Canada from Eh to Zed

Is Canada a province of the USA?

Ummm, at the risk of being impolite, I quote Rick Mercer: We're bigger than they are (the USA) and we're on top. If we were in prison, they'd be our bitch.

Of course, we mean that in the nicest way. :D

Have a good day. :)

Ooh, I hate you guys. I believe, dammit!

Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy too? Perhaps the Great Pumpkin?

--

Dude! Another 5 bonus points and a hockey stick signed by Gordie Howe for you amigo!

That would be a prize. Really.

Ah, Anne of Green Gables, quite possibly the only Canadian television show to crack a thousand viewers, lol. Seriously well done.

I really like The Untalkative Bunny. It's a shame that show didn't make it down here.

How does a country choose a national symbol? I’m no historian, (though I do watch the History Channel when there’s no curling on), but I think that a national symbol should reflect the character of the citizens of the country it represents.

Take the bald eagle, for example…

American-Eagle-and-Flag-II-Print-C10055018.jpeg

A majestic animal, awe inspiring, fierce and noble.

Now let’s consider Canada’s national symbol…

canadian-beaver.jpg

Nuff said?

Yes, here in Canada, we love our beaver so much we made it our national symbol. But you haven’t really “made it” in Canada until you’ve appeared on a beer commercial.

Or two.

Rock on you buck-toothed, wood chewing, tail-flapping, water-dwelling, nationally-significant rodent

well, the beaver is awfully industrious...and quite environmentally powerful in their silent, toothy way.

you guys really shouldn't have put the t-shirt on him though. really.

I love Canada. I'd love to live in Montreal or Toronto.

Pick Montreal...trust me.

I really like The Untalkative Bunny. It's a shame that show didn't make it down here.

Here's a TV moment every Canuck, (and German), over the age of 35 will recognize.

you guys really shouldn't have put the t-shirt on him though. really.

Oh, he chose that himself. Since he signed that deal with Hudson's Bay to be on their coat of arms, he gets all the free stuff he wants. But yes, horrible fashion sense. He's brown and so obviously he should choose colours from the "fall" colour palette.

oh and thanks for tip on PE island...i'll make sure to bring along some Coronas to woo the locals (everyone loves mexican beer right? ;)). tho i have to say, the tv series version of Avonlea was not so great...none of the steamy hot love scenes like the movies (and by "love scenes" i mean kissing for more than 2 seconds at a time). that Gil was one hot tamale....:heart:

How does a country choose a national symbol? I’m no historian, (though I do watch the History Channel when there’s no curling on), but I think that a national symbol should reflect the character of the citizens of the country it represents.

Take the bald eagle, for example…

American-Eagle-and-Flag-II-Print-C10055018.jpeg

A majestic animal, awe inspiring, fierce and noble.

Now let’s consider Canada’s national symbol…

canadian-beaver.jpg

Nuff said?

Yes, here in Canada, we love our beaver so much we made it our national symbol. But you haven’t really “made it” in Canada until you’ve appeared on a beer commercial.

Or two.

Rock on you buck-toothed, wood chewing, tail-flapping, water-dwelling, nationally-significant rodent

Ben Franklin lobbied for the wild turkey, as a break from the imperial eagles of the Continent. He was only slightly kidding.

Ben Franklin lobbied for the wild turkey, as a break from the imperial eagles of the Continent. He was only slightly kidding.

Wild turkeys are gorgeous birds, though perhaps they lack the ferocious aspect of the bald eagle.

I do find it interesting that both our countries did a fine job of nearly wiping out our national symbols.

Note: If a country declares you their national symbol...RUN!!

Size does matter, yes. :)

I better give you 10 bonus points and a gallon of maple syrup for that gem, Chy!
Thank you. They're a favorite group at my house. The War of 1812 is another good song of theirs, though the kids LOVE History is Made by Stupid People.

And is it possible to trade the maple syrup for a taste of absinthe? Last I checked the only chance of trying it in the States is if you can sneak it by customs. You fine neighbors up north are the closest that have any.

Last edited:
Ummm, at the risk of being impolite, I quote Rick Mercer: We're bigger than they are (the USA) and we're on top. If we were in prison, they'd be our bitch.

Of course, we mean that in the nicest way. :D

Have a good day. :)

We have Florida, so we are obviously hung

Well, I had two “Proud to be a Canuck” moments while reading the news this morning.

