Nova's Closet

Long faults produce long, strong quakes. The 2011 Tōhoku (Fukushima) 9.1 quake lasted awhile. At a nearby seismologists' conference, all attendees whipped out their watches when the shaking started -- and freaked after three minutes.

That fault was lengthy. The Cascadia fault just off Oregon and Washington is longer; the next quake will be worse. When it slips, probably everything near and west of the I-5 highway in those states will go away. Say bye-bye to Portland, Seattle, et al. No, we won't move to Astoria.

I've mostly been elsewhere during big shakes, missing the excitement. That's fine with me. Hint: Live atop a thick rocky outcrop. Build not on sediment.

The ancient Chinese used to refer to that as "build on the Dragon's back".

Hypoxia said:
Violas don't lend themselves to fingerpicking.
It's big enough !
Small fretless gut- or nylon-string axes alone do not project when picked or plucked. Pizzicato needs a whole string section. BTW unlike little violins and mandolins, the larger violas and mandolas have no fixed size. Mastering varied scale lengths is tricky, like adapting one's Selectric touch-typing skill to a tablet's virtual 'keyboard'.

Small fretless gut- or nylon-string axes alone do not project when picked or plucked. Pizzicato needs a whole string section. BTW unlike little violins and mandolins, the larger violas and mandolas have no fixed size. Mastering varied scale lengths is tricky, like adapting one's Selectric touch-typing skill to a tablet's virtual 'keyboard'.

Oh, Right. Thanks

Earthquakes are so scary to me. I've only ever felt small ones. I would probably freak if I ever felt one over 5.0.

Some can last a really long time right? I mean, some probably seem to last longer than others. The jolts really scare me. When you feel the first one and then another one right after that! Yikes!!
Yikes is right. No thank you. We had a teeny-tiny earthquake happen near here a few years back. Freaked me the freak out! I'd much rather face the tornadoes we get. Which are horrid. Still.

The Cascadia fault just off Oregon and Washington is longer; the next quake will be worse. When it slips, probably everything near and west of the I-5 highway in those states will go away. Say bye-bye to Portland, Seattle, et al. No, we won't move to Astoria.
I think about this type of happening often. One day, one of those major fault lines out west is going to do what it threatens to do. :eek:

I think about this type of happening often. One day, one of those major fault lines out west is going to do what it threatens to do. :eek:
Cf. Pacific Ring of Fire. But note that some of the strongest known North American quakes occurred in the New Madrid (Missouri) fault along the Mississippi River. The world shakes where plates collide and rub seductively, whispering, "Now, baby, NOW!"

Cf. Pacific Ring of Fire. But note that some of the strongest known North American quakes occurred in the New Madrid (Missouri) fault along the Mississippi River. The world shakes where plates collide and rub seductively, whispering, "Now, baby, NOW!"

Sadly, the outcome of this seductive movement is catastrophe and chaos for all.

New York is moving towards Texas at about 2 cm a year, putting great stress of the New Madrid fault, and even greater stress on New Yorkers and Texans worrying about their new neighbors to be.

New York is moving towards Texas at about 2 cm a year, putting great stress of the New Madrid fault, and even greater stress on New Yorkers and Texans worrying about their new neighbors to be.

Even the greyhound bus moves quicker than that !

New York will get to Texas about the same time as Hawaii gets to Japan. :D

New York will get to Texas about the same time as Hawaii gets to Japan. :D
Have patience. The Olympic peninsula used to be around Tonga. And Los Angeles will sit beside San Francisco. Culture clash!

I can prove time travel to the past is impossible. People fuck up stuff. If any human or equivalent had journeyed back to the Big Bang, they would have fucked it up. Our very existence proves that did not and can not happen.

But engineers are ambitious. Some will drill down into the earth, through the crust and mantle to our planet's molton core. And they'll fuck it up. Then mid-ocean ridges will erupt and continental plates and terrenes will move faster. Austin and Albany could coincide within our grandchildren's lifetimes. Get ready.

I think our heavy snowfall has shifted Earth's balance. Hang on to something.

But engineers are ambitious. Some will drill down into the earth, through the crust and mantle to our planet's molten core. And they'll fuck it up.

The Russians got the deepest hole ever drilled. It's in the Kola area and I think they got down to 12000m (7.5 miles).
Pity they couldn't do that trick with water heating (or maybe I am mixed up).

The Russians got the deepest hole ever drilled. It's in the Kola area and I think they got down to 12000m (7.5 miles).
Pity they couldn't do that trick with water heating (or maybe I am mixed up).
I envisage a googoolwatt laser aimed down to punch a hole through our doomed planet's core and beyond. Where is your gravity NOW, heathen? On a smaller scale, such could burn mile-deep and -wide trenches around USA to serve as moats. Fuck the wall. Moats are tougher. But I digress.

Another way to move locales: rebuild Earth as a giant Tetris globe. Shift the Europe and US South crustal blocks next to Bolivia for easy access to cocaine. Move the China block between Hawai'i and California to quickly ship WalMart products to gringos. If the MidEast block submerges totally, who will care? [/me looks over shoulder for lurking sheiks]

I envisage a googoolwatt laser aimed down to punch a hole through our doomed planet's core and beyond. Where is your gravity NOW, heathen? On a smaller scale, such could burn mile-deep and -wide trenches around USA to serve as moats. Fuck the wall. Moats are tougher. But I digress.

If the MidEast block submerges totally, who will care? [/me looks over shoulder for lurking sheiks]

Remind me so send you that joke about water. . . .

Hypoxia said:
The world shakes where plates collide and rub seductively, whispering, "Now, baby, NOW!"
She makes catastrophe seem sexy.

Handley Page said:
Sadly, the outcome of this seductive movement is catastrophe and chaos for all.
He makes chaos seem scary. In a sexy way.

Or maybe my mind is stuck on sex no matter the topic? :confused:

Fuck the wall. Moats are tougher. But I digress.
I adore digressions! Take them all the time. They make for fascinating conversations.

Another way to move locales: rebuild Earth as a giant Tetris globe. Shift the Europe and US South crustal blocks next to Bolivia for easy access to cocaine. Move the China block between Hawai'i and California to quickly ship WalMart products to gringos. If the MidEast block submerges totally, who will care? [/me looks over shoulder for lurking sheiks]
fZKGKtnt.gif
<<lurking sheik

Mmm. Sheiks. Harems. Reverse harems! Reverse cowgirl. Cowboys. Chaps (your pick on which kind). British accents (no secret which one I chose). Brexit. Politics. Ugh. My digression train derailed. :(

Back to Tetris. Kind of. I've always thought it would be fun to have a Lego Earth. We could put places wherever the heck we wanted...kinda like the British Empire did when they partitioned the hell out of everywhere.

Nah. Not that. Better than that.

xypsx4vm.jpg

Last edited:
I wish someone would make chaos seem sexy!

Where's that guy? I'd vote for him in a second!

For every hero, there's heroin.
For every case, there's casein.
But love often lacks a love-in.

When love is outlawed, only outlaws will love.
Many LIT readers would be in a pickle then.
Or the pickles may be inside them. Right.

Did Wonder Woman toss anyone over her shoulder?
Before or after her Lasso of Truth laid them bare?

Back