Wheel Challenge: What about Time?

We did used to do a challenge where one person was the organiser who got one person to start the poem on a set theme or not which could turn out amusing. Then this stanza was passed on to the next person not knowing who had written it, until everyone had written their addition with nobody knowing who had written what, only seeing the stanza before their turn. This poem was then posted in it's entirety for guesses of the author of each stanza.

We did used to do a challenge where one person was the organiser who got one person to start the poem on a set theme or not which could turn out amusing. Then this stanza was passed on to the next person not knowing who had written it, until everyone had written their addition with nobody knowing who had written what, only seeing the stanza before their turn. This poem was then posted in it's entirety for guesses of the author of each stanza.

So... the writing was done in PM? Not posted in open thread? Or how was it organized?

So... the writing was done in PM? Not posted in open thread? Or how was it organized?

Yes in PM not posted until it was finished, in fact all our challenges used to be done that way at one time. Poems sent to the challenge starter and only posted when the deadline was reached, then everyone guessed who wrote what. I'm not sure why we stopped doing it.

Yes in PM not posted until it was finished, in fact all our challenges used to be done that way at one time. Poems sent to the challenge starter and only posted when the deadline was reached, then everyone guessed who wrote what. I'm not sure why we stopped doing it.

Interesting.

I wonder if there are people who would feel more comfortable submitting poems in this way, essentially anonymously?

Is there anyone who can speak to why the customary format changed on this board?

Interesting.

I wonder if there are people who would feel more comfortable submitting poems in this way, essentially anonymously?

Is there anyone who can speak to why the customary format changed on this board?

Hi cb. 🙂 I can speak to those early challenges as I was around when they were ongoing and I participated in some. There have always been a variety of challenge types here on the forum and the ones you and UYS have been discussing were based on an old parlor game called Exquisite Corpse. In our challenges a poet would write a stanza or strophe and pm it either to the next poet participating or whoever was running the challenge, who would post each piece without identifying who wrote it. Thus, participants (and lurker/observers) wouldn't know who wrote what till the challenge ended. It wasn't out of a sense of discomfort with the regular submissions process here: most challenge participants were also submitting poems to Lit as well. The anonymity was just part of the fun. There was lots of guessing as to who wrote what. That has always been popular here.

I think the weekly challenges are good though it might be fun to switch things up and make the challenge be a specific form or response to a piece of art or music instead of just subject titles. That can push folks out of their comfort zone, but can also be a great learning experience.

I think it's great to recruit new poets if we can, but I also recognize that, this being Lit, very few people are here for poetry!

Just my opinions. Hope it helps. :rose:

Hi cb. 🙂 I can speak to those early challenges as I was around when they were ongoing and I participated in some. There have always been a variety of challenge types here on the forum and the ones you and UYS have been discussing were based on an old parlor game called Exquisite Corpse. In our challenges a poet would write a stanza or strophe and pm it either to the next poet participating or whoever was running the challenge, who would post each piece without identifying who wrote it. Thus, participants (and lurker/observers) wouldn't know who wrote what till the challenge ended. It wasn't out of a sense of discomfort with the regular submissions process here: most challenge participants were also submitting poems to Lit as well. The anonymity was just part of the fun. There was lots of guessing as to who wrote what. That has always been popular here.

I think the weekly challenges are good though it might be fun to switch things up and make the challenge be a specific form or response to a piece of art or music instead of just subject titles. That can push folks out of their comfort zone, but can also be a great learning experience.

I think it's great to recruit new poets if we can, but I also recognize that, this being Lit, very few people are here for poetry!

Just my opinions. Hope it helps. :rose:
Thank you for the background Angeline :rose:

A few of the wheel of the year challenges have been form specific and the current one "The Mask" asks us to write in response to an image. I think these are excellent variations and we would probably do well to do more of them as you suggest.

I would say part of recruiting poets into challenges or to this part of the board is part reaching out to folks in other parts of the board that we might know have an interest in poetry (there are some rather active haiku threads on both the PG and the BDSM boards) and part being welcoming to people when they do show up here. Not something that I particularly experienced in my early posting here which nearly sent me packing permanently. Just saying.

Thank you for the background Angeline :rose:

A few of the wheel of the year challenges have been form specific and the current one "The Mask" asks us to write in response to an image. I think these are excellent variations and we would probably do well to do more of them as you suggest.

