(I wonder if he means we are close to the mainland now? Only the gods knew what was going to happen to her now.) She nervously fiddled with her braid as she continued on her way up to the deck and some much needed breakfast.

By the time she had reached the deck, Tertius had gotten them something to eat and waited patiently. He handed her her bowl and a piece of bread, he did not take a seat this time, he was on watch and he ate while he stood and scanned the boat, making sure that every crew member was where they should be and that they were doing what they should.

He leaned against the railing and looked at Tierra, she was a woman who he couldn't place. Usually the Minoan girls they kidnapped either threw themselves at the mercies of men to survive their ordeal or they crumpled under the shock. Tierra showed more steel, a will to survive and an understanding of what would happen to her...she was one to be watched closely when they drew close to land again.

As Tierra came topside she looked for Tertius, seeing him with an extra bowl and some bread she made her way over to him. When he handed it to her she politely thanked him and proceeded to eat while looking over the ocean. The food was simple but it filled her empty stomach giving her back some of her energy and spirit. She sighed as she swallowed the last of the bread soaked in broth.

Once she had finished her breakfast she took her bowl over to the wash area, cleaned and stacked it up with the others. Coming back to stand beside Tertius she glanced up at him noticing that he watched her closely. Keeping all emotions hidden she asked, “Do you know how far from the mainland we are? And exactly what am I to expect when we get there?” Trying to keep her temper under control she added, “Are you going to sell me like a dog?”

"If the winds hold we are about two weeks away from the mainland."

He looked at her and gave her a rakish grin,

"We kill dogs, they usually end up in a stew..."

He looked at the bowl of food she was eating and his grin grew as the implication sank in, he laughed,

"You are a pretty woman and smart, a bit too feisty for your own good. You will be sold as a house slave. There is fates worse than that, like being sold as a pleasure-slave. Having to bow to every whim of every man you are passed to, I doubt that would be as good as the more high end position a house slave has. You can even become a slave master if you use your wits."

He gave her a sad smile,

"It is better than being a pirate."

Tierra peered up at Tertius as he answered her bringing a frown to her face at the mention of dogs,

“Dogs, you eat dogs?

She felt like she was going to be sick, until she saw him grin and laugh. Rolling her eyes she looked out at the sea, Hearing the rest of his speech she finally turned to him shaking her head,

“A house slave or pleasure slave! That is what I have to look forward for the rest of my life? No....no I will get free if it's the last thing I do, plus I know the gods will help me.”

Seeing his sad smile and hearing his words,

“It's better then being a pirate.”

Tierra couldn't help but ask,

“So tell me, if you don't like being a pirate, why do you stay? You are a man and can do anything you want. From what I can see it is a hard life, with no family or any kind of permanent comfort, why would you live like this?”

She watched him closely as she waited for him to answer her.

He looked down at her,

"And you call us backwards. That kind of thinking, that men can do as they please is so old, that you refuse to see that there is more to life than just being a man."

He sighed,

"I am a man, that much is true, but this is all I know, this is all I can be. What does a soldier do when all he knows is soldiering? He dies from lack of it. How do you leave a pirate ship once you are third in command?"

He leaned closer, giving her a grim grin,

"Death. You may escape your owner Tierra, but you will never escape me."

He raised a hand, his touch gentler than the rough surface of his palms should have allowed,

"The bruise will have faded when we reach land. Get to those nets."

With a steady foot he set off across the deck to make sure all lines secured as the breeze started to pick up.

Tierra glared up at Tertius with fire in her eyes thinking, ( indeed, we are all masters of our own fate, and if he thinks he can't do anything else but be a damn pirate, then he deserves be stay a pirate.) Then she softens and sighs,

“That is too bad Tertius, you could be so much more then a mere pirate.”

He leaned closer, giving her a grim grin,

“Death. You may escape your owner Tierra, but you will never escape me.”

Her eyes flash at him again,

“Oh, Tertius, you can never know what the fates have in store for us, can you?”

She stiffened when he touched her cheek, commenting on her bruise. Without looking back at him she marched over to the nets picking up the needle and coarse thread. Getting to work, without looking to see where he had gotten to. She mumbled about men til it was time for the noonday meal.

