Seldom-used words - M to A

I'm really surprised by the lack of care with which provincial restaurants sometimes treat the wine that goes with their food. (I'm sure I must have told the story about the Prince of Wales and the bottle of Chateau d'Yquem in the previous thread.)

Musty - mouldy stale state which things get into if left lying around too long. Particularly used of smell. It seems unclear whether the word comes from a corruption of moist, or from
Must - grape juice before/during fermentation.

It seems to be both.

Good one, Naoko, thanks for adding it. I really don't remember reading the Prince of Wales and the wine story, so, when you have time, would you post it here, please? Honestly, though, my memory is not what it used to be.

morality play - noun an allegorical play popular in the 15th and 16th centuries in which the characters personify moral qualities or abstractions

You will like this story! For those who've already heard it, I come bearing Myrrh and Melchizedek.

Melchizedek was a king and priest, and Jesus Christ is said to be 'a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek'.

And apparently, women in Mali wear 'myrrh beads' (not beads of myrrh but seeds from some other tree) in strands round their hips. Very charming I expect it looks, too.

OK, so there was a Prince of Wales (I forget which one, and it doesn't matter, he was a Prince), who had brought over a chef from France specially to cook for him. The chef was superlatively good, and one night he absolutely surpassed himself. The food was just melting in the mouths of the guests, it was delicious.

The Prince called the chef up from the kitchens, and the guests waited for him to tell the chef how scrumptious that food had been.

"The Château d'Yquem was very good tonight," the Prince said.

Well ... the guests waited in horror for the chef to storm out in Gallic disgust.

The chef smiled. "The Prince knows," he said, "that for the wine to be good, the food must be perfect."

Thank you so much, Naoko, for adding the story and it is a goody. Both of your Ms words are great, too. I have heard this one before, when I was in Yosemite, but not recently;

moraine - noun an accumulation of earth and stones carried and finally deposited by a glacier

I realized while gardening yesterday that certain words, like morass, are used more often in other countries. So, they can be seldom-used here in America, but not elsewhere.

Thank you so much, Naoko, for adding the story and it is a goody. Both of your Ms words are great, too. I have heard this one before, when I was in Yosemite, but not recently;

moraine - noun an accumulation of earth and stones carried and finally deposited by a glacier

I realized while gardening yesterday that certain words, like morass, are used more often in other countries. So, they can be seldom-used here in America, but not elsewhere.

. 2 Hort. A bed made largely of stones covered with fine chippings, designed to produce suitable conditions for alpine plants.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

A word I have never heard before, Handley, thanks for posting it.

Another is the same vein;

mor - noun forest humus with a layer of largely organic matter abruptly distinct from the mineral soil beneath

There is so much mor in the forest around my house, it is amazing.

Greetings, posters. Another busy day for me.

A fabric word to add to the others;

moquette - noun a carpet or upholstery fabric having a velvety pile

That was a long day, but at least it is over;

I didn't know this word, until I watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, where it was used often;

moppet - noun 1. archaic: BABY, DARLING 2. CHILD

1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue - Letter M cont...

Machines - Mrs Phillips's Ware = Cundum [modern Condom]

Mackerel - a Bawd: from the French maquerel

Madam Ran - A whore

Madge - the private parts of a woman

Madge Culls - Sodomites [Male homosexuals]

Magg - A halfpenny

Maggot Boiler - A tallow-chandler [Candle seller]

Magnum Bonum - A bottle containing two quarts of wine [4 pints, half an Imperial Gallon]

Mahometan Gruel
- Coffee: because formerly used chiefly by the Turks. [Old-fashioned Turkish Coffee was very thick and sweet, a much thicker consistency than any modern Coffee preparation]

Malkin or Maulkin - A general name for a cat; also a parcel of rags fastened to the end of a stick, to clean an oven; also a figure set up in a garden to scare the birds [scarecrow]; likewise an awkward woman.

Man Trap - A woman's commodity [=cunt].

Margery Prater - A hen.

Marine Officer - An empty bottle: Marine Officers being held [thought] useless by the seamen.

Mawkes - A vulgar slattern.

Medlar - A fruit, vulgarly called an open arse; of which it is more truly than delicately said, that it is never ripe till it is as rotten as a turd, and then it is not worth a fart.

Words in square brackets [] are og's explanations.

1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue - Letter M cont 2

Melting Moments - A fat man and woman in the amorous congress. [fucking]

Member Mug - Chamber Pot

Merry Arse Christian
- A whore.

Merry-begotten - A bastard.

Mess John - A Scotch presbyterian teacher or parson.

Mettle - The semen. To fetch mettle: the act of self-pollution. [masturbation] Mettle is also figuatively used for courage.

Mine Arse On A Bandbox
- An answer to the offer of anything inadequate to the purpose for which it is wanted, just as a bandbox would be if used as a seat. [A bandbox was a lightweight hat box]

[More Og comment: The 1811 Dictionary purports to be a dictionary of slang current at the time of publication, but in practice, as with all dictionaries, it was out of date when it was printed, actually showing usage from about 20 years before. Slang, or cant, evolved quickly because it was intended to confuse or deceive uninitiated listeners. The term Mrs Phillips's Ware quoted in the post above, was current in the 1780s. Mrs Phillips had re-opened her business in 1776, having retired some years earlier.]

