Jobs?

sethp

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Posts
12,834
How do you guys find good jobs or good side hustles or business opportunities?

Just wondering. Last few good jobs were through Craigslist. Have had some good leads and interviews through LinkedIn.

Last business was financed with a friend. Writing could be my best side hustle.
 
Craigslist, Monster, Indeed, whatever other job site I can think of.
 
Day Job: was out of work, searched the major job sites for jobs matching my strengths, saw interesting looking thing, applied, went through standard process. Got job, stayed, eventually got promoted a few times.

Side Job #1: friend recommended me to a friend for some freelance work. For a few years it was just a trickle of work, but I built up a good record with them, they recommended me to co-workers, now they give me as much as I have time to do.

Side job #2: cold-invite from somebody who found me on LinkedIn, looking for my skills. Turned out to be pretty crappy so I only stayed a few months before quitting.

Word of mouth is powerful. If you're looking for work, make sure that your friends know this and know what you're good at.
 
Jobs? Steve is dead.

Many early jobs were minimum-wage nightmares open to anyone daft and desperate enough to appear. More substantial jobs also came easily. Military? Merely volunteer. Ambulance crew? Get an EMT certificate and accept the stress. Computer data center? My partner was there and recommended me just as they had been touted by a friend. Hiring bonus FTW! Electronics sales and service? I was hired for my FCC licenses.

I'm now qualified to be a WalMart greeter but that position is gone. No school crossing guards around here. The county isn't hiring dogcatchers. If I needed money, I guess I'd have to open a meth lab.

Jobs are for people who [insert stereotype here]
 
Like writing jobs, or jobs in general? My last job was in 2016 working for a cleaning company that was contracted through the Avis, Budget, Dollar Thrifty rental car group at the airport to clean and move rental cars. I didn't find another job until earlier this summer working at the the traveling Skystar ferris wheel, now I work for a landscaping company. Though I don't count temp jobs as real jobs.
 
Word of mouth, local papers, interwebs, temp agencies, job fairs/corps, Ouija boards, strangers on street corners. When I was a kid, we didn't have a lot of money so before I could work I literally went door to door and offered to do odd jobs for lunch money.
 
I believe you might be looking for this, sir?
http://australianbutlerservices.com.au/

Australian Butler Services specialise in the recruitment of high calibre service professionals for work in private residences, executive jets, super yachts and luxury hotels and resorts. 99% of our recruitment is achieved by word-of-mouth alone.

Sadly, I have neither an executive jet, super yacht, luxury hotel or resort. I doubt I could afford one of these. I was thinking more along the lines of a rent boy... :cool:
 
Australian Butler Services specialise in the recruitment of high calibre service professionals for work in private residences, executive jets, super yachts and luxury hotels and resorts. 99% of our recruitment is achieved by word-of-mouth alone.

Sadly, I have neither an executive jet, super yacht, luxury hotel or resort. I doubt I could afford one of these. I was thinking more along the lines of a rent boy... :cool:
Something to aspire to then?
Maybe.
 
:eek: did someone mention a Guatemalan roll? As tasty as a California roll? :devil:
The Guatemala City cop who pulled us over saw our car's California plates and begged us to take him back with us. But we were heading south toward Honduras, so that couldn't work, alas. On the way back, at the border, a couple of armed, uniformed guys asked for a ride to Guatemala City. Lleno, we're full, no room, sorry, lo siento.
 
*whispers quietly* Life goals: be Batman.
Exactly. No harm in having ambitions .... says the one here who might want invisibility on demand as a superpower. Hm. Although I guess a really good butler with a highly attuned sense of discretion could help me with that in certain circumstances.
 
Everybody needs a house like Batman has, a batmobile, a cave... ...and an Alfred.
IIRC a 'batman' is an officer's enlisted servant -- an armed butler. Let's wiki that:
Batman (military)

A batman is a soldier or airman assigned to a commissioned officer as a personal servant. Before the advent of motorized transport, an officer's batman was also in charge of the officer's "bat-horse" that carried the pack saddle with his officer's kit during a campaign.

The U.K. English term is derived from the obsolete bat, meaning "pack saddle" (from French bât, from Old French bast, from Late Latin bastum).​

Bruce Wayne was Batman. His butler Alfred was effectively a batman. Coincidence, or... ?? And if you're a free-lance or agency butler, can you list your occupation as Batman on your business card? Would that be wise?

PS: Don't forget the bat-horse.
 
Back
Top