Rick's Rooftop...an OOC lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariosto

Celestial Navigator
Joined
May 19, 2001
Posts
5,961
Rick's Rooftop lounge and Piano Bar is an addition to the Café Americain. Located above that lively cabaret it is meant to provide a pleasent, informal atmosphere for discussion and dialogue concerning our activities on the SRP board. The Rooftop is not a thread itself but a common meeting ground for players on many other story threads to get together.

In order to provide a format for meaningful conversations the following rules need to be followed.
First, each player is limited to six posts per day. This is to level the playing field between those who can only post rarely and those with the leisure to post a dozen times a day or more.
Second, flirtation is to be kept under control. Conversation is the heart of the Rooftop so conduct should be measured by what would be acceptable in a public environment. Flirting is fun but unfortunately can rapidly become the essence of the thread.

The Rooftop is not at odds with the Café, in fact it's an offshoot of it, meant to provide a quieter ambiance
for constructive dialogue.

Please come up.
We have cool jazz, fine beverages and a spectacular view of Casablanca and the wide green sea beyond...
 

Attachments

  • oasis.jpg
    oasis.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,178
Last edited:
Ari checks everything for the thousandth time. This has been a risk, he's sunk a large investment of cash and reputation into this place. He stands to lose a great deal. He sits at the table by the potted palms and sips his martini. Is he nervous? No he always forgets to wear his socks.....
 
It's very lovely Ari... thank you !

So I know for sure..this is where we can talk about first time writing jitters (like what I've been working through) or/and if anyone has seen "Life as a House"?

I know I can be a prolific poster downstairs.. so.. I promise to be *good*.

I look forward to reading the conversations.. they should be most 'interesting'.. as we have some very smart and interesting people here.

Plus.. its good to have a place to just be quiet and talk.

Thank you!
 
Hello, lover. (I toss Ari a pair of socks)
Just thought I'd pop up to see the new place.
Verrrrrry nice!
 
Training his binoculars on the rooftop from his office nearby ...

I, too, promise to be good when I visit. As long as I can still be a flirtatious, smug, wise ass downstairs.
 
Question...Are one on one threads too exclusive?

"Thanks Turk," Ariosto sips the cool martini and leans back watching the sun setting over the Atlantic and the evening star twinkling in the west.
Turning to his lovely companion, he says,

"My Dear, Thors Hammer recently put up a thread that delt rather sarcasticaly with the concept of one on one threads, indicating they were too exclusive in shutting out other players. I was wondering what you thought of this?"

Swirling his olive about, he waits for a reply...
 
A shadow slips through the doorway and stands for a moment, one foot still on the last stair as though she might change her mind at any moment and bolt back down and out into the desert night.

"Good evening."

Her hand, clutching the doorknob as though it were her last friend on earth, loosens its hold just a little. Her eyes sweep the rooftop, taking in various details, but lingering nowhere. It still would seem that she is uncertain whether to go or stay.

The day's heat has left a little shine on her cheekbones and a few whisps of soft, fine hair have escaped from her tortoiseshell combs. The white linen of her dress is wilted, but still pristine. There is a small, neat, crocodile-skin valise in her free hand. An airline baggage tag is still fastened to the handle.

Her eyebrows suddenly lift and a glint of laughter comes into her pensive eyes. She has caught a glimpse of the proprietor in all his nervous glory.

"Nice...socks," she says, and winks.
 
After my time in the desert, I need a place of quiet, of peace, of a nice cool drink. Walking back down the narrow street, I see the place where I used to be in charge of the bar. Nope, not there....I want peace.....to think.

And then I see it - Rick's Rooftop Lounge? Hmmm....okay, I'm game.

Looking at the steps, I sigh, taking one at a time. Stepping into the room, I see my old friend - seemingly talking to himself again, requisite martini in hand. I feel refreshed just walking in the door. Grabbing a Jack Daniels on ice, I walk over to the table, and give him a smile.

"Hello Ari, dear! You finally managed it! Good for you!"

Settling into a chair, I take a sip, and lean back.

"Now what is this about Thor? Against closed threads,eh? Well, I've often wondered myself why I don't take some of my closed thread to email, but frankly, I've already done that and it is too simple for the other persons not respond as efficiently as they do if they realize the whole world of Lit is watching. I personally would love to start fewer threads - incorporate new people. However, every thread that I have started with the exception of one, that wasn't private, sand right to page 11 by the 2nd day. The only way I can start threads that stay going is by securing the talent myself and keeping it closed.

Okay, so I've posted enough for 12 individual posts! But I kept it at one! Neener, neener, neener!" :)
 
I read Thor's thread on this.

I think that what he may be really digruntled about is being drawn into reading a threat that by the title or author alone may hold great intrest to him. Finding out only after his intrest is peaked that it is closed is what I think is his real gripe. If this is true then to me simply indicating that it's a closed thread in the thread title would solve this problem.
 
