Men DOING ... anything but sex

*nods head vehemently in approval of all the new additions :D

I tried my hand at beekeeping about 5 years ago. Made two catastrophic newbie mistakes: waited too long to replace a dead queen in one hive and didn't recognize the other hive was about to swarm. I spent about $150, and the bees only stuck around for two months. I haven't tried since.
Hey that sucks xp! We don't win 'em all I guess.
The local agricultural college here runs a really thorough evening class series each winter - 10 class sessions and 4 Saturday mornings at an apiary - so I had a really good lead-in. Add to that a dear friend in another part of the country who promised me a nucleus of bees as his gift during the second half of the course, and an active local association, so I had a great beginning. My first swarm threat and the woman who runs the beekeepers supplies for our area came with all her gear to take me through what my options were. Come to think of it, I couldn't have asked for a better beginning. I've been at it two seasons now, and I have five hives over-wintering, all from that first nucleus, my five queens her daughters and grand-daughters. :)

We have good programs here, too. I also attended the local beekeeping meetings here, which covered the basics. I read all the books I could get on keeping bees. I built top-bar hives from local lumber. (In hindsight, though, I think I would do langstroth hives if I ever do it again.)

But, honestly, I have enough hobbies as it is -- though I have been itching to get into falconry. Who knows?

I feel my hive choice isn't the best for round here. 'National', very popular with British amateurs. But I'm needing to use a super as well as the brood box for the nest, which is a faf for inspecting. Maybe one of the system with a bigger brood box. Reason is a favourable one for me: I realise now that around where we live is a 'bee heaven' with many large overrun gardens with shrubs and trees which are great for forage for them; thriving colonies need space at home else they'll swarm as you know!

Falconry. wow. Closed book to me. Would produce excellent photos for this thread eh?

men-riding-bikes.jpg

Hey that sucks xp! We don't win 'em all I guess.
The local agricultural college here runs a really thorough evening class series each winter - 10 class sessions and 4 Saturday mornings at an apiary - so I had a really good lead-in. Add to that a dear friend in another part of the country who promised me a nucleus of bees as his gift during the second half of the course, and an active local association, so I had a great beginning. My first swarm threat and the woman who runs the beekeepers supplies for our area came with all her gear to take me through what my options were. Come to think of it, I couldn't have asked for a better beginning. I've been at it two seasons now, and I have five hives over-wintering, all from that first nucleus, my five queens her daughters and grand-daughters. :)

If the bees feed over winter on stored honey, you have to judge how much to leave them and how much to harvest?

Love, love, loving all of the new additions guys! Please keep it up.

Work-overalls-men-Working-coverall-Worker-clothes-for-men-Mechanic-Work-clothes-coveralls-Welding-suit-Men.jpg

I never knew it before but I guess I'd really like to live near a dock on the ocean someday :D

I was asked if I'd contribute a shot, so here is one from a backpacking trip, 10 days in the Wallowa Mountains.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Let's see.... I washed and waxed my Harley and car today!

I was a State Trooper for many years, before I had to get a real job, haha. While there, I had a radio show where folks could call in and ask questions about traffic codes and criminal laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
417525_412319955480623_287342692_n_zpsxnxribsk.jpg

I was a State Trooper for many years, before I had to get a real job, haha. While there, I had a radio show where folks could call in and ask questions about traffic codes and criminal laws.

Sorry, Joe, you don't look mean enough to be a state trooper. :D:rose:

I was asked if I'd contribute a shot, so here is one from a backpacking trip, 10 days in the Wallowa Mountains.
Very beautiful, and you're handsome!
417525_412319955480623_287342692_n_zpsxnxribsk.jpg

Handcuffs...hmmmm...;)

Ok, guys, I love this thread! Keep those wonderful pics coming. Simon, a friend of mine keeps bees and on Saturday, during knitting group, gave us more information than I ever knew. It is a real science. She also told us her "swarm" story. lol

Me a few years ago, before the beard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back