The Greatest Scientic Fraud of All Time

JC's (un)motivated reasoning
by Judith Curry, Ph.D.
https://judithcurry.com/2017/12/28/jcs-unmotivated-reasoning/

...At issue is my politics, my ideology, my advocacy, my activism, my civility.

So here goes.

My politics

Politically, I’m an independent. In Presidential elections since 1972, I have voted for Democrats, Republicans and occasionally third party candidates. Unfortunately, I typically find myself voting against the most ‘objectionable’ candidate. One exception was Obama #1; I was a strong supporter and am on public record as having made campaign contributions (I was much less enthusiastic about Obama #2)...

I have for many years been a student of the corrosive effects of ideology on science. This was prompted originally by works of Jacob Bronowski, Primo Levi, Charles Mackay, and an abiding interest in the history of I G Farben. As a guide, primarily for myself, I developed a set of characteristics of ideologues, to better recognize and interpret their behavior. (These are based in part on some ideas of John Ralston Saul in his “Unconscious Civilization”).

There are five attributes of ideologues:
1. Absence of doubt
2. Intolerance of debate
3. Appeal to authority
4. A desire to convince others of the ideological “truth”
5. A willingness to punish those that don’t concur
-Nick Darby

In the climate communication world, it has become very trendy to wear your political ideology on your sleeve. How many ‘climate science communicators’ can you name that have at least 4 of the above attributes of ideologues with regards to climate change?...

(much) more...
https://judithcurry.com/2017/12/28/jcs-unmotivated-reasoning/

The disciples of the church of Global Warming are all atwitter.......again. Death and destruction are just around the corner.

Small item though. We are approaching the 100,000 year Milankovich maximum. This will occur in 2024. The earth will be 13% (+/-) further away from the sun than it has been in, well, 100,000 years. Even worse this maximum is going to occur during winter in the northern hemisphere.

Those of you with any knowledge of physics are aware of the law of inverse squares. You can work the math out on your own, but the amount of solar radiation reaching the earth is going to be severely diminished. Make sure to 'layer up' kiddies.

The disciples of the church of Global Warming are all atwitter.......again. Death and destruction are just around the corner.

Small item though. We are approaching the 100,000 year Milankovich maximum. This will occur in 2024. The earth will be 13% (+/-) further away from the sun than it has been in, well, 100,000 years. Even worse this maximum is going to occur during winter in the northern hemisphere.

Those of you with any knowledge of physics are aware of the law of inverse squares. You can work the math out on your own, but the amount of solar radiation reaching the earth is going to be severely diminished. Make sure to 'layer up' kiddies.

In a 100,000 cycle, the difference between 2017 and 2024 is negligible

Thanks for the laugh, Chuckles.

So working out the math as you suggest, means that the last Milankovich maximum occurred in 97,976 BC. Did the newspapers at the time report on it?

This is How Wind and Solar Energy Will Crush Fossil Fuels

A few numbers pop out from this table. One is that a whopping 17.38 GW of wind projects were bid at a median price of 1.81 cents per kWh. More shocking is that wind with battery storage was just 2.10 cents per kWh, which would beat every fossil fuel option.

On the solar side, the 13.44 GW of solar bids is a huge number, and bids of 2.95 cents per kWh would be among the lowest bids ever in the U.S. But 3.6 cents per kWh for solar plus storage is incredible given the fact that it'll beat most energy sources besides wind.

What we don't know about these bids right now is the size of the storage component, which will impact cost and the flexibility of the asset. But the fact that wind and solar can be combined with energy storage for 2.1 cents/kWh and 3.6 cents/kWh respectively is astonishing because it makes fossil fuels obsolete as a form of new electricity generation.

This is How Wind and Solar Energy Will Crush Fossil Fuels

A few numbers pop out from this table. One is that a whopping 17.38 GW of wind projects were bid at a median price of 1.81 cents per kWh. More shocking is that wind with battery storage was just 2.10 cents per kWh, which would beat every fossil fuel option.

On the solar side, the 13.44 GW of solar bids is a huge number, and bids of 2.95 cents per kWh would be among the lowest bids ever in the U.S. But 3.6 cents per kWh for solar plus storage is incredible given the fact that it'll beat most energy sources besides wind.