If a casual observer might venture an opinion

It probably is indeed disappointing to become interested in the time or setting of a given thread only to find that participation is barred by its being "closed." On the other hand, some kind of control has to be exercised in order to produce something of at least marginal literary value, I would think.

From what I have seen, the writers on this board are of varied levels of talent and experience, and are stylistically very diverse as well. Maybe a good compromise would be to have some kind of system of "auditioning" by submitting a proposal for a character before actually starting to write in the thread. There are many threads here currently with compelling premises which fail to live up to their true potential because the cast simply cannot work as an ensemble. There is no effort to sustain a certain mood or style from post to post. (Of course this is not true of every thread. Some of them are beautiful, balanced, and almost seamless though written by two or more writers.)

I hope you will forgive me for speaking so directly when I have no credentials on this board at all. But that is my honest opinion :)
 
Melusine, you need no other credentials other than an ability to express yourself which you obviously have. You really hit the nail on the head with ensemble threads. They can be like wrestling an octopus with attitude. And when some male writers occupy the same thread!? It can be like having two Siamese fighting fish in the same brandy snifter. Sometimes it's nice just to slip into the gentle ebb and flow of a one-on-one thread. Just my opinion, even if it is a little fishy.

Now if everyone will excuse me, I need to get back downstairs.

Oh and Melusine, come downstairs to the Club Americaine for a warm welcome to LIT and a free drink.
 
Greetings, melusine

But make sure two bring two books plus a record for the new Wurlitzer :)
 
We are all a bit voyeuristic...

I have seen a number of extremely well thought out threads founder because the players participating on a first come first served basis have proved too erratic in style and undependable
in posting. Large multi character threads are hard to co-ordinate under the best of conditions. I think though the nature of the thread is all important...some are loose and forgiving by nature but on others it is best to hand pick a cast of dependable players
or risk a lot of problems.
One on ones are wonderfully intimate threads but to say they should all be e-mailed is to deny the whole concept of this site.
We are all a bit voyeuristic or I don't think we'd be here. To see our words on the screen and know that others can read them is part of the thrill isn't it?

Ari leans back and lights a thin cheroot.
 
I agree 100% Ariosto

I was not suggesting eliminating the one to one thread or the multi-player closed thread. It provides some of the most well written erotica on the boards. What I am suggesting is a simple system that allows a way for the casual readers and other writers to know what to expect before they open a thread to read.

The same way a thread is designated OOC...why not initiate a simple CT...closed thread designation. This would be a simple way for people to find what they are looking for or avoid what they're not looking for. There are so many threads on these boards at any given time that if real time is a rl factor in posting and/or reading this could help people avoid the frustrations without having any impact on the treads themselves.

It's just an idea....
 
The controversy is healthy!

I am so glad that my "little" comment drew some interest. Self examination is always healthy, even for elitists.

I HAVE IT we need classes of posters. (Placing tongue firmly in cheek)

Class 1 Really clever people who should not have their truly magnificent writing skills sullied by other than their chosen (is that anointed) folk.

Class 2 Writers who tend to crash into the top of buildings when they try to soar like Class 1 eagles. They should be accorded the right to make pertemporary challenges to winnow out the chaff.

Class 3 Alas, these moderately talented people can only maunder about - needing the leadership of the aforementioned classes.

Class 4 Pathetic, puerile, usually very young. They are relegated to the lower regions - allowed to play cretins upon the blessing of Class 1 players.

Class 5 Hopeless, should have the government confiscate their computers so they do not pollute the higher order of posters.

As Sexy Chele observed, E-mail does work. If two (or three or four - but gosh, I have NEVER seen a PRIVATE thread for more than TWO players) people want to spar, have at it. Try E-mail, phone sex, smoke signals, whatever. Just don't inflict it on us - or at least warn us in the title so we (those of us that choose) can ignore it.

As a final thought, some of the VERY best threads always have people "we" (those of us who have been around for awhile) do not know. Call it synergy, energy, just plain fun - it happens. The very rarity makes it all the more fun.

I type pathetically slowly, so this is a labor of........well........
 
Last edited:
And so goes the razor-sharp wit of Thor. Touche, my friend. I'm wondering when synergy will strike and we will be able to write a one-on-one for all to see. But I say this only in a vain attempt to entice you to tango with the bee. Vain because I know your feelings and could never ask you to compromise them.

*sigh*

Still a girl can dream. All of this said with the aforementioned tongue-in-cheek. Except the friend part. You helped me on one of my very first threads and I haven't forgotten it. Love ya, Thor.
 
<smile>

Honey_B - just when my caustic ascerbic tongue is unleashed, someone like you says something really nice. Thank you. It is people like you that make me wish to hang about this venue......

<--a very deep (even for Thor) bow.......and a smile and a wave of the hand
 
Lit like in the R W has many different people with different needs. I am working on a thread with a new writer who wanted a closed thread first time out. I myself am new only writing here for a month or so.

Another writer here at lit asked me for an e-mail thread. I see potential in this writer but she has self doubt about her abilities. I wish she didn't. I find her very charming and wish I could share it with others.