The rest of the day went by rather smoothly, the punishment dished out the previous day had improved the disipline, now Tertius will not claim them to be a proper soldiering unit, but when everybody did what they had to during an attack, they were bound to take on a Tireme. He spent some time with the quartermaster on the mid-deck, sharpening his knife skills. As usual the quartermaster got the first nick, first blood brought the training to an end, but it was taking him longer each time to gain his victories. The quartermaster loved to train and keep his own considerable skills sharp, this lead to various nicks and bruises among the crew, but it kept them sharp and ready during battle.

The meal was served as Tertius was cleaning himself, it was always hard work against the quartermaster, but rather be sweaty now than dead later. He had thought about Tierra's words, but she did not understand the life he lived, nor did she understand how he came to this life. He slipped on his vest, allowing the stiff breeze to dry him as he headed towards the helm, it was his turn to steer while the meal was taken, he watched out for Tierra, making sure that from his vantage point she remained as safe as she could be.

Tierra worked hard all morning, mending the fish nets as she has been shown. She was getting better at it, only had poked her hand a few times with the bone needle. When she had poked herself badly enough to bleed she stopped to suck on the wound, while she looked around. That is when she noticed Tertius on the mid-deck practicing his fighting skills with the quartermaster. They went at it with all seriousness even to go as far as to draw blood.

Still sucking on her wound Tierra glanced the other way, that is when she saw that same man looking at her with lust in his eyes. She scowled at him before looking away. Picking up the net and needle again she got back to work thinking, (I hope I never come across that one when I am alone, he means business....if he has a chance I don't think even the thought of Tertius and his punishments would stop him.) She shivered at her thoughts as she finished up the last of the nets, folded them before setting them aside.

She stood up, looking forward to the noontime meal, but since there was a few minutes before it was ready to dish out. She stretched out the cramps she had acquired while hunched up over the nets before moving over to the side rails. It was nice to look out over the ocean. Suddenly she saw a large fish-like creature, she cried out pointing to it,

“Look! One of Poseidon's creatures...wait....I see two more of them, they are so beautiful!”

The men chuckled at her cry, they have seen the creatures so much that the held no more charm. Tertius of course muttered a small prayer in thanks, usually the arrival of dolphins usually showed that the voyage would be safe. Of course the others laughed at his belief, even though they also prayed before they left on a journey. Tertius never was sure about the whole deal of whose prayers gets answered and whose doesn't, he just tried to live best he could...of course the blood on his hands didn't make him a very innocent man at all. He watched her as she stared at the dolphins as they swam next to and around the ship, it had to be a fascinating thing for her to see, he could remember the first time he saw them as well and the memory brought a slight smile to his lips.

Kaspar was looking at Tierra as well, as it was time for the food to be served, he had a right to stand with the other men. Some of them glanced at Tierra every now and then, but Kaspar took in her form, it had been a while since he had a woman and this one was just too pretty to just ignore, his eyes took in her smooth legs, the roundness of her ass, her trim middle and dark hair...oh what a time she will give him if only he got a slight chance...

Tierra watched the sea animals for a few more minutes waiting for the men to get their portions of food and move off with it. She wished she could be free like those sea creatures. They swam and played like they didn't have a care in the world, she smiled at them.

After a little more time passed she glanced back at the men to see if the majority of them had their food. That is when she saw that man Kaspar looking at her again her lip curled and she looked away again. She put her arms around herself, shivered and wished she could go somewhere, anywhere she didn't have to see him looking at her like that.

Glancing back again she decided to go down below and wait til the men were all done with their meals and back to work then she would come back up. So gathering up her long shirts Tierra made her way over to the hatch and descended down below. It was hot and stuffy down there but she still preferred it to the gawking men. As soon as she reached Tertius's cabin she opened the door and stepped inside.

The cabin was dark compared to topside, but it was good get out of the hot sun for a short time. Closing the door behind her Tierra was glad she had decided to come down here, a little rest would do her good, she found she wasn't as hungry now as she had been earlier. She walked over to the bed sat down sighed then swung her legs up and laid down.