What we don't know about these bids right now is the size of the storage component, which will impact cost and the flexibility of the asset. But the fact that wind and solar can be combined with energy storage for 2.1 cents/kWh and 3.6 cents/kWh respectively is astonishing because it makes fossil fuels obsolete as a form of new electricity generation.

If that all comes to a reality, I'm all for it. I've never been 'against' alternate fuels. I'm against the government picking winners and losers without regard to economic costs to the consumer.

Just be aware that both wind and solar have their own environmental downsides.

Q: Isn’t the Melting of Arctic Sea Ice Evidence of Warming?

A: Warming, yes…manmade warming, no. Arctic sea ice naturally melts back every summer, but that meltback was observed to reach a peak in 2007. But we have relatively accurate, satellite-based measurements of Arctic (and Antarctic) sea ice only since 1979. It is entirely possible that late summer Arctic Sea ice cover was just as low in the 1920s or 1930s, a period when Arctic thermometer data suggests it was just as warm. Unfortunately, there is no way to know, because we did not have satellites back then. Interestingly, Antarctic sea ice has been growing nearly as fast as Arctic ice has been melting over the last 30+ years.

-Roy W. Spencer, Ph.D.

If that all comes to a reality, I'm all for it. I've never been 'against' alternate fuels. I'm against the government picking winners and losers without regard to economic costs to the consumer.

Just be aware that both wind and solar have their own environmental downsides.

How much of that price reflects the government subsidies to various steps of the process of providing power through those projects?

In Arizona they offered up to a $10,000 tax credit to purchase an electric vehicle. I repeat tax credit not tax deduction actual money given to you by the government in the form of a check.

This resulted in an awful lot of $10,000 electric golf carts being sold. None of which were of any help at all with our traffic congestion on are freeways or actual pollution. People bought them because they were free it was a fun thing to have in your garage.

...One-sided media reporting is a striking feature of the climate and energy debate. “Climate denier” and “tool of malign fossil-fuel interests” are epithets used to delegitimize dissent and quash diversity of opinion. “Climate change is a fact,” President Obama declared in his 2014 State of the Union address. As philosopher Stephen Hicks argues in Explaining Post-Modernism, the post-modern Left uses language primarily as a weapon to silence opposing voices, not as an attempt to describe reality. To close the debate down, science masquerading as impartial judge is deployed as lead prosecutor. Dissenters and skeptics are derided as Flat Earthers and scientific ignoramuses. Yet the most stupid utterance on the science of global warming goes without a breath of criticism from scientists who regularly furnish the media with hostile quotes on skeptics’ views. “This is simple. Kids at the earliest age can understand this,” Secretary of State John Kerry told an audience in Indonesia in 2014. For someone who confessed that he’d found high-school physics and chemistry a challenge, climate science was easy. The science was “absolutely certain.”

It’s something that we understand with absolute assurance of the veracity of that science. No one disputes some of the facts about it. Let me give you an example. When an apple separates from a tree, it falls to the ground.​

Fact conflated with theory; certainty where there is pervasive uncertainty and lack of understanding; simplicity where there is unfathomable complexity; climate-model predictions of warming elevated above observations. The biggest distortion of climate science is unscientific in its premise and authoritarian in its consequence: “The science is settled. We must act.” When systemic media bias is purposed as a tool of state manipulation and social control, a democracy extinguishes its democratic culture...

— Rupert Darwall
Green Tyranny: Exposing the Totalitarian Roots of the Climate Industrial Complex

The Pentagon released a National Defense Strategy that for the first time in more than a decade does not mention manmade global warming as a security threat.

An 11-page summary of the new National Defense Strategy makes no mention of “global warming” or “climate change”. The document makes no mention of “climate,” “warming,” “planet,” “sea levels” or even “temperature.” All 22 uses of the word “environment” refer to the strategic or security landscape...

Finally— some fucking sanity.

Would you like me to post in your thread every time I post in mine?

That'll show him!

In the alternative, you could read and learn about the subject and be in a position to meaningfully respond to the quite valid points he raises.

