Beyond Time (closed)

"Of course I do," Ashien insisted. His hands splayed intimately across her lower back and one hip. With a deep, content sigh, he relaxed and let his eyes close to simply enjoy her presence. He felt like he finally knew where he belonged.

But the next morning was a rude awakening when the castle was suddenly in an uproar and everyone seemed terrified. The moment Ashien heard the commotion, he rose and dressed quickly to see what was happening. Henry tended to keep a calm atmosphere, so this was troubling.
 
Dylan woke with a start the next morning as there was an uproar outside their door. She watched as Ashien rose and dressed to see what was happening. She knew that she needed to be there to help him, she thought as she pushed herself from bed and quickly pulled on her dress.
 
Ashien was already on the ground floor with Henry when Dylan caught up, and John had joined them with Elizabeth. Military men were everywhere and Henry was roaring out orders.

"Henry! What's going on?" Ashien asked quickly.

"England has been attacked," Henry growled. "It's the French, they're taking Normandy and attacking just west of the opening of the English Channel."

"What do you need from me?" Ashien's gaze became fierce, ready to defend his dear friend's country.

"I need you to rally the cavalry and get them ready to head south, and warn the people of London and their militia. But I don't want you going south, I need you here."

"Yes, sir." Ashien turned to Dylandra, kissing her and taking her hands. "Come with me, love." He hurried outside to get their horses. "I'll head for the soldiers' stables, I need you to go to every tavern and market you can and raise the alarm. The French are quick and they could rush straight through southern England to London in just weeks. The people need to be prepared, and all able men need to be ready to help the militia."
 
"Stay safe for me." Dylan murmured as Ashien gave her instructions. "I just found you and I'm not going to lose you, Ashien Ghis."
 
"I won't get hurt," he assured her. "Not today, at the very least. Now go, ride hard and I'll meet you back here in a few hours." With one last kiss, he mounted his horse and he was gone in a flash. His mastery of horses showed well as he easily weaved between the rush of people back and forth between the castle and buildings on its grounds.
 
Dylan watched until he was gone from her sight before she turned to her horse and pulled herself into the saddle. She pushed the steed into a hard gallop as she turned him in the direction of the town intent on telling everyone that they were under threat of invasion.
 
The first market she came upon was the busiest and her warning sent the people into an organized panic. They rushed off to warn their families and friends, and some storekeepers closed their shops if they were militia men or had work to do to prepare for such an invasion. The next markets and taverns were the same, until Dylandra happened upon a rougher crowd in a tavern called the Thames Arms, and the moment she entered, her exit was blocked. She was surrounded by rough-looking men and only a few serving women among them dealing with their customers' harassment because of their simply being women and all the men trying to take advantage of them.
 
Dylan glanced around at the tavern that she had stumbled into. She had been in seedy places in London during her life, but this all seemed so much more dangerous.

"I am here because the kingdom is being attacked. We need all available men to take up arms and head towards the palace." She said, looking at all the men that were staring her down from the moment that she stepped in through the doors.
 
The entire tavern fell silent, all of them staring at her with a mix of interest and alarm, until one unlikely leader stepped forth. He was far smaller than most of the men, being about Ashien's size and build. He was clearly the barman by his apron and the drying towel over his shoulder. Even though he was only average compared to the tavern full of lumberjacks and miners and hard laborers, Dylandra could see lean muscle rippling under his clothes.

"A'right boys, you 'eard th'lady! Those o' you what ain't drunk, get 'ome and get your weapons! Those o' you what are, yer gonna get yer 'eads crushed in if ya don' sober up righ' now fer the King!" He roared at them all with a heavy Irish accent, and the men scrambled for the doors after leaving money on the table. The barman took Dylandra's arm at the last moment and pulled her out of the way so she wouldn't be trampled. Once the tavern was empty, he met her eyes. "Thank ya, Miss. I'll be right along with 'em once I lock up. Th'King's got the toughest men in England comin' from 'ere. But tell me, what exactly's 'appenin'?"
 
"I'm not sure. The King said that the French were taking Normandy and that we were under attack." Dylan said as she was asked what was going on. "I was told to rally the troops in each town that I came across."
 
The tavernmaster nodded, "Figures it'd be th'French... Alrigh', you better get on yer way, things are about t'get real hectic 'round 'ere." He opened up the door for her. "And thank ya again, Miss."

Outside, Dylandra would see he was right. The street was crazy with activity and she could hear roars of orders, the crying out of fear of children and woman, and the calls of vendors selling supplies, very cheaply now out of fear, to the men getting ready to fight.
 
Dylan watched as the tavernmaster went to help the others get their things together to fight. The sounds in the streets were almost deafening. She felt her heart break slightly for the scared families that would never see their loved ones again after that night.

Dylan made her way back to her horse, pulling herself back into the saddle to make her way back to the palace. She had to hope that Ashien wouldn't run into the danger headlong like he was probably planning to do.
 
As Dylandra arrived, she came upon the assembled first cavalry as they saddled their horses, and she found Ashien darting in between them all, occasionally sending a man to get a different horse, picking clean a horse's hooves, adjusting a saddle or bridle, and acting as the true horsemaster he was. He'd trained many of the men and beasts before him, and he would see them off to battle. Their leading knight gathered them all and soon, they were off, leaving Ashien watching them, holding the reins of his own horse that had carried his tools for helping to get the others ready. He climbed up on his mount's back and came to meet Dylan.