Last edited:
On silent feet and as onubtrusive as possible Kaspar went down below deck. He just couldn't help himself, he had met various forms of punishment, but the woman attracted him like a candle flame draws a moth. He grinned lopsidedly as he sneaked to the closed door, he waited, listening intently, testing the door he found it open. He waited longer, then he eased the door open and slipped inside. The girl was on the bed, eyes closed, he grinned to himself as he moved quietly over to the bed.

When she seemed to sense his precense he rushed closer, his hand covering her mouth as he threw his body over her own, preventing her to rise. Of course she struggled, but he had enough experience to pin her down enough to not let her escape. He kept his hand firmly over her mouth, when he was sure that she could see him, he pinched her nose close, grinning down at her. Soon enough the lack of oxygen caught up with her struggling body and she went limp under him.

Tierra sighed as she laid back on the bed, (This is nice...peaceful and I certainly deserve a small rest after working on that stupid net all morning.) The ship made the usual creaks as it moved through the water, lulling the tired girl to a light sleep.

She dreamed she was back at the beach on her beloved Crete...laying back after having had a light lunch...of some figs and flat bread. She could hear the sea birds cry as they flew over her, and in the background the sound of the gentle waves as they washed up on shore. Suddenly she felt a sudden fear...but didn't know where it came from. She opened her eyes glanced up and down the shoreline, then lay back down again. Shaking her head slightly she thought, (I am just being silly there is no one around.) There is was again...the fear...deep down in her guts...it was enough for Tierra to wake up.

That is when she heard the creak of the floor board, she opened her eyes in time to see a huge man rush over to her. Before she could take breath to scream he clamped his hand over her mouth at the same time throwing his body on top of hers. She struggled for all she was worth, trying to kick at him but he was way to smart for that sort of thing. This went on until he could see that she knew who he was, grinning broadly he brought his other hand to her nose and pinched it closed.

Tierra renewed her efforts of trying to throw ....Kaspar off but now he wouldn't let her breath...she moaned as her struggles became weaker. The last thing she saw as blackness overtook her was his mean and nasty grin...just inches away from her face.

Tertius noticed Tierra slipping away, she did look a little ragged around the edges, she must have been tired. He smiled, her hands showed that she wasn't used to hard work, yet her spirit was more than willing. He noticed some eyes looking at him and quickly dart away, this made him frown. Then it dawned on him that Kaspar wasn't among the crew. Tertius softly swore and called the helmsman over to keep the helm for a few minutes. As he headed down below deck, he drew his sword, there was chuckles behind him, voices stated that Kaspar really had this coming.

Tertius quickly made his way to his cabin, the door stood ajar and he peeked inside. Kaspar was sitting on top of Tierra, he had pulled open the clothing she had worn, laying her bare before him, he was busy fondling her breasts, clearly working himself up as Tertius could see from Tierra's body that she was not concious.

Kaspar was so intent on the body underneath him, that he forgot about all else, he had already slipped his cock free, it was throbbing already as he mauled the girl's breasts, they were firm, but so soft and supple to the touch, he couldn't wait to feel what her insides felt like, he licked his lips at the thought...a loud swishing sound broke his reverie, he felt the bite of something sharp on his neck and then it all went black.

Tertius watched as Kaspar's head toppled from his body. Grabbing hold of the body, he jerked it from Tierra, he slid the sword back into it's sheath and picked up the head. Dragging the body behind him, he left a trail of blood as he went back up onto the deck. Silence met his arrival, he stared at the crew for a few moments, the dead body going into it's death throes and the severed head a clear message to all,

"I hope you are smarter than him."

Then he threw the head over the railing and tossed the body after it,

"The deck needs cleaning."

He turned and walked back to his cabin, a scramble to comply to his demand erupting behind him. He picked up the bowl with water used for bathing, carried it over to Tierra and started to bathe her face, she was breathing, the rising and falling of her breasts a testament to that. He inspected the bruise on the side of her head, it should be healed by the time they made port. He looked over her naked form and then slowly washed the blood from her, covering her up again.