That'll show him!

In the alternative, you could read and learn about the subject and be in a position to meaningfully respond to the quite valid points he raises.

That's good advice for you to take, Mr Anti-Science Sissyboi. :)

Junk Science >>> Media Gullibility & Malpractice >>> Government Promulgation >>> Really, Really, Really Stupid Actions >>> Colossal Waste & Misallocation of Scarce Resources

Another Candidate For The Stupidest Litigation In The Country
by Francis Menton ("The Manhattan Contrarian")

...The Oregon children's lawsuit explicitly asks for an injunction doing away with all use of fossil fuels in the U.S. How about demanding that, New York City, at least as to your own residents? Don't worry, New Yorkers will never miss the light, heat, air conditioning, refrigeration, transportation, computers, etc., etc., etc. You won't be surprised to learn that the City has stopped short of demanding that relief. They do ask for an injunction, but only "to abate the public nuisance and trespass that would not be effective unless Defendants fail to pay the court-determined damages for the past and permanent injuries inflicted" (whatever that means).

In other words, this lawsuit makes no sense whatsoever on its own terms...

...There could not be any more discredited piece of work in climate science than the Michael Mann "hockey stick" of 1998. They wouldn't really try to rely on that as proof of global warming, would they? Absolutely! There it is prominently featured in paragraph 36. Hey, it's from "peer reviewed literature." Is there any mention here that no one has been able to reproduce Mann's work without access to his data and code, which have never been produced in 20 years? Any mention that Mann has refused multiple times to produce the data and code underlying this paleoclimate reconstruction, and currently is being held in contempt by a Canadian court for failing to produce same in defiance of a court order? Any mention of the mathematical flaws in the methodology uncovered by Canadian auditors McIntyre and McKitrick? Any mention that the reconstruction relies for critical periods almost entirely on a couple of tree ring cores from trees that have been demonstrated not to reflect actual temperatures in recent years? Of course not. This is pseudoscience of the most transparent, and only intended for the most uninformed and gullible as its audience...

more...

Junk Science >>> Media Gullibility & Malpractice >>> Government Promulgation >>> Really, Really, Really Stupid Actions >>> Colossal Waste & Misallocation of Scarce Resources

Another Candidate For The Stupidest Litigation In The Country
by Francis Menton ("The Manhattan Contrarian")

...The Oregon children's lawsuit explicitly asks for an injunction doing away with all use of fossil fuels in the U.S. How about demanding that, New York City, at least as to your own residents? Don't worry, New Yorkers will never miss the light, heat, air conditioning, refrigeration, transportation, computers, etc., etc., etc. You won't be surprised to learn that the City has stopped short of demanding that relief. They do ask for an injunction, but only "to abate the public nuisance and trespass that would not be effective unless Defendants fail to pay the court-determined damages for the past and permanent injuries inflicted" (whatever that means).

In other words, this lawsuit makes no sense whatsoever on its own terms...

...There could not be any more discredited piece of work in climate science than the Michael Mann "hockey stick" of 1998. They wouldn't really try to rely on that as proof of global warming, would they? Absolutely! There it is prominently featured in paragraph 36. Hey, it's from "peer reviewed literature." Is there any mention here that no one has been able to reproduce Mann's work without access to his data and code, which have never been produced in 20 years? Any mention that Mann has refused multiple times to produce the data and code underlying this paleoclimate reconstruction, and currently is being held in contempt by a Canadian court for failing to produce same in defiance of a court order? Any mention of the mathematical flaws in the methodology uncovered by Canadian auditors McIntyre and McKitrick? Any mention that the reconstruction relies for critical periods almost entirely on a couple of tree ring cores from trees that have been demonstrated not to reflect actual temperatures in recent years? Of course not. This is pseudoscience of the most transparent, and only intended for the most uninformed and gullible as its audience...

more...

Another load of fake news about the Mann graph.

Your opinion is noted and ignored.

I can see that you share more than a name with the other religious nutjob. At least his "evidence" is available in a handsomely-bound, single volume.

Your belief in the words of Mann is no different than his belief in the word of Jesus.

Back