"The second regiment is heading out tomorrow morning. Henry's asked me to stay here and help unless I'm needed down south," he explained to her as he rode back toward the palace with her.
 
"Well, it's a shame that this war has to happen at all, but I'm glad you'll be here with me." Dylandra said as she glanced at Ashien. "I wouldn't want to have to worry about you out there on the front lines."
 
"If things get too heated, you may have to deal with that worry before long," Ashien warned her softly. Upon their arrival, they saw the king talking to a few high-ranking men and sending them off one by one with specific orders. Off to the side, John looked like he was practically guarding the Princess. In their own time, the only inkling of war that John and Dylandra and most Northern Europeans ever dealt with was the occasional loved one or friend joining the army. They'd never been up close to the planning behind and the execution of battle.
 
Dylan stayed close to Ashien as they entered the castle yet again. She had never seen so much chaos, even if it was mostly controlled. It was awe inspiring and a little disorienting.
 
As Henry dealt out his last orders and things settled down, he kissed his daughter's cheek and swept off with one of his generals to what had been designated the 'War Room'. Ashien finally relaxed ever so slightly and John took the hint from Henry to keep Elizabeth safe. Ashien kissed Dylandra's hand and brought her, John, and Elizabeth to the parlor to settle. "Well, that was... unexpected, to say the least... I can't believe France would attack Normandy and England. Henry is half-French and endlessly loyal to them."

John looked to Dylandra then, muttering so Elizabeth didn't hear, "... I really wish I'd paid attention in history class, then I'd know what was happening."
 
Dylan elbowed John hard in the side as he muttered that to her. It was dangerous to let the princess know where they were from. She glared at her friend before she glanced towards Ashien.

"War is waged over the silliest reasons some time." She said softly as Elizabeth looked a little worried and concerned about what was happening outside the palace walls.
 
John held back a grunt at the sharp elbowing, though Ashien noticed and took Dylandra's hand. "It may be a misunderstanding... hopefully one that will be settled soon."

They remained in the parlor for some time, until Henry returned and Ashien rose to face him. "Ashien, I have a favor to ask," Henry laid a hand on his horsemaster's shoulder.

"Of course," Ashien nodded.

"Return home, and take Elizabeth with you. I don't want her in the way of danger if it decides to strike here."

"Henry, I-"

"It's safer for her to be away from home. No one will expect her to be gone from my side as I'm so protective of her. Take her with you." He then looked to John, "I'm trusting you and Ashien both to protect her. Do not fail me."

"Yes, sir," John nodded resolutely. Inside, he was quaking and Dylandra could see it. Protect the Princess of England? John had never protected more than a teammate making a shot in a football match.
 
"Father, no..." Elizabeth said, trying to argue that she needed to stay with him in the palace. She didn't want to say goodbye to him because she knew very well that it might be the last time that she saw him alive.

Dylan knew that John agreed, but was afraid inside. It wouldn't be easy to keep Elizabeth safe, but they were more than ready for the task. "We will keep her safe, your highness." Dylan said softly, bowing her head towards him in difference of his position.
 
"Don't argue with me this time, dear," Henry pleaded softly, stepping forth to kiss his daughter's forehead. "Stay safe, and keep close to them. If anything should happen to you, I'd be useless to England. And if anything were to happen to me... England would need you and Lord Ashien. Don't do anything foolish..."
 
"Father, I'm not going to let you go." Elizabeth said as she grabbed her father's wrist, struggling to keep him there with her. "You're all that I have..."
 
"And you're all that I have, so I won't risk you," Henry hugged her tightly and took her hand from his wrist. He nodded to Ashien and John, and Ashien placed his hands on Elizabeth's shoulders to keep her there as Henry turned away with one last glance to his daughter. He left her with his most trusted friend and disappeared from the castle.
 
Elizabeth was beside herself as she watched her father go, Ashien's hands on her shoulders keeping her there as she watched him disappear. She felt tears pricking her eyes but she was stubborn enough to not let them fall. What would happen if her father died in battle? She couldn't even think about that right now.

Dylan glanced at John and Ashien, letting out a soft sigh. "Let's go back to Darkwood. It would be safer there away from the city."
 
John gently took Elizabeth's arm in his own, and between Ashien and himself, they led the two women away. They rode back to Darkwood in relative silence and once there, Van came out to meet them when he heard the horses. He heard the fourth horse and paused a moment until Ashien told the blind man who it was.

"Van, could you prepare an extra room tonight for the Princess?"

"Of course," Van smiled, approaching Elizabeth. She'd known him her most of her life as the brother of the famed healer Vincenzo and later as a serving man as he'd worked at the palace before he'd become Ashien's housekeeper. "Welcome to Darkwood, milady," he told her softly. He'd always been very fond of her. No one had to tell him that she was upset, he knew what was going on and he knew that under no normal circumstances would Henry send his beloved daughter away, and she didn't like to be away anyhow.

Kiva, whom Elizabeth didn't know but had heard of, came out to get their horses and Ashien took the group inside, welcoming Kiva to join them for drinks. Van brought out wine and tea for the four and John took a seat beside Elizabeth in the library while Ashien and Dylandra sat across from them. Ashien was clearly concerned for Elizabeth's own emotional turmoil, and he reached across to touch her hand. "I know it's hard to be away from your father... but I hope you can enjoy your time here, Elizabeth. You're safe and you're with people who care."
 
Back
Top