I would say part of recruiting poets into challenges or to this part of the board is part reaching out to folks in other parts of the board that we might know have an interest in poetry (there are some rather active haiku threads on both the PG and the BDSM boards) and part being welcoming to people when they do show up here. Not something that I particularly experienced in my early posting here which nearly sent me packing permanently. Just saying.

It's a great idea to recruit folks from other forums if you can. I'd certainly encourage anyone who knows folks from elsewhere at Lit to encourage anyone they know who might be interested in poetry to come over. Another great resource is the daily (well mostly daily) new poems page. We used to have people signed up for each day, Monday through Friday, to read the new poems and recommend poems they especially liked. Some of the poets on this forum now, like UYS, were recruited from the new poems section of Lit.

I guess my one caveat about recruiting is that this forum tends not to tolerate people who only want praise. I guess all one can do is try to suss that out and see how it goes.

I wish we, I personally, could be around and more active. As you may know I've had significant health challenges the past few years and often don't feel up to more than dealing with requests that come via pm, removing spam, etc. I don't love poetry any less and I want to again work on mine more consistently, but I have to find days when I have good energy. And UYS has been through a lot of ill health too. But I do apologise for any slight you may have felt. It's not intentional. ♥️

Also this is a slow time for the forum. I'm hoping it'll pick up as we move into spring and summer...in the northern hemisphere that is.

:rose: ☮️

Does anyone read New Poems now? I posted one a couple of weeks ago and nobody noticed except Anonymous!

I have a poem posted in August 2016 that still has no votes at all. It is non-erotic :eek:

I have a bunch of them. Offhand, I see my three poems posted in September 2002 (one of them erotic). Next to them, there is one posted in February 2015. ...

Last edited:
Green

My time is not my own.
It belongs to family, chores, and home.
Friends here mayn't know the Spring
brings unwanted growth as well as boon.
A one handed man aches; too many hours.
Down the hill side, just a few short weeks,
privit purged, thorns burned,
garden awaits the last frost while the Mister
sports the Summers gleeful mask.

Last edited:
Okay you asked for something different so I made my challenge different, do I presume there will be a sudden flurry of entries before the deadline?

Okay you asked for something different so I made my challenge different, do I presume there will be a sudden flurry of entries before the deadline?

I personally really like your current challenge Annie, and I have been thinking about it all week. I read through the entire original thread (and noted the lively banter between people on the board at that time)

I have had a really heavy week and my creative juices are at a low ebb. But I have every intention of submitting something before the end of the day.

cb

My apologies, vegging out with cold and watching March Madness, any entry will be after deadline.

Any entry any time is always welcome.

the five fingers
the five working days
my fingers like to touch in accords
the days push one key at the time

but weeks
in punching gloves
some weak or piano
some forte or knock-downs
send me to the corner
for weekends to recover​

wh,
1991-03-19

-

Last edited:
Which concussion should I consult to ask the question?

(A cheeky joke, nothing more)

Todsky, you are a professor-level boxing expert. But if your fatherhood responsibilities still allow you to spend some time on poetry, my modest poem can teach you a lot, already this one alone. You will not find too many poems on this level anywhere you'd look. I challenge anybody who can accept this challenge who has some class without their stupid smirks and idiotic clowning.

You can see the organic integration of time, music, sport (boxing), and working professionally. The poem starts right away with the number five associated with two elements which are far apart one from another: the physical element (fingers) and the abstract idea like time (the working days of a week). The language of the poem is spare and simple but its ten lines pack seamlessly all these mentioned notions: hands, time (weekdays and weekends), music, boxing, and working -- just ten lines. This is one of the poems after which I felt that such a harmonious miraculous combination cannot happen more than this one time only. But then, somehow, it has happened to me time and again, and each time I was in disbelieve.

O, yes, there are wonderful poems written by several authors and I admire them! But in the relative terms of percentage -- very few, and many famous poets didn't even come close with their oh-so-philosophical or other ha-ha-sophistication (which actually drives their poems down; whether it is an ordinary folk's BS or a famous folk's BS, BS is BS is BS; many famous authors don't understand this, including at least two Nobel prize winners). It was so nice that for instance, our Rybka (RIP) understood these things so well. Today's PF&D is more subdued, with their skin-deep politeness, but the older PF&D was livelier -- I hope that one-two dynamic new guys together with some relatively new and kind present participants can change the situation for better, will bring fresh air.

Last edited:
not enough time
time slips away
time flies
gotta find some time
gotta make some time
wanna make time with me, darling?
time to time
time will come again
gimme some of your time honey
time is all we have
your time blesses me daily