It took a while, but finally he could see her eyes fluttering, she was bound to wake up soon. He kept wiping the cool cloth over her face, he realized that she was actually a beautiful woman and he smiled at himself.

I moaned softly as I made my way back to consciousness, then the dreadful memory came crashing back. (That man....Kasper...his leering face, his hands on my mouth..then I couldn't breath ...help me...someone help me!). I felt something on cold on my face which finally brought me out of my nightmare. My eyes flew open the shadow of a man...that man...I brought my hands up to try and push him away then I screamed and starting fighting.

He grabbed both my wrists and held them on either side of my head...calmly speaking,

"Easy...easy Tierra....it's OK now...your OK....just be easy."

I stopped struggling when I heard his voice...Tertius...breathing rapidly..I said in a hoarse voice,

"Tertius...is that you? Oh gods ..that man...he came in here...he tried to kill me...I couldn't breathe...couldn't fight him...it was horrible!"

My whole body was trembling by this time....I kept looking up at Tertius to see if I was really safe now. I tried not to cry...but a few tears slid down my cheeks anyways. As I slowly calmed down my eyes looked towards the door...then to the floor where I saw a trail of blood...bright red blood.

I looked back at Tertius with a question in my eyes,

"Tertius...what happend here...where is ...that man Kasper ...he is the one who attacked me, I remember it all now. He came in...I had just fallen asleep and was dreaming of being back home, but in my dream...I sensed some danger. That is when I woke up....before I could scream he was on me...covering my mouth...holding me down with his body. It was awful...then he ...I couldn't breathe....now I remember...he held my nose shut......I couldn't breathe even though I fought with all my strength. Then everything went black."

I looked back at the blood on the floor...I needed to know,

" Is he dead?...that man...is he dead?"

He looked down at her, in a way he felt sorry for her, being ripped out of the safety of her own world and placed in his own, umder his mercy while men like Kaspar circled her like hungry sharks,

"He is dead, I killed him."

The words made an impact on her and he decided he owed her an explanation,

"He was going to force himself on you."

He fingered the cloth she wore on his command,

"It covers more, but removes easily. He knew not to do it and now he is dead."

He picked up the wet cloth and gently bathed the bruise where he had hit her during her escape attempt.

"Are you better now?"

There was a sound at the entrance and he glanced back to see two of the younger pirates cleaning up the blood.

"Come"

He helped her up and led her back to the deck, he got her a bowl of food and relieved the helsman. He gave her the bowl with food after she had taken a seat,

I sat still as I listened to what Tertius had to say, I shivered when he finally finished, picking up the wet cloth gently touching it to my temple. It was still very sore, but the cool cloth did feel good. Just as he asked,

"Are you feeling better now?"

I sighed nodding my head as two pirates came in with buckets and mops..to clean up the blood. I frowned wishing we could get away from this cabin, I could smell the blood ...what I needed was some fresh air. Tertius glanced at the men bidding me,

"Come."

I looked at him gratefully as he helped me up from the cot, I followed him back up on deck. Everyone seemed subdued keeping busy at their duties. Once we were at the helm, he motioned me to stay put while he went off towards where the food was kept. I watched as he dished up a bowl took a cup dipping it in the water barrel. When Tertius came back he relieved the helmsman nodded his head for me to take a seat, then handed me the food and water.

I looked into the bowl whatever it was, it was cold and congealed by now but I didn't care, it seemed like it had been ages since I had anything to eat. I took my spoon and dipped it into the bowl, brought it to my lips and put it in my mouth. It had no flavour to speak of, but to me at that moment it tasted wonderful I guess I was famished. In no time I had the bowl empty and was just washing it down with the last of the water when I happened to glance up at Tertius, it seemed like he had been watching me the whole while. I frowned and asked,

"What? Are my manners lacking? I was famished if you want to know, its been a long day and its not even mid afternoon yet.' I hesitated before asking, 'What will you have me for the rest of the day?"