Some of us male, and female writers can be very dominant in our style. This can scare some other writers. I feel the best writing comes when there is a certain comfort level for all involved. We at times forget that we can use PMing to check out our next post with others. Not the post its' self but a proposed action or turn in plot.

I do not mean to ramble. But different needs for different people. When all is said and done we are inhabitants of the RW behind our pen names.
 
Oh, how I do love a good discussion! Actually, I've seen a couple of threads with the idea of "Closed Thread" or "Private Thread" in the title, and I think it's an excellent idea. Unfortunately, unless ShyGuy, Hecate, or Laurel are willing to change titles, the threads stay as they is.

I've been involved in several "huge" casts - and to say they are difficult is an understatement! They can be nearly impossible to manage, unless the person starting the thread is extremely strong and willing to confront those in the thread who are not keeping the basic idea of the thread going. Also, egos get involved, and, unfortunately, it takes a strong personality to hammer out those differences. "Hawkes" was very much like that. A fun thread to be involved in, but a LOT of behind the scenes work and "quibbling".

Another aspect of large threads is the opportunity to work with many different writers at different levels. The problem? People have a tendency to "pair off" - sometimes almost immediately, and usually the same couples over and over and over. It can be very "tough" for newbies to break in, especially when the other writers are well established and want to "couple up", leaving the newbie feeling as though they are intruding. I remember this happening with the first few threads I was on. It made me very uncomfortable.

I like working with people who are new, but, Ari noted, some come to the boards, post once or twice, and then disappear. It's just the cost of the game, I guess, but terribly disappointing if you've spent a great deal developing the story only to be left "high and dry".

I truly wish that I had the "magic" to start threads that attract people - newbies as well as "oldsters". I would love to start threads and have friends and people new to the boards want to post. But....my imagination just isn't there. As I said, with the exception of one thread, all have sunk - unless I went out and enlisted the help and cooperation of those who I posted with before. I have since found that, for threads that I start anyway, it works better if I secure the cast before hand. Now, if some one wants to join, and can add to it, then I welcome PMs and ideas. Who knows where that can lead? Maybe something quite wonderful.

And Thor? Sweetie? You do understand that you are one of the MOST elusive male writers on this board? I swear, you write beautifully, you are fun, but you are so darn hard to get hold of! It frustrates most of us women to no end, in case you hadn't noticed! So there! All of us know who you are, but we can never entice you to post with us - do we have to beg? ;)

Keep up the discussion - this is great. And, oh! I need a new drink...
 
Hi all.. a very good discussion!

I'd like to add something from the perspective a new newbie.. me. *grin*

If I wanted to have virtual sex I certainly wouldn't have registered to participate on the board. I would do that in the privacy of my email and IM's. But I did register so I could take a step in writing erotica 'with' others...

This really is very new. And I'll be honest.. after I posted I started to wonder if I was up to the task.. especially if people were going to read it !!! "eek"

So I think taking a 'story' to email defeats that ..at least it does for me.

But to know I could try my wings with ONE person I trusted was a big thing for me. I was very grateful... to know I could work out the storyline on PM's.. make changes.. know that person wasn't going to push me or demand from me. That is a great gift to a new writer.

I know that people come here with varied backgrounds of writing erotica.. so they would of course have different expectations.

I think one of the things I have enjoyed IS reading the threads. I feel I have been learning from them and some of the best have been the threads between two people.. to see them build and play off each other.

I don't know.. but for me...a lot of this is about the 'writing'.. experimenting.. doing something 'new'.

And I for one was grateful to start out in a closed thread. I certainly didn't mean for it be considered unwelcoming.. but only that it kept me from feeling out-on-a-limb. I certainly don't plan that every thread I be in be closed... but gee..there are so many storylines.. the possiblities are endless !!!!

So.. now that I've rambled.. I think the bottom line for me is.. there is room for both. And a need for both closed and open threads.

Thank You *curtsy*
 
Last edited:
BLUSH LOL!

Thanks Faith!!!!! *high-fives Faith*

Say? Can we have the party downstairs in the Cafe tomorrow night? When there are more people around???
 
I'd like to thank you all for our first day at the Rooftop. We had an excellent discussion and as we drift into the later hours of the night our fine piano player will play Rhapsody in Blue and the house will stand everyone to a beverage of their choice.
Each morning in so far as possible I'll try to throw out another topic for discussion.

Thanks again,

Ari
 
Slaming

I have noticed several incidents sense joining Lit of people slamming. It takes two forms.

1) They will come in with a "Donkey Kong" attack, Killing or beating the originator of a thread. Normally a newbie. These individuals hit and then disappear, to reappear under new names. Same style of attack and writing.

2) The second is harder to deal with. I made a very bad joke at the club once. The individual who I unintentional offended was and still is a friend. But people have come in and said things without knowing all the facts or contacting the individual by PM to find out if things have been worked out or not. We all wish to defend our friends here at lit. I know I do. But the boards should not be the first step. Rather than helping it could be driving the one you wish to defend away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top