Og, you are simply the best. Thank you for posting all those great vulgar words, they are so interesting. My favorite has to be Mine Arse On A Bandbox.

Here is one of my mother's favorite words;

mooch - vb 1. to wander aimlessly: AMBLE; also: SNEAK 2. SPONGE, CADGE ~ vi 1. to take surreptitiously : STEAL 2. CADGE, BEG

Oh gosh, Melting Moments! that's lush, LOL.

Mimesis - a word we could use a lot more on this board, meaning the imitation of the world as a model for truth, beauty and goodness, as opposed to narrative - which tells the world, not shows it. I am slowly re-reading Auerbach's Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature.

Naoko, that sounds like an interesting book. Be sure and let us know how you like it, when you are finished.

Here is a word that describes a local place called Black Butte, which sits very near the base of the volcano, Mt. Shasta, just 12 miles north of where I live.

monticule - noun a little mount; specif: a subordinate cone of a volcano

A pleasant Monday morning greeting to all. I hope you had a relaxing weekend.

montgolfier - noun a balloon raised by the buoyancy of air heated by a fire in the lower part

A pleasant Monday morning greeting to all. I hope you had a relaxing weekend.

montgolfier - noun a balloon raised by the buoyancy of air heated by a fire in the lower part

It's the names of the brothers who built the first one about 1783.

Yes, Handley, my dictionary says it was Joseph and Jacques Montgolfier. Their balloon ascent was an amazing feat for its time.

Here are two words I found interesting;

montero - noun a round cap with a flap worn by huntsmen

monteith - noun a large silver punch bowl with scalloped rim

Hello, everyone, back with another M word.

mont-de-piété - noun a public pawnbroker's office for lending money at reasonable rates

I'm taking a lunch break from the yard work and decided to post another word, which is not seldom-used here;

mons veneris - noun a rounded eminence of fatty tissue upon the pubic symphysis of the human female

The dictionary certainly makes the whole thing rather clinical. Now, I have to look up symphysis.

From Gray's Anatomy p.310

The pubic symphysis or symphysis pubis is the midline cartilaginous joint (secondary cartilaginous) uniting the superior rami of the left and right pubic bones. It is located anterior to the urinary bladder and superior to the external genitalia; for females it is above the vulva and for males it is above the penis. In males, the suspensory ligament of the penis attaches to the pubic symphysis. In females, the pubic symphysis is intimately close to the clitoris. In normal adults it can be moved roughly 2 mm and with 1 degree rotation. This increases for women at the time of childbirth.

I know more now than I did about my own body.

I'm taking a lunch break from the yard work and decided to post another word, which is not seldom-used here;

mons veneris - noun a rounded eminence of fatty tissue upon the pubic symphysis of the human female

The dictionary certainly makes the whole thing rather clinical. Now, I have to look up symphysis.

If you'll permit me?

symphysis /smfss/ n. Pl. -physes /-fsiz/. L16. [mod.L f. Gk sumphusis growing together (esp. of bones), f. as SYM- + phusis growth.]
1 Anat. & Zool. The union of two bones or skeletal elements by fusion of the bone or by cartilaginous connection; the part, or line of junction, where this occurs or occurred, esp. where two similar bones on opposite sides of the body are united in the median line, as that of the pubic bones. L16.
2 The union or fusion of other separate parts, either surgically or naturally. Now rare. L19.symphyseal, symphysial /-fzl/ adjs. of or pertaining to a symphysis; situated at or forming a symphysis: M19. symphysiotomy n. (Med.) (an instance of) a surgical operation to cut through the symphysis pubis to facilitate delivery. M19.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Very good definition, Handley, and thanks for adding it.

There are so many mono words, it has taken some time to go through them all, but here is one I have never heard;

monoecious - adj 1. having male and female sex organs in the same individual: HERMAPHRODITIC 2. having pistillate and staminate flowers on the same plant

Hello, and a very good day to you;

monody - noun 1. an ode sung by one voice (as in a Greek tragedy) 2. ELEGY, DIRGE 3.a. a monophonic vocal piece b. the monophonic style of 17th century opera

Here is a word for the airplane fans;

monocoque - noun 1. an aircraft structure in which the outer covering skin carried all or a major part of the stresses 2. the structure of a vehicle in which the body is integral with the chassis

Here is a word for the airplane fans;

monocoque - noun 1. an aircraft structure in which the outer covering skin carried all or a major part of the stresses 2. the structure of a vehicle in which the body is integral with the chassis

A modern Car is a good example [2].
I believe that the Mini was the first to demonstrate the technique.

A modern Car is a good example [2].
I believe that the Mini was the first to demonstrate the technique.

No. It had originally been used as far back as the 1920s by Lancia.

The first British cars to use a monocoque body in volume were the late 1930s Vauxhall 10 and the Morris 10. They are now very rare because when rust set it, it was terminal.

Back