1875 Double barrel hammered shotgun tree carving

Hard_Rom

Northumbrian Skald
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Posts
13,623
Tried my hand at a tree carving. Late 19th century shotgun and fishing rod, reel and cover.
 

Attachments

  • gunside2.jpg
    gunside2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 80
  • gunprogress1.jpg
    gunprogress1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 50
  • hammer.jpg
    hammer.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 41
  • reelside2.jpg
    reelside2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 42
Is this a tree on your property and what kind of tree is it? I don't know much about guns or carving, but I thought this was creative and interesting.
 
It is on the property of my fishing club. The tree is poplar. I use a Copper II wood preservative which changes the colour of the wood a bit. It was recently finished with two coats of urethane. Poplar is a nice wood. Medium grain can be stained to look like many types of wood. Tree grows fast and dies soon.

It is the small tree to the left. I assisted with large carving. Sort of my apprenticeship. Carver was 72. I moved scaffolding around and used large carbide rotary tool to remove large areas. He used chisels and carved in the round. Large carving 18' tall.

This was carved 4 years ago. Starting to suffer from rot at base. Am trying to preserve the tree until we can cut it down and mount on a concrete pad.

My smaller one was done with chisel, rotary tool and dremel.
 

Attachments

  • tree of life - Copy.gif
    tree of life - Copy.gif
    78.1 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top