It wasn't suppose to happen (closed for IvoryValentine)

Annie let her hand slide down Rick's shoulder as he leaned back in his seat, down his strong arm then slipped her hands into her own lap as she leaned forward to look at the road in front of them. It did appear to be letting up a bit but still they had to crawl along the road till visibility increased.

"Oh, I'm not in any hurry to get home..." she said calmly then quickly added, "I mean, I don't think we're in any danger if you drive slowly till you can see where we're going.... and my corner's only a few more miles."

Leaning back against the seat again, Annie felt the urge to wrap her arms around Rick's, feeling his warmth. She quickly dismissed the idea and couldn't help but blush a little at the idea of being so bold.

As her finger tip lightly brushed his forearm it gave him goosebumps. As the rain eased he finally had a chance to look over at Annie to see how she was holding up. The mere sight of her brought a smile to his lips. He had to take a second look, as he wondered what kind of small talk he could come up with, talking to beautiful women had never been his strong suit.. He didn’t want to admit it to himself but, the prettier the woman to more intimidated he felt. It was a vicious circle he felt ill at ease which made them feel uneasy.

He blurted the first thing that came to mind, “Are you blushing?’, as soon as the words left his lips he wanted to take them back. What a question, if she was embarrassed that kind of question certainly wouldn’t make her feel comfortable.

"Oh no." Annie lied, not expecting him to call her out. "I.... it's warm in here is all." was the first excuse that came to mind. In truth, she was very comfortable.

There was a moment of silence when Annie looked up and say her street sign. "This is my corner." she said pointing off o the right. "My house is the small two story, third of the right." The thought of the empty house that was once a home saddened her and Annie added, "Do you want to come in for a coffee?" but as soon as the question left her lips, Annie panicked. Her ex had taken anything he saw value in leaving most rooms empty. Her living room only contained a old rocking chair that had been stored in the basement when they bought the place and a tv tray with a lamp for reading. Thankfully he didn't take her grandmother's dinning set, but the kitchen cupboards looked like something from "little mother huboard". She was slowly replacing all the dishes and the small appliances. The fridge and stove were from a neighbors garage sale and, though they worked well enough, they were both far smaller than the large custom ones that had been taken, leaving huge noticeable gaps in the kitchen. Even the walls looked bare for he had taken their art collection as well. She was so embarrassed of the thought of Rick seeing it like this and feeling pity for her. How she hated pity.

Annie quickly began to back peddle, looking for an excuse for Rick no to take her up on her offer, "But it is late and you likely want to get home. And It's been a long day...." As she rambled on, Annie reached up and began to unzip Rick's hunting jacket then slipped it from her shoulders. The cold air from the cab of the truck made her nipples stand at attention once again. "What time will you pick me up on the 6th for the first graveyard? And how much will I owe you for gas?" she asked as she set his warm coat on the seat to right and reached for her soaked yoga jacket.

He slowed as she announced they were nearing her corner, and when she invited him in for coffee, he was ecstatic, all he wanted was to spend more time with her and to get to know her. but, no sooner as she invited him she began to make excuses like she was looking for a way resend her invitation. His mouth fill open and his face went blank. He just couldn’t keep up with what she was saying, and confuse things even more she was asking what time he could pick her up... His head was spinning.. “I can pick you up at eleven if that’s OK?”, he said the last of his words drowned out by a clap of thunder...

I guess that’s all I’m good for a taxi service, she probably took one one at that ratty old truck and wrote me off. Face it Jim the guys with money get the honeys, she was way out of your league... You were just kidding yourself. He thought for a moment that perhaps she was embarrassed by her home, maybe it was messy, maybe it wasn't furnished yet, maybe paster was falling of the ceiling, he considered all this and more, but if she took so much as a sideway glance at his truck she would have known those kind of things didn't bother him. Maybe the problem was she took a good look at him and his truck.. That was it, it had to be.

Still waiting for her to point out her house he slowed the old truck to a crawl... Hoping to God she wasn’t one of those persons that announces their home only after you pass it.

Last edited:
The street lights didn't do much to light there way and it was till hard to see but as the truck rounded the slight curve in the street, Annie pointed at her house of the left, her body pressing against Rick's as she did. "There. The one with the empty driveway." When she realized she had her chest pressed into his strong arm, Annie couldn't help but blush again. He felt so strong and warm. She slowly pulled away and added, "You can pull into the driveway if you want."

As Rick signaled and turned it, Annie began to regret not making excuses for him not to come in. She was still horrified at the thought of him feeling pity for her but at the same time she really don't want him to leave yet. He reached up and slipped the shifter into park, his arm rubbing against her as he moved. "Thanks again Rick. I'm so used to walking, it was nice to be out of the rain for once." He went to open his door but Annie slipped her arm around his, pulling him back to the center of his seat. "Will you ask me one more question? I mean.... it will give me something to ponder between now and our first graveyard shift...."

Back