I hoped he didn't have something too strenuous in mind for me, I was still pretty shaken up from the attack. Actually when I thought about that man's hands on me, my face, body I really just wanted to wash his smell off me. I wish I could jump in the ocean to feel it cleanse all the dirt and grime from days of being on this ship, I daydreamed of the cool ocean water caressing my body as I waited to hear Tertius's orders.

He just shook his head,

"I like looking at you. It is better than to look at the other men."

He gave her an off-handed smile, checking that they were still on course, he reflected on her question and smiled,

"You can keep me company, or wait for the cabin to get cleaned then you can rest. This time use the bolt to lock the door."

He was surprised at how much his Minoan was improving as he spoke with her, the fact that she seemed to catch on to most of the Greek that was spoken around her, did not truly escape him, but he found no danger in her getting to know the language, so he didn't call her on it.

I was very glad to hear that Tertius wasn't going to work me too much for the rest of the day. I nodded my head replying,

"I think I will just stay here for awhile, even when they have finished cleaning up the cabin, I am sure it will need airing out for a few hours."

I looked outwards to the ocean hoping to see those sea creatures again, but they seemed to have moved on. Sighing I glanced up at Tertius, wondering, ( Would he be willing to tell me what was going to happen when we reached land. Well I won't know until I ask),

"Tertius....since I have no idea what to expect when we reach land, will you tell me what is going to happen? I have never been to the mainland, so it is all very frightening to me, plus your going to sell me, I just want to know what to expect. Do the people on the mainland all speak Greek, or will there be some that speak Minoan?"

Based on what information he was willing to tell me, I intended to adapt to whatever I needed to do in order to survive. Not knowing what would be happening to me, caused me many hours of sleeplessness during the nights. Of course Tertius didn't need to know how very afraid I was, I'd rather he just think I was able to handle anything that came my way. But inside I trembled often with my thoughts of being badly beaten or like that Kasper had planed....raped. I may not know what rape was all about...but I knew that women had a great fear of it. I waited to hear what he was willing to tell me.

He looked out over the ocean,

"At the docks and market many people speak a lot of languages, mainly Greek as they are in Greece."

He looked down at her where she sat,

"Since you are a maiden and pretty, you will be sold for a good price..."

He paused briefly before he went on,

"Many rich men buys their house slaves at the high class market and you are intended for that. House slaves serves the whims of masters, you will do everything from scrubbing floors to oiling the master or mistress. The only need you will not have to fulfill will be lust, pleasure slaves tends to those needs."

He looked away, it was the time of year for the sacrifices, he didn't mention that some owners gave up virgin slaves in the place of their daughters, he didn't wish to scare her for no reason

I listened carefully to what Tertius was willing to tell me, from what he was saying I knew that I wasn't going to like the kind of life that I was headed for. I had always been the one being waited on, not the other way around. I sighed, I should have married that rich land owner my Papa had tried to talk me into marrying. At least I would have had a typical life of leisure....but Nooo I had to go out that day and get myself kidnapped. I couldn't sit still when I thought about what I had done to get myself in this impossible situation.

I needed all the information I could get from Tertuis, after talking about the pleasure slaves he paused before looking away. I frowned as I looked as his expression, he wanted me to think that was all there was to know, but I knew that he wasn't telling me everything. Walking over to the helm I put my hand on his arm trying to get him to look at me,

"Tertius are you sure there isn't anything else you want to tell me? I need to know everything you know to give me a fighting chance." I hesitated before continuing...."Like what is the best way to behave when on the auction block? What kind of owner wants a passive slave or an assertive slave? Should I act dumb, or like I don't understand the language? Tertius give me something more ...to help me...please!"

Then it dawned on me, ( Was I going to be paraded around like some exotic wild girl from Crete, would they make me wear my open bodice dress? I knew we were much more civilized then the people on the mainland, but....unfortunately for me they thought they were the most civilized people. I wasn't looking forward to having all kinds of depraved men looking or even touching my body. I mentally cringed at that thought. I'd really had enough of gawking men on this ship!)

I looked deeply into his eyes trying to get him to give into me ..on this point anyways. I waited my eyes locked onto his.

Back