The first was when I read about the way Canadian fans behaved during the Women’s hockey medal’s ceremony…

“Several Americans were in tears, including four-time Olympians Angela Ruggiero and Jenny Potter, who had her two children on the ice with her for the medal presentation. The Canadian crowd raised a chant of "U-S-A!" while the players got their bouquets.”

The second was a quote from Canadian Figure skater Joannie Rochette on receiving the bronze medal.

“I feel proud and the result didn’t matter.”

I just don't mind losing the gold to Team Canada. You guys have a helluva team, and, honestly, it's Canadian home ice. Canada should win, dammit.

And, hell, after a medal ceremony like that, you just gotta love the Canadian fans.

ETA: And Erika Lawler is sooo cute. She's like a miniature hockey player. Plays well though, wow. She makes use of every inch.

Last edited:
Thank you. They're a favorite group at my house. The War of 1812 is another good song of theirs, though the kids LOVE History is Made by Stupid People.

And is it possible to trade the maple syrup for a taste of absinthe? Last I checked the only chance of trying it in the States is if you can sneak it by customs. You fine neighbors up north are the closest that have any.

You're not allowed to have absinthe in the US? You're pulling my leg! Next you're going to tell me that marijuana is illegal there too.

I've sent this is too many people already.

What do the students and faculty of Murry State University know about Canada.:eek::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-M06kWJeto&NR=1

So K when are you going to become part of North America??:rolleyes:

:eek:

Oh, if we're welcome we'll join North America but we don't want to intrude or anything. That would be rude.

Actually that video was likely inspired by Rick Mercer's famous "Talking to Americans", which will make you howl. The YouTube version is pretty crappy but here's a snippet.

FYI - Rick Mercer is Canada's Jon Stewart.

I just don't mind losing the gold to Team Canada. You guys have a helluva team, and, honestly, it's Canadian home ice. Canada should win, dammit.

And, hell, after a medal ceremony like that, you just gotta love the Canadian fans.

ETA: And Erika Lawler is sooo cute. She's like a miniature hockey player. Plays well though, wow. She makes use of every inch.

There were a lot of hockey hotties out there, on both sides!

Yeah, those girls have an amazing work ethic and team spirit. Good for them. Plus, I think it helps that Canada is very supportive of women's hockey.

But team USA kept them hopping, from all accounts.

I've heard that absinthe is no longer illegal in the US, but only certain quantities? Or certain dilutions? Or something? Yeah, here we go, Wikipedia says:
The prevailing consensus of interpretation of United States law and regulations among American absinthe connoisseurs is that, with the revision of thujone levels by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), it is now legal to purchase such a product for personal use in the U.S. According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) food and beverages that contain Artemisia species must be thujone free. Thujone free is defined as containing less than 10ppm thujone. There is no corresponding US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) regulation. Regarding importation of absinthe, U.S. Customs and Border Protection allows importation of absinthe products subject to the following restrictions:

* The product must be thujone-free as described above,
* The name "absinthe" can neither be the brand name nor stand alone on the label, and
* The packaging cannot "project images of hallucinogenic, psychotropic or mind-altering effects."

Absinthe imported in violation of these regulations can be seized. Absinthe can be and occasionally is seized by United States Customs and Border Protection if it appears to be for human consumption.

A faux-absinthe liquor called Absente, made with southern wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) instead of grande wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), is sold legally in the United States. This was the first US approval referring to "absinthe" on the front label; the front label says "Absinthe Refined" but the TTB classified the product as liqueur. In 2007, TTB relaxed the US absinthe ban, and has now approved over 50 brands for sale. These brands must pass TTB testing, which is conducted using Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry. The TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA’s test measures less than 10ppm (equal to 10 mg/kg) thujone. St. George Spirits, a California distillery, also began producing and selling absinthe in 2007, the first US company to do so since 1912.
So basically it's legal if you don't have any fun with it.

And did anyone expect any different from Canucks?

Skating, playing hockey, drinking beer...kind of what we do. ;)
Apparently, the IOC's got a stick up their ass about it.

Can't say I've ever known a hockey player who wasn't a brewski fan.

I've heard that absinthe is no longer illegal in the US, but only certain quantities? Or certain dilutions? Or something? Yeah, here we go, Wikipedia says:

So basically it's legal if you don't have any fun with it.

Bummer about that. LOL.

(I've actually never tried it).

Well, at least our women's hockey team wasn't drinking absinthe! You can only imagine the scandal that would cause. *Gasp*

I've never tried it either. When I was in New Orleans in 2008, there was a place on Bourbon Street that claimed to have absinthe, but I didn't get to check it out. What fun is the stuff if they take away the green fairy?!

Back