"Rebooting" a story

ReadyOne

Ready to Rock!
Joined
Mar 31, 2003
Posts
2,097
Several submissions have mentioned that Lit does not allow a story to rebooted. I'm unclear about what a reboot actually is. Or for that matter, just how much change would be allowed.

I understand that posted stories can be resubmitted for corrections. The most obvious is formatting problems such as duplicated lines.

I would also assume that correcting minor inconsistencies is OK, for example making a character or location have the same name everywhere. Small fixes to the time line might also be OK, for example adding years to the stated age of a character so that they didn't have a child at age 10 or marry at age 13. Correcting cultural terms, e.g. "car boot" to "car trunk" in America.

Now some major things. Rewriting a scene to keep the narrator the same through out, or undoing a sudden shift from first to third person. Inserting a sentence or two to give background that clears a point of common confusion. Removing references to an insignificant character or event.

Finally big things. Adding a new scene? Scattering in several paragraphs to expand the reasons for a characters belief or actions. Adding an Epilog. Setting up for a sequel.

At what point, in your experience or rule reading, will the powers that be dismiss a resubmission as being too great an alteration, or as a reboot?
 
Rebooting stories is fine. But you can't have 2 stories at the same time (although it sometimes happen)

1. You can delete an old story then resubmit the newer version.

2. You can just submit an edit, which will replace the pre-existing story.
 
Where’s the problem?

Coincidentally I recently asked for a story to be deleted and it disappeared from my list last weekend. I didn’t give a reason for requesting the deletion I just submitted as an edit with a request in the notes section “would you please delete this story from my list.”

I intend writing a longer story with the original one forming part of that new story and enjoyable to everyone including all those that gave it a 5 and also those who made favourable comments. The new story may or may not have the original title.

I don’t see any reason why the story would be rejected.
 
My conclusion

1. Multiple versions are OK, for example the same beginning and different endings.

2. Updates should be replacements, not new stories. Do not leave the original and cleaned up versions up together.

References in story forwards against rebooting are talking about a non-existent problem, assuming the above two rules are followed.

Thank you!
 